Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't care less if nobodies like you can't reconcile things.
Not my responsibility your lack.of intelligence or understanding.
As for gringo, I agree with him most of the time, sometimes I disagree with him. Same with him to me. Oh no people agree or disagree on a forum.
Jog on champ.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I did do pretty poorly in school so there's probably something in your observations

PS - Some comments from Tony74 on SS;

I keep seeing this claim of looking to the future. Why then did it take till the last quarter of the game to have a centre-bounce group that didn't feature all the senior blokes.

Why did we continue to rush Steele back?
Why did we play Ross injured and then injure himself further?

We would have been better off ripping the band aid off so much earlier.
Instead, we will get to be the butt of jokes again.

We are throwing this out now because the hope of finals is now dimming by the minute. They went the half-half measure and got found wanting.

I keep seeing this claim of looking to the future. Why then did it take till the last quarter of the game to have a centre-bounce group that didn't feature all the senior blokes.

We are throwing this out now because the hope of finals is now dimming by the minute. They went the half-half measure and got found wanting.

thats was my fear with Ross Lyon coming in. Oh Well.

Falling back to the 'looking to the future' line seems to be bit of a cop out for us absolutely bottling a must win game.
There's only so many must win games that can get bottled before you have to say this is a trend not an anomaly.
If it's a trend then the squad is not good enough and you build for the future.

Long taking out Jones early, really put us on the back foot.

Long would have got 5 weeks if he was still playing for St Kilda.
Was thinking that at the time

Last edited:
Let’s unpack this.

1. No one has said we are making finals. Expectations from the fanbase rose because of our start to the year. Ross has said you deserve to play finals based on your performances. We did, now we don’t.

That’s as far as he has gone.

2. The 1 player who makes sense to go onball for substantial periods of time and change the dynamic is currently holding down a key forward position. - Owens.

In the last few weeks. Sinclair has moved permanently onball. There is only so many moves you can make when trying to cover for King and Membrey.

View attachment 1741035
Here's my answers if anyone wants to pass them on -

The idea that the board and the coaching staff thought "the eight was a distant chance" - total garbage.

They've played Sharman in differing spots because he's not good enough to fill a specific position in our best 22 but definitely good enough to fill a variety of spots when injuries occur.

Bytel simply isn't good enough.

Peris was chosen for this game because the need for more defensive pressure in the forward half.

Highmore simply isn't good enough.

The coaching panel haven't been selecting "for the future" as much as they've been selecting based on availability.

We have deficiencies but to say our list is s*** and that we are not that good is rubbish. We are a few players away from being a clear top 6 team.

The thing that really s*** me is everyone whingeing on about how we need this and that and how crap everyone is but then conveniently forget that we were a bee's d*** away from De Goey, close to getting Pick 3 last year from North and a player like Draper a couple of years ago.
What good would DeGoey do us given the state of our list needing 2 to 3 years of picks to improve? He's 27, would a 30 yo Jordy help us win a PF in 3 years time? That's a Hill type move, spend big to tread water.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The coaching panel haven't been selecting "for the future" as much as they've been selecting based on availability.

Well this is bullshit.

With all your tall timber forward of the ball down. It makes more sense to play Marshall forward - where he has predominantly played across the last 3 seasons and Campbell in the ruck.

Infact dropping Cordy and playing Caminiti continuously flys in the face of this narrative that the selections were one and the same

Infact Highmore playing Battles position makes more sense as it then allows battle to go forward.

But none of the above occurred. They stayed true to structure and developed kids to build towards the future as opposed to focusing on win now

There's only so many must win games that can get bottled before you have to say this is a trend not an anomaly.
If it's a trend then the squad is not good enough and you build for the future.
We don't get to go back and try to rationalise the loss as we were 'building for the future' while our opposition - who just sacked their coach and whose finals chances were much slimmer - were playing for the now. That's bullshit. We didn't turn up and have f*cked our our very good finals chances because of it.

I love the half meter handball to the bloke standing next to you when you’re both about to get tackled.

I get the idea, it prevents being held with the ball, but it’s frustrating to see.

Our handballing skills must be the worst in the league by far. If these guys handballed like this in junior footy, there’s no way they would get drafted. How is it possible for their skills to go backwards?
I reckon some of our players have been conditioned to play panic football and haven't had their footy iq developed over years of bad footy departments. I'd say the only players we have who don't panic under a bit of pressure are Sincs, NWM, Wilkie, Windy, Owens.

Think it would almost be worth telling them they mustn't do a panic kick or handball for the rest of the games and try and find a good option even if you get caught htb.

