Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

what do you call Pou, Owens and Nas?

Do they get you up out of your seat? They are potential and in Nas's case a very very good player but none are getting my heart rate up through acts of sheer brilliance or freak shots on goal that sail through against the odds. Owens can do it but he's been pretty quiet lately.

Do they get you up out of your seat? They are potential and in Nas's case a very very good player but none are getting my heart rate up through acts of sheer brilliance or freak shots on goal that sail through against the odds. Owens can do it but he's been pretty quiet lately.
Owens has a few times already

Owens- Pou and NAS with 50 games under their belt will have Marvel rocking

Well you'll just have to wait for Mr Keeler to complete his apprenticeship won't you Ansty Boy ;)

Well you'll just have to wait for Mr Keeler to complete his apprenticeship won't you Ansty Boy ;)

You wouldn't want to be antsy following the Saints. Patience is drummed into us.

I don't care about that, if we boringly consistently win the tap, and boringly consistently run off with the ball, and predictably kick it to a key forward who just slots it every time without any fanfare or tension....I'm bloody happy.

I might rate King waaaaay too high but to me it really starts with him after our midfield.

Our midfield is still the biggest concern. What do we do going into 2024? I know that it can't be Crouch, Steele and Ross again.

Doe POu, Owen and Nas get me out of my seat. Yes absolutely, as does King. As will Keeler if he ever gets a game.

We are a depressing watch but we were under Ratts too. We are a very agricultural list with no excitement machines on our list. I was always keen to get Rankine types to throw a bit of chilli on our over cooked white rice playing list. We are beige, vanilla, plain, meat and potatoes etc. If you haven't got anyone to generate energy and momentum you have to work hard and in unison. We have lost the unison at the moment.
Owens, Higgins, Pou and Clark can be those players for us.

We just dont play a style that encourages anything flashy or exciting to happen.

It's awful to watch. And it's not just because we are losing, our recent wins have been poor spectacles too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an excuse because after the great start we had to the year we started getting players back into the side. We were much more healthier at 8-3, and only need 5 wins from 12 to guarantee finals. Kids tiring is not the reason we are where we are. I just don't understand how you can put 10 weeks of shithouse performances down to players tiring.

You are backing up what I'm saying mate. I think you probably agree and maybe too stubborn to pin it on piss poor coaching. If we win the ball and see nothing but giants then you'd think we probably should try and avoid kicking it in their direction or to a position that they can win possession from (in the air). Oppo KPD's have career days on us, we learn nothing.

If we had any tactical nous we should try and play like Richmond did, utilising their dangerous small forwards to crumb and rove ground balls instead of what were doing now which is playing like we've got a forward line of McKay and Curnow lol. We've got an incredibly athletic forward line. Caminiti and Owens both great at ground level and Pou Butler Higgins all damaging. We don't make any use of our athleticism forward of the ball.

Why do Campbell and Highmore play? They aren't better players than what we've got now. We are fielding our best side every week and being trounced in the coaches box. Remember it's been 10 weeks of garbage, not just a couple. When we dropped from 6th for conversion to 12th you'd think it'd be alarm bells and probably try and do something different but nope we are now bottom four in that area. Things have to change.
I don’t agree with you at all.

Against GC we tried to play different. We tried to play quick and break the line into an open forward line. We just turned it over and over and fumbled etc.

That’s on players. Not coaching.

Melbourne and Brisbane - same story. Both those games we had chances to make it a real contest early in the 4th. Didn’t take them.

You look absolutely silly with your comments. Because it’s absolutely covered in bias that It’s a coaching issue - because you believe this list SHOULD BE PLAYING FINALS.

we don’t have the personnel on the park to win games right now. Infact in the last 6 weeks we have gone 2-4. Id argue the 2 wins are the only games whereby we had the better talent on the park. The 4 losses we haven’t been close enough to match the talents of those sides.

Against GC we tried to play different. We tried to play quick and break the line into an open forward line. We just turned it over and over and fumbled etc.

Melbourne and Brisbane - same story. Both those games we had chances to make it a real contest early in the 4th. Didn’t take them.

You look absolutely silly with your comments. Because it’s absolutely covered in bias that It’s a coaching issue - because you believe this list SHOULD BE PLAYING FINALS.

we don’t have the personnel on the park to win games right now. Infact in the last 6 weeks we have gone 2-4. Id argue the 2 wins are the only games whereby we had the better talent on the park. The 4 losses we haven’t been close enough to match the talents of those sides.
I don't agree with you at all either but that's okay, clearly you think the coaching is not an issue whereas I believe it's both and that the coaches need to own some of what has happened this year. It doesn't seem like you believe they share the responsibility which is odd. You want to say that I'm biased that it's a coaching issue, that's wrong but if it's the case then you are doing the exact same thing but blaming the list instead haha

Of course we should be playing finals, we missed by a game last year, have an apparently better coaching staff, and had a fit and healthy list as we sat 8-3 with 5 games left to win from the remaining 12 to make finals. Not to mention the competition is worse this year than it was last year, and we have an easier fixture this year than we did last year. At the midway point everything was in our favour to win less than half our remaining games to make finals.

I don't know why you are seemingly excusing 10 weeks of awful football. Players being tired is not a valid excuse I'm sorry. We have two first year players getting regular games, hardly a reason to capitulate over 10 weeks. We have played our best available side all year. We can't kick a score, we are serving up dross going inside 50.

Do I look silly? How can you say we tried to play different in so and so games but then earlier in the day you're telling me the gameplan is identical to what it was earlier in the year lol. It looks to me like you're just looking for convenient excuses to absolve Ross and the coaches of any responsibility. I know you like the guy but some objectivity would be nice.

