Review Round 17 = Collingwood 80-92 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with the injuries comments. But tonight we let an average team who has beating nobody the last 7 weeks towel us up.
We struggle against any team that has key fowards. They reall stretch our defence, all their key fowards got on the board, 6 goals between them.
We are an easy team to score against, 92 points tonight (L) t, 100 GC (L) , 118 North (W), 51 Melb (W) , 100 WB (L), 75 Freo, (D) and kicked 33% of their score in the last 7 mins and two weeks prior scored 37 point for the game at home against the Swans, Adel 74 (W).
When we do get a lead, it's easily eroded in half a quarter. Adelaide up by 29 point at the G, had to kick the last goal with 2 mins to win it. North, dare I say anymore, Bulldogs 2 goals up didn't score in the last, Freo 25 points up 7 mins to go.

I hate them but I must rate them higher than most on here because I just don't believe Essendon look average on paper, are crap or we made them look good tonight.

The reality is even if you think I'm wrong you had to at least acknowledge they drew with us on Anzac day and have gone incredibly close to beating us in all of one game over the last 3 years. Alarm bells were already ringing and coupled with our recent form, further injury, this result isn't at all surprising.

The match up well on us and when pondering why I think it's because they have a real strong group of flanker types, who cover the ground well but ones who are not totally irrelevant in an aerial contest either.

This is something that could be said of us also.

Our team was weaker than on Anzac day so I was surprised that we were heavy favourites.

Essendon have played well against us apart from the end of last season. We have got our of jail a few times.

All we had to do was put more time into Merrett. Teams are trying to lock down on Nick, yet we do nothing the other way. It's infuriating. Merrett was the one that kept them in the game.

Imo we don't have the mix right in the guts, letting Tay Adams go was a mistake.

Tonight Pendles looked slow and cooked for half the game. Looked more like his rounds 1 to 5 weeks form. Is he injured?

Degoey, N.Daicos and Pendles is not gelling well as a starting trio imo.

Run and carry off HB of 2023 is gone.

No KPF finally caught up to us.

N.Long did reasonably well for his short time out there.

Probably one of Nick Daicos worst games I've seen him play.

Also appearing no Nick No pies.
We really missed JFN
No run of the flanks

What stood out to me all game, was that we never had an open player, Essendon was always right on our players making moving the ball difficult. Then we would give them all this space when they had it, often leaving several of their players wide open.

We did look good in contest, but often they would get it out and then have free players everywhere.

I really don’t know what’s going on with Moore, he is a shadow of his recent years. Murphy was so important, we need to recruit someone like him to back up Moore.

They out worked us.

Played us tight in the stoppages then burst away hard when they won it.

They then opened the field up where as we kept it skinny.

Nothing is ever as good as we think and nothing is ever as bad. We won't win a flag this year but I don't think we will become a cellar dwelling rabble as some are suggesting. Long term injuries to key players always have a domino effect with the constant stress and loads placed on a handful of players to keep our heads above water. It wears them down. We played most of the critical last term with no ruckman and going forward the burden just grows heavier.

Frampton might go into the centre bounces but that only adds more pressure onto Moore's already overloaded shoulders. If Krueger is used as a pinch hitting ruckman we lose his presence up forward and now that Checkers is gone we will be severely undersized in our forward line.

With Cox, Mitchell, Elliott, Mcstay and McCreery still weeks away we are in huge trouble. We might actually field a decent team in the last two rounds when the season is done and dusted.

With all these injuries, I’m comfortably coming to terms that this isn’t our season and just being thankful we won last year considering the situation we are in now.

Cameron is a huge loss, with Cox still out we’re gonna have to rotate both Frampton and Freddie. Yes Performances recently have been bad, but these injuries are just gonna make it more difficult.

Best case scenario is that we get a place in the bottom half of the 8 and see where we go from there.

It’s funny seeing all these complaints about Moore

Moore is actually playing the same as he always has. Murphy just isn’t there to cover for him

All this poor positioning, bad one on one, running up too high, jogging back slowly etc etc is stuff he’s always done

But Murphy was always there to cover for him and often allowed him to play with that freedom which means his intercept attempts were more effective

Losing Murphy has absolutely destroyed us defensively. Gonna be looked back on in the years to come as arguably one of the biggest injury losses of the last decade or more given what it’s costing us

Having sat back and reflected on that game, it is to our boys immense credit that we were still a serious chance had Nick kicked that goal with 2 minutes remaining. Missing Noble, McCreery, Cox, Mitchell, Elliott, McStay and then losing Cameron for most of the last term is a sizable chunk of our best still missing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s funny seeing all these complaints about Moore

