Preview Round 17 2024 – GWS Giants vs Carlton, Saturday July 6, 7.30pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn it!

So close.

Called Ash as not playing but picked the wrong emergency.

In all seriousness though, it's interesting that XOH wasn't recalled. Something definitely amiss there considering it's such an important game, yet a debutant has been chosen above what could be considered a seasoned player just recently re-signed.

Still holding out hope for this season but only dim hope and a few factors that I think have effected the performances
Other teams working out the game style and shutting down important players
Briggs not having the same impact, young player and 24+ games is a big ask
Injuries to key personal and when they do come back needing a game or 2 to get back to speed
Toby having an off year with some glimpses
Depth players not having the impact like last year, Same players just are they slower, not as strong as the opposition. This has laways been an issue at the club with so much experience walking out the door be it 50 or 100 games it just takes away the depth the club needs. I do think the club last year was better with this and I think Kingsley has identified this importance but just if players like Angwin, Wehr and X can be consistent enough when they are in and out of the side

Hoping to see an improved performance tomorrow night and they fight to the end and dont give up easy goals and they need to up the pressure all over the field

AFL Round 17: GWS draftee Joe Fonti to make his debut against Carlton​

The Giants have been forced into another late change against Carlton – but it’s opened the door for the incredibly athletic bolter from last year’s draft to make his debut.

Lachlan McKirdy July 5, 2024 - 3:58PM

The Giants are set to throw one of their most promising young talents straight into the deep end with dashing defender Joe Fonti named to debut against Carlton on Saturday night.

Unfortunately for GWS, Lachie Ash has been ruled out of the match with a cork in his calf with the club not wanting to risk him after only just coming back from another calf injury. It continues their recent bad injury run with Josh Kelly and Sam Taylor both set to spend the next month on the sidelines.

However, it gives Fonti a chance to make his mark, with the athletic teenager impressing during his first season in Western Sydney.

Selected with pick 44 of last year’s draft, Fonti is a medium defender out of Western Australia. He became renowned for his fleet of foot and finished in the top five at the draft combine for vertical jump, agility and 20m sprint.

He has gone on to play 11 matches in the VFL, coming into his own in the past two months as he looks more comfortable playing senior football. He had an impressive 10 marks in the win over Port Melbourne, before picking up a goal and 23 touches against the Swans.

With the Giants looking to improve their transition work, Fonti is set to be given a licence to run against the Blues. He’s looking forward to putting his strength on display in a game vital for GWS’ finals aspirations.

“That run off halfback is always going to be there,” Fonti said. “I can always use my legs and my speed.

“But working on being defensively reliable has come through playing those games.

“I need to just play to my strengths, play the way I was playing by supporting the run off halfback to get involved offensively. But I also need to do my job on whoever I’m playing on.”

While he admits it’s set to be a nerve-racking experience, Fonti’s work this year has him well placed to slot in seamlessly to the Giants’ defensive system. He has been working close with both Lachies, Ash and Whitfield, to hone his craft and feels he can play a similar role at the base of the orange tsunami game plan.

Thankfully, his parents had already planned to be in Sydney this weekend to watch him in the VFL. And while mum wasn’t overly enthusiastic on the now-customary debutant phone call – “It was probably a little bit underwhelming,” Fonti joked – he’s looking forward to making his AFL dream come true.

“The time I’ve spent here so far has been the time of my life,” he said. “You learn the system, and when that becomes second nature, you start focusing on your own game and build confidence off the back of that.

“I didn’t think it would come this early. I’ve been playing all right footy in the VFL and I’m happy that’s been noticed and rewarded.”

All the odds are against us.
  • Another wet game doesn't suit our handball running game
  • Injuries back to what they always have been, nochance to get any continuity and match fitness under our belt
  • Blues in red hot form, how can we stop Cripps and their mids from dominating again
  • The Umps, let's not talk about this game here last season

We still seem to go to sleep for 30 min blocks where we can't score and leak bags of goals. This needs to stop, we need a better plan to stop the scoring.

