Preview Round 17 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Hanley

Team Captain
Apr 22, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well the AFL has finally realised that the Lions are on the charge to September by giving them the primetime slot of 4.10pm on Sunday 7 July to take on the Adelaide Crows. In honour of this momentous occasion, I have turned to the Bard to take us through a match preview.

The Setting

There is nothing either good or bad,
but thinking makes it so.
- Hamlet, Act 2, Scene 2

Shakespeare had some great insights but this quote really underlines that he wasn’t across Season 2024 of the AFL. Two early season favourites for top four positions in the Lions and the Crows have been unequivocally bad at times through tumultuous seasons. Both have beaten serious contenders, but also lost to also-rans. The Lions have (of late) turned the tables and now sit in the Top 8 for the first time this year. The Crows would hope that they haven’t left it too late after getting the win over the Giants last round in a game that personally I never really considered watching.

The Place

Light thickens, and the crow
Makes wing to the rooky wood.
- Macbeth, Act 3, Scene 2

I suppose in this tenuous link the Rooky Wood represents the mighty Gabba, the future site of the 2032 Olympics. And probably the 2080 Brisbane Olympics too after a minor refurb. Needless to say I did google ‘Shakespeare + [G]Abattoir’ but came up with nothing (or much ado about it anyway).

More seriously, the Lions have been working hard to bring back the fear that other teams used to have of coming up to Brisbane. I sense this is slowly returning via wins against middling teams like the Suns, Tigers, Saints and Demons. Notching up another one against Adelaide will start to strengthen the case that the Gabba should be dreaded again.

Adelaide’s Objectives

'Tis very true my griefs lie all within;
and these external manners of laments
are mere shadows to the unseen grief
which swells with silence in the tortured soul.
- Richard II, Act 4, Scene 1

OK so this worked better before last week’s game. Still, the race to the bottom this year between the Crows and Port to be the 'Pride' of South Australia has caught the nation’s attention this year. This has involved much lament and many tortured souls. Last weekend, Port’s grim last minute win over the gallant Saints was trumped by the Crow’s meritorious win over the less-than-gallant Giants at Adelaide Oval.

Let’s hope the sudden turnaround in fortunes stops here and the Lions can get over the top of them at home. Adelaide will want to keep Brisbane to hurried and shallow forward 50 entries to stop the Lions locking it in and scoring through force of numbers. It’s not clear the Crows have the midfielders for that approach though, or good enough rebounders to get it back into their half of the ground. A tough contested game could see the Crows in with a chance.

Brisbane’s Objectives

How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in it.
- The Tempest, Act 5, Scene 1

The ‘such people’ I’m thinking of is basically Isaac Rankine. It's almost become 'stop Rankine, stop the Crows'. A formidable and at times otherworldly talent that picked up his form strongly against the Giants after a few weeks out with a hamstring injury. He can be a joy to watch but obviously I hope we can keep him to 15 dour meaningless touches.

Aside from stopping Rankine, the keys for the Lions will be supporting each other at stoppages, running as hard in defence as attack, and goal kicking accuracy. Achieving two of these three aims should be enough to win.

Selection Table

The fool doth think he is wise,
but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
- As You Like It, Act 5, Scene 1

The golden boy in Will Ashcroft is back, and starred in the last quarter of the Demon’s game with 7 possessions including some pretty silky moments and an oh-so-close poster. His erstwhile roommate Jaspa Fletcher looked great after coming on at the sub so in my mind should start this game. I don’t think Bailey gets moved to the bench given how high his ceiling is so unfortunately it is probably Bruce Reville who starts with the green vest. That seems unfair given he also had last quarter heroics but I’m out of ideas for an alternative. Callum Ah Chee may be an option but plays an important role in the forward line that isn’t easily taught or replaced. Morris I think starts again given his structural role. Perhaps the coaching team will now rotate the sub amongst the younger players so everyone gets most games but don’t burn out.

On a self-reflective note, I was really happy with myself for originally choosing ‘Oh what a tangled web we weave’ as a quote for the team selection decisions. Turns out it wasn’t even Shakespeare but Walter Scott. I’m including here based on the view that if I’m forced to learn something, you should be too.

