Review Round 17 = Collingwood 80-92 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, we need our footy players to be their best selves.

We’ve moved on from the BS that if us fans are hurting after a loss, we expect the coach to stick pins into the voodoo dolls of every player.

Was rightfully worried when Scott spoked it up about the umpiring after they lost last week. Perhaps the only thing surer than a Scott whinging is the side of a coach complaining about the umps getting the rub the following week.

Umps are also behind on the scragging tactics of taggers. Nick was hold or shoved every contest and barely got a free.

That said our energy wasn’t there tonight, just 40 tackles says a lot. Missed the pace of Noble and McCreery, plus McCreery’s pressure. Pendlebury, DeGoey and Mihocek all looked they hadn’t played in weeks at various times. We also need to find a way to counter sides playing keeping’s off to slow our momentum and pressure.

On a positive note we may get to see the druggies lose another final. Despite how bad we played we still only lost by a couple of goals. Swans for example would have won by at least 7-8 goals.

40 tackles is weak as piss.

Yeah. I’m pretty displeased but I make peace with it because we really did good last year to win the flag. Really good.

I don’t accept how they’ve shown up this year because it looks very weak piss.

But. We won the flag…..having said that this effort is NOT acceptable to a team that just won the flag and a premiership coach.

Yet they behave as though it is. The coach is beginning to concern me with how he’s not demonstrating a bit of fire in his attitude that this is not acceptable.
I feel you mate! What I can say is this. In 2011 when defending our 2010 flag we were amazing all year finishing on top, but it didn't translate in to a flag. So, this year we may have to try to do it rough, so be it. Let's just sneak into 5th to 8th somewhere and throw a few haymakers and see where that lands us. We might end up doing a Western Bulldogs 2016.

Need Wrighty back as the team looks like needing a renovation sooner rather than later.

Midfield is shallow, only really two runners in Daicos and Crisp. After that it’s looking extremely poor.

Backline looks very poor also, most players down and a few aren’t up to it.

The forward line hard to judge as every week 2-3 of the em get injured.

Wouldn’t back us to beat many teams in the comp on current form. The North game was the warning sign and it’s gotten worse. Just beaten for numbers to the ball and also for pressure too, and then our defending we guard space and make it too easy for the opposition.

Make the hard calls now rather than kid ourselves like Geelong did this year.
I think it starts with a deeper, hungrier midfield.
(More consistent pressure, hunt & 2-way running badly needed).

I feel you mate! What I can say is this. In 2011 when defending our 2010 flag we were amazing all year finishing on top, but it didn't translate in to a flag. So, this year we may have to try to do it rough, so be it. Let's just sneak into 5th to 8th somewhere and throw a few haymakers and see where that lands us. We might end up doing a Western Bulldogs 2016.
The way we are playing, we ain’t sneaking anywhere near the 8.

Yeah. I’m pretty displeased but I make peace with it because we really did good last year to win the flag. Really good.

I don’t accept how they’ve shown up this year because it looks very weak piss.

But. We won the flag…..having said that this effort is NOT acceptable to a team that just won the flag and a premiership coach.

Yet they behave as though it is. The coach is beginning to concern me with how he’s not demonstrating a bit of fire in his attitude that this is not acceptable.
He's got alot of deserved credits in the bank, but you do get to a point where you want him to display a more savage side. Particularly when you have players not living up to reputations or improving.

He has been outcouched convincingly the past 2 games in particular, where it feels we have been hunted and outplanned. We appear to have just rocked up and relied on slingshot scoring or sweated on a skill error.

We haven't gone back to back since the 30's. Whether thats a coincidence or not is one for debate.

Last edited:
That loss shits me as I hate losing to that mob.
But as well coached, and the systems we play, the consistency of an uninterrupted team with out injury is a part of it.
But yeah...
They torched us after quarter time.

Drop the captain, it’s starts at the top and Darcy has been terrible all season.
Make a statement!
Was it Murphy that made Moore look good cause he has been terrible all year without Murphy.

Agree, or either play him forward and let him try and turn it around there, maybe start attacking the contest and being proactive, can’t afford him in the backline the way he has been

I worry about the long term future of this side.We rely on the older players like Pendlebury and Howe so much.And Nick is our only elite young player.You can’t build a side around just one player,see West Coast and their reliance on Harley Reid.
We be heading back down bottom of the Ladder over the next few seasons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Destroyed in the air tonight. Embarrassingly so. Every time we needed to half a contest we let one of their plodders take a contested grab and make it look easy. Every time we needed to win a key contest or control the ball we missed a tackle or turned it over, leaving them free to slingshot goal side.

Opposition midfields have learned how to play us and we fail to adapt to it every week by allowing them cheap possession after cheap possession. Nick gets tagged, but we let their best players get 30-40 each week and totally murder us. Our only plan B in the midfield is to move Nick forward in the 4th quarter. Our forward line is completely dysfunctional and has been all year (albeit mostly through injury) and our backline is constantly under pressure and horribly out of form.

It's still an even season and we're still a quality side who can beat anyone on our day which gives us a sniff, but jeez it's tough to watch us at the moment

That was like basketball. Forwards rolled back too defensively and let Essendon just chip their way forward without any pressure at all. Just didn't force them to kick it to a contest all night.
Thank **** someone else saw it.

Whether structural or just effort our forwards were not near it defensively at any point. Essendon’s numbers at the contest and overlap was infuriating.

No one besides Kreuger showed any capability to take a contested mark either.

We are a Zac Fisher missed shot from being on another 3 game losing streak after starting the season that way.

Too many injuries and too many players having a down year.

Have we forgotten how to tackle btw?
For weeks I’ve been getting really annoyed at our lack of tackling and lack of successful tackling.

Players just slip through the feeble attempts we actually do make.

It’s so disheartening for them to back up that gold coast loss with this. There was no evidence any of the issues were actually addressed.

Fly seemed annoyed last week in his presser. Then they went to wet n wild. They need to be working on basic skills they’ve lost.

What did we have 40sh tackles tonight
For reference we had 80sh when we beat Lions and turned it around earlier in the year

If we aren’t tackling (which is our MO) and also aren’t getting the pill either (getting slaughtered in possessions each week) we have not a lot going for us

Was good to see the players and coaches taking our flailing season seriously by letting the players spend extra time on the Gold Coast after a loss on a 6 day break as opposed to doing the more logical thing and going up to the Gold Coast earlier during the bye week to get their sun and fun

What kind of clown show are we running over there?
I didn’t like it before the loss tonight and I really don’t like it now.

Worst game for the year. We looked poor with our skills, unfit or not willing to work hard enough to stop the short kicks. We are still a chance to turn it around but it's going to be hard from here.

Can’t wait for the people who said last week we only lost by 11 so don’t panic.

We only lost by 12 so don't panic

If we lose by 13 next week then that's a trend so then I'd panic

I hate them but I must rate them higher than most on here because I just don't believe Essendon look average on paper, are crap or we made them look good tonight.

The reality is even if you think I'm wrong you had to at least acknowledge they drew with us on Anzac day and have gone incredibly close to beating us in all of one game over the last 3 years. Alarm bells were already ringing and coupled with our recent form, further injury, this result isn't at all surprising.

The match up well on us and when pondering why I think it's because they have a real strong group of flanker types, who cover the ground well but ones who are not totally irrelevant in an aerial contest either.

This is something that could be said of us also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back