Review Round 17, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not down playing rankines act but everone on the field has to be aware that at any moment contact can happen......legally and illegally. Starce was completely unaware....you just can't do that on a footy field.
When I used to play footy I was really successful at coward punching people, nobody ever saw it coming. It’s their fault really for not expecting expecting contact and focusing on the game rather than watching me like a hawk. They were completely unaware, you just can’t do that on the footy field.

I'm not down playing rankines act but everone on the field has to be aware that at any moment contact can happen......legally and illegally. Starce was completely unaware....you just can't do that on a footy field.
The play had stopped and the ball was not even in play, Starcevich was looking over his shoulder at the impending stoppage. IMO Rankine knew this and decided to catch him unaware and bump, he concussed him so full responsibility is on him.

You shouldn't have to prepare for yourself for illegal off the ball hits.

The play had stopped and the ball was not even in play, Starcevich was looking over his shoulder at the impending stoppage. IMO Rankine knew this and decided to catch him unaware and bump, he concussed him so full responsibility is on him.
He diverted his line to get in front of Starce, stopped, propped and pushed back at him with a forceful bump that contacted him high. And add to that, it was off the ball 30-40m from the play.
4 weeks is justified.

The four weeks is justified but as he is in my supercoach team and I am running low on trades perhaps we can let him serve his suspension next year?
Or in finals.... Oh wait...

They should change multiple week suspensions to include one of the weeks for the next time that player plays that team.

E.g. Rankine gets 3 weeks off plus the next game he is scheduled to play Brisbane (in season). The punishment then helps the team that was infringed next time.

He diverted his line to get in front of Starce, stopped, propped and pushed back at him with a forceful bump that contacted him high. And add to that, it was off the ball 30-40m from the play.
4 weeks is justified.
Not enough weeks if you ask me in light of the amount of the players being forced into retirement due to concussions and that it wasn’t in the course of play and off the ball irrespective of whether Rankine intended or not to cause concussion to his opponent which he did. Deserved a minimum of 12 weeks.

They should change multiple week suspensions to include one of the weeks for the next time that player plays that team.

E.g. Rankine gets 3 weeks off plus the next game he is scheduled to play Brisbane (in season). The punishment then helps the team that was infringed next time.

I really like this logic. But that's the problem, it's logical so has no place in the AFL.

Not enough weeks if you ask me in light of the amount of the players being forced into retirement due to concussions and that it wasn’t in the course of play and off the ball irrespective of whether Rankine intended or not to cause concussion to his opponent which he did. Deserved a minimum of 12 weeks.

Seems a bit much for me ATM, but if starce is (mother nature forbid) a forced retirement it will be nowhere near enough.

In that case I'll be supporting a new dog act category (off the play deliberate with career ending ramifications) penalty be the dog must retire with the victim. That seems fair to me.

Edit I just can't stand to watch another Justin Clark style retirement press conference. Damn near tore my heart right out of my chest.

Weird inverse victim-blaming logic

Just saw that 23yo Carmichael from the pies is retiring from head knocks. He is the fourth such retirement this year (according to news.com. they do get it right sometimes).

dog acts causing concussion have to be treated differently and extremely harshly.

Just saw that 23yo Carmichael from the pies is retiring from head knocks. He is the fourth such retirement this year (according to news.com. they do get it right sometimes).

dog acts causing concussion have to be treated differently and extremely harshly.

Brayshaw, Murphy, Carmichael and O’Driscoll.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I used to play footy I was really successful at coward punching people, nobody ever saw it coming. It’s their fault really for not expecting expecting contact and focusing on the game rather than watching me like a hawk. They were completely unaware, you just can’t do that on the footy field.
When you walk across the road at the traffic lights do you look for cars or do you just trust that the cars will stop?

You try to lessen the danger, don't you.

Bizarre take.

When you walk across the road at the traffic lights do you look for cars or do you just trust that the cars will stop?

I can't watch for cars because I'm too busy walking backwards in case someone tries to bump me when I'm not looking.

Depends what country I’m in. In Vietnam, you trust that all the traffic will go around you, and just cross the road where ever.

Terrible comparison. The situations are not even remotely similar.

Back