Autopsy Round 17, 2023 : Hawks go down to Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Saying the umpiring is poor and blaming the outcome on umpiring aren’t mutually exclusive.

Your first post said the umpiring waa fine.
People disagreed

Now you saying you can’t blame the game on them. Totally different subject.
No i said it wasn't that bad, which it wasn't. I also said in that same post it wasn't the difference which it definitely wasn't.

Umpire bashing in threads and post game threads is so lame. It is rarely ever as bad as people make it out to be.

Very frustrating game to watch for a number of reasons. Will day is a natural footballer & will be a gun. In saying that, I think his field kicking can improve & for such a smart bloke it was such a dumb (& costly) decision in the last. Needs to be better than that.

I can honestly say that I don’t understand the rules of AFL footy anymore.
Or at least, I don’t understand why they are interpreted the way they are.
The throwing. The HTBs that are, vs the ones that aren’t.
And I dont get why the AFL isn’t shown footage of the massive contradictions that occur, IN A SINGLE GAME.

Todays game:
- Days ferocity good, Days ball use bad.
- Worpel ferocity even better. Worpel ball use even worse. At times rancid.
- Newc was awesome, but quiet in the 3rd.
- Nash Amon worked hard. Nash slowly winning me over.
- Moore Wingard Brocky great but patchy.
- I don’t know why Weddle ends up being a lockdown defender. Same with Scrimshaw. Maybe it’s a no Sicily thing.
- Lewis was horrible. He doesn’t have a plan B. Is treacle slow.
- The blanket tried his guts out.
- Impey ordinary, Mitchell does good things, does ordinary things.
- Ward and CMac are classy, although CMac has bursts of garbage.
- Finn is good at stopping footballers. He is not good when he has it.
- Reeves used his height to touch the ball at centre bounces…. That’s it.
- Frost didn’t do frost things. That’s nice.

Out.

I don’t watch the AFL’s team, the Giants much but a couple of them just take the piss:

1. Coniglio: plays a kick behind the ball, picks up easy possessions, barely raises a sweat - did we nearly sign this guy?

2. Whitield: doesn’t even try to look as though he’s trying.

I guess they’ve got their $millions to spend when the AFL team finally retire them.

Coniglio had 30 touches, 8 marks, 4 tackles and kicked 3 goals. What are you on about?

No i said it wasn't that bad, which it wasn't. I also said in that same post it wasn't the difference which it definitely wasn't.

Umpire bashing in threads and post game threads is so lame. It is rarely ever as bad as people make it out to be.
Fair enough.

I’m not seeing many blaming the outcome of the game on the umpiring.

To say it was decently umpired, is in my opinion, setting very, very low bar for the premier sport of the country.

That said, shouldn’t be surprised when they allow, last week, a player to mark on the behind line to the point of needing a goal review and then let him play on from 2 meters inboard for goal. Never getting behind the mark. All whilst “time off” was called. Absolute. flipping. Deadset. Literal. Amateurs.

Last edited:
Skill errors and composure. We really should have won, and will do comfortably in another 30 games.

Can't fault the effort.

Fantastic game Worps and Blanck.

Our key position stocks are in all sorts but. Huge issue.

Happy for DGB, and we should persist forward next few weeks, but it feels so similar to the Kosi switch who would have got slammed for a 4 touch, zero mark game.

Lewis needs to fight harder against quality oppo.
Bingo to the last Comment. 2 games in a row he's been badly beaten and it wasn't just because of the lack of support. Lost far too many 1 on 1s and couldn't halve any contests. Hope he does his homework on what he needs to do to fight through it and make more of a contest against Taylor Weitering and co.

Any game that has multiple umpires making effectively the same decisions out on the field will suffer from a lack of consistency. There really isn’t any way around it

Blanck outstanding today. His best game.

CMac will be a star. Same with Ward.

Jai 9 clearances and 18 contested possessions. Best on ground.

Worpel very very good.

Our midfield absolutely destroyed theirs (Cogs aside)

It's great signs!!
Cogs was best on let's be honest. I would have liked to have seen Sam make the move from Kelly at some point in the 2nd half because he killed us. They have too many guns in there unfortunately because I thought Nash did a good job on Green.

Cogs was best on let's be honest. I would have liked to have seen Sam make the move from Kelly at some point in the 2nd half because he killed us. They have too many guns in there unfortunately because I thought Nash did a good job on Green.
That is what happens when the AFLgives you so many high picks for so long plus an academy no one else can access

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Effort great, skills not so much.
Loved Day, Newcombe, Worpel’s game, thought Blanke, Hardwick and Weddle were solid down back, thought Chad had a crack, and DGB presented well enough and worth persisting up with up there
Our forward entries were putrid

Brockman extremely stiff all day, wasn't allowed to go near the ball because if he looked side ways at it, he was pinged. Yet he was also unable to touch a GWS player because it's three weeks.

That was probably Wingards best game for Hawthorn...... which as serious indictment.
Ffs just because you don't remember better games doesn't mean there weren't any. He had 32 and kicked 2 goals against Brisbane in 2021 and was the third highest rated Mid-Forward that season behind Stringer and Martin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 17, 2023 : Hawks go down to Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back