Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s so many occasions during the game where he just gives up on the play and walks around with arms out stretched lol.

There was one play where he deadset had them out for 5 seconds while the ball pinged about.

No doubt a talent who literally could be anything

But bloody hell, he carries on like an arrogant self entitled sook any time an umpire has the temerity to pay a free kick against him.

He's a first year player with the attitude of a five year veteran.

He's apparently treated like a God in the WA media

If I were coaching him I'd, be telling him to pull his head in, concentrate on his game and stop the whingeing.

He could have be pinged for dissent three or four times today

Got scary at the game early in the 3rd or 4th when the Eagles chant started up and they got a run on, a 4th gamer missed a shot at goal, we then managed to keep a couple of goal lead.

Reid is a freak. There was one moment where someone tackled him front on rugby style and after that it appeared he didn’t try the don’t argue again. Wonder if he we specifically tried to plan for that?

What annoys me is he doesn't offer any solutions when he goes on his rants about inconsistency. Nobody knows what to do...blah, blah, blah.
Thats his point though. The inconsistency is confusing us all. How can you offer solutions if no one knows what is going on with the tribunal decisions . Then everyone appeals and some get changed and others dont. Thats his point that we have no idea what is going to happen with some of these tackles and concussion. I have no idea what will happen with Charlies tackle. I would normally think he doesnt have a case to answer but in this day and age i have no idea what will happen if given a week then we appeal. Who knows.

But bloody hell, he carries on like an arrogant self entitled sook any time an umpire has the temerity to pay a free kick against him.

If I were coaching him I'd, be telling him to pull his head in, concentrate on his game and stop the whingeing.

Gotta be honest, 22 other weeks of the year and I'd enjoy it. I love arrogant young players who can actually back it up - give me that any day than boring players who pretend to be schoolboys but do as much moaning and whinging as any other player.

Pendles a classic case, guy is a gun but he acts like he's an additional umpire out there.

Match Report on the AFL website, written by Nathan Schmook claims that, “The team was without co-captain Liam Duggan for three quarters after the midfielder suffered concussion in a dangerous tackle from Lion’s forward Charlie Cameron.”

Dangerous tackle? No free kick paid. Watching the vision, Cameron has hold of Duggan, who then pulls Cameron to the ground. Duggan whacks his head, but there is no way that Cameron’s tackle could be characterised as “dangerous”.

Last edited:
Look we'd loved that to have been a more convincing win, but I thought we were super mature. WCE's effort was absolutely through the roof! Regardless of ladder position and coach situation, they play well at home and do have good young talent.

I thought we rode out the momentum well and never really liked like we couldn't lift if required. Modern footy is such that all teams will have strong passages. Yes we can get cut up with overlap pace at times but it's about how you play over 120 minutes.

Midfield was elite, my gosh Neale is so fun to watch ATM, he's added such flair to his game. Loved Rayner's contributions; Fletcher, Brain and Lohman showed lots for young players. Joyce was more than serviceable. Allen did get on top in the last; but Andrews was great up to then.

There's still growth in this team. Growth that I hope we can make at the right time of the year. Really looking forward to seeing how we go next week.

Saw the game a little differently to some.

They played with a lot of heart minus the skill errors they've had most of the year but we always had control and showed maturity and discipline when the game was on the line that was encouraging.

As for the umps the Harris one was a howler but we got a couple we wouldn't normally get and since I didn't hurl my chardonnay at the TV screen I must've thought the umps were fine.

I think we've figured out how to use Rayner and he's responding well to the role.

Joyce had zero cough ups which is 5 less than last week so fingers crossed with this good effort under his belt he continues to hold down the spot.

Now that Neale is completely injury free I take my hat off to his courage in playing through physical issues well enough and then proving that when 100% he's the best ,most consistent player in the comp.

Logan needs a spell , he's done exceptionally well considering his prep. for AFL footy. Zorks could use a little time off as well which he probably won't get. Just lately struggles a bit early and then works into the game via his footy smarts once the others get a bit tired.

Fletcher is going to be some sort of player with another pre season under his belt. Very high footy IQ. Likewise Wilmot who is another level up.

Very pleased with how we're going . We'll serve it up to the Swans for sure.

A great win given the circumstances. Liked that we kept backing our game in late when their surge came.
If it wasn’t obvious already, Payne has become integral to our chances. We look a far better side when he is in and playing well. His absence today was noticeable.

Whilst I don't disagree (a fit and firing Payne is a gun), I thought Joyce was pretty solid today.

Who are you dropping?

Match Report on the AFL website, written by Nathan Schmook claims that, “The team was without co-captain Liam Duggan for three quarters after the midfielder suffered concussion in a dangerous tackle from Lion s' forward Charlie Cameron.”

