Autopsy Round 18, 2022: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d like to preface this by saying that I’m usually a very positive/idealistic supporter of the club. But honestly, you can’t BS your way out of our recent performances.

Turning it on in the 4th qtr shows that there’s life but it’s simply not good enough, and makes us look like a really flipping selective team with where we put our effort. I mean the fact that we could’ve had the biggest comeback in AFL history if we had kicked straight in the fourth literally is damning to the effort we put In for the first three quarters.

We were TOP FOUR AT THE BYE. What can I possibly say that hasn’t already been said?

We are a club who, from the outside looking in, lack accountability. And that’s not simply acceptable, and will get us absolutely no where. A major reset is needed. No more of this half arsed half rebuilding, half contending crap. We are severely missing leadership and conviction on and off the field.

Simply, our input does not match our desired output. Hell it doesn’t even match an adequate level of output.

And that means the club is dysfunctional.

2020: Barely made finals after fumbling through the second half of the year.

2021: Started atrociously but looked ‘ok’ by years end.

2022: First half we were top 4 quality. Second half? Won ONE out of a possible SIX games, thus far.

For a game as omni-directional as AFL, we has repeatedly shown ZERO ability to adapt strategies. Shallow forward 50 bombs galore, without respite. Senseless turnovers without respite. And even if we even the forward 50 bomb we have no set up around the ball. Honestly feels like we are tanking because the strategy is nonsensical. There’s no accountability, there’s no conviction.

No more half measures, honestly. There’s zero point from a business or a football perspective to be a middling team. I don’t believe in all that “woe is me, I’m a saints supporter shit”, the truth is we have the capacity to be a great team. And this loss has nothing to do with our history, so get over that. In the present now, we could’ve been much better, we could’ve played with integrity and we didnt. We are not even close to scratching that our capacity right now, for whatever reason, and honestly, watching us trying to figure that out is downright insanity.

I’ll continue to support, but I’m not sure if I’ll be putting my money into the club any time soon. I don’t have much money to my name, and it seems like not buying membership is the only way I can voice my discontent in how this club is being managed. There’s no accountability otherwise. It’s pretty saddening, but for as optimistic as I am, it makes no sense to reward our clubs inability to adapt to regular challenges in the AFL.

Signing Ratten up for two more years really just isn’t a good look right now. Sure, we MIGHT, rebound massively in the next two years and looks like geniuses, but that’s the same type of thinking which leads us to repeatedly bombing the ball forward hoping something game-changing will happen. Dysfunctional club in a nutshell.

TLDR:

We were not up for the fight. Anyhow, take a break, do something you love this weekend, find gratitude outside of football, ebbs and flows.

Last edited:
Not many blokes who’d tie the laces of our era from 2004-11.

We are a soft side but it starts from the club. This administration chose a guy who has nothing more to show than Richo despite having all the off field and on field appointments he wants instead of the best coach of the modern era. The players aren't any worse than 70% of the clubs they play against but play systemless stupid footy with no game sense or pride in the club.

It's not hyperbole to say nobody gives a f*ck within the 4 walls
Seems to be the truest post on here.

They still get paid, why would they give two shits.
We got a record membership this year.

Enjoy it admin, you won't get it next season.

join the circus GIF

Hey George I did ask this once before - please can you leave the game day thread open longer for another day or so, people can still reply to posts on there for a while.

Aside from that….
rabble
rabble
rabble….

disgraceful what they put their supporters through.

Yeah, this just reaffirms to me that I really kinda hate with a great passion our F50.

What I wouldn't give for an actual KP that isn't a GOP running under the ball or a HFF who floats around type or relying on smalls to jump or resting ruck to do things. The fact that we've basically changed all our CHF types into backmen is infuriating as it's pushing shit up hill.

We'll flat track like a boss and end up as the mid range gop team.

This match was also funny, should have just handshaked at half time and played another game, maybe just do circle work or something as neither side is doing squat this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a reminder. Ben Long was the biggest change and it wasn’t a coaching decision

Under Ratts it's all been a few individual performances carry the side over the line. He's just not up to it. We will ruin another generation while we wait for change and need to start again. He's probably just cost us a couple of free agents.

Absolutely atrocious - they are no longer playing for the coach or the club.

I cant believe how poor our systems have become? Nearly every handball tonight was given to a stationary player. Its like they have been practicing stationary handball drills and forgot that you need moving players?

Then attempting kicks off no steps again no momentum, or second guessing who to kick to and missing so many targets it was embarrassing.

They are a group of confused footballers who as soon as things dont work they emotionally cave in. That mental susceptibility is not that of a happy or well coached group of footballers.

There are significant issues at Moorabbin and unfortunately it all points towards to the coaching group. If you think otherwise you are not being realistic.

Last edited:
We saw how effective it was in the brief period last year when Max King would make leads.
Why won't he do it now?

Is it the coaches telling him not to do it? Is it their instruction that has him going into almost every marking contest on flat feet?

Or is it that he simply doesn't have the work ethic to put in the effort? I'm starting to think him - just like most of the squad around him - aren't interested in putting in the hard yards. Why would they? they get paid week after week regardless.

We are a soft side but it starts from the club. This administration chose a guy who has nothing more to show than Richo despite having all the off field and on field appointments he wants instead of the best coach of the modern era. The players aren't any worse than 70% of the clubs they play against but play systemless stupid footy with no game sense or pride in the club.
We’re a soft club because we like soft people. We have since we chanced the Angry Midget coach out of our club. Character over talent, nurturing over systematic and disciplined

You reap what you sow, and we’ve sowed a field of lovely young men who pick and choose when to show up to play and a coach who has no tactical nouse.

Here’s to 2023…

The first half was a disgrace. The players looked either disinterested or angry. The kicking was a joke.

To me there are actually positives to take from the game despite how disappointing it was:
- Wilkie and Battle. Absolute gun games from both. Especially Wilkie. He destroyed Bruce and was just immense. Also thought Sharman back actually worked.

- Marshall into the ruck.
Now I feel bad because I started that thread about our rucks and it looks like Paddy may have gotten injured and be done, but seriously, we looked like a completely different side when Marshall went into the ruck.

I have a few qualms about Ratts at the moment and this is one of them. We've basically hamstrung ourselves for the majority of the season because we don't use Ryder and Marshall properly. Every game Ryder rucks as majority ruck, bar a few, he barely touches the ball. Then we have Marshall hardly getting into games in the forward line. Tonight was a great example, when Marshall went into the ruck he destroyed his opponent. Imagine if we'd had him there the whole game? The mind boggles for me what this season could have been if we'd used Marshall as our first ruck all year and used Paddy as a forward who can go into the ruck when we need him.

The other thing with Ratts is his media messaging. His messaging about how we need to be risky with the ball, it just got so muddled up for the players I think and the last two weeks we've killed ourselves with stupid turnovers. We didn't look like a team that knew how we wanted to play.

I'm really pissed off because tonight was a missed opportunity again. We showed in the last quarter how average the Dogs are but we just played dumb insipid football for too long and cost ourselves the game.

The only real positive you can take is if we can play like we did in the last quarter for the rest of the year we're still a chance at finals. But the chances are we shit ourselves again.

Oh and just want to add something... Our tackling was possibly the worst I've ever seen.

What a shitshow, uncompetitive in the first half and when we started to get on top in the second half our forwards kicked point after point after point.

If we are tanking for draft picks we played it perfectly tonight, the Dogs won't play finals, they will finish 9th at best so we are the real winners tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2022: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back