Review Round 17 = Collingwood 80-92 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Our midfield got completely exposed that it's Nick Daicos or bust. Nick didn't play a brilliant game so it was bust.

Our tall defenders are the worst in the entire AFL, maybe only above North. Dean struggles most weeks, Frampton was woeful, Moore is mediocre at best.

Frenetic energy in the first quarter was awesome. Shows we can switch it up when we need to. Looked like tired legs couldn’t keep up as the game unfolded. Yet still, Naicos hits that last shot on goal, Jordie plays a bit better, Bruz hits some targets, and we might have won. We might be better off with the slower starts and build towards the end of the match.

Nevertheless, I love my club. We have the best coach and the best culture. Our players rock. We’ll be okay. We can, and will, beat any team, don’t care who they are. Keep the faith. Anything could happen from here, footy is full of surprises.

Pies back to back.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fly's presser

You said last week you didn't want to put yourselves in a position to chase the game. It happened again. How disappointed were you with the 3rd quarter?

What's the early word on Brody Mihocek's pec injury?

How did the rest of the group deal with the news on Mihocek given his importance?

Do you feel like one of the issues this year is when you lose control of the game it happens for longer periods and too much damage is done to rectify it?

If you compare last year to this year and looking at the differences, do you think there's a multitude of areas where you've fallen away or do you zero in on one or two areas?

Did your players look more gassed to you than usual in the last quarter?

Brody Mihocek is done for the season. How do you address the forward line with other forwards already missing?

What about the younger players in your side, it felt like the likes of Joe Richards, Lachie Sullivan and Harvey Harrison were giving you a lift a few months ago. Do you think their energy levels are at the same level as previously?

Zach Merrett seem to get through your system in the first half. Did you consider applying a tag on him at that point?

Is there any part of you tonight that reconsiders whether having an extra day up in Queensland was the best way for you to win this match?

How's Isaac Quaynor pulled up?

How close was Josh Daicos to not playing tonight?

Realistically, how far away is Dan McStay from returning? It was reported tonight that he's close to a return through the VFL next week.

You wouldn't consider an immediate return for McStay straight at AFL level without having played VFL footy, after Melbourne opted to do this with Jake Melkhsam who's returning from an ACL injury as well?

Yep, seconds is like a light training run. Just good to get out there and touch the leather a bit.

Every week, I watch Fly’s presser and even if we lost, somehow it just makes me feel better.

Not this week. This week concerns me.

This week the get back to work type catchphrases just sound like hot air. We didn’t see anything out of last week to show any improvement this week.

He’s beginning to sound like he’s in denial about the fact we have real issues.

We don’t play our game now. We’re playing the oppo teams game and we go to water.

Tackling was the biggest thing for us. Now it’s non existent because our pressure game has disappeared and we allow uncontested possessions. We get out marked.

We are never outnumbering now. We get outnumbered. Players look flat and fatigued early in games.

Serious issues. Injuries have not helped but the part that is played above the shoulders is the issue.

I feel like the players are unable to get themselves up for it now. They were all aboard the Fly train the past two years.

Now it looks like they’re not buying in anymore.

Must be so frustrating for Fly, like it is for us, to watch this team slide so far. To watch our skill level be that of a bottom side.

North game was the beginning of the end of this season. We just managed the 4 points so it didn’t seem as bad as it was.

Good coast and this loss, coupled with the three losses to start the season, and two draws. We’re not gonna make it now. Maybe make finals. Top 4 is all but gone.

Expected to see a different Collingwood after that Good Coast game. Like we saw at the Gabba in R3. All we got was more of the same.

Let's be honest.
We complain about injuries but IQ out is not a loss.
He has done nothing all year. Not sure what is going on there.
Every team has spanked North yet we only beat them by coming back from a 54 points behind or something like that.
Yep 54 points behind to North.
I honestly can't see us making the 8. And if we do we will just be making up the numbers.
We aren't a very good side.

Nah, we need our footy players to be their best selves.

We’ve moved on from the BS that if us fans are hurting after a loss, we expect the coach to stick pins into the voodoo dolls of every player.

I would imagine behind the scenes things aren't so lovey dovey 100% of the time with what we are showing on field from our coaches.

Macrea gives off the vibe of backing his group in the public domain but fully willing to give the team a whack when he needs to behind closed doors.

Really, really disappointing. The cracks have been there for a while I guess, but got exposed badly by a team who really isn't that good as the early part of the game showed.

Hard to find many positives and way too many passengers.

To be honest, they never gave us a chance to tackle them. We played to loosely and let them mark everything. Pretty hard to tackle when you need to "STAND!"

They burnt us at the stoppage on the spread too, couldn't go with them.

Also they got more numbers through the center and stopped our run and carry there. Essendon had the outnumber everywhere all night bar the first half of Q1.