Moore is actually playing the same as he always has. Murphy just isn’t there to cover for him

All this poor positioning, bad one on one, running up too high, jogging back slowly etc etc is stuff he’s always done

But Murphy was always there to cover for him and often allowed him to play with that freedom which means his intercept attempts were more effective

Losing Murphy has absolutely destroyed us defensively. Gonna be looked back on in the years to come as arguably one of the biggest injury losses of the last decade or more given what it’s costing us
We lost two huge lynchpins at either end of the ground in one miserable preseason. Losing Murphy and McStay has been a devastating obstacle to overcome, and we didn't count on the countless other injuries we have endured. When fate says your number is up there is nothing you can do but gnash your teeth.

It's taking a toll on Nick carrying the midfield every week. I said this would happen weeks ago. We need to surround him with mids urgently otherwise he'll be like Bucks and carry the side for years and years.
Couldn’t break an ultra defensive tag tonight to get any space. Some the tactics they got away with to stop him though were next level. Constantly held and shoved, at one ball in with Daicos facing the ruck contest the Essendon player turned his back on play and wrapped Daicos up in a bear hug as the footy was being thrown in. Of course it was ignored.

Would have liked us to use Daicos as a tag on Merrett to try and gain a spare mid.

Nothing is ever as good as we think and nothing is ever as bad. We won't win a flag this year but I don't think we will become a cellar dwelling rabble as some are suggesting. Long term injuries to key players always have a domino effect with the constant stress and loads placed on a handful of players to keep our heads above water. It wears them down. We played most of the critical last term with no ruckman and going forward the burden just grows heavier.

Frampton might go into the centre bounces but that only adds more pressure onto Moore's already overloaded shoulders. If Krueger is used as a pinch hitting ruckman we lose his presence up forward and now that Checkers is gone we will be severely undersized in our forward line.

With Cox, Mitchell, Elliott, Mcstay and McCreery still weeks away we are in huge trouble. We might actually field a decent team in the last two rounds when the season is done and dusted.
So true. We will be forced to play a semi-VFL team for the next 3 to 4 weeks.
If Josh Eyre plays well tomorrow, maybe he will play seniors next week.
I am starting to think that the tide of injuries is not just random.
When you lose a critical mass of top 22 players, the load placed on those remaining makes them more vulnerable to injury, whether due to failure to avoid contact or whatever else (due to crushing fatigue).
Think we have entered an injury vortex.

No im
Not happy
Just hoping the club will start to realise the backline is a shambles and things need to change
C’mon, be honest. You’re pretty happy to be able to post your I told you so stuff.
You must have been happy to see the Bombers hold on to the win.

Enjoy the celebrations

He’s worse in the ruck. He can’t take a contested mark nor can he halve a contest. He also allows the best defender to go to Mihocek.

It’s not close. Don’t get sucked in by his late goals.
Checkers was spanked by Laverde. Jayden ****ing Laverde. Meanwhile the actual Essendon KPDs in McKay and Ridley alternated between Kreuger and Howe.

Checkers got the third string defender tonight and couldn't compete, Kreuger got top banana more often than not and made a fist of it.

So true. We will be forced to play a semi-VFL team for the next 3 to 4 weeks.
If Josh Eyre plays well tomorrow, maybe he will play seniors next week.
I am starting to think that the tide of injuries is not just random.
When you lose a critical mass of top 22 players, the load placed on those remaining makes them more vulnerable to injury, whether due to failure to avoid contact or whatever else (due to crushing fatigue).
Think we have entered an injury vortex.
The AFL screwed us with the zero round schedule.
At least next year we won’t have to worry about that.

Checkers was spanked by Laverde. Jayden ****ing Laverde. Meanwhile the actual Essendon KPDs in McKay and Ridley alternated between Kreuger and Howe.

Checkers got the third string defender tonight and couldn't compete, Kreuger got top banana more often than not and made a fist of it.
I've never seen Checkers look so impotent before in a game. His zest and passion seemed non-existent before his injury.

Thought Long showed a bit when he came on including one nice kick along the wing that ultimately lead to a goal. Only concern is his pace, so think he’s better suited as an inside mid instead of wing.

Last edited:
I’ve been to 11 losing grand finals 3 wins and 2 draws mate so don’t question my support
That’s even more naive than the Darcy love fest
If you’re such a strong supporter, why do you always bag the players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 17 = Collingwood 80-92 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back