Review Round 17 = Collingwood 80-92 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it interesting that Schultz cops so much criticism but Lipinski does not.

To my eye, Lippa is the biggest downhill skier in the side. He looks great when we’re flying but is never amongst our bests when we lose and never elevates himself to change the direction of a match. If not for injuries, he should be dropped.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I don't remember seeing him after quarter-time. I had to look at his stats to see if he had been off. 11 possessions as a midfielder at 83% game time was very poor. However, he wasn't alone. The problem is we have several players who are akin to a foreskin. When it gets hard they disappear

Thanks - I like your summation a lot. I too don’t understand why our defensive system so often feels like we are not prepared to impact a marking contest until it’s to late as they all seem to prefer to guard space. This defensive system doesn’t seem to be working - is that effort?

Midfield group outside of Naicos I don’t see a lot of elite talent coming through. This is where you really need elite talent. It’s a real worry long term as Nick can’t do it by himself.

Our issue forward of the ball is we simply have no aerial threats. Mihocek is almost done; Krueger looks like he could be that 3rd forward but is not a contested marking type player. Last night Bobby Hill was flying for marks such was our issue.

Since 2018 this group has delivered 4 preliminary finals 2 grand finals and a flag (was almost 2). This record stacks up pretty well.

I can’t see us improving from this point with our age profile and lack of elite talent coming through. Desperately lack a KPF or 2. Need a KPD and some A grade midfielder. Hard to see how we are going to fill the gaps on our list with so little draft currency, and seemingly not many high end free agents (aka someone like Jeremy Cameron) being available to us.

Not a new situation - we’ve been here before and we will come back.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s a pity Henry was mentally soft, although I suspect if the Geelong risk wasn’t there he wouldn’t have last to our pick.

Don’t hurt yourself on the wall

I’m looking forward to you and the society telling me how great Darcy’s form is again
I don't have a problem with posts that express an opinion on players or coaches but think you are being too harsh on Moore.

The backline has been swinging doors all season with him being the only constant, that adds more pressure on him.

He isn't the sole reason we have lost games.

This year is very comparable to the frustrating 2019 season we had

High expectations and hopes were squashed early with a poor start that saw us out of the 8 after 3 games. We responded with a flurry of wins that saw us in 2nd for about a month behind the clear best side Geelong. Many of these wins were close and were won with only a quarter or a half of good footy. Injuries came and hampered our depth, and whilst we had the expectation that we would turn one good quarter into three or four, it went the other way and we lost a lot of games that saw us fighting for our spot in the 8.

Maybe this year will be similar and we flick a late switch that sees us surge toward top four, but either way this side displays zero traits of a premiership winning team this year and should we play finals, we will be walking away before grand final week.

Thought Long showed a bit when he came on including one nice kick along the wing that ultimately lead to a goal. Only concern is his pace, so think he’s better suited as an inside mid instead of wing.
For a big guy i thought his pace looked ok. Better than Macrae or Sullivan at least.

I am going to be so sad when Pendlebury, Sidebottom or Elliott retire. they are my favourite players and I am yet to pick one out of this current team. Of course the Daicos bros stand out but everyone has one of them.

Look at both Sidey's and Pendles (he had the most tackles) game. 2024-07-06_114233.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with posts that express an opinion on players or coaches but think you are being too harsh on Moore.

The backline has been swinging doors all season with him being the only constant, that adds more pressure on him.

He isn't the sole reason we have lost games.
I watched him closely last night
Caddy waltzed up on the wing with Darcy trailing him and allowed him to mark the ball uncontested .. no punch no defensive pressure
Zilch .. and then there’s him being 5 metres off his man for most of the night

He’s a liability for us atm
But I realise that a lot of supporters here like the status quo even when the backline is a shambles

I am going to be so sad when Pendlebury, Sidebottom or Elliott retire. they are my favourite players and I am yet to pick one out of this current team. Of course the Daicos bros stand out but everyone has one of them.

Look at both Sidey's and Pendles (he had the most tackles) game.View attachment 2039932
Same. I can't imagine watching our games without those 3 playing.

I've got a couple of new favourites, (Harvey & Joey) but they've been a bit lacklustre the past few weeks 😩

My cult hero favourites (Big Bill & Leggy) have let me down big time this year.

Caddy waltzed up on the wing with Darcy trailing him and allowed him to mark the ball uncontested .. no punch no defensive pressure

But I realise that a lot of supporters here like the status quo even when the backline is a shambles
So by watching him closely you missed what the others were doing? How the ball got to the backline? Our mids got back to support? One player does not make for an efficient backline.

Were you at the game or just watched on TV?

What baffling decisions apart from Long on the bench?

How frequently we have the wrong player as the sub?

We almost never use it as an actual tactic either. We wait until it’s too late generally to use it

We’re actually a club tbh at has some genuine utilities and impact players and yet we never use the sub that way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does it matter where I watched it ???

Are you saying that you can’t have an opinion unless you’re there ???
My god another red herring

Agreed, I think it is time to swing Moore forward (because that is basically how he is playing anyway no defensive pressure no manning up) and Howe back as interceptor with Dean/Frampton as the tall lockdown defender.

WOW!!!

So much doom and gloom.

Yes, we were very poor with our pressure and didn’t kill enough aerial contests. Essendon killed us here.

Credit to Essendon for bringing it, but fu(κεd if I’m going to already throw in the towel with our boys. We win a couple of the ones we aren’t expected to and we are back in the mix.

All the negative rhetoric is why I hardly bother posting with almost 20 years here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW!!!