Player of the Match

When thou dost ask me blessing,
I’ll Neale down and ask of thee forgiveness [sic].
- King Lear, Act 5, Scene 3

I’m going for Lachie Neale as MVP in this one, mostly because it is hard to force ‘McCluggage’ into a Shakespeare quote.

Predicted Result

A victory is twice itself,
When the achiever brings home full numbers.
- Much Ado About Nothing, Act 1, Scene 1

I think the reference to full numbers here can be extrapolated to mean the Lions win comfortably with Josh Dunkley to get his full numbers of a consecutive quadruple-double. In fact, I’m predicting we exactly double the Crow's score, 120-60, with Country Roads being played 5 times as a cherry on top.

Next steps

The Lions follow this game with a trip to Perth to play West Coast (did someone say the longest trip in footy?), then back at the Gabba/Rooky Wood for the Swans. I genuinely feel that the Lions can knock these next two off, challenge the Swans and go on to make the Top 4. Injuries and form will dictate results from there but what we’ve done so far to stay alive for the attempt shouldn’t be underestimated. Let’s keep this up and Go Lions!

Finally, I really encourage others to have a crack at a preview! This was my first and I don’t always have much spare time but this was pretty fun to put together. I also have much greater respect for the other previewers each week. I suggest you give yourself a theme for a challenge and see what you can make of it. At least I’ve proven with this overreach of a preview that brevity must be the soul of wit, though it remains elusive for me!

And finally, in honour of our fair forum:

I like this place,
And willingly could waste my time in it.
- As You Like It, Act 2, Scene 4

Well the AFL has finally realised that the Lions are on the charge to September by giving them the primetime slot of 4.10pm on Sunday 7 July to take on the Adelaide Crows. In honour of this momentous occasion, I have turned to the Bard to take us through a match preview.

The Setting

- Hamlet, Act 2, Scene 2

Shakespeare had some great insights but this quote really underlines that he wasn’t across Season 2024 of the AFL. Two early season favourites for top four positions in the Lions and the Crows have been unequivocally bad at times through tumultuous seasons. Both have beaten serious contenders, but also lost to also-rans. The Lions have (of late) turned the tables and now sit in the Top 8 for the first time this year. The Crows would hope that they haven’t left it too late after getting the win over the Giants last round in a game that personally I never really considered watching.

The Place

I suppose in this tenuous link the Rooky Wood represents the mighty Gabba, the future site of the 2032 Olympics. And probably the 2080 Brisbane Olympics too after a minor refurb. Needless to say I did google ‘Shakespeare + [G]Abattoir’ but came up with nothing (or much ado about it anyway).

More seriously, the Lions have been working hard to bring back the fear that other teams used to have of coming up to Brisbane. I sense this is slowly returning via wins against middling teams like the Suns, Tigers, Saints and Demons. Notching up another one against Adelaide will start to strengthen the case that the Gabba should be dreaded again.

Adelaide’s Objectives

OK so this worked better before last week’s game. Still, the race to the bottom this year between the Crows and Port to be the 'Pride' of South Australia has caught the nation’s attention this year. This has involved much lament and many tortured souls. Last weekend, Port’s grim last minute win over the gallant Saints was trumped by the Crow’s meritorious win over the less-than-gallant Giants at Adelaide Oval.

Let’s hope the sudden turnaround in fortunes stops here and the Lions can get over the top of them at home. Adelaide will want to keep Brisbane to hurried and shallow forward 50 entries to stop the Lions locking it in and scoring through force of numbers. It’s not clear the Crows have the midfielders for that approach though, or good enough rebounders to get it back into their half of the ground. A tough contested game could see the Crows in with a chance.

Brisbane’s Objectives

The ‘such people’ I’m thinking of is basically Isaac Rankine. It's almost become 'stop Rankine, stop the Crows'. A formidable and at times otherworldly talent that picked up his form strongly against the Giants after a few weeks out with a hamstring injury. He can be a joy to watch but obviously I hope we can keep him to 15 dour meaningless touches.

