Round 16 - Changes vs Bullflogs

Remove this Banner Ad

got a feeling Simpkin might have a concussion test to get through

He's truly stepped up as our captain lately but jeez does he struggle to stay on the park. Really hoping he can stay in the team consistently for the rest of the year.

How about the “size” Arch Junior seems to have put on?! Revelation last night. I’ve never seen Fritsch so soundly beaten. He didn’t get one mark! That’s crucial because, usually, he gets the same number of goals as marks…

Yes but I think he got concussed late in the game.

Listing him as an 'out' is not about his form.
I seriously hope not, C. If Jy is out with concussion again, there’s a serious chance we won’t see him again for, at least, the rest of the season. 🤞

Dogs have always worried us, and their KPF (and mids) will be a bigger challenge than the last 3 weeks.

Some of the calls to bring Logue in when he hasn't played a minute yet in the VFL, and will likely be on managed game time today, are just changes of the sake of changes.

We aren't going to be seeing mass changes. Stephens as sub is better than Sleevo as sub. Dawson back from suspension probably the only change if Pink injured.

Out: Pink, Shiels, Tucker

In: Dawson (I doubt Logue gets up), Duurs, Kerch.
Yeah about right. Amd that’s 3 good ins and I’d love to see Duursma playing in a side that is competitive. So much easier to get involved and remain involved.

I think Pink has become expendable due to Teakle showing good signs. And Dawson deserves an extended run at it.

Although I do like Shiels as a sub.

Pink came back into the game and played before being subbed out so I'm not 100% he will miss next week.

We should all hope he doesn't because we need him.

With that in mind...

In: McKercher, Dawson
Out: Simpkin? Pink? McDonald?
l cant see McKercher coming in after such a long lay off so he will be another week away. McDonald name is always one of the first selected every week so l cant see him being dropped eventhough he does need time in the VFL. Simpkin will play so for me its Pink out and Dawson in.

Clarko is looking towards the future so having a team function together will be the priority not winning games. Winning games will be what comes will playing together. With the improvement since the bye l cant see how making multiple changes will help so l can see minor changes to the side over a period of games and not all at once. maybe 1 or to every week unless injury or suspensions dictate otherwise..

This will be probably the hardest test since our bye.

We have been so much better as we have gotten on top in the midfield the last 3 games & won contested ball.

The Dogs definitely have the ability to bully us in the midfield if we don't start well.

Also a lot of kpf that will cause us trouble if the ball goes in there quick.
Need to be switched on from the first bounce.

We have the Dogs fresh off the bye next

In: McKercher, Logue, Dawson
Out: Pink (inj), Stephens, Shiels (managed)
Wouldn’t be taking Shiels out. It’s no coincidence our best footy has been with the most experienced bodies we can put out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will be probably the hardest test since our bye.

We have been so much better as we have gotten on top in the midfield the last 3 games & won contested ball.

The Dogs definitely have the ability to bully us in the midfield if we don't start well.

Also a lot of kpf that will cause us trouble if the ball goes in there quick.
Need to be switched on from the first bounce.
Yep good summary.

Last season against them we got lucky. We had 36 inside 50s they had 72 yet the only won by 21. If we let them dominate the midfield and territory like that again we’ll lose by 10 goals +

Anyone advocating for taking experience and bigger bodies out (by choice) and bringing in both McKercher and Duursma is clueless and has somehow forgotten the first half of the season and why we struggled so much against most opponents.

I’d probably bring McKercher in but we need to be conscious about what role he plays.

Colby is a chance to come in pending today. Injury returns these days include a lot more prep than they used to and he was running games out well before injury. And we desperately need him in the middle.

Logue no chance.

Duursma would be great but how many HF can you play?

Tucker is poo, needs to say bye.

Hardeman is the one I want to see but not sure for who yet.

Dawson will return.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Next week will definitely be a true test to see how far we've come. Yes we're playing at home but so are the Dogs. They've been something of a nemesis to us for the last several years, but now with two extremely close losses against two strong teams, if we can finally crack it next week for a win, then it may be the game that defines the rest of our season. :think::think::think:

Yep good summary.

Last season against them we got lucky. We had 36 inside 50s they had 72 yet the only won by 21. If we let them dominate the midfield and territory like that again we’ll lose by 10 goals +
We will be smashed if we allow that again especially with the form Bont has been in.

sure he had a couple of poor moments, decision making not great, but Stephens ain't getting dropped. He brought run and carry and got us territory when others were tiring. It wasn't like he came on and gave nothing.

If there is one thing we'll need against the Dogs, it's run.

Dunno if anyone remembers but we were on the end of some upset losses back in the 00’s and a decade later as they headed towards Finals and then the GF

Young upstart teams that should not have beaten us the way they did against a more mature North out fit. Incredibly frustrating losses at the time.

It would be a dream for us to reverse this next week but certainly next year

That smacking they gave us on that last Good Friday occasion. Horrors

Why are we better after the bye? These are what I think are the main reasons:

1. Mental reset. The bye was a circuit breaker for all those smashings

2. Rest. Boys look refreshed

3. Confidence. Playing West Coast, one of the weak sides, enabled us to show what we can do and that built belief that had totally dissipated.

4. Form of LDU. He’s a really good player and with a top level midfielder it makes a crazy difference. Our midfield was consistently beaten in the first half of the season in ground ball, clearances etc.

5. Comben. He’s transformed our defence. Corr, Biggie, Dawson, Pink were consistently monstered

6. Phillips. Unveiled himself as a brilliant tagger who can hurt you the other way. Combined with LDU it’s transformed our midfield

7. Larkey. May beat him yesterday but he’s back in form as a goal threat

8. Simpkin. Had a terrible start to the season but looks back to what we know he can do

9. Archer. Has brought a determination and grit mindset into the defence. Start of the season we had too many defenders who’s primary instinct is attacking not defensive

10. Continuing improvement of young players. Xerri, Wardlaw, Powell and Curtis spring to mind as players that continue to look more and more comfortable at the level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 16 - Changes vs Bullflogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back