Game Day Round 15, 2022 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a look at who we had played this morning and where they currently sit on the ladder after everyone has now had their bye.

Have played 9 games against teams currently in the bottom 10 teams, whilst only 4 games against teams currently in the 8.

What it shows is we have had a pretty cruisy run all things considered and will only get harder from here.

We have a pretty good record of hitting our straps more after the bye the past few years. We need that to start tonight.

That final month (Tigers (A), Blues, Saints (A), Demons) is pretty brutal and the ladder is so tight these 8 point games are going to be huge come the end of the year!

That's a given. I imagine both teams will be going in with the same level of energy and belief (assuming anything different is a recipe for disaster). If both teams are at their best, it'll be the likes of Rayner and Petracca who break the game open. Rayners ability to do so could be the difference tonight.

Should be a cracking game!
Funny you say "that's a given" because energy and confidence levels often vary from game to game no matter what team you play for. This week they are higher than other times which is a plus coming into this game.

Funny you say "that's a given" because energy and confidence levels often vary from game to game no matter what team you play for. This week they are higher than other times which is a plus coming into this game.

Given the venue, the occasion and coming off a bye, anything less would be a warning sign IMO.

my mate got me a medallion club ticket, first time i wont be sitting in general reserve at the mcg. unfortunately think that means ill be amongst the opposition mainly but im hoping we can drown out melbourne like sydney did a few weeks back

super excited for this one. lets go team!

Don’t think I will ever get used to waking up on a Thursday morning to a game day thread.

One thing Terry and Jimmy will bring is a hard competitive edge to their games. They both go in hard and have no fear for their own safety.

I think Jerry might spend periods of time on Oliver.
I think Jerry will spend periods of time on Langdon out on that wing.

my mate got me a medallion club ticket, first time i wont be sitting in general reserve at the mcg. unfortunately think that means ill be amongst the opposition mainly but im hoping we can drown out melbourne like sydney did a few weeks back

super excited for this one. lets go team!

Given the rare opportunity for our Victorian fans, I expect a big lions turn out.

Given the Thursday night, we-see-them-at-the-g-every-other-week (or whatever) and the risk of a loss and need have to swallow their pride of it happens, I expect a low Melbourne turn out.

Expect to hear you lions fans going nuts, chanting and screaming and drowning out the opposition supporters.

GO LIONS SUPPORTERS!!

Thought Mitch might be going midfield, but my best guess is he is going to be a pressure forward with minutes in the middle.

His opportunistic kicking for goal is better than his field kick (opinion only), and he will die trying to stop the ball getting out of the forward line.

Big match for Harris tonight as Captain.

Melbourne's forward line doesn't exactly make me oversweat. Fritsch needs close attention because he's a smart player who gets to the right spots to kick goals. The rest of them are around better than average. Limit their easy supply and they'll struggle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a look at who we had played this morning and where they currently sit on the ladder after everyone has now had their bye.

Have played 9 games against teams currently in the bottom 10 teams, whilst only 4 games against teams currently in the 8.

What it shows is we have had a pretty cruisy run all things considered and will only get harder from here.

We have a pretty good record of hitting our straps more after the bye the past few years. We need that to start tonight.

That final month (Tigers (A), Blues, Saints (A), Demons) is pretty brutal and the ladder is so tight these 8 point games are going to be huge come the end of the year!

Were they all in the bottom 10 when we played them?

Question for those better informed; I haven't been to a game at the 'G in 15 years, but am planning on driving into Melbourne from Gippsland this afternoon and go to tonight's match.

Can you buy tickets at the gate? Or it all pre-order/pre-pay via Ticketek or some other distributor?

What parking options are there? In the interest of saving cash and enjoying being back in Melbourne I am more than happy to find some street parking a km or two away and walk in; or are all the neighbouring suburbs resident permit parking only which means I'll get pinged?

I see on the MCG website it mentions they have car parking but have no idea how full they'll get or how heinous their prices will be.

Any tips for new (old) players?

Also, if anyone on this forum will be there, perhaps I can come say g'day :)

You will be able to buy tickets at the gate. No way the G will be even a third full.

Parking at the G is plentiful and not too exxy, I think $20? It's been a while since I've tried. The greater hassle is it can be slow to get into the car park unless you come early. The streets nearby in East Melbourne and Richmond are all metered or time limited, but a bit further away you'll be fine. Have dinner somewhere in Bridge Road or Swan Street Richmond and then take a 15 minute stroll to the ground.
Even cheaper $10 for parking in Yarra Park

But you do have to be careful as they decide on the day whether to open the parking. All depends on the rain levels and how soft/muddy the ground is - long term they want to ban parking in the park to preserve the ground.
It can be slow getting into the carpark especially queuing in peak hour and things like Punt Road can be a mess. Check which gate you want to come in and whether its open.
You also have to wait 30mins after the game to leave and its slow getting out of there

How about losing their captain, good midfielder & backman for the game?

I didn't say they have to win, but that really if there was any home and away game to be motivated and hungry to play and win, it's this one. I am not confident we will win, but I feel confident we'll give it an absolute red hot crack.

I think the coaching staff will have worked pretty hard on the defensive actions during the break.
So might be a pretty tight low scoring tussle tonight.
Got to keep the pressure up for 4 quarters of footy to come away with a win.

I think the coaching staff will have worked pretty hard on the defensive actions during the break.
So might be a pretty tight low scoring tussle tonight.
Got to keep the pressure up for 4 quarters of footy to come away with a win.

If the midfield breaks even and we have equal quality entries, we'll win. Here's hoping!

If the midfield breaks even and we have equal quality entries, we'll win. Here's hoping!
All bar last year we have always been able to break even in the midfield battle against Melbourne, even with Gawn in the team.
Will be an interesting dynamic for them tonight without him in the team.
Oscar should be able to win his fair share of taps to give our mids their best chance.

Were they all in the bottom 10 when we played them?
Bloody hell now you’re testing me.

Including Port who obviously went outside after we played round 1 we have played 8 teams who were outside the 8 when we played. The only team who are now outside (9th) who were in at the time was the Pies. The other 4 teams who were in the 8 at the time we played were obviously Cats, Swans, Freo and Saints.

As an aside - in the last 9 games we play 5 against teams currently inside yet oddly 4 of those games are our last 4. I guess that makes tonight even more important as if we play to our best tonight and the next month or so hopefully we can get on a bit of a roll heading into that tough last month and then hopefully finals.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the boys live tonight. I can tell you whatever the temp will be when they run out you can minus about 6 of that as its quite windy and therefore a lot more chilly than the temperature suggests.

Not ideal going into such a big game without Zorks - Bailey and Gardiner who despite becoming the whipping boy lately is in my opinion still an important piece of the jigsaw.

I am worried about our lack of pace through the middle. Is Tunstill quick? Wouldn't be against Kiddy Coleman playing wing tonight. I would put J.Berry on Petracca.

The forwards need to have a big night and should benefit from not having Gawn floating down in defence. Win this and the belief in the team will sky rocket.

Go Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back