So much doom and gloom.

Yes, we were very poor with our pressure and didn’t kill enough aerial contests. Essendon killed us here.

Credit to Essendon for bringing it, but fu(κεd if I’m going to already throw in the towel with our boys. We win a couple of the ones we aren’t expected to and we are back in the mix.

All the negative rhetoric is why I hardly bother posting with almost 20 years here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's usually the same ones who post the same doom & gloom & negativity every week & usually regardless of the result.

Ignore button is your best friend, I find 😉

What does it matter where I watched it ???

Are you saying that you can’t have an opinion unless you’re there ???
My god another red herring
You can have an opinion, but maybe it’s not based on reality.

Although I did not expect us to go back to back (so hard to do, more so when we were not a dominant team). I did hope that we would be deep in the thick of it at the end of the season.

The last two games, in addition to 7 more injuries suggests a finals campaign may be a bridge too far. Mihocek gone for the season. Cameron reportedly injured with ribs (with no ruckman available to replace him) and IQ injured. Our cupboards are bare. Furthermore our consistent pressure & running game of the past two seasons only comes only in fits & spurts and only for half a quarter here or there. Our injuries have no doubt played a part, as has the opposition having worked our how to play our system.

It was another night where our mids were starved of the ball. Where we couldn’t transition the ball out of D50 & and our forwards unsighted

I was going to suggest that we drop IQ to make a statement, alas the decision may have been made for us but without the impact

The zone defence can only work effectively with sustained pressure from the midfield. The opposition has it worked out. However it has Moore holes in it than swiss cheese. Surely when one can see the ball is coming towards a Bomber player that one can stop guarding grass and move towards an opponent? Too many times this season & particularly the past 2 weeks, our backs would not move towards their opponent until the ball was in the air on the way towards the player. Way too late… Moore & Frampton did not impact one marking contest with any physicality last night. On a night where the ball was constantly inside the Bombers forward line with our backs under sustained pressure Frampton did not get his first possession until just after midway through the 3RD QUARTER. At this point he had 86% game time

Each time Essendon went forward the had multiple options because our mids were not pushing back & our mids were guarding grass.

Our midfielders, whilst some are great individually, are not a good midfield collectively. They run one way. We are too aggressive & take off before we have won the ball. There is no defensive pressure. Too often, the opposition are able to run the ball out with little pressure. We definitely have trouble laying a tackle (to be fair this is problematic across the field)

Starting Long as sub was a poor tactical move when we knew Essendon’s midfield, particularly Merrett & Durden would get plenty of the ball.

Naicos was left to do it all by himself last night. 31D, 17 contested, 23 kicks, 12 clearances, 400mg. People were saying his game was poor by his low DE%. I say BS. DE% means it did not each the target or within 2m of it. DE% needs to be read in conjunction with TO. This is a direct turnover from possession. Out of Nick’s 31 possessions only 3 resulted in direct turnovers.

We had culprits worse than him. Sidey had 22 kicks for 7 direct turnovers, Crisp 15 kicks for 6, Maynard 15 for 5, WHE 16 for 6, Jaicos 8 for 4, JDG 7 for 4, IQ 4 for 4 & Frampton 3 for 2, Hill 8 for 3

Our forwards had no chance last night with the way the ball was kicked into 50. When we were going forward the Bombers had the great wall up as the mid’s & HF’s had pushed back to cover men & space. It is poor football knowing our forward line is small and yet we keep bombing it high towards the area 25-30m directly in front. The Bombers defence picked us off every time. McKay 11 marks, 8 ITC’s, Redman 6 marks, Martin 6 marks & Laverde 6 marks

Our forward pressure was non-existent & our forwards had no impact. Booby is a boom or bust. Great when things are going well but often unsighted. Schultz spent a lot of time defending at half-back. Hard to kick goals from there

Despite our success over the past two years and with Fly’s mentorship, we have not become a destination club. Why? Lack of draft picks is a major reason, but as a club we have always over-valued the worth of some of our players & at the same time under valuing others

We need to trade … out & in. Our needs are deep, our bargaining power not so. We need to get creative and quick. Nick needs help. Our midfield is one paced & one dimensional. The likes of McCrae are not up to it.

Hit the nail on the head. Brilliant perspective.

The trade aspect is intriguing. Wright hopefully is working in the background. We need to build a team around the 20-25 year bracket. We will lose 30 plus year old players over the next couple of years. Is there a player, not VFL that we would trade out? When you think about our talent, the coaching staff have extracted a lot from a good group of role players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

cfc19902010 you've made your point enough thanks.
The constant back and forth is tiresome.
Maybe try the main board for some anti player/club sentiment.
Then again, they may all agree with you.

It's usually the same ones who post the same doom & gloom & negativity every week & usually regardless of the result.

Ignore button is your best friend, I find 😉
Great
cfc19902010 you've made your point enough thanks.
The constant back and forth is tiresome.
Maybe try the main board for some anti player/club sentiment.
Then again, they may all agree with you.
Moderators should be more focussed on pulling up posters who play the man rather than the posts

Running multiple investigations into why we had 4 ACL’s per season for multiple seasons.
Think you might be wrong here 76. We had four ACLs in 2012 (I think), but I can’t recall another season with that many.

I haven’t forgotten the Davoren years, but I don’t recall as many concurrent injuries to senior players, and for lengthy periods. I recall lots of soft tissue injuries.

Anyway, the injury toll is shocking and we are suffering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 17 = Collingwood 80-92 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back