Kingers seems very confident of turning it around, I'm less confident than this time last season

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hello, I come in peace.

I’ve flown up to Sydney for the weekend to go to the game with a few other Carlton fans. Looking at Ticketmaster, it should be a fairly good crowd. All GA areas and almost reserved seats on the lower deck look to be sold! Plenty of other travelling Carlton fans i’m sure, so hopefully they all make a good account of themselves and the night is all in good spirit regardless of the outcome.

I see some of your negativity about the game in here, but i’m still extremely wary of you guys - way too many weapons that can cause some real damage. I think it’ll be an arm wrestle.

This will be my first time heading out to Sydney Olympic Park so I just have a couple questions:
- I’ll be taking the train out. It looks like i’ll need to transfer at Lindcombe, is this right? Or are there sometimes game day specials which go straight through - especially after the game?

- Any good spots walking distance from the ground for a pregame bite or drink? It looks like the LockerRoom might be an option, but I don’t want to get in the way of any game day rituals for Giants fans

- I’ve seen GWS promoting a multicultural festival pregame. Has this been done before? Trying to decide if it’s worth getting in early enough to check this out or do you think it’s more aimed for younger children? (If this is the first time it’s happening, you won’t know of course.)

Thank you!

Hello, I come in peace.

I’ve flown up to Sydney for the weekend to go to the game with a few other Carlton fans. Looking at Ticketmaster, it should be a fairly good crowd. All GA areas and almost reserved seats on the lower deck look to be sold! Plenty of other travelling Carlton fans i’m sure, so hopefully they all make a good account of themselves and the night is all in good spirit regardless of the outcome.
Welcome mate! Looking forward to it. Should be a good contingent of Carlton fans.

We don't ordinarily get a large contingent of opposition fans out this way so will be great to have you. Admittedly, will be the third game this year with a large opposition crowd which makes it all the more better. :D

This will be my first time heading out to Sydney Olympic Park so I just have a couple questions:
- I’ll be taking the train out. It looks like i’ll need to transfer at Lindcombe, is this right? Or are there sometimes game day specials which go straight through - especially after the game?
Transfer at Lidcombe as they haven't scheduled any direct services on.

They only seem to put direct trains on for sellouts /Sydney Derby.
- Any good spots walking distance from the ground for a pregame bite or drink? It looks like the LockerRoom might be an option, but I don’t want to get in the way of any game day rituals for Giants fans

Locker Room is fine or there's the The Brewery Bar + Kitchen on the other side of the road to the Locker Room. Take your pick.

We usually have a drink elsewhere before arriving in Olympic Park so not sure what either venues are like pre-game this season but both of the above are fine. I think Brewery Bar is a tad cheaper from memory.

- I’ve seen GWS promoting a multicultural festival pregame. Has this been done before? Trying to decide if it’s worth getting in early enough to check this out or do you think it’s more aimed for younger children? (If this is the first time it’s happening, you won’t know of course.)

Thank you!
This year is the first year of the festival so not sure if it's aimed more for younger children. I'd imagine so, as that's usually the club's target market but would imagine there would be something for everyone.

Hope this helps. Have a great time mate. :)

PS. Will be attending the Carlton v PA game at Marvel later this month when we head down for the Giants game against the Dees.

Made sure to take the Friday off and to catch an earlier flight so we could attend in the evening. First Carlton game, looking forward to it! :D

Last edited:
Damn it!

So close.

Called Ash as not playing but picked the wrong emergency.

In all seriousness though, it's interesting that XOH wasn't recalled. Something definitely amiss there considering it's such an important game, yet a debutant has been chosen above what could be considered a seasoned player just recently re-signed.
I would have thought replacing a an attacking half back with an attacking half back makes sense. Fonti has been dominating the VFL. XO needs an injury or to move up the pecking order to a mid/forward

Thank you!
Your other questions have been answered but here’s some I got on the festival.

Featuring a range of cultural performances, music, food and entertainment across the game day, the Welcome Game will showcase the rich cultural diversity of Western Sydney and brings together new and existing fans to experience Australian Rules football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back