Aside from stopping Rankine, the keys for the Lions will be supporting each other at stoppages, running as hard in defence as attack, and goal kicking accuracy. Achieving two of these three aims should be enough to win.

Selection Table

The golden boy in Will Ashcroft is back, and starred in the last quarter of the Demon’s game with 7 possessions including some pretty silky moments and an oh-so-close poster. His erstwhile roommate Jaspa Fletcher looked great after coming on at the sub so in my mind should start this game. I don’t think Bailey gets moved to the bench given how high his ceiling is so unfortunately it is probably Bruce Reville who starts with the green vest. That seems unfair given he also had last quarter heroics but I’m out of ideas for an alternative. Callum Ah Chee may be an option but plays an important role in the forward line that isn’t easily taught or replaced. Morris I think starts again given his structural role. Perhaps the coaching team will now rotate the sub amongst the younger players so everyone gets most games but don’t burn out.

On a self-reflective note, I was really happy with myself for originally choosing ‘Oh what a tangled web we weave’ as a quote for the team selection decisions. Turns out it wasn’t even Shakespeare but Walter Scott. I’m including here based on the view that if I’m forced to learn something, you should be too.

Player of the Match

I’m going for Lachie Neale as MVP in this one, mostly because it is hard to force ‘McCluggage’ into a Shakespeare quote.

Predicted Result

I think the reference to full numbers here can be extrapolated to mean the Lions win comfortably with Josh Dunkley to get his full numbers of a consecutive quadruple-double. In fact, I’m predicting we exactly double the Crow's score, 120-60, with Country Roads being played 5 times as a cherry on top.

Next steps

The Lions follow this game with a trip to Perth to play West Coast (did someone say the longest trip in footy?), then back at the Gabba/Rooky Wood for the Swans. I genuinely feel that the Lions can knock these next two off, challenge the Swans and go on to make the Top 4. Injuries and form will dictate results from there but what we’ve done so far to stay alive for the attempt shouldn’t be underestimated. Let’s keep this up and Go Lions!

Finally, I really encourage others to have a crack at a preview! This was my first and I don’t always have much spare time but this was pretty fun to put together. I also have much greater respect for the other previewers each week. I suggest you give yourself a theme for a challenge and see what you can make of it. At least I’ve proven with this overreach of a preview that brevity must be the soul of wit, though it remains elusive for me!

I like this place,
That was a pleasure to read.

Congrats to you Hanley.

The Setting

- Hamlet, Act 2, Scene 2

The Place

Adelaide’s Objectives

Brisbane’s Objectives

Selection Table

Player of the Match

Predicted Result

Next steps

I like this place,
Not a fan of Shakespeare but loving your work.

Well that's all very la-di-da isn't it?

Is this the same Shakespeare that makes fishing rods?
No it's this guy... love this song BTW, gets so many teenage memories flooding back, what an awesome era to grow up in. Can't say I wore outfits like that for my Disco night club outings in the 70s though.

16 hours without a response to a preview thread! Either the more prolific posters are still struggling to understand some of the big words, or everyone's exhausted after last week's.

I’ve stuck my hand up to do a preview……I’m now not so sure I want to after Hanleys amazing preview.
Spot the bureaucrat with a malnourished creative instinct :sweatsmile: It was fun though, thanks for the feedback all.

I do think the sub question is really interesting - feels like any of Fletcher, Reville, Morris or Ah Chee as the obvious candidates would be unfair...!

The real question is what version of the Crows will we get and which version of the Lions ?
Hopefully the current better version of the Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since we became relevant in 2019, we have had a pretty good record against Adelaide.
Five wins one draw and 1 loss.
Gabba: 3 wins
Adelaide Oval: 2 wins one draw and 1 loss by 17 points

Looking back to 2016 it will be interesting to see if someone kicks 4 goals again.
Below from footywire

1719889927901.png

Adelaide do tend to go to a one v one defence all over the ground against us.
Which may take our short kicking version of the Lions away from us and there will be much more kicking to contest more than the uncontested marks.
So it will be a tough game and they will try and win it from slingshot and running hard forward from their defence. So we probably need to be a little less aggressive with our defensive positioning.

