Review Round 17, 2018 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the best I have felt about our club since the Premiership days. You can actually see the stars developing in front of your eyes and with it the players self belief. The older players like Rich and Lester who have only known hard times suddenly have a skip in there step and both played great games today as a result.

Best tackling effort by a Lions team in God knows how many years. And finally we have learnt to tackle in a manner that can also intercept any attempted disposal. Barrett might not get a lot of the ball but when he tackles someone they don't get away. Also most committed Daniel Rich tackling performance ever.

A few guys played the game of there life today. Josh Walker - best on ground for me. Nick Robertson best game in Lions colours. Lester super and composed down back. And did anyone notice that when Oscar went into the ruck in the second half we started dominating the centre clearances. Very smart pick up was the Big O and cost nothing.

Berry - McCluggage - Witherden - Rayner we know they will be the stars going forward but the 15th best to 22nd best players if they can contribute like they did today we will be a team on the march and not before time.

Fantastic win Lions.

Big O’s tapwork is elite. Even in marking situations a few times instead of trying to take the mark he did a real clever rap to advantage of one of our guys.

Stefan always seemed to struggle when we play another ruckmen except for the big O. For whatever reason they gel very well together.

I’m all for it I think stef can play for a few years more

I think it's a much better combo. Stef's true value is from his additional contributions as a pseudo-mid. When Stef contests the ruck in the middle he follows up and continues trying to win the ball and/or tackle opponents. But if a second ruck is contesting the centre bounce you're not going to start Stef in the square as a rover are you?

If you've got someone like Leuenberger who's pretty much pure tap, you've got to give him a good quantity of centre bounces to get value. Which means you're losing a lot of Stef. Archie at his best competes hard to follow up the bounce too, somewhat Stef-like. But neither of them are really natural forwards so more or less, Stef+Leuenberger or Stef+Archie you can't put both of them in as many centre bounces as they can take and you're not getting a full contribution out of one or both of them.

With Stef+Walker or Stef+McInerney, the backup is useful as a KPP, so you can have Stef ruck at capacity and then have a backup who is contributing to the team structure when Stef's rucking. And in McInerney's case he's a very deft tap. Exciting for the future.

Sorry for the intrusion , don’t normally go onto opposition boards
Just wanted to say how exciting your team and game style is , gave us a lesson in ball transition and run.

Was very worried about today’s game with good reason , you guys are a very bad matchup for us

Plenty of finals action ahead , possible from next season for you guys

Some of the turnovers we are forcing and quick transitions out of our D50 would have Charlie Cameron licking his lips for next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billy puller hopes Dodongo shuts up about Barrett. Billy Puller is advising dodongo that dodongo won’t be the first or the last poster to stick by a much maligned player. Billy Puller also thinks you can’t call a player a player after 3 good games in an albeit well performing team.

Unless we win three in a row, I am in camp Dodongo with this one.

What a great win.

We've turned the corner - who knows where it ends up.
140917_grandfinalheader.jpg

178-141 contested possesion win.

Pleasing considering our wins over Carlton and Freo were more about dominance in uncontested possession.

Nice to see we can win both ways.

We have endured some false dawns before, a win here or there that gave us a bit of hope that things were turning. Over the last eight years there have been those moments where it seemed like we might be about to turn the corner, only to have reality come crashing down upon us in the form of a 100 point loss or a game effectively over before the first quarter was.

Year after year we got smashed or were out of games before most of the patrons had ordered their second beer. We lost players, coaches and many, many casual fans. We seemed to be endlessly rebuilding, so much that we looked to the next draft while the last draft was barely over, to find some hope. Any hope.

But this...now...feels like the real thing. It feels like we are building a team that competes. We will have setbacks I am sure, because that is what happens to even the best teams. But we are competitive and we go into games believing we can compete.

The road ahead has got some bumps in it, and getting to the top of the hill will probably take longer than we want. We still have some bad times ahead, because that is just the way of it. But the bad times will be less frequent and gradually the good times will be more frequent.

We have arrived at the corner and we are about to turn. For all of us who endured those dark, dark days, savour it. This is the best bit.

I know Cerdic Cox didn't have a great game today but good on him for sticking with it and he ended playing a very good last qtr. Well done to Fagan for keeping him out there and allowing him the opportunity to keep battling it out. Was a tough lesson but an important one. You could see Cedric's face in the team song how much the win meant to him.

A lot of our wins in our false dawn years had a real “how did we win that” vibe to them.

Our wins this year we have looked like a football team, and our wins have felt much more legit. We win because we have good players playing well and everyone else playing their roles.

Rayner can settle for the Norm Smith then.

I'm pretty sure more than one player on a team can have a Brownlow. In fact I'm going with "at least three".

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 17, 2018 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Back