Prediction Round 18, 2024: Changes vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how i feel about the Darling axing tbh, despite how deserving/satisfying it might be.

Was hoping we'd get him to 300 this year and then cut him loose, despite his contract for 2025. That to me makes more sense.

Unfortunately with the axing i'm inclined to think he's going to be sticking around to hit his milestone next year instead now, which to me is the greater of the 2 evils.

Be funny being a WAFL player this weekend for West Perth (Darlings OG club) and lining up on the almost 300 AFL gamer who is 2nd for all time goals in West Coast history. Biiiiig job for household names Riley Sprigg and Tyson Multin boiz.

I was slightly torn for the same reasons.

Sure, if he played the year out his 300th would be in Geelong but if we then paid him out it's clear air for the other kpf.

Could be do a Kornes next year and pull the pin before the mid season draft instead?

Watched the first half of Schofield'a press conference. I feel he really emphasised that he'll pick players based on WAFL form and with attributes he favours. Seemed to suggest that Simmo didn't reward WAFL form as much as he perhaps should have, and that he also rated certain attributes differently to Schofield. Will be an interesting couple of months!

Watched the first half of Schofield'a press conference. I feel he really emphasised that he'll pick players based on WAFL form and with attributes he favours. Seemed to suggest that Simmo didn't reward WAFL form as much as he perhaps should have, and that he also rated certain attributes differently to Schofield. Will be an interesting couple of months!
This is music to my ears. I hope he absolutely crushes it for the next 7 games.

For mine it depends on how he is used going forward. If he's mostly WAFL and used to educate the kids coming through while playing WAFL like gaff and gets the odd game to get him to 300 then i'm fine with him running to the end of his contract.

Yep it'll be great for Archer to play alongside Darling and hopefully learn a few tricks instead of trying to lead a spud forward line on his own as a skinny teenager.

Fair enough. From memory we just haven't done that a great deal in our history unless they're either a spud (Legdon) or injured (Naitanui).

Yeah you're not wrong. I just figured it was a more of possibility now with an evident changing of the guard going on at West Coast at the moment. Gaff will be gone, Simpson is gone, everyone still saying we still haven't bottomed out properly and now Darling has just been axed despite it not being close to his worst performance.

Thought maybe there might be a bit of ruthless list management happening to round out 2024. Wheel starting to turn.

Either way i don't think it's very likely now, i'm hoping exactly what Harry is suggesting below happens. Darling gets to 300 before the mid year draft in 2025 and retires.

I was slightly torn for the same reasons.

Sure, if he played the year out his 300th would be in Geelong but if we then paid him out it's clear air for the other kpf.

Could be do a Kornes next year and pull the pin before the mid season draft instead?

If Chesser is out Ledwards is surely straight back into playing that gimp role now.

Wouldn't be expecting more than 12 touches from him with minimal involvement. Not doubt he's #doinghisrole though.

Sooner that gimp wing role goes in the bin and we can move on from having 2 net negative wing roles the better.

Personally if we're only getting 8-15 odd touches from our wings, at best, i'd prefer it was from Maric. At least he can do something with the football. Would be handy having those footskills both forward of centre and out of defense.
Better off having an extra behind the stoppage, hawks style
Picking LEdwards is terrible
Horrible choice. Better of
I'm not sure how i feel about the Darling axing tbh, despite how deserving/satisfying it might be.

Was hoping we'd get him to 300 this year and then cut him loose, despite his contract for 2025. That to me makes more sense.

Unfortunately with the axing i'm inclined to think he's going to be sticking around to hit his milestone next year instead now, which to me is the greater of the 2 evils.

Be funny being a WAFL player this weekend for West Perth (Darlings OG club) and lining up on the almost 300 AFL gamer who is 2nd for all time goals in West Coast history. Biiiiig job for household names Riley Sprigg and Tyson Multin boiz.
People have a short memory and forget how much of a beast he was. Mind you he was competing with the highest goal kicker for the club at the same time... he would be number one had he not be shoulder to shoulder with kennedy all his career...
our supporters suck sometimes. In search of greatness they chuck out any form of respect

If the club don’t intend giving contracts to Witho, Rotham and JJ how can they justify playing them in the firsts? Surely they’ve had enough of a look at them to know by now?

Besides they could really help out in the ressies - while creating spaces for auditions.

Win:win

People have a short memory and forget how much of a beast he was. Mind you he was competing with the highest goal kicker for the club at the same time... he would be number one had he not be shoulder to shoulder with kennedy all his career...
our supporters suck sometimes. In search of greatness they chuck out any form of respect

Hey man i've been a Darling fan for years, but when your times up your times up.

Holding onto older players in average form for too long out of sentimentality in preference of younger alternatives is part of why our clubs in this mess in the first place. Everyone knows it, plenty of media mouthpieces have also now said it.

Darling is a club great. No doubt about it. Potential AFL hall of famer even. But when the clubs in the states it's in at the moment after just sacking it's long term coach, "letting players go out on their own terms" shouldn't come into it.

