Preview Round 18, 2024 : Hawks v Dockers, 1:45pm Sat 13th July, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Sam Mitchell's wanting players to have positional flexibility, is it worth finding a spot for Wardy who's been knocking on the door pretty hard the last month. An in for Shammy as a back cycling with CJ on the wing?

If Sam Mitchell's wanting players to have positional flexibility, is it worth finding a spot for Wardy who's been knocking on the door pretty hard the last month. An in for Shammy as a back cycling with CJ on the wing?

I think he’s been playing purely on ball at VFL from what I’ve heard?

I know there’s not a lot of scope for bringing a mid in for us at the moment but it’d seem weird to throw him back into a position he’s done 0 training for just for the sake of having him in. Setting him up to fail a little bit but it’s tough because his form is getting very close to warranting selection

Club needs to decide whether it is a chance of making finals. Is this the goal or does it use the remainder of the season to take a good look at some players by giving them a run. Season end is coming around pretty quickly and my preference is for the second option so would like to see some players given an opportunity. This would mean that neither Gunston nor Breust would play and Wingard will not be playing AFL this season at least. Not sure what happens to any of them for 2025. I'm afraid the showing against Geelong requires a serious think about these sorts of things. Would not surprise if there are one or two other regular players dropped for the game.
After one loss? I am not sure we are pivoting just yet if at all the goal is to get as far as we can by the end of the year. I think that will still be the goal. The days of young players getting a go are over (Sam Mitchell / Rob McCartney). We will play out the season with players getting a go on form and what is best for the side to continue winning.

After one loss? I am not sure we are pivoting just yet if at all the goal is to get as far as we can by the end of the year. I think that will still be the goal. The days of young players getting a go are over (Sam Mitchell / Rob McCartney). We will play out the season with players getting a go on form and what is best for the side to continue winning.

Sure. But that one game brought out all the ghosts of the first half of the season which, IMO, suggests this team is not near playing finals and decisions need to be made about the list as we approach the end of the season. If I am wrong, good. But I'd be looking at giving some players a good run at it. Players like Ward, Maginness, Hustwaite.

Sure. But that one game brought out all the ghosts of the first half of the season which, IMO, suggests this team is not near playing finals and decisions need to be made about the list as we approach the end of the season. If I am wrong, good. But I'd be looking at giving some players a good run at it. Players like Ward, Maginness, Hustwaite.
I reckon we play for finals until it's mathematically impossible.

Nahh that's knee jerk mate after one game given, we have been up for 2 months. We will follow the plan. Which is to try and keep winning.

I think he’s been playing purely on ball at VFL from what I’ve heard?

I know there’s not a lot of scope for bringing a mid in for us at the moment but it’d seem weird to throw him back into a position he’s done 0 training for just for the sake of having him in. Setting him up to fail a little bit but it’s tough because his form is getting very close to warranting selection
Yeah fair. Was just thinking that all good mids can defend too, but he wouldn't know the system exactly. Maybes pushing CJ back then? Just not convinced on Shammy.

I reckon we play for finals until it's mathematically impossible.
Agreed. One of the points made by several players and Sam was the fact that our games have an added edge when our games mean something. If nothing else it teaches us how to adapt to pressure and stress and the burden of expectations.

It was a poor loss but not nearly as bleak as you make out. Geelong were better equipped for how badly we would play on their ground and outwitted us. Our gameplan won't come unstuck due to ground dimensions for the remainder of the year. I am disappointed that given we had ample time to come up with a plan to cater for the Kardinia dimensions but didn't - but I don't think that erases everything we did in the 2 months prior.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club needs to decide whether it is a chance of making finals. Is this the goal or does it use the remainder of the season to take a good look at some players by giving them a run. Season end is coming around pretty quickly and my preference is for the second option so would like to see some players given an opportunity. This would mean that neither Gunston nor Breust would play and Wingard will not be playing AFL this season at least. Not sure what happens to any of them for 2025. I'm afraid the showing against Geelong requires a serious think about these sorts of things. Would not surprise if there are one or two other regular players dropped for the game.

At this stage we’re still a chance of making finals. Depend on the outcome of the next 3-4 games that may change.

We’ve got this far with no Lewis for most of the year.

A loss to the cats is no disgrace especially at home. Another learning opportunity.

I do not think we can have a forward Line with Bruest and Gunston playing at the same time.

Gunston is producing more goals I feel ( unchecked )

Still happy to have a kid debut if one has earned it.

Asking for a friend, does Freo have that half back rebounding flanker that Finn could play on? Come for Bruest.
Definitely would be Clark.

Does that include old players as well?

Does that include old players as well?
Of course it does. The old players are playing to add experience to teach. They have added value as well in their games by default so far. Gunners was dropped early and came back in the side to help dear and he has a role to play. Breust has been sub most games and kicked goals. His first full game where we got dominated.

Dear for Lewis
Sicily or Serong for S.Mitchell
Ramsden for Gunston
Ginnivan or Ward for Morrison

Breust as the sub. Jackson could do some serious damage against Nash as the second ruck that is why I would bring in Ramsden. Chol to play deeper.

Freo are short on key defenders hopefully we can stretch them down back.

Of course it does. The old players are playing to add experience to teach. They have added value as well in their games by default so far. Gunners was dropped early and came back in the side to help dear and he has a role to play. Breust has been sub most games and kicked goals. His first full game where we got dominated.
On form I don't understand how we played them both in the starting line up.

On form I don't understand how we played them both in the starting line up.
Gunston round 16 - 16 posessions 1.1 prior to that he had some better games goal wise.
Breust: round 14 - 6 possesions 1.1 coming off the bench as a sub. He was sub every game before that for 6 weeks

This is beside the fact that they provide experience and general guidance on field from the bench and when they are playing. I am not sure what you expect?

Gunston round 16 - 16 posessions 1.1 prior to that he had some better games goal wise.
Breust: round 14 - 6 possesions 1.1 coming off the bench as a sub. He was sub every game before that for 6 weeks

This is beside the fact that they provide experience and general guidance on field from the bench and when they are playing. I am not sure what you expect?
Reckon we can only play 2 of Gunner/ Breust/ Chad in any given side. With 1 of the 2 playing sub. Moving fwd.

Of the 3, I believe Chad is moving the best, based on recent VFL viewing.

I believe Breust will retire.

Does Gunner get another year due to Lewis ACL?
Does Chad get another year with Breust retiring?

A lot to play out.

Not disagreeing on the guidance we get but having them both starting is a liability cause we can only sub off one of them.

Not disagreeing on the guidance we get but having them both starting is a liability cause we can only sub off one of them.
That is how it worked out this game. However gunners hasn't been subbed every game he has played. Objectively we had to give a try. It may or may not be something we keep doing depending on the form of the two individuals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back