Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Dougal pissis as all off lol
I was so annoyed that his opponent kicked one goal, from a dodgy free kick conceded by someone else, in a game where the ball came into the 50 non stop.
Any mention of the defender that got out marked all day and had multiple goals kicked on him? Or do we need to keep sweet with his dad in the Quill Room?

We didn't really have a proper footy department. Trout was a guy who was an assistant coach under Lyon who went on personal leave, came back and we found him a job rather than move him on. Guys like Ameet Bains made structural list decision outside his expertise which was more financial management than talent identification.

Lethlean was given the job of reviewing the list and making big decisions, again after being a guy with no experience. He got his mate Gags down who worked in sales inside a bank. He didn't make very good structural decisions and chased for feel good stories rather than needs and sold low and bought high.

It was obvious that drafting had been a huge weakness. We had the least rising star nominations of any club, least all Australians and just about every other award in the league. The data was there but they wilfully ignored it. Post Brendan Goddard in 2002, our drafting fell off a cliff. John Bevo was about 90 and still out watching TAC games for us.

The Geelong guy who's name has slipped my mind actually got us a few good players but we sold them all off for nothing. Cripps, Lynch, McEvoy etc and then sacked him. Then the really s**t years kicked in. We sold off second rounders for guys like Freeman, traded for guys like Logan Austin etc and sold players that were best 22 for more picks that we wasted.

Honestly we couldn't have stuffed it up more if we'd deliberately tried to self sabotage. Trout was probably a double agent working for the evil Essendon empire.
Logan Austin. Holy smokes. I forgot about that one. Second rounders can be damn gold and we do stuff like that.

I was so annoyed that his opponent kicked one goal, from a dodgy free kick conceded by someone else, in a game where the ball came into the 50 non stop.
Any mention of the defender that got out marked all day and had multiple goals kicked on him? Or do we need to keep sweet with his dad in the Quill Room?
Who we talking about

Who's that?

Please, I would encourage everyone to listen VERY CLOSELY to this press conference.

RTB brutally honest and no BS! He knows exactly why we have broken down & what our deficiencies are - they are not a short term fix and I would be feeling very uncomfortable if I was a player on the fringe or with no upside or not prepared to do the work!

Do yourself a favour and listen without any bias or preconceived ideas.

My opinion only but this guy is an elite coach and has an excellent understanding of the game.
At the absolute least - he sees what we see and it’s very different than the summaries from the last two coaches.

I had a very tough 48 hours on a personal level before the game and was hoping the game might cheer me up a bit. However, other than maybe one of Sharman's goals or Peris' run down tackle I don't think I ever got even slightly excited. I can't remember a recent game where there was less to get excited about (WC and NM games were horrible but didn't feel as bad as this).

I agree with most that has been said on here. I didn't think we were really going anywhere with Ratten, so I was happy with the Lyon appointment and am willing to give him another season or two before I start to questions the clubs decision on that. He inherited a mess of a list and hasn't had a chance to fix it yet.

For me, it all boils down to a decade of poor decisions. Poor drafting when we bottomed out in 2012 - 2015 led to our position in 'no man's land in 2017 - 2019. The club couldn't sell another rebuild so has tried to top up along the way. We looked good in 2020, but it's clear now that was the outlier in a strange year. The club thought we could build a premiership team around the current crop of 26-30 year olds (Steele, Membrey, Howard, Sinclair, Hill, Wilkie, Crouch, Billings, etc) but its quite clear that isn't happening. It's time to focus on the young group of under 23 year olds (King, Higgins, Pou, Owens, NWM, Windy) and start to build the list around them. A few of the older guys like Steele, Sinclair, Wilkie and Marshall can still be apart of that, but that is about it.

We severely lack quality midfielders and leaders and that is the number 1 problem on the field at the moment. When was the last time we drafted a midfielder of our own that turned into a quality A grade player? Who of our draftees show any sort of leadership potential? Our drafting has been nothing short of a disaster up until the last few years. There must be something lacking in our development program also. I can't believe that we could draft SO many poorly skilled and poor decision makers year after year. We must be doing something wrong after they come into the system as well.

The season hasn't been a complete disaster as we now have a few gun kids to get excited about. The problems in the forward line can also be attributed to the fact that we are so young in there and they will also be better for the experience. We might win the next 2 but that will be it i'm afraid.

Looking forward to the off season and (hopefully) starting the list turnover.

What’s the point of saying “GF players” if it doesn’t include players who played in a GF? What’s the definition?
Ok you're being serious, the definition is a player believed to either be proven in a GF, or player who is proving he is capable of playing in a GF...and winning one.

Cordy has slipped considerably since 2016 and is not in the category of proving he is capable and it does't look like he can get back into the category for the short term.

Using yesterdays game, I'm struggling to find 4-6 players who fit either category.

Hence my belief for some time now is that we need to reubuild and only the magnitude is up for debate.

My prediction is that Ross will go public over the next 6 weeks with the use of the word rebuild.

The earlier the better as we can start openly putting the message out there the club has many positions to fill.

Please, I would encourage everyone to listen VERY CLOSELY to this press conference.

RTB brutally honest and no BS! He knows exactly why we have broken down & what our deficiencies are - they are not a short term fix and I would be feeling very uncomfortable if I was a player on the fringe or with no upside or not prepared to do the work!

Do yourself a favour and listen without any bias or preconceived ideas.

