Autopsy Round 17 2024 – GWS Giants vs Carlton, Saturday July 6, 7.30pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't know what to make of Cadman. I hope he makes it, but I find him too good for VFL but just can't make an impact at AFL level. I recall an errant handball that slowed down a forward link play near the boundary and that inbound kick in the last minute - my goodness. He is being carried and we really can't afford that with his skill errors.
He's used to being top dog in the seconds, but struggles playing second fiddle to Hogan, who is clearly our best forward.

I never cease to be amazed at some of the marks Hogan pulls down. He must have just about the stickiest hands in the AFL.

Got to say, I thought Kingsley would play more of a lock-down game considering the forecast and how teams go on a run of multiple goals.

Fonti's selection was really a masterstroke (and kudos to the posters here who know a heck of a lot more than me about the performance and potential of our VFL players).

Him and Jones were what the team desperately needed and in Jones' case, has quickly turned into probably one of our most important players.

Just keep 'em healthy!

Club is auctioning individually signed indigenous jerseys worn by the team for the Carlton match. However, the jerseys are for our entire list, not just for those who played yesterday. Toby has the highest bid ($375) so far with Jesse second, with half the list yet to elicit an opening bid of $25.

Not just the jumper worn last night. It’s the indigenous jumper they’ve worn in all games this year. So if the jumper was worn in either of the Doug Nicholls round games (Sam Taylor for example) then it’s “match worn” and the certificate that comes with it will show that.

Can’t lay my hands on it at the moment but our Connor Idun 2021 Never Surrender guernsey says something along the lines of “as worn in Rounds x & y vs Sydney, the elimination final vs Sydney & the Semi Final vs Geelong - and our Adam Kennedy indigenous jumper says something similar with the games he played in.

So you can pick a player that didn’t play last night & it still might be match worn.

Parts of the members seemed a bit thinned out visually. I know a lot of Giants fans wouldn't have been keen to see us get a shellacking but could've been the weather also. It's been a damp week and a lot of our games lately have been wet weather games so perhaps fans weren't keen for it

Looking forward to when these kinds of attendances become our regular crowd number. The stadium is so much more fun.
That time slot not ideal for families with younger kids who generally make up a decent chunk of Giants fans.

He's used to being top dog in the seconds, but struggles playing second fiddle to Hogan, who is clearly our best forward.

I never cease to be amazed at some of the marks Hogan pulls down. He must have just about the stickiest hands in the AFL.
Cadman will be better next year. Just needs to get a bit stronger.
I would like to see how he goes as a winger in VFL. Most of his junior career was as a winger.
He is better this year as Kennedy/ Hawkins were in their 2nd years, so that hopefully is a good comparison.

Very different roles. In the 2s they’re looking for him most entries. In the 1s they’re prioritising Hogan, Green and Riccardi. He’s almost a decoy much of the time.

You’re right about Hogan. He has a special talent.

Just finished the replay & some of the post game & have a couple of thoughts.

Joel Selwood needs a lump of 2x4 whacked upside his head. The guy debuted R1 2012 and has played 212 games and you still can’t say his name properly? FMD, just G&GF.

Also Bennett is one of the better commentators out there but we are NOT, NOT, NOT “The GWS”

Thumbs up to Dermie (I know, strange old world) for pointing out how many young & inexperienced players we actually have (9 under 44 games & 5 under 20)

But then the thumb ended up down a bit later when he was analyzing the ruck - nothing but praise for Briggsy but the way he framed it was “he monstered the de Koening kid” and “he’s just a kid” “he’ll be good, but he’s young” he used the word “kid” to describe TDK a number of times.

He’s 3 months older & has played 33 more games than Briggs.

Very different roles. In the 2s they’re looking for him most entries. In the 1s they’re prioritising Hogan, Green and Riccardi. He’s almost a decoy much of the time.
Nailed it.

The problem I see is that instead of being the main target up forward, he has to play more of a link role with hand passes and shorter kicks.

Not unexpected, but a player who is more accustomed to kicking long and high between 2 sticks 6.4m apart finds it challenging to be pinpoint with their disposals.

Right now though, that's more his role.

Might now have a look at the Carlton board.

If anyone says the umps kept us in it, I might be forced to come out of lurk mode.

Come in peace.

You guys were the far better team last night outside the first quarter.Got back to your running in waves,the speed and pressure killed us.

Hogan was huge killed Kemp.

Should make the 8 from here and might do some damage.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our gamestyle is totally dependent on speed that is used to pressure and then burst and run in waves.
When it’s not there our defensive structure is possibly the worst in the comp.
We let in goals more easily than anyone when our pressure is not there.
We have to commit to picking quick guys who will pressure as long as possible.
Darcy Jones was amazing… set a standard. Fonti was super.

Cumming and Ward as wingers. Both fantastic last night. I’m not sold on Ward as a winger on the G… would be exposed.

Hogan is the best KPF in it right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our gamestyle is totally dependent on speed that is used to pressure and then burst and run in waves.
When it’s not there our defensive structure is possibly the worst in the comp.
We let in goals more easily than anyone when our pressure is not there.
We have to commit to picking quick guys who will pressure as long as possible.
Darcy Jones was amazing… set a standard. Fonti was super.

Cumming and Ward as wingers. Both fantastic last night. I’m not sold on Ward as a winger on the G… would be exposed.

Hogan is the best KPF in it right now.

Before last night I would have said the same but he is in the same mould as Sidebottom who has dominated the wings at the G for a long time. Ward has averaged 2 goals and 24 touches on the wing over the last 3 against the top 2 teams. Wings have been a position we have really struggled with and cumming/Ward are finding the footy and kicking goals.

4 goals and 49 disposals from the wing last night is a very good return

Those not at the ground, be thankful that you don't have to endure the screaming banshee on the microphone.
In fairness, the sound system at Giants Stadium is awful, and few of the segments they play are EQ’d for a PA system. Someone on a mixing desk could do a lot to make the “screaming banshee” intelligible.

All the much-touted mid-season upgrade money went on visuals for advertising, none on sound for a better audience experience.

I think people are a bit disappointed in Cadman because he actually started the year quite strongly and looked a much better player than the 2023 version.

Since then his form has dropped off a bit and has struggled to make an impact. Worth persisting with but might need to spend more time up the ground to get more touches and boost his confidence.

Either way I hope Brown can recapture his form because he’s so important to our structure and a nightmare opponent with his skills and athleticism when he’s on song.

Last edited:
I think people are a bit disappointed in Cadman because he actually started the year quite strongly and looked a much better player than the 2023 version.

Since then his form has dropped off a bit and has struggled to make an impact. Worth persisting with but might need to spend more time up the ground to get more touches and boost his confidence.

Either way I hope Brown can recapture his form because he’s so important to our structure and quite a nightmare opponent with his skills and athleticism when he’s on song.
I think Muff is giving Brown a lesson on desperation and pressure. Once Brown rediscovers that element, he'll be a weapon again.

If only West Coast would give Melbourne some competition to keep the margin tight....

Looks like Melbourne will overtake us on percentage and Brisbane should beat Adelaide at home.

So, despite last night's win, we'll most likely finish the round in 9th but with a heck of a lot more optimism than last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back