Review Round 17 = Collingwood 80-92 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve noticed you still have the courage to post after making so many ridiculous posts over the years

Like I said your credibility went down the toilet with bucks coaching career
Um…this is big footy.
Credibility is a fluid concept.

My advice to you is to get outside and enjoy your golden years. It’s unlikely you will see another flag now.

My advice to you is to follow a sport you know something about
Not football tho
I just think it’s great you got this far in life being illiterate.

Well done.

Lol

Personal insults !!!

we had to listen to your dribble all week

go and kiss your Darcy poster and forget tonight ever happened
I’m going to bash my head against a brick wall. A welcome change to conversing with you.

Bon soir mes amie

These new injuries have made this season redundant.
We have to play Krueger in the ruck, supported by probably Frampton, lol.
The premiership defence has turned into a nightmare, so where to go from here?
I wouldn't be rushing back McStay this season, probably give him the last 3 or 4 games of the season, to go into the pre-season with.
Get more games into Sullivan, Jiath, Long McInnes and give a taste of senior footy to DeMattia and Eyre.
I really can't see us making the 8. Injuries have derailed this season, along with players well below last year's form, plus the hunger, continual effort, and desperation seems to be manufactured and not natural. It seems to hard for the players at the moment.
Just build towards a premiership relaunch in 2025....

These new injuries have made this season redundant.
We have to play Krueger in the ruck, supported by probably Frampton, lol.
The premiership defence has turned into a nightmare, so where to go from here?
I wouldn't be rushing back McStay this season, probably give him the last 3 or 4 games of the season, to go into the pre-season with.
Get more games into Sullivan, Jiath, Long McInnes and give a taste of senior footy to DeMattia and Eyre.
I really can't see us making the 8. Injuries have derailed this season, along with players well below last year's form, plus the hunger, continual effort, and desperation seems to be manufactured and not natural. It seems to hard for the players at the moment.
Just build towards a premiership relaunch in 2025....
I think your right on the money
Let’s have a look at the younger guys and see if we can find some players for next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

leaving thelma and louise GIF

Random thoughts.

We have been and still are missing key players.
We looked undersized against North
We looked short against Essendon

Maybe Mihocek being out will force the club to look at KPF as we have NONE coming through. NONE! I don't know the answer here. Its baffling.

Injuries have been cripppling to consistency. The four game start to the season was insanity by the AFL after a short pre season. Or is it possible Wade and the fitness staff got this season wrong. I understand some injuries are just unlucky.

Flys pressers about playing our way or our dna is getting tired. We need an alternative way. We play zones. Well, like basketball, if its not working go to man on man defence, but what do I know?

Today we had an extra man back and so did bombers. It worked for them not for us.

Lets not bag individual players like Moore and Frampton. Watch the way the ball comes into oppos forward 50.

Importantly we are making a lot of unforced errors/skill errors this year. Its really bad. I think the we can make mistakes mentality has some unaccountability to it. Senior players are making the worst errors.

The opposition is transitioning easily from our forward line. We are struggling from kick ins.

Are we arrogant? Don't have the personnel? Have we just been past by better teams?

Im clueless.

I still love the Pies and the fun ride including a flag in the past two years. Its been an awesome journey. Hopefully Wrighty returns to the promise of recruiting to win. Three more wins in the run home would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Disappointing night.

Winning back to back flags was always going to be a tough assignment and maybe tonight confirms it's a bridge too far. However, everything this playing group and Fly produced over the past two seasons deserves nothing but gratitude and appreciation from us. They made our dreams come true and it's something we should cherish forever.

On tonight's game, we were thoroughly outplayed after quarter time. The first quarter was encouraging which we were expecting after Fly's post-match comments last week, but the inability to sustain it was concerning.

The lack of intensity and pressure stood out with our tackle count being at only 43. Hard to know the reason for it, but it's damning that we had 6 players who didn't record a single tackle to their name and 6 more players only recorded 1 tackle. That's half the team with 1 tackle or less.

This year we've been predominantly scoring from front half turnovers and this completely collapsed tonight with McCreery absent due to injury and our forwards not applying enough tackling pressure. Schultz (1 tackle), Mihocek (0 tackles), Hill (0 tackles) just about sums up the poor tackle numbers.

Essendon's ability to block the corridor and force us out wide certainly contributed to our defeat. We kept looking for ways to use the corridor but we either got killed on turnover or we couldn't get our transition game going because of it.

The injury list continues to mount with Checkers, Cameron and IQ. We're just unable to get some continuity with our squad unfortunately.

Personally, I think our premiership aspirations are gone for the year. It just hasn't clicked the way we were hoping. What's cost us is the first three losses of the season (coinciding with the earliest start in VFL/AFL history). After already being on the back foot early, it gave us little room for error to slip up again as we're doing now.

Like we usually say, there's always next week.

Moore hasn't rucked much but it's one of those positions that shouldn't stress the hamstrings too much. I say if he spuds it up the 1st 2 quarters next game throw him in the ruck to see what happens.

