Preview Round 14 2024 - GWS Giants v Port Adelaide, Sunday 16 June, 4.00 pm AEST @ Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
A very disappointing loss to the Hawks last round. Yes, it was coming off a bye (and we are historically poor in that circumstance), yes it was away and in Tassie (again, not a great record), and yes we had significant injuries ... but last year we overcame all of those issues for our run in the second half of the season. This year, we just seem to be running in treacle. We win the ball in a hard conest, then handpass it straight to an opposition player to give them an easy breakaway. We have a 3 on 1 in our F50, and inexplicably kick it to the 1 opposition player, giving them an easy rebound. It's dumb stuff, it's poor skills, it's frustrating to watch.

I don't know what Kingers can do to overcome it, but he needs to do it fast, otherwise this season will slip out of our grasp pretty quickly.

Personnel-wise, I'm not sure who will be ready to come back. if Buckley and Kelly were to be ready, I think there's no doubt they will, but that's "if". No point in rushing them back, only to lose them to an injury again for being prematurely playing. Of those who played, Callum Brown was disappointing, but off the back of his first suspension and (including the bye round) 4 missed weeks, I think he'll keep his place in the hope that he's better next week. Otherwise, the VFL team was well beaten by Box Hill Hawks, and I can't see too many there putting their hands up. Rowston only had 16 disposals & 4 clearances, so not really busting the door down. Toby McMullin had 21 disposals & 7 clearances backing up from his sub-role on Saturday, so keeps his name on the selectors' minds. I suspect we'll tinker only to a minor extent, and hope that the boys can lift at home against Port.

What are your thoughts?

Hopefully our team gets inspired by our last match against Port - a fantastic semi final win in Adelaide last year!

Its been more than 10 years since we last played Port at Giants (Engie) Stadium - we have only played Port twice here (2012 and 2013) for a 1-1 record.

At least the Giants stadium record crowd for a match against Port should fall this Sunday - 6811 set in our inaugural 2012 season, and which was one of our only two wins in 2012. If we get a good crowd then even the 10,028 record crowd that we got against Port at Manuka may also be broken. However, knowing our luck it will probably rain and there will be yet another trackwork!

I don't know why the Hawks loss is such a disappointing loss.

The Hawks are on a run at the moment. I didn't expect a win, the Hawks ladder position doesn't tell the full story.

With everything going on with our squad, it's the lack of rhythm and composure for me. Not the lack of talent. It'll build up in time (good), just not sure it'll build up quickly enough to make an impact for finals.

Another coin toss for me.

I don't know why the Hawks loss is such a disappointing loss.

The Hawks are on a run at the moment. I didn't expect a win, the Hawks ladder position doesn't tell the full story.

With everything going on with our squad, it's the lack of rhythm and composure for me. Not the lack of talent. It'll build up in time (good), just not sure it'll build up quickly enough to make an impact for finals.

Another coin toss for me.
Because it’s not that we lost but the way we lost.

And more specifically, we were in a great position to win and then coughed it up. The emotions go a lot differently to the 'almost definitely lost and fought back to just miss out on the win' scenario, even if the result is the same and the only difference is whether it was a good first half or second half.

Port are coming off the bye, a bad loss to Carlton at home, and an easy win against North. Not good preparation when you have to travel.

If we lose this we're not serious about the rest of the season.
And after Port, we play the return derby against a rampaging top of the ladder Swans. Really need to beat Port this weekend

Port are coming off the bye, a bad loss to Carlton at home, and an easy win against North. Not good preparation when you have to travel.

If we lose this we're not serious about the rest of the season.
Yep. We lose this week and we are cooked. We’ll get pummelled by the swans. Our midfield just doesn’t have what it takes.

Yep. We lose this week and we are cooked. We’ll get pummelled by the swans. Our midfield just doesn’t have what it takes.
Not without Cogs and Kelly. Even with them, we aren't as strong in the contest as we should be.
The review of the hawthorn game will be interesting. Alot of weak efforts to point out.
We just threw the game away. Like watching Bernard Tomic play tennis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An inexperienced midfield (Briggs, Green, Callaghan, Peatling & O'halloran) dominated centre clearances and held their own around the ground. Good effort considering the strong opposition and two of our your best mids were missing. Not sure what you are expecting? Should be excited by the future. No midfield is matching the Swans at the moment.

An inexperienced midfield (Briggs, Green, Callaghan, Peatling & O'halloran) dominated centre clearances and held their own around the ground. Good effort considering the strong opposition and two of our your best mids were missing. Not sure what you are expecting? Should be excited by the future. No midfield is matching the Swans at the moment.
Hawks had no ruck for majority of the game. Our midfield has been well beaten most games for the past six weeks.

Kelly and Buckley would be good ins. Cumming might need a week in the twos given he hasn't played a lot of footy this year. When fit he's a top 23 player for sure.
Agree I don't think he will come straight in off that long of a lay off. VFL for Cumming, even though he's a position of need right now.
Cadman was good on the weekend which was a positive, his pressure around the field was impressive.
I think we keep going with Brown.
XO probably have himself a bit of clean air too.
Buckley for Leek
Kelly for Angwin
McMullin for Bedford (hate to see it)

Agree I don't think he will come straight in off that long of a lay off. VFL for Cumming, even though he's a position of need right now.
Cadman was good on the weekend which was a positive, his pressure around the field was impressive.
I think we keep going with Brown.
XO probably have himself a bit of clean air too.
Buckley for Leek
Kelly for Angwin
McMullin for Bedford (hate to see it)
Stunned how far Snooze has fallen after last season.
Kingers must be rubbing his eyes wondering wtf

I think the changes will be very simple this week.

Out: Aleer, McMullin
In: Buckley, Kelly

Only question for me is who is going to be the sub.

Personally I'd make Ward the sub. He's clearly struggling to run out games at the moment, but with reduced time on the field I think he would be able to make more of an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back