Every week, I watch Fly’s presser and even if we lost, somehow it just makes me feel better.

This week the get back to work type catchphrases just sound like hot air. We didn’t see anything out of last week to show any improvement this week.

We don’t play our game now. We’re playing the oppo teams game and we go to water.

Tackling was the biggest thing for us. Now it’s non existent because our pressure game has disappeared and we allow uncontested possessions. We get out marked.

We are never outnumbering now. We get outnumbered. Players look flat and fatigued early in games.

Serious issues. Injuries have not helped but the part that is played above the shoulders is the issue.

I feel like the players are unable to get themselves up for it now. They were all aboard the Fly train the past two years.

Must be so frustrating for Fly, like it is for us, to watch this team slide so far. To watch our skill level be that of a bottom side.

North game was the beginning of the end of this season. We just managed the 4 points so it didn’t seem as bad as it was.

Good coast and this loss, coupled with the three losses to start the season, and two draws. We’re not gonna make it now. Maybe make finals. Top 4 is all but gone.

Expected to see a different Collingwood after that Good Coast game. Like we saw at the Gabba in R3. All we got was more of the same.
Why do you think his messaging would change?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really, really disappointing. The cracks have been there for a while I guess, but got exposed badly by a team who really isn't that good as the early part of the game showed.

Hard to find many positives and way too many passengers.

I think people are underselling Essendon a bit.

They have a pretty sound team across the board, pace, KPP bookends, good amounts of youth and experience mix.

I'd say they lacked a hard edge and grunty inside type but it's getting better in that department for them too.

I think people are underselling Essendon a bit.

They have a pretty sound team across the board, pace, KPP bookends, good amounts of youth and experience mix.

I'd say they lacked a hard edge and grunty inside type but it's getting better in that department for them too.

That's fair. Maybe I'm still a bit angry. Completely out-played us after that initial burst at the start.

They burnt us at the stoppage on the spread too, couldn't go with them.

Also they got more numbers through the center and stopped our run and carry there. Essendon had the outnumber everywhere all night bar the first half of Q1.

Not sure it was a case of couldn’t go with them. We just constantly made the decision not to go with them.

We cheated every contest and then jogged at half pace when the contest was lost and the ball was in the oppo’s hands.

It was pretty deplorable stuff.

And that’s before even touching on the fact this team (coaches) refuse or doesn’t have in its ranks a hard tag.

I like that Fly is measured in his responses.

The one that sticks out to me is the comment about being sick of trailing in matches. The lack of response from the team this week would have surely pissed him off?

Last year he made a difficult decision re Noble.

That time has arrived again.

Having sat back and reflected on that game, it is to our boys immense credit that we were still a serious chance had Nick kicked that goal with 2 minutes remaining. Missing Noble, McCreery, Cox, Mitchell, Elliott, McStay and then losing Cameron for most of the last term is a sizable chunk of our best still missing.

We were a chance because Essendons goal kicking kept us in it.

Checkers was spanked by Laverde. Jayden ****ing Laverde. Meanwhile the actual Essendon KPDs in McKay and Ridley alternated between Kreuger and Howe.

Checkers got the third string defender tonight and couldn't compete, Kreuger got top banana more often than not and made a fist of it.

Young Caddy looks a player for them, oh to have recruiters who value KPP at the draft table.

Had a bit of “out-grunted” to it tonight

Couldn’t break an ultra defensive tag tonight to get any space. Some the tactics they got away with to stop him though were next level. Constantly held and shoved, at one ball in with Daicos facing the ruck contest the Essendon player turned his back on play and wrapped Daicos up in a bear hug as the footy was being thrown in. Of course it was ignored.

Would have liked us to use Daicos as a tag on Merrett to try and gain a spare mid.

They got those tactics from watching the Dogs game when Bontempelli and Macrea did the same style tactics on him and got away with it.

Watch the 2nd half of Dogs game and pay close attention to Bont v ND and Macrea vs ND at stoppages and CB.

I went to the game last night and that was serious awful putrid sh1t we dished up. Reminded me of the uncompetitive games under Bucks.

We allowed a second rate team in Essendon move the ball without any pressure all night. Merrett is a class above with his foot skills yet we let him run amok all night.

Our back line looks in disarray - Moore, Frampton, Dean out positioned, out bodied, and out marked all night.

Our signature pressure game was non existent all night. At one stage well into the 3rd quarter we had zero tackles inside forward 50.

God it was awful to watch.

Our season is done and dusted. More injuries last night and we haven’t looked half the side we have been over the past 2 seasons. It’s been a magnificent ride with a premiership to show, for which I am eternally grateful.

The only shining light is I hope we have contributed to Essendon finishing top 4 so they can go out in straight sets in September and continue the unbeaten streak of not having won a final in 20 years

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back