Fly's presser

You said last week you didn't want to put yourselves in a position to chase the game. It happened again. How disappointed were you with the 3rd quarter?
"It was hard to watch at times. There were passages of some really unpredictable play for us. I just mentioned to the players it was a bit unrecognisable. It's always a challenge at this level that opposition are trying to take things away from you but you've got to remain true to who you want to be. We have a strong DNA as most teams do. Particular parts of that DNA were just not on show at times. We'll get busy on those things that we know are important to us".
What's the early word on Brody Mihocek's pec injury?
"Brody looks like he's going to need surgery. He'll most likely be out for the season".
How did the rest of the group deal with the news on Mihocek given his importance?
"There's probably a level of most would know, but not yet because we got to get scans to officially make that the case. That will happen shortly, and as we always do we love and support. We'll get around our players and rally together. It is what it is at times".
Do you feel like one of the issues this year is when you lose control of the game it happens for longer periods and too much damage is done to rectify it?
"Maybe. I just go back to what we do. You look at what we want to be. We want to be a high pressure team. To have one six (160) or something (pressure rating) is the lowest for the season. Some of that is within our control. Credit to Essendon, they moved the ball extremely well. 129 uncontested marks. We knew that was coming, so you have a method to try and restrict that phase of the game, but we didn't execute it so you get no chance to put pressure on. Now, we go back to what we want to be. We want to be a high pressure team and we want to play the game in that phase and tonight we just didn't execute it".
If you compare last year to this year and looking at the differences, do you think there's a multitude of areas where you've fallen away or do you zero in on one or two areas?
"Well, last week was really obvious in watching the tape. Parts of our game just looked disconnected. Tonight, we looked unpredictable. Those things we get to work on. This game forces you to live in an outcome world, but we don't live in that space. You're judged on your wins and your losses and that's fair, that's what we're here to do. Ultimately, as soon as this is done we go straight to process. Straight into Monday is your best training day you've ever had in your life, get better in the gym and keep getting better [by] looking at the tape and improve ourselves and we keep moving".
Did your players look more gassed to you than usual in the last quarter?
"That is a great question to ask because when you're unpredictable, there's energy out of 'I'm not sure where I'm going to run; is that ball going there? I thought we were going to move it that way?' so there's layers of disconnections so you become more disconnected. Obviously to the eye, maybe we looked like we didn't have energy. We spoke about it at half time, 'how do we get energy in in our group? By being predictable'. Again, we didn't execute that".
Brody Mihocek is done for the season. How do you address the forward line with other forwards already missing?
"It will be fun won't it. We're going to have some fun. We've played some games this year without Brody. He was out for an extended period with a hamstring injury. When you look back at those games, we found a way to score. Again, it comes back not to individuals. Magnets don't win games. We've got more experience back in our team than previous weeks, but for some unknown reason in the last couple of games we look more disconnected. It's not about the personnel for us, it never has been. It's not about who's playing, it's about how we play. We've got to get back to how we want to play".
What about the younger players in your side, it felt like the likes of Joe Richards, Lachie Sullivan and Harvey Harrison were giving you a lift a few months ago. Do you think their energy levels are at the same level as previously?
"Again, it's not about the individual(s). When you defend as a team there's a system and energy attached to that. The same when we attack as a team. It's not about any individual, it's about a collective. When you take one person outside of a system and then the others fall down. We'll be concentrating on that. Really galvanising our group in terms of connection around the way we move and the way we defend. I liken it to we need to learn to dance together. We're not dancing, we're stepping on each other's toes at times. We'll spend some energy around that".
Zach Merrett seem to get through your system in the first half. Did you consider applying a tag on him at that point?
"We went into the game with a mindset about him because we know how much he generates and runs and creates. There was definitely some energy and discussion around that".
Is there any part of you tonight that reconsiders whether having an extra day up in Queensland was the best way for you to win this match?
"We reviewed the game up there and then a group of guys stayed up and trained the next day. Then we had a day off as we normally would and then we were due back. Half the group stayed up because they wanted to. They had families and things. We won't compromise on that. I'm not sure those things would be something we reflect on too much other than to say if you walk into our environment on Monday for your first time you've ever been in our environment, I guarantee you won't know if we won or lost. I promise you that, because we're all about getting better".
How's Isaac Quaynor pulled up?
"He's got a bit of a sore toe, so I'm not sure what that looks like. He'll get some scans on that and we'll see where that sits".
How close was Josh Daicos to not playing tonight?
"Very close. I thought on Wednesday or something I said 'he's a million to one to play'. Someone told me 'he's miles behind' and I said 'he must have been two million yesterday' because he looked a long way off it. Credit to our high performance team, Simon does an incredible job with our players, and our physios give them every chance".
Realistically, how far away is Dan McStay from returning? It was reported tonight that he's close to a return through the VFL next week.
"Yeah, that's probably accurate. He's very close. Whether it's next week or the week after, he's very close. It will be exciting to have Dan back. I'm sure everyone will get pretty excited when they see Dan jump and run around at VFL or whatever it looks like. Clearly after Checkers going out, we're going to need every one of our guys like Dan be ready to present. We're not going to rush Dan in before he's ready. That doesn't make sense. Comeback to my original statement, it's not who plays, it's how we play".
You wouldn't consider an immediate return for McStay straight at AFL level without having played VFL footy, after Melbourne opted to do this with Jake Melkhsam who's returning from an ACL injury as well?
"Yeah I'm not sure. I'm not in the world of comparison. We just sort of worry about our athlete. Dan's done a lot right. We'll weigh all that up".

Darcy Moore is the worst performing captain in the league.. everything is so wrong with this player. his inability to defend, his wrong decision making, his constant give always, his head covering, his unnatural blonde hair, his cheesy smile etc etc

Krueger truly gave his all despite his deficiencies!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back