Agree with this. Darling has been unbelievably good punching above his size as KPF for so long. Respect, I love him.
Simmo gone on for too long with Family, Friends, Flags , hence the loyalty to the older campaigners,
aka credit crew..
Incredible loyalty, which I understand, but the coach needs to step away from that.
Love Simmo, very sad when it was announced. Right thing for the club, but hoped early season somehow things had changed.
People will lament list management, but I feel the coach is ultimately responsible for that.

Darling's still doing some things well, but he really needs to get involved in attack.

I still hope older players can go to the WAFL with a good attitude and work on things, he might get a recall one day and I'd like for it to be due to good form (kicking goals basically).

A lot of the forward line setup is still to be sorted out as it's linked to how we run the rucks and the team balance.

Darling's still doing some things well, but he really needs to get involved in attack.

I still hope older players can go to the WAFL with a good attitude and work on things, he might get a recall one day and I'd like for it to be due to good form (kicking goals basically).

A lot of the forward line setup is still to be sorted out as it's linked to how we run the rucks and the team balance.
Look at Gunston, with Hawks and Brisbane, similar situation, he managed to step up his game and has earned more games, kicked plenty against last year I recall. Darling could still have an impact in some form this and next season, beyond that he probably needs to retire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the club don’t intend giving contracts to Witho, Rotham and JJ how can they justify playing them in the firsts? Surely they’ve had enough of a look at them to know by now?

Besides they could really help out in the ressies - while creating spaces for auditions.

Maybe they’re undecided on a few out of contract players and giving them a chance to fight for a new contract?

Or maybe they do intend to give some of them (eg Witherden) an extension?

Darlings form has been fine this year. It’s just a position we are stacked in. Allen, waterman and JWill should all be ahead.

Darlings form has been fine this year. It’s just a position we are stacked in. Allen, waterman and JWill should all be ahead.
It's been acceptable, sometimes even good, but he can do more offensively. I am a defender of Darling in general.

Some people love to trash him in games when we have no supply and when we do it all goes through Waterman for obvious reasons.

That's become even more of an issue with Allen coming back, but I think he could improve his marking and not resign himself to being the third tall all of the time.

We never really see him getting in Waterman's or Allen's way which is a credit to him.

Again though, hard to judge the whole setup with a misfiring midfield.

Fair enough. From memory we just haven't done that a great deal in our history unless they're either a spud (Legdon) or injured (Naitanui).
Was interesting on 6pr last night will Schofield was talking about the time Tyson stemglien was contracted for another year but told his services were no longer required and stemglien did a mutual deal and walked away with his full year pay and went on holiday for a year.

That would be nice.

Better off having an extra behind the stoppage, hawks style

Horrible choice. Better of

"Horrible choice. Better of"

What drugs you taking?

Your last comment pisses me off no end.
It's the usual go to when people are pointing out a players deficiencies. This comment along with you're not a real supporter if you say anything negative.

Ask yourself this...do you really think the coaches never criticise the players and point out their deficiencies or mistakes? Simpson said on Thursday he doesn't do it in public but he does do it in private
Omg how disrespectful.

Fmd it's pathetic, people are passionate about their club and when they talk negatively about a player it comes out of that passion ffs....otherwise they wouldn't give 2 flying ****s of a willy wag tail and not comment at all about anything to do with their team.

You may need to go to a Facebook group where the grandma's are all fluffy and spice and all things nice about the players I think.

No one else to play in those positions although I would like to see Jordan Baker have a chance to show whether he might be able to make the grade.
I would also like to see Coby Burgiel despite the fact that he hasn’t been pressing his case in the twos and seems to have checked out. Not sure what has happened to him, relatively high draft pick too.

No one else to play in those positions although I would like to see Jordan Baker have a chance to show whether he might be able to make the grade.
I would also like to see Coby Burgiel despite the fact that he hasn’t been pressing his case in the twos and seems to have checked out. Not sure what has happened to him, relatively high draft pick too.
Burgiel has had surgery on both his hamstrings right? At minimum surgery on one and a big injury to the other. Going to take him awhile to rebuild.

Baker has been in good form all year.

Both of them should be ahead of LEdwards.

"Horrible choice. Better of"

What drugs you taking?

Your last comment pisses me off no end.
It's the usual go to when people are pointing out a players deficiencies. This comment along with you're not a real supporter if you say anything negative.

Ask yourself this...do you really think the coaches never criticise the players and point out their deficiencies or mistakes? Simpson said on Thursday he doesn't do it in public but he does do it in private
Omg how disrespectful.

Fmd it's pathetic, people are passionate about their club and when they talk negatively about a player it comes out of that passion ffs....otherwise they wouldn't give 2 flying ****s of a willy wag tail and not comment at all about anything to do with their team.

You may need to go to a Facebook group where the grandma's are all fluffy and spice and all things nice about the players I think.
Anyone that hasn't been exposed to afl.

Ghee someone's booster is wearing off, better book yourself an appointment mate, might be feeling a bit sick?

I was clearly stating the more misdirected personal insults of the player rather than constructive criticism.

Anyone that hasn't been exposed to afl.

Ghee someone's booster is wearing off, better book yourself an appointment mate, might be feeling a bit sick?

I was clearly stating the more misdirected personal insults of the player rather than constructive criticism.
So what comments in the post you quotes were personal insults?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back