Toast Round 18 = Adelaide 86-91 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

There must come a point when the ball is a metre away from the player deemed to be in possession and being deliberately sat on by an opponent when it simply becomes a ball up.
He had it in his possession for less than a second. If Ginnivan is being punished for trying to rort the rules then how is what Taylor Walker did any different?
I agree completely. The one difference being if he dived on the ball, it doesn't then become a matter of how long he had it. I believe our rules currently state that if you dive on it, the onus is then on you to dispose of it. I don't think he did dispose of it, but I think it's a stupid look to see Walker hugging the ball and then getting a free. I think it's either ilegal disposal or tackling without the ball. Now common sense would say it's a ball up. But AFL will continually try and change rules to make a game (that I love watching) better. Even though fans love it.

What burns in my gut is the fact that when any other player does the same thing they pay the free and commentators say nothing. Noble drops into tackles in similar fashion as did a number of players in the games I watched yesterday.

Ginnivan copped two high tackles late and he did not drop his knees. The holding the ball decision was ludicrous. There is no doubt he is being umpired differently because of who he is.
Even more galling then is that to the letter of the law, if the initial contact was high it doesn’t even matter if he did drop his knees.

Just Nathan. The other commentators can’t bring themselves to praise us
This is funny. They said multiple times that Naicos was the best first year player ever (or since judd). They mentioned multiple times that Maynard was a beast and a chance of breaking the all time smothers rule. They spoke constantly of how good Pendles and Sidey were. You guys wants ed on commentary every game or something. laughable.

Huddo is as big a Collingwood hater as any-can’t stand the praise this w***er gets
Noticed Bucks and Hudson having a bit of back and forth throughout the game. Huddo definitely has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to the Pies

It was confirmed at the end of the game when Huddo called Pendles our best ever player, while Buckley's sitting right next to him haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noticed Bucks and Hudson having a bit of back and forth throughout the game. Huddo definitely has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to the Pies

It was confirmed at the end of the game when Huddo called Pendles our best ever player, while Buckley's sitting right next to him haha
Remembered him on radio during the draft after 2010 season-made snide digs at us constantly

Would it kill if we could get one commentary team where you didn’t detect any bias-foxfooty is basically unwatchable (even with Bucks)

Remembered him on radio during the draft after 2010 season-made snide digs at us constantly

Would it kill if we could get one commentary team where you didn’t detect any bias-foxfooty is basically unwatchable (even with Bucks)
I might start muting the tv and putting the radio commentary on. Will just have to pause it a second or two to sync it up

Also how ******* brilliant is Maynard. We lose that without him yesterday, not a doubt in my mind about that.
Tough as anything! I know we have tried to get him home before, but doubt we are any chance now. He looks well ingrained at your club. I see him and a few of your boys are at Penfolds today for Pendle’s 350th.

Ginnivan does an enormous amount without the ball in hand. He pinballs around the forward line putting pressure on opponents. He’s not quick and he rarely catches them, but he does put pressure on the kicker which is helpful to keep the ball in our front half. Doesn’t get a stat for any of it.

That’s why Henry gets dropped and Ginnivan holds his spot. Sure, Henry can take the big marks and kick the set shots. But while Henry only spends 60% TOG and can’t run and chase, Ginnivan is running around the forward line like a blue assed blow fly.

Ginnivan gets up the ground to provide escape options for getting the ball out of defense (Or draws his opponent away from the others). Very smart footballer. If he’s fit I don’t think we can afford to drop him. Let’s put it this way, if he’s rested or omitted he gets replaced by Callum Brown.
He seemed to be on the ball much of the 2nd half and all the last quarter. He may not have got a lot of possessions but he really worked hard to get his hands on the ball or stop the opposition getting it. No way should he be dropped. He is the type of player who could kick a swag of goals next week in conditions that better suit him.

He can be a bit McCreery-like in that he doesn't need a lot of disposals to impact the game.

I think that Johnson is going to keep Henry out of the team. Apart from his goals, he is strong at the contest and has the advantage of height and a good leap. If there is any truth in the rumour that Henry wants to go to Geelong next year, he should remain in the VFL until there is an obvious opening at senior level. The last 2 weeks in the AFL, he gave almost nothing in terms of disposals or work off the ball. At this stage, spots in the team are really only available to players able to contribute to a team effort.

Looking at the stats above, and just having watched the replay, the cleanest disposer of all with 90% efficiency for his 20 possessions was Bianco. Well done to the lad. I for one was set to delist him this year.

Even more galling then is that to the letter of the law, if the initial contact was high it doesn’t even matter if he did drop his knees.
ND, Pendles and Noble all got frees for exactly the same high contact, Ginnivan was denied.
Just ridiculous, and makes the Umpires look biased, which is not a good look for the game.

IMO Hudson and Maher are the 2 worst offenders in both defending or praising the respective teams they follow.
It’s unprofessional and embarrassing, and in complete contrast to other commentators.

Last edited:
Kelly Underwood commentating is at times like having a radio and TV without sound going at the same time out of sync. Often she is still calling play that is in the past as she seeks to pack as many words as she can into her description of the game. Sometimes what she says also borders on crap.

I wish Dennis Cometti had a clone who took over after he retired instead of being forced to listen to some of the bozos currently gifted time with a microphone.

Bucks is wrong. Razor Ray broke it down in a podcast recently. If the initial contact is high, and the player didn’t duck their head (and yes, I specifically mean “duck”, not all the other s**t), it’s a free kick.
Never thought I’d say this, but we need more Razor Ray!

I agree about other players. But it's hard for umpires, and players only make it harder. Is bending low to push into a tackle high? Is dropping the knees high. What about the Selwood arm raise?

Regarding Ginivan, I think he did dive on it (from memory) and then the ball came out the back. Players get pinged for this constantly. The tackling player holds the ball in, and the player on the ground holds their arm out showing they don't have it. If he had prior, then should have been illegal disposal imo. But AFL rules are so ambiguous. It's by far the hardest sport in the world to umpire. With players trying to constantly trick them. Fans will always notice the 5 bad calls against them and not the 5 bad calls for them.
I agree with this EP, most games there are the 3 or 4 bad ones either way and they become magnified in a close game. It is quite possibly the toughest pro sport to umpire, rules are subject to interpretation but i cannot accept that a highly professional sport accepts there wil be 6 to 8 errors every single week.
Players do make it tough but there is a very simple fix that, at the moment the code will not adopt.
Simply introduce a captains call, a couple unsuccessful per team and the 8 errors become, perhaps one or zero. Viewers will hear an explanation of the umpiring thought process, it would be also add to the viewing process. It would add 5 or 6 minutes to the total game time maximum.

Needs a step change in thinking, acknowledging umpring is difficult and technology can further assist rather than umpires cannot be criticised and to do so is disrespect. Many games have improved 1000 % in recent years using technology. NRL, Cricket, Soccer, and tennis are pretty solid world sports

Last edited:
Kelly Underwood commentating is at times like having a radio and TV without sound going at the same time out of sync. Often she is still calling play that is in the past as she seeks to pack as many words as she can into her description of the game. Sometimes what she says also borders on crap.

I wish Dennis Cometti had a clone who took over after he retired instead of being forced to listen to some of the bozos currently gifted time with a microphone.
Constantly gets players names wrong, lazy as well as when a player knocks a ball on or kicks a ball on but it just goes to an opposition player, she just says only goes to as far as the other team and not the actual name of the oppo player, some of the stuff she comes out with is complete garbage, she ruins the flow and the experience by commenting too late too many words and stupid expressions and also just the sound of her talking feels like my ears are bleeding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 18 = Adelaide 86-91 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back