Also our forwards should get back to basics and fight for front position, stop trying to get the over the back. Think it's one of the key reasons we give away so many intercept marks.

I'd like a mediocre season to be at the very least mediocre from the beginning as a service to long suffering fans who keep having their hopes raised.

Hopefully my 12 year old son will be able to attend a final with St Kilda in it before he commences university.

My son is nearly 18 and hates footy even though he goes with me to games these days. He leaves most weeks angry and frustrated. He was too young to remember when we were any good and only knows the humiliation of following a struggling club. It feels like child services should have been called on me for putting him through it sometimes. I know it is meant to build character and all that but it would be nice if there was some reward for the delayed gratification.

I have had three great seasons in my lifetime following the Saints. 1997, 2009 and 2010 with the build up under GT nearly better than all of those. The rest has pretty much been pain. You have to question your life choices sometimes but I'm still here talking about it so **** knows what's wrong with me. There is a thesis waiting to be written about the psychology of Saints supporters. Perhaps success would **** with our sense of identity.

I get what you're trying to say and if in 2 years we're kicking 3 goals in a half vs the Gold Coast then yeah we've got serious issues. But I think we've been avoiding the midfield problem for way too long and Ross can't (yet) be held to blame for the group's mental fragility and lack of skill.

The clip below from our ******* captain says it all, pissweak effort that Roo/BJ/Lenny would never accept. We need on-field leaders and a concentrated injection of talent to distance ourselves from the list of the last 10 years as quick as we can. I'm deadset terrified the Richo/Ratts malaise will seep into Owens/Pou etc the more we tread water and before you know it he's doing the below.

I said it at the start of the year, but I'll say it again. Wilkie should be captain not Steele.

Steele needs to focus on getting back to his best and Wilkie seems a better leader anyway.

What good would DeGoey do us given the state of our list needing 2 to 3 years of picks to improve? He's 27, would a 30 yo Jordy help us win a PF in 3 years time? That's a Hill type move, spend big to tread water.

We probably easily make the 8 with an extra top mid.

What happened to the good George at work this morning?
The one who said last night that he was not going to be checking BF every minute?
V disappointed in you.
I’m emailing your boss and dobbing you in!
Typical of a bean counter

It's just an excuse for the pro-Lyon types. I wish we could call out stuff that's obvious. The game style is horrendous and it ain't because of kids, because we were a totally different side earlier in the year with many of our key players out.

Seems obvious that teams have just found us out and we don't currently have the ability to adapt.

We don't get to go back and try to rationalise the loss as we were 'building for the future' while our opposition - who just sacked their coach and whose finals chances were much slimmer - were playing for the now. That's bullshit. We didn't turn up and have f*cked our our very good finals chances because of it.
I don't need to rationalize the loss since l didn't expect to win in the first place. My process had already taken place in knowing the team is a shit sandwich who had spent all their chips already.
We'll be lucky to win another game this year so stop torturing yourself.

My son is nearly 18 and hates footy even though he goes with me to games these days. He leaves most weeks angry and frustrated. He was too young to remember when we were any good and only knows the humiliation of following a struggling club. It feels like child services should have been called on me for putting him through it sometimes. I know it is meant to build character and all that but it would be nice if there was some reward for the delayed gratification.

I have had three great seasons in my lifetime following the Saints. 1997, 2009 and 2010 with the build up under GT nearly better than all of those. The rest has pretty much been pain. You have to question your life choices sometimes but I'm still here talking about it so * knows what's wrong with me. There is a thesis waiting to be written about the psychology of Saints supporters. Perhaps success would * with our sense of identity.

I take my three sons who enjoy it but they've known little else than the current predicament (born 2011, 2013 & 2015). I was 11 when St Kilda first made the finals in my lifetime, although I didn't go in 1991 or 1992. 1997 Prelim remains my favourite day/night at the footy.

But the finals feeling from 2008-2010 was something else. I just want to share it with them - a big crowd, real stakes, great standard of footy. The closest they have come is probably Round 3 this year.

It's just an excuse for the pro-Lyon types. I wish we could call out stuff that's obvious. The game style is horrendous and it ain't because of kids, because we were a totally different side earlier in the year with many of our key players out.

Seems obvious that teams have just found us out and we don't currently have the ability to adapt.
The game style is identical to that earlier in the season.

The issue is that we have completely fallen away with our inside 50 quality. There for scoring less. Which means the ball stays in live play longer and we are conceding more.

Better quality I50 entry = more scores for = less scores against = winning more games of football.

But we are trying to achieve that goal with children who are tiring. With a lack of senior bodies available to come in and support and next to no senior KPP available

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back