VFL Round 17 - Collingwood vs Geelong at Victoria Park (Pies WON 92-42, replay links in the OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

tgBthnu.png

1M7lw1H.png

Phillips with 33 disposals and not named in the bests...

Funnily enough Phillips really stood out in the 1st and 4th quarters, largely unnoticed in the 2nd and 3rd. Neat trick given the fluro orange boots.

Very surprised the Sack made the bests, he was very ordinary, overran the footy on a couple of occasions, lots of turnovers, lots of fumbling. All the stuff supporters criticise him for. Tooves was much more resolute in defense. Both were probably shaded by Pendles, Kelly and Gray in defense.

That is a great win from the VFL side. Caddy, Horlin-Smith, Lang, Selwood is some sort of midfield at VFL level. With targets of Kersten and Murdoh up forward one can understand why Geelong started favorites. The fact that we belted them is something else. Macaffer best club-man in 2016.

Thoughts on Lachlan Howe?

I have been impressed with him the few times I have seen him. A real competitive beast. If Witts does leave we perhaps should look at rookie listing him as backup to Grundy.

Thoughts on Lachlan Howe?

I have been impressed with him the few times I have seen him. A real competitive beast. If Witts does leave we perhaps should look at rookie listing him as backup to Grundy.
Good competitor, but very undersized by AFL ruck standards.

Hey y'all, can anyone let me know how Cal Matheson went in his first game back from injury?

I see that he kicked 2 goals in the 2nd half and his stats were fairly decent.

Matheson was a solid contributor all day. The close contested footy really suited him.

Good competitor, but very undersized by AFL ruck standards.

He's an interesting 1 I reckon. Size wise he's listed at 200cm (Mummy is 197cm, White does okay and he's only 196cm) and he's a big lump of a lad.

I alternate between "doubt he's got much improvement left in him" and "he's only 22-23, missed a lot of footy due to injury (ACL?), maybe there is still a bit of improvement there".

I think that if Witts decides to seek a new environment then we could do worse than add Howe to the rookie list with our last pick. Reminds me a bit of a slightly less skilled Jamar. He's taken the scalps of a few well credentialed ruckmen thus far this season and had a few quarters where he was clearly BOG. Add that I still don't think his body is 100% right or he has full confidence in it. If Witts stays then I can't see the need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's an interesting 1 I reckon. Size wise he's listed at 200cm (Mummy is 197cm, White does okay and he's only 196cm) and he's a big lump of a lad.

I alternate between "doubt he's got much improvement left in him" and "he's only 22-23, missed a lot of footy due to injury (ACL?), maybe there is still a bit of improvement there".

I think that if Witts decides to seek a new environment then we could do worse than add Howe to the rookie list with our last pick. Reminds me a bit of a slightly less skilled Jamar. He's taken the scalps of a few well credentialed ruckmen thus far this season and had a few quarters where he was clearly BOG. Add that I still don't think his body is 100% right or he has full confidence in it. If Witts stays then I can't see the need.
200cm? Didn't think he was that tall tbh, thought he was more around the 196 mark, but happy to be wrong. Always struck me as a ruckman in a KPF body.

Can anyone update me on what's up with Tardrew, Hire, Close & Still please?

Tardrew's playing local footy. I have no idea about the others though

Still played his first game locally on the weekend, after receiving clearance each of the past four weeks. Kicked a goal against Heidelberg.

Close hasn't played since our win against Williamstown and was apparently battling a knee complaint. Has been named in the team a couple of times since then but hasn't appeared.

Tardrew, as you say, has been playing locally (for Sandhurst) and I can't find anything on Hore, who looked pretty good in the first half a dozen rounds. Think he maxed out his allotted allowance of games as a 23rd player.

Still played his first game locally on the weekend, after receiving clearance each of the past four weeks. Kicked a goal against Heidelberg.

Close hasn't played since our win against Williamstown and was apparently battling a knee complaint. Has been named in the team a couple of times since then but hasn't appeared.

Tardrew, as you say, has been playing locally (for Sandhurst) and I can't find anything on Hore, who looked pretty good in the first half a dozen rounds. Think he maxed out his allotted allowance of games as a 23rd player.

Thanks MagpieBat you're a true champion.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Round 17 - Collingwood vs Geelong at Victoria Park (Pies WON 92-42, replay links in the OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back