Preview Round 17 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quoth the Belgian, "Nevermore".
qEBFIR.gif

Great preview Hanley . Reminds me years ago of when I did a preview (funnily enough for a Crows match) in the style of Edgar Allen Poe. Tumbleweeds. Sometimes people don't know genius even if it slaps them in the face. The price of being an auteur I guess.
OK, Haiku style preview coming up.

Qscan Injury Update

The Brisbane Lions confirm Kalin Lane will miss the rest of the 2024 season after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in Saturday’s VFL win over Coburg.

Lane left the field at the start of the third quarter after injuring his knee, with scans on Monday afternoon confirming he had ruptured his ACL.

Brisbane Lions General Manager of Football, Danny Daly said it was heartbreaking news for Lane and the Club.

“Everyone at the Club is devastated for Kalin and we will make sure we all support him in anyway we can as he begins his recovery,” Daly said.

“Kalin and our VFL team are having a strong season and it’s disappointing to see him miss the remainder of the year.”

The Club is however hopeful defender Jack Payne will be available to take on Adelaide at The Gabba on Sunday.

Payne, who missed last Friday’s win over Melbourne with foot soreness, trained on Tuesday as he prepares to return.

The key defender will train again on Thursday where he will look to tick the final boxes to put his hand up for selection.

BRISBANE

PLAYERINJURYTIMELINE
Jack PayneFoot SorenessTest
Noah AnswerthShoulder2-4 Weeks
Kalin LaneKneeSeason
Darcy GardinerKneeSeason
Lincoln McCarthyKneeSeason
Tom DoedeeKneeSeason
Keidean ColemanKneeSeason

ADELAIDE
PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Matt CrouchShoulderSeason
Karl GallagherHamstring2-3 weeks
Wayne MileraKneeSeason
Patrick ParnellShoulderSeason
Josh WorrellArm3-5 weeks
Updated: July 2, 2024

Early prognosis​

Worrell has progressed in his recovery to all non-contact drills and took part in ball drills on Tuesday as he targets a return inside the next month. The defender has struggled in the gym but been able to work significantly on his fitness while sidelined. Gallagher suffered a standard hamstring injury in the SANFL, with the Irishman cut down early in his 11th game. Wingman Chayce Jones is expected to be available this week after he was withdrawn against GWS with a back complaint. – Nathan Schmook

Qscan Injury Update

The Brisbane Lions confirm Kalin Lane will miss the rest of the 2024 season after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in Saturday’s VFL win over Coburg.

Lane left the field at the start of the third quarter after injuring his knee, with scans on Monday afternoon confirming he had ruptured his ACL.

Brisbane Lions General Manager of Football, Danny Daly said it was heartbreaking news for Lane and the Club.

“Everyone at the Club is devastated for Kalin and we will make sure we all support him in anyway we can as he begins his recovery,” Daly said.

“Kalin and our VFL team are having a strong season and it’s disappointing to see him miss the remainder of the year.”

The Club is however hopeful defender Jack Payne will be available to take on Adelaide at The Gabba on Sunday.

Payne, who missed last Friday’s win over Melbourne with foot soreness, trained on Tuesday as he prepares to return.

The key defender will train again on Thursday where he will look to tick the final boxes to put his hand up for selection.

BRISBANE

PLAYERINJURYTIMELINE
Jack PayneFoot SorenessTest
Noah AnswerthShoulder2-4 Weeks
Kalin LaneKneeSeason
Darcy GardinerKneeSeason
Lincoln McCarthyKneeSeason
Tom DoedeeKneeSeason
Keidean ColemanKneeSeason

ADELAIDE
PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Matt CrouchShoulderSeason
Karl GallagherHamstring2-3 weeks
Wayne MileraKneeSeason
Patrick ParnellShoulderSeason
Josh WorrellArm3-5 weeks
Updated: July 2, 2024

Early prognosis​

Worrell has progressed in his recovery to all non-contact drills and took part in ball drills on Tuesday as he targets a return inside the next month. The defender has struggled in the gym but been able to work significantly on his fitness while sidelined. Gallagher suffered a standard hamstring injury in the SANFL, with the Irishman cut down early in his 11th game. Wingman Chayce Jones is expected to be available this week after he was withdrawn against GWS with a back complaint. – Nathan Schmook
"Hopeful", you say.

He's no chance.

In preparation for next week, I asked Copilot the following and this is what Microsoft's AI spewed up. (Fair dinkum)

Me

can you write me a preview piece for the AFL game West Coast Eagles vs Brisbane Lions which will be played on 14th July 2024

Copilot

Certainly! Let’s dive into the upcoming clash between the West Coast Eagles and the Brisbane Lions. Here’s a brief preview:

Match Details:

Date: July 14, 2024

Time: 14:40 (local time)

Venue: The Gabba, Brisbane

The West Coast Eagles have had a mixed season, showing promise in some matches but stumbling in others. Their record stands at 9-8, and they’ll be keen to improve. However, they’ll face a Lions team that’s hungry for victory.