Adelaide do tend to go to a one v one defence all over the ground against us.
Which may take our short kicking version of the Lions away from us and there will be much more kicking to contest more than the uncontested marks.
So it will be a tough game and they will try and win it from slingshot and running hard forward from their defence. So we probably need to be a little less aggressive with our defensive positioning.
I've noted Oscar in his press conference today noted that we need to be better defensively then we have been. It's a promising sign that it's been identified even tho we've been winning.

I’ve stuck my hand up to do a preview……I’m now not so sure I want to after Hanleys amazing preview.
Don't worry, irel is next week to bring us all back down.

Don't worry, irel is next week to bring us all back down.

In preparation for next week, I asked Copilot the following and this is what Microsoft's AI spewed up. (Fair dinkum)

Me

can you write me a preview piece for the AFL game West Coast Eagles vs Brisbane Lions which will be played on 14th July 2024

Copilot

Certainly! Let’s dive into the upcoming clash between the West Coast Eagles and the Brisbane Lions. Here’s a brief preview:

Match Details:

Date: July 14, 2024

Time: 14:40 (local time)

Venue: The Gabba, Brisbane

The West Coast Eagles have had a mixed season, showing promise in some matches but stumbling in others. Their record stands at 9-8, and they’ll be keen to improve. However, they’ll face a Lions team that’s hungry for victory.

The Brisbane Lions, currently at the bottom of the ladder, secured a morale-boosting win against Carlton. Star midfielder Dayne Zorko will miss this game due to suspension, which could impact their midfield dynamics.

Keep an eye on the Lions’ forward mix, especially with Jack Gunston back in form. Meanwhile, the Eagles will aim to exploit the Lions’ injury-depleted lineup.

It’s a crucial clash for both teams, and the Gabba promises an exciting battle. 🏉🔥

For more detailed information, you can check out the official AFL website or ESPN’s game summary12. Enjoy the game! 🦁🦅

In preparation for next week, I asked Copilot the following and this is what Microsoft's AI spewed up. (Fair dinkum)

Me

can you write me a preview piece for the AFL game West Coast Eagles vs Brisbane Lions which will be played on 14th July 2024

Copilot

Certainly! Let’s dive into the upcoming clash between the West Coast Eagles and the Brisbane Lions. Here’s a brief preview:

Match Details:

Date: July 14, 2024

Time: 14:40 (local time)

Venue: The Gabba, Brisbane

The West Coast Eagles have had a mixed season, showing promise in some matches but stumbling in others. Their record stands at 9-8, and they’ll be keen to improve. However, they’ll face a Lions team that’s hungry for victory.

The Brisbane Lions, currently at the bottom of the ladder, secured a morale-boosting win against Carlton. Star midfielder Dayne Zorko will miss this game due to suspension, which could impact their midfield dynamics.

Keep an eye on the Lions’ forward mix, especially with Jack Gunston back in form. Meanwhile, the Eagles will aim to exploit the Lions’ injury-depleted lineup.

It’s a crucial clash for both teams, and the Gabba promises an exciting battle. 🏉🔥

For more detailed information, you can check out the official AFL website or ESPN’s game summary12. Enjoy the game! 🦁🦅
Yep, Skynet is here alright.

Not sure what year that makes it but...

...I don't think that happens in any of the possible years.

Probably should have put a trigger warning in front of that too!

Great preview Hanley . Reminds me years ago of when I did a preview (funnily enough for a Crows match) in the style of Edgar Allen Poe. Tumbleweeds. Sometimes people don't know genius even if it slaps them in the face. The price of being an auteur I guess.

Great preview Hanley . Reminds me years ago of when I did a preview (funnily enough for a Crows match) in the style of Edgar Allen Poe. Tumbleweeds. Sometimes people don't know genius even if it slaps them in the face. The price of being an auteur I guess.
Quoth the Belgian, "Nevermore".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back