Autopsy Round 17 2024 – GWS Giants vs Carlton, Saturday July 6, 7.30pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Aleer is struggling but I would wait until Sam Taylor returns before we drop him. I think Aleer is a good third or fourth option who can go with smaller forwards.

Aleer appears to be a confidence player. Dropping him won't do much. Wait for Taylor to return and provide guidance.

11,730 crowd - highest ever home crowd vs Carlton and our 3rd highest crowd at Giants Stadium (5th when we include Manuka) this season. Thought we would get close to 15k but I guess the weather didn’t help

Parts of the members seemed a bit thinned out visually. I know a lot of Giants fans wouldn't have been keen to see us get a shellacking but could've been the weather also. It's been a damp week and a lot of our games lately have been wet weather games so perhaps fans weren't keen for it

Looking forward to when these kinds of attendances become our regular crowd number. The stadium is so much more fun.

The crowd number surprised me as the Members' section didn't appear particularly full and the upper deck from the Vincent Fairfax to Martin & Angus Stands were closed. Thought there were more Carlton supporters actually.

For the game, the summaries to date have said pretty much everything.

Cadman and Aleer are the two that concern me the most.

I just don't know what to make of Cadman. I hope he makes it, but I find him too good for VFL but just can't make an impact at AFL level. I recall an errant handball that slowed down a forward link play near the boundary and that inbound kick in the last minute - my goodness. He is being carried and we really can't afford that with his skill errors.

Aleer is going to be a very good defender - he just needs time and perhaps a better match-up, but that won't happen until Taylor is back. I'd still consider recalling Keeffe if the likely match-up will involve someone with far greater strength and/or height. Still, when Aleer played on McKay's shoulder, he did much better, but often had lapses and gave McKay too much space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must admit - driving to the game with the wipers on, and off, and on again, feeling a bit sniffly with the start of a cold coming on, and thinking “do I want to sit in the miserable weather to watch up get thumped?”. In short, I was not entirely enthusiastic about tonight’s game. To add to my misery, usually the seats next to me are vacant, tonight they were filled with Carlton supporters. At quarter time I was thinking, depending on the score, I might suggest we leave at three quarter time.

Then, at quarter time, the Carlton girlies moved and Kingsley said whatever the f**k he said, and the night went from miserable to rather glorious.

It’s was proper Giants football.

Joe Fonti - pick 44 - all hail Adrian Caruso.

Did have to laugh at all the Carlton supporters on twitter going off at the umpiring though - added an extra layer of sweetness to the win. Talk about delusional.

Just need to keep on playing like that 2nd & 3rd quarter - the pressure was manic. Such a good win.

Will there be any consideration for dropping Cadman, moving HH forward and leaving Fonti in the team when slammer comes back

Idun Taylor perryman
Whitfield bucks ash

Fonti rotating off the pine.

HH playing 3rd tall up forward. Would give us a lot more out of our 3rd tall forward than we get atm. HH would frustrate me in the past as a forward cause he would struggle to bring it to ground but surely he gives us more than cads/max atm and we wouldn’t lose the distribution with Fonti’s nice disposal and run

Must admit - driving to the game with the wipers on, and off, and on again, feeling a bit sniffly with the start of a cold coming on, and thinking “do I want to sit in the miserable weather to watch up get thumped?”. In short, I was not entirely enthusiastic about tonight’s game. To add to my misery, usually the seats next to me are vacant, tonight they were filled with Carlton supporters. At quarter time I was thinking, depending on the score, I might suggest we leave at three quarter time.

Then, at quarter time, the Carlton girlies moved and Kingsley said whatever the f**k he said, and the night went from miserable to rather glorious.

It’s was proper Giants football.

Joe Fonti - pick 44 - all hail Adrian Caruso.

Did have to laugh at all the Carlton supporters on twitter going off at the umpiring though - added an extra layer of sweetness to the win. Talk about delusional.

Just need to keep on playing like that 2nd & 3rd quarter - the pressure was manic. Such a good win.
Thanks for toughing it out and turning up. It’s people like you that make it happen for the expansion clubs. You earned your happiness tonight.

Champion Data rates HH as our best player for the year. People need to stop potting him. The coaches love what he is doing.
Absolutely, he had 6 intercept possessions out of 61 intercepts. That's almost 10 %. He is fulfilling his role.

I think some have unrealistic expectations for him. I kinda understand it given his raw talent but he is an important Cog in our defensive platform.

Things change quick in football.
All of a sudden we really look capable of anything.
Capable of anything - even within a single game!

Club is auctioning individually signed indigenous jerseys worn by the team for the Carlton match. However, the jerseys are for our entire list, not just for those who played yesterday. Toby has the highest bid ($375) so far with Jesse second, with half the list yet to elicit an opening bid of $25.

And this would be Joe Fonti's debut jumper. Kid looks like he could be a star. May be worth the investment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back