The Brisbane Lions, currently at the bottom of the ladder, secured a morale-boosting win against Carlton. Star midfielder Dayne Zorko will miss this game due to suspension, which could impact their midfield dynamics.

Keep an eye on the Lions’ forward mix, especially with Jack Gunston back in form. Meanwhile, the Eagles will aim to exploit the Lions’ injury-depleted lineup.

It’s a crucial clash for both teams, and the Gabba promises an exciting battle. 🏉🔥

For more detailed information, you can check out the official AFL website or ESPN’s game summary12. Enjoy the game! 🦁🦅

Funny I thought I'll see how bad Gemini would do.

Looks like we have a forward line of Curnow and McStay for this game.

can you write me a preview piece for the AFL game West Coast Eagles vs Brisbane Lions which will be played on 14th July 2024​

gemini_sparkle_v002_d4735304ff6292a690345.svg

Wounded Eagles Face Roaring Lions at the Gabba​

The wounds are still fresh for the West Coast Eagles after their heavy defeat to the Brisbane Lions in Round 17. Now, they head back to the Gabba for a rematch on July 14th in a must-win clash for their finals hopes.
Eagles Desperate for Redemption
The Eagles were comprehensively outplayed in the last encounter, with the Lions running riot to the tune of an 81-point victory. West Coast has only managed one win from their last eight games and currently sits precariously outside the top eight. A loss here could all but extinguish their finals aspirations.
The young Eagles showed some fight in their narrow defeat to Port Adelaide last week, but consistency has been a major issue. Coach Adam Simpson will be demanding a significant improvement, particularly from his senior players, if they are to avoid another demoralising loss.
Lions Looking to Maintain Momentum
The Lions, on the other hand, are flying high. They sit comfortably in second place on the ladder and are in ominous form, having won six consecutive matches. Brisbane's forward line has been firing on all cylinders, with the likes of Charlie Cameron and Jack Gunston in red-hot form.
Chris Fagan's men will be brimming with confidence after their dominant display against the Eagles last time out. They'll be looking to replicate that performance and consolidate their position in the top two.
Key Matchups:
  • Liam Ryan vs Harris Andrews: This battle between the Eagles' dynamic forward and the Lions' lockdown defender will be crucial. Can Ryan break free of Andrews' shackles and provide a spark for the Eagles' attack?
  • Hugh McCluggage vs Dom Sheed: McCluggage has been a dominant force for the Lions this season, while Sheed has struggled for form. Can Sheed rise to the occasion and provide some much-needed midfield support for the Eagles?
Can the Eagles Bounce Back?
The Eagles face a monumental task against a red-hot Lions outfit. Their chances will hinge on a significant improvement from their previous encounter and a return to form from their key players.
The Gabba has become a fortress for Brisbane this season, and the Eagles will need to be at their absolute best to overcome the odds and claim a vital victory. This promises to be a thrilling encounter, with plenty at stake for both sides.

------------

I think you are using data from last year not this year​

gemini_sparkle_v002_d4735304ff6292a690345.svg

You're absolutely right, my apologies for the mistake. Here's a revised preview using information relevant to the 2024 season:

West Coast Eagles Seek Revenge Against Soaring Lions​

The stage is set for a high-stakes clash at the Gabba on July 14th as the West Coast Eagles face off against the red-hot Brisbane Lions. This Round 18 encounter holds immense significance for both sides, with the Eagles desperate to avenge their Round 12 defeat and the Lions aiming to continue their dominant run.
Eagles Eye Upset in Must-Win Clash
The Eagles suffered a humiliating 68-point loss to the Lions earlier this season. Currently clinging to the edge of the top eight, another defeat could prove fatal to their finals hopes. However, the Eagles showed glimpses of promise in their recent win against Essendon. Their young players displayed commendable tenacity, and capitalizing on this momentum will be crucial for their upcoming challenge. Coach Adam Simpson will be looking for a complete performance from his squad, with a focus on minimizing turnovers and capitalizing on scoring opportunities.
Lions Aim for Seventh Straight Victory
The Lions, on the other hand, are in a stellar position. Sitting comfortably in third place, they boast an impressive six-game winning streak. Their forward line, spearheaded by the electrifying duo of Charlie Curnow and Daniel McStay, has been a major force, consistently putting points on the board. Chris Fagan's men will be brimming with confidence and determined to extend their winning streak at their fortress-like Gabba.
Key Matchups to Watch:
  • Oscar Allen vs Harris Andrews: This clash between the Eagles' reliable target man and the Lions' resolute defender will be a battle of strength and strategy. Can Allen outmuscle Andrews and provide a focal point for the Eagles' attack?
  • Elliot Yeo vs Lachie Neale: The midfield battle will be critical. Yeo's ability to disrupt Neale's dominance will be instrumental in hindering the Lions' attacking flow.
Will History Repeat Itself?
The Eagles face a daunting task against a formidable Lions outfit. However, fuelled by a desire for redemption and a renewed sense of purpose, they will be determined to cause an upset. This clash promises to be a fierce battle, with both sides leaving it all on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it's 8th vs 14th, with Adelaide seemingly out of finals contention, but there are a few red flags emerging in our game in recent weeks, and they just so happen to be areas the Crows also do well.