Dangerous tackle? No free kick paid. Watching the vision, Cameron has hold of Duggan, who then pulls Cameron to the ground. Duggan whacks his head, but there is no way that Cameron’s tackle could be characterised as “dangerous”.
They are in 'clicks' heaven. Charlie gets off and they can joke about good bloke discount. He gets suspended and they can say they predicted this.

I do wonder whether he could screw up his career being over there. The hype is all too much for someone his age.

Who? I would only list Bailey, McKenna & Charlie. Charlie was well beaten today, but still kicked 2 goals. If Bailey kicked (or passed off) the goal at the end of the 2nd his game wouldn’t have looked so bad.

Otherwise the team is looking pretty good. Fingers crossed we get Starce back next week.

Yes, those three.

Additionally we have some role players who are struggling, the 3rd tall role which Morris plays is important, he seems to be running out of juice. Whilst Joyce doesn’t cut it at the pointy end. That’s 5 of the 23 who played today….haven’t included Brain as I expect he will make way for Starcevich.

Don't mind Derwayne's Harris "Thou shall not pass" Andrews.

Bailey is becoming the weak link. Bruce and Kai have gone past him.

Brain is an AFL footballer. fletch is not bad either.

Did what we had to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Match Report on the AFL website, written by Nathan Schmook claims that, “The team was without co-captain Liam Duggan for three quarters after the midfielder suffered concussion in a dangerous tackle from Lion s' forward Charlie Cameron.”

Charlie not being penalised for a dangerous tackle doesn't get him off though. Sicily's tackle on Hugh last year ended up in a HTB free kick and he got multiple weeks off.

Trying to be objective, I'd be surprised if Charlie didn't get cited but genuinely I can't understand how it would be a suspension. There is no dumping motion, no rotation - and I agree that Duggan is the one pulling him to ground to try break the tackle.

But even if you say Charlie did exert force, the whistle hadn't been blown, he just drives him forward. That has never been seen as a 'dangerous' action - it is just unfortunate that Duggan is knocked out.

And then he goes on to suggest that he could be sent straight to the tribunal and get 3 or 4 weeks. Absolutely disgraceful article.

I enjoyed that. Thought we'd win by more, probably should have. I don't think we were ever in any real danger of losing that. Found a way to bite back every time. I didn't think the Eagles spirit and pressure would last 4qtrs but it did. Kudos to them. Yeo and the kid were very good. If they get a cpl more quality mids to help them out, they will improve quick.

Berry was big early, tackled everything everywhere. Feeding off the ball quick and efficient. Big O I thought won the ruck overall. He's had a huge month or so, and been the lone ruck most of the season. If he's looking tired, I think maybe he is. Brain was good. He's definitely made the elevation to depth from rookie. I thought Joyce was solid. Did his job admirably. I didn't notice any big costly errors. A few kicks under pressure turned over, but a lot players did too. Better games from the whipped 4, Bailey, McKenna, Charlie and Rayner. Some reaching strong performances. Ashcroft taking a bit of time to find form and fit in and Morris looking like he needs a freshen up. Bombing long to packs and 2 on 1's far too often, again. Neale, Dunkley, Andrews, Zorko, Clugg, leading by example.

Winning ugly but confidently, if that makes sense. Like we're going to speculate, take risks, make errors but still be able to knuckle in and bite back when needed. I'm going to enjoy a good away win against a team that really dug in, the fact we have no injuries, and the position we've climbed to, before contemplating Sydney. Just for a little while.

Charlie not being penalised for a dangerous tackle doesn't get him off though. Sicily's tackle on Hugh last year ended up in a HTB free kick and he got multiple weeks off.

Trying to be objective, I'd be surprised if Charlie didn't get cited but genuinely I can't understand how it would be a suspension. There is no dumping motion, no rotation - and I agree that Duggan is the one pulling him to ground to try break the tackle.

But even if you say Charlie did exert force, the whistle hadn't been blown, he just drives him forward. That has never been seen as a 'dangerous' action - it is just unfortunate that Duggan is knocked out.
He didn't hit his head that hard either. I'm a bit worried about Duggan .He's had another concussion this year hasn't he ?

He drove himself forward trying to break the tackle. Nothing to do with any force or motion by Charlie. Some of the TV experts are surely taking the piss or clueless with their interpretations.

Nonetheless Christian will react and probably overreact.

He didn't hit his head that hard either. I'm a bit worried about Duggan .He's had another concussion this year hasn't he ?

He drove himself forward trying to break the tackle. Nothing to do with any force or motion by Charlie. Some of the TV experts are surely taking the piss or clueless with their interpretations.

Nonetheless Christian will react and probably overreact.

As I've said before, all the afl media can do is report on TRAIDS and MRO Lotto. Most journos don't have a clue about the game.

In the current climate I'd be stunned if Charlie wasn't reported, but I do genuinely think that it would be a departure from previous precendent if the suspension stood. Doesn't mean it won't happen though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back