My opinion only but this guy is an elite coach and has an excellent understanding of the game.
Dunno, if stating the bleeding' obvious is elite, then fair enough. His excellent understanding of the game has seen us fall away now that opposition coaches with a better understanding of the game have picked his game apart. The pressure should be on Lyon and his assistants as much as the players for the rest of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he isn’t popular.

But SOS doesn’t do trades where he gets bent over.

So if an experienced player was to move on. We would get something decent.

He is a C U Next Tuesday character. Partly why Ross wanted him in the gig

Well that's a good start. Hopefully he doesn't chase shit players then.

I know he isn’t popular.

I don't see SOS as that big of an issue, hasn't been in the role long enough to rate his performance but bringing Caminiti over was a big positive.

Think we have more immediate issues than SOS - who's performance really will be judged on this year and next years draft.

Ok you're being serious, the definition is a player believed to either be proven in a GF, or player who is proving he is capable of playing in a GF...and winning one.

Cordy has slipped considerably since 2016 and is not in the category of proving he is capable and it does't look like he can get back into the category for the short term.

Using yesterdays game, I'm struggling to find 4-6 players who fit either category.

Hence my belief for some time now is that we need to reubuild and only the magnitude is up for debate.

My prediction is that Ross will go public over the next 6 weeks with the use of the word rebuild.

The earlier the better as we can start openly putting the message out there the club has many positions to fill.
Just say players that stand up in big games. Most of us knew what you meant x

I know he isn’t popular.

Hopefully he recruits some C U N T S on the field instead of pussies that let RORY ATKINS have 33 and 2

Understand Gold Coast have a talented team with heaps of early picks running around, that is not won them the game.

In the first half it was their pressure was more than ours - simple.

That is coachable, the coach should take some responsibility.

Was not on board with the Lyon appointment when it occurred and still do not think he is the messiah (didn't earlier in the season when we were winning). There is no plan B and we are way to0 defensive, get found out then bang no change up - take the game on or positional changes.

Have read a lot of posts both here and the Unfinished Business posts, talking up the coaches honesty in the press conference....have not seen that myself. Can take the credit when we are winning needs to take it on the chin when we have a few losses.

It is fn obvious we have lacked power and class in the middle , still need to get time into the kids in their and improve our game plan. If it was not for Owens, Wanganeen Milera, Marshall (yep he was beaten yesterday but he has been sensational), Windhager we would have no hope. Caminiti will be good needs time. We have some classy kids we need more and some to help them.

I rate Sharman he is a natural footballer who should be given game time (might not be a typical Lyon player but he can be a gun in the right system), Gresham should be a roving forward not in the middle, Marshall needs help in the ruck and we will be fd if we do not do something about the midfield and the gameplan.

The current situation should not be all about the players (coaching should have been about intensity at the start of the game and mixing up ball movement - we are so predictable going down the wing getting picked off).

Some self reflection and honesty from the whole club is needed not just having a crack at the players.

I don't see SOS as that big of an issue, hasn't been in the role long enough to rate his performance but bringing Caminiti over was a big positive.

Think we have more immediate issues than SOS - who's performance really will be judged on this year and next years draft.
Most important job at the club the next few years
I don’t rate a lot of his past work
We will know a lot more at the end of this trade period

I don't care about this season that much with the exception of seeing the young blokes do well. The list is crap, we are all aligned on that, the judgement of this football department will be based on the turnover in the next few years.

Nas, Owens, Windy, Pou, Caminiti and Stocker from the last 2 years. Hopefully Hotton, Van Es and Keeler come on.

Nail another 2 off-seasons like this and we'll be in contention. **** it up, and we continue to go nowhere. It's that simple to me.

We pay hard earned money to support this club, these players, these coaches.

We actually PAY to watch these putrid c#%*s serve up the same horrific, brain dead fu%$$ng dogshite every single week.

These players, aside from barely being able to execute extremely simple football skills, are just not smart footballers, very low IQ players.
Bomb inside 50 to nobody (defensive intercept mark), handball in congestion to a teammate with 3 blokes on him 1m away, no awareness, constant stupid decisions, man free i50? Nah ill bomb it to the 3on1 not in our favour down the line.

They are truly unwatchable now.

We kick 50pts a game, turn it over like no other team and I just cannot hack watching the poorest decision makers in the league dump kicks 40m high any more.

F*** em.

Just say players that stand up in big games. Most of us knew what you meant x
And as we know all too well, we haven't had a critical mass of those types since around the turn of the 2010 decade.
And even then it was a group of torch bearers that did most of the heavy lifting.

I've mentioned this a few times since Parkin was on SEN last week, the discussion was about what was needed to win a flag, the magical number for decades now has been about 25 quality players, but most pundits who have been around footy already know that so it's a really deep list needed to be consistently good performers and win a flag or two.

We are at least 4-5 years away from that, my only hope is that the club doesn't do what the club does and sack another coach. Got the coach, just need the list but we a long way back and our club makes building a list possibly the hardest assignment there is in professional sport, possibly only North have it as hard.

Best thing we can do for the remainder of the year is get Ross to continue telling the fans finals is not on his agenda and put all of our core players such as Max into a very early pre season.

Most important job at the club the next few years
I don’t rate a lot of his past work
We will know a lot more at the end of this trade period
Wonder why Ross got him across if he's no good. I don't know enough about him aside from his obsession with GWS players.

Maybe Ross is more concerned about how we develop than who we draft but surely we need to also draft well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back