It looks as though we will need to do well in the clearances - particularly scoring from them. We are #1 in scoring from stoppages in recent weeks. We will need to make it a territory game, probably dominating the inside 50 count, allowing us to make the most of our ability to also score from our front half. Adelaide are susceptible to being scored against from both stoppages, and when the ball is locked in their back half.

If we can't do that, our transition defence is where Adelaide are likely to hurt us. We saw Melbourne were able to move the ball from end to end pretty easily against us at times, but Adelaide are one of the best in the comp at this and they have opened us up in this area pretty easily on our last 3 meetings. And they chain up well by hand - top 2 in the comp for handball efficiency, while our tackle numbers (and in particular, opposition disposals per tackle) are well off the pace. Not surprisingly then, Adelaide are top 6 for scoring from their back half, while we are bottom 6 for conceding scores from our front half.

And once they do get the ball forward, they're likely to score well. They're ranked highly in marks inside 50 and being able to generate scores when they do go inside 50. We have struggled to contain both these, and we've found it difficult to rebound out of defensive 50, while Adelaide tend to be good at preventing these rebounds.

We may see an interesting side plot if Adelaide kick a lot of behinds. We have been strong at scoring from kick-ins (3 goals against Melbourne, who hadn't conceded a score from kick-in for 5 weeks), while the Crows are not great in this aspect.

So it looks like we will need to control stoppages, convert this into territory dominance, and be able to score well from our front half. If we can't, Adelaide's looks inside 50 are likely to be higher quality than ours, and we'll have to hope they have an off day on the accuracy front. So I'll be boo-ing set shots like nobody's business!

Hopefully this is all garbage, and we're able to nail down our defensive game without it compromising our attack.

I know it's 8th vs 14th, with Adelaide seemingly out of finals contention, but there are a few red flags emerging in our game in recent weeks, and they just so happen to be areas the Crows also do well.

It looks as though we will need to do well in the clearances - particularly scoring from them. We are #1 in scoring from stoppages in recent weeks. We will need to make it a territory game, probably dominating the inside 50 count, allowing us to make the most of our ability to also score from our front half. Adelaide are susceptible to being scored against from both stoppages, and when the ball is locked in their back half.

If we can't do that, our transition defence is where Adelaide are likely to hurt us. We saw Melbourne were able to move the ball from end to end pretty easily against us at times, but Adelaide are one of the best in the comp at this and they have opened us up in this area pretty easily on our last 3 meetings. And they chain up well by hand - top 2 in the comp for handball efficiency, while our tackle numbers (and in particular, opposition disposals per tackle) are well off the pace. Not surprisingly then, Adelaide are top 6 for scoring from their back half, while we are bottom 6 for conceding scores from our front half.

And once they do get the ball forward, they're likely to score well. They're ranked highly in marks inside 50 and being able to generate scores when they do go inside 50. We have struggled to contain both these, and we've found it difficult to rebound out of defensive 50, while Adelaide tend to be good at preventing these rebounds.

We may see an interesting side plot if Adelaide kick a lot of behinds. We have been strong at scoring from kick-ins (3 goals against Melbourne, who hadn't conceded a score from kick-in for 5 weeks), while the Crows are not great in this aspect.

So it looks like we will need to control stoppages, convert this into territory dominance, and be able to score well from our front half. If we can't, Adelaide's looks inside 50 are likely to be higher quality than ours, and we'll have to hope they have an off day on the accuracy front. So I'll be boo-ing set shots like nobody's business!

Hopefully this is all garbage, and we're able to nail down our defensive game without it compromising our attack.

I read the whole post and all I got from it was "just score more than they do and we'll win". Love it ;)

I think this could be quite close.

Crows coming off their second best win of the year.

Naming their best side of the year with thilthorpe back, giving them a three pronged attack and possibly stretching us.

We are not going that well at the gabba.

They only lost to us by a goal at the gabba last year.

So i think we’ll need to play well to win, and any win is a win for mine.

I’m hoping we can get on top in the midfield as they have a lack of real top class there. Berry to Dawson. Not sure what to do when rankine goes in there but will need time in to him, maybe berry just softens him up as much as possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back