Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still hopeful on McKenna coming good but he's either carrying something or a bit out of form. Just slower to react to situations than the McKenna of last year.

My opinion is he isn't confident in his body right now. He looked hesitant to accelerate at times tonight. He might have been worried about the turf, terrible ground.

Love Eggfooty, so glad he didn’t quit the YouTube game.

Charlie won’t play next week, AFL will make sure of it. If you somehow get your opponent to get a smack to the head, you’re looking at least a week.

Logan is lucky to still be in the team, think he’s nakkered. Needs some time off.

Saw a couple of posts about O. Didn’t do too bad in this game, WCE made an effort to reduce his influence around the ground.

Rayner played a good game. Will never be a Dusty type mid forward, but he does stuff matchups when he’s in the middle out of the blue. Our Ryan or Ian Hill for a centre bounce or too.

Wilmot got a nice 21 disposal game, not bad.

Brain did well, but needs more size to make those pack crashes/spoils effective.

Ashcroft was unfortunate to be put on our rarely used wing, but needs miles in the knee.

Overall it was a good game, need to be better at team defence if we want to win next week. Swans don’t do well under mass pressure. Do what the Saints did a couple of weeks ago, then we’re in the money.

My opinion is he isn't confident in his body right now. He looked hesitant to accelerate at times tonight. He might have been worried about the turf, terrible ground.
That's it. Had the opportunity to charge in and make a contest or run into it several times and just seemed to second think it.

Likely he's not quite right.

Two ho-hum do-enough-to-get-the-four-points performances in a row. Find out in a week if that's our level or we're saving our best for the big fish. Really liked what Rayner contributed today. Got to find a way to get Bailey and McKenna back in form. Shadeau been a clanger king in the VFL lately, but much improved today. Should'nt happen, but a week off for Chuck may not be the worst thing in the world.

Shadeau a much better aerialist and more accurate kuck.
Oh yeah, still waiting for that story, Tairy Greene .

Good win against a emotional team in foreign turf
Still next game is our measure , swans will be next level. Back line is too loose and forwards have long periods where we don’t score and we waste too many chances. To score goals
Midfield has been fantastic so it’s time to lift the bar boys ! Then we can see just where we sit !

How good was last quarter Kai!!! Another sensational Neale game, a few times I just couldn't actually understand how the ball was in his hands. Still really worry about our tackling abilities, too many people trying to lay a one hander, or just not bothering at all.
West Coast playing their grand final there and the umps trying to give Simmo a fairytale ending.
6 in a row and top 4 I'll take that every day of the week! Big week next week.

For those fretting about our defence, we were missing the following backline players today:-

Gardiner, Coleman, Doedee (ACL's} all season

Payne (foot) prob 6 weeks

Starc (prob back next week)

So a total of five, four of whom are best 22 and Gardiner not far off
We were seriously undermanned and undersized today against WCE's probably best forward setup so we did well t0

Starc back next week so that helps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm liking these zen Fagan press conferences. He is projecting a sense of calmness and acceptance while providing some great insights.

The team is playing with an underlying calmness in controlling these recent games when you strip out the frantic nature of the spectacle.

And then he goes on to suggest that he could be sent straight to the tribunal and get 3 or 4 weeks. Absolutely disgraceful article.
I think thats the problem with the matrix. Its zero or 3+. It probably can't calculate anything else

Got scary at the game early in the 3rd or 4th when the Eagles chant started up and they got a run on, a 4th gamer missed a shot at goal, we then managed to keep a couple of goal lead.

Reid is a freak. There was one moment where someone tackled him front on rugby style and after that it appeared he didn’t try the don’t argue again. Wonder if he we specifically tried to plan for that?

Remember that Richmond game a couple years ago at the Gabba where we clearly specifically planned for stopping Dusty (I think 2021?); and every time he had the ball our boys would tackle him by jumping at him with their arms coming down over the top?

Funny to watch, but it worked perfectly because he couldn’t get the don’t argue up.

Two ho-hum do-enough-to-get-the-four-points performances in a row. Find out in a week if that's our level or we're saving our best for the big fish. Really liked what Rayner contributed today. Got to find a way to get Bailey and McKenna back in form. Shadeau been a clanger king in the VFL lately, but much improved today. Should'nt happen, but a week off for Chuck may not be the worst thing in the world.

Oh yeah, still waiting for that story, Tairy Greene .

That was our MO last year lol, we’d clearly go in against the best teams with great plans drawn up on how to counter them, and implement them very effectively.

Then try to skate by on class for the teams we should just win against.

I think the coaching staff even admitted it at one point lol

Bit of biased reporting from Schmook on afl.com.au 'They looked the better team for most of the quarter in all areas except the stoppages, but the Lions took their chances with back-to-back goals, receiving a gift when Harley Reid drifted innocently into the protected area and sent Cameron close to the goal line.' and 'The team was without co-captain Liam Duggan for three quarters after the midfielder suffered concussion in a dangerous tackle from Lion s' forward Charlie Cameron.'

Next week against Sydney we will have a cracking game. We will find out exactly where we need to improve and have a great chance to consolidate our place in the top four. I reckon our midfield will go head to head with Sydney’s with a tag maybe on Heaney and also make Gulden accountable by dragging him out of his usual position. Stacevic back for MCKenna for me. If Charlie gets rubbed out Robertson takes his place. I reckon Robertsons best position in our team is as a pressure forward as he is prone to skill errors in the midfield. A fabulous win by our boys.

Yeah, look I have no idea. I know the AFL hate the optics around a player getting KO’d when their head hits the ground like that, but you are right it was a text book tackle. I’m not sure how it could be done any differently? Accidents will continue to happen in contact sports no matter how much they change the rules.
A lot of the problem is the hard AFL grounds. His head had a good bounce off the turf, certainly didn't sink in at all.
Well I've heard that NRL pitches are softer, which makes sense. I'mm talking top level.
Although I played on a park with a cricket pitch on the ground and it had a bank on one side to make it level, lol.
It was rock hard as well
Mind you it was pub league.

On the game.
Few more players finding their own form and more involvement.
Rayner comes to mind.
Fletch had an important game for us.
Lockie , already been said , had a blinder when it was required.
Joyce I thought did well early last year , nothing different now he has had two games in, doing his job.
Bailey got back a few times which was great to see otherwise pretty mediochre.
But the same things still concern me .
Too many missed tackels with players stepping around us. Bailey wasn't alone but he had his fair share.
No answer to overlapping run which is a concern.
Which brings us to the wings and work rate running back.
We need to play players who can run back as well as running forward.
Don't like Ashcroft there at all, would much rather Sharp play there.
The other problem I have is Ashcroft just banging it on the boot, don't care who you are we have better options, if we don't then we need to have more avenues, but for mind it is him looking to kick first rather than seek a handball.
I like Brain as well, needs to stay in over McKenna.
Got to be happy for the win, next week I think it might come down to team selection , that could have a big factor on our team defense and the way we cover the oppositions exits.

Bit of biased reporting from Schmook on afl.com.au 'They looked the better team for most of the quarter in all areas except the stoppages, but the Lions took their chances with back-to-back goals, receiving a gift when Harley Reid drifted innocently into the protected area and sent Cameron close to the goal line.' and 'The team was without co-captain Liam Duggan for three quarters after the midfielder suffered concussion in a dangerous tackle from Lion s' forward Charlie Cameron.'
I'm pretty sure these are written by the local guy who basically deals with the home teams week in and out so there's a fair degree of bias generally in the write up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back