We've been shit, players and coaches alike. Let's own that. We need to get better. Everyone needs to get better.

I don't agree with you at all either but that's okay, clearly you think the coaching is not an issue whereas I believe it's both and that the coaches need to own some of what has happened this year. It doesn't seem like you believe they share the responsibility which is odd. You want to say that I'm biased that it's a coaching issue, that's wrong but if it's the case then you are doing the exact same thing but blaming the list instead haha

Of course we should be playing finals, we missed by a game last year, have an apparently better coaching staff, and had a fit and healthy list as we sat 8-3 with 5 games left to win from the remaining 12 to make finals. Not to mention the competition is worse this year than it was last year, and we have an easier fixture this year than we did last year. At the midway point everything was in our favour to win less than half our remaining games to make finals.

I don't know why you are seemingly excusing 10 weeks of awful football. Players being tired is not a valid excuse I'm sorry. We have played our best available side all year. We can't kick a score, we are serving up dross going inside 50.

Do I look silly? How can you say we tried to play different in so and so games but then earlier in the day you're telling me the gameplan is identical to what it was earlier in the year lol. It looks to me like you're just looking for convenient excuses to absolve Ross and the coaches of any responsibility. I know you like the guy but some objectivity would be nice.

We've been s**t, players and coaches alike. Let's own that. We need to get better. Everyone needs to get better.
The game plan is to stop free flowing movement when we don’t have the ball. Allow time to set up down the line. Keep sides from going corridor unless they opt to risk the kick.

Win it back high. Transition.

Go quick to overlapping players and run hard.

The issue we have is now 2 fold. We aren’t getting any back for buck on our transition kick to allow us to link play forward of the centre.

And when we do get forward we are butchering the final kick every other chance.

Both issues lead directly to turnover. Transition when we are out of position and thus a bigger score against.

On Saturday we tried to run the ball from much further than normal as we don’t have any talls bar Caminiti. We fumbled it like a bar of soap.

The only thing I really give Ross any credit for is we are more compact than last year. We aren't getting completely blown out like we did under Ratts and Richo. There's a downside to that, in that we can't score ourselves, but at least we are in games - as dire as it is to watch

The game plan is to stop free flowing movement when we don’t have the ball. Allow time to set up down the line. Keep sides from going corridor unless they opt to risk the kick.

Win it back high. Transition.

Go quick to overlapping players and run hard.

The issue we have is now 2 fold. We aren’t getting any back for buck on our transition kick to allow us to link play forward of the centre.

And when we do get forward we are butchering the final kick every other chance.

Both issues lead directly to turnover. Transition when we are out of position and thus a bigger score against.

On Saturday we tried to run the ball from much further than normal as we don’t have any talls bar Caminiti. We fumbled it like a bar of soap.
I don't disagree with you that there's serious issues with the list. Like I said IMO the current crop are good enough to make the bottom half.of the eight, winning a final would be well beyond expectation. The comp is shit after the top 3 sides.

I want us to be performing to our level and at the moment we aren't doing that. We aren't good enough to make top 4 or win a flag with this list, so my expectations aren't that far fetched. We need to keep developing the list of course, but for what we've got and the platform we gave ourselves at the bye, we simply must make it from here. Finals footy for these kids is invaluable.

I just don't understand why the directive from the coaches is to kick it inside 50 high and long when we don't have dominant key forwards to pluck it out of the air. What we do have is dangerous smalls, why can't we get it at their feet more often. Play to our strengths. We aren't doing any of that, we're just seemingly banging our heads against a brick wall every week.

I don't disagree with you that there's serious issues with the list. Like I said IMO the current crop are good enough to make the bottom half.of the eight, winning a final would be well beyond expectation. The comp is s**t after the top 3 sides.

I want us to be performing to our level and at the moment we aren't doing that. We aren't good enough to make top 4 or win a flag with this list, so my expectations aren't that far fetched. We need to keep developing the list of course, but for what we've got and the platform we gave ourselves at the bye, we simply must make it from here. Finals footy for these kids is invaluable.

I just don't understand why the directive from the coaches is to kick it inside 50 high and long when we don't have dominant key forwards to pluck it out of the air. What we do have is dangerous smalls, why can't we get it at their feet more often. Play to our strengths. We aren't doing any of that, we're just seemingly banging our heads against a brick wall every week.
The directive isn’t that from the coaches.

Not once have I been too training and that’s been the directive.

That is a by product of poorly talented footballers ****ing up. A lack of your personnel playing and a really ****ing inexperienced forward line playing together - who aren’t physically or mentally ready to lead the line for a full year.

Not for nothing but your comments look far more biased that it’s absolutely not the coaching, at least George is noting it’s probably both.

Either way, and whether you agree with it or not, the coach is held responsible for poor results regardless of why they are poor. Ross is absolutely gonna be given the time, as he should and as makes sense but I can’t really understand how the last month and a bit still looks like progress to anyone, it’s been ****ing deplorable.

Not for nothing but your comments look far more biased that it’s absolutely not the coaching, at least George is noting it’s probably both.

Either way, and whether you agree with it or not, the coach is held responsible for poor results regardless of why they are poor. Ross is absolutely gonna be given the time, as he should and as makes sense but I can’t really understand how the last month and a bit still looks like progress to anyone, it’s been ******* deplorable.
I haven’t once said the last month was onfield progress.

But it is progress with the games into kids.

Which I have pointed out over and over and over again in this thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back