Toast Round 18 = Adelaide 86-91 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I noticed at about 2 minutes to go in the 4th she said Adelaide deserved to win, pause for a few seconds then said so do Collingwood, and i was like WTF!!!

I don't ever want to hear her commentate a CFC game ever!!! or any game. The anti Collingwood statements aside, she was just horrible.

Yep, she said it would be cruel if the Crows lost. One of a number of instances of bias.

Even worse, Underwood in the third quarter, when Ginnivan was tackled high after picking the ball up down low and trying to get up and out of pressure said something to the gist of .... "Ginnivan caught making his signature move, the umpires rightly call play on"

There are occasions when they may as well have no rule regarding holding the ball..... just toss a coin.

It seems strange to me that players are penalised for diving on the ball because they are basically slowing down the game....yet the guy sprawled all over his back trying to keep the ball in, gets the free kick... doesnt that contradict what the rule is trying to do?

It also seems strange to me that players who take the ball to ground and make no attempt to move the ball on, are not free kicked, but players who make an attempt but dont succeed in disposing the ball, are free kicked... once again, this interpretation encourages a series of ball-ups.

Rucks can stand directly under the ball in ruck contests and still be judged as sheparding their opponents off the ball. Does this mean that ruckman have to think of giving their opponents equal access to the ball?

And finally, a player can duck their heads and pick up the ball and run into an opponent with their heads and it is a free kick, but its not a free kick when a player is tackled around the neck and the umpire feels they are being taken advantage of....

The rules have alway been a mess right back to the days of kevin bartlett and daryl baldock but they make no sense at all at the moment.

Absolutely thrilled with how we're tracking.

We're not playing great football, but we're finding a way to win which bodes well for the future.

N Daicos is a gem. One of the best first year players I've ever seen. Just an absolute delight to watch. Going to be our best player in no time, if he isn't already.

Pendles played a fantastic 350th. One of his best performances of the season. It's been a privilege to follow him closely over the last 16 years. I hope he gets to 400 games and we see it live at the MCG.

McRae has to be close to coach of the season. What he's done with this group is miraculous. No one in their wildest dreams thought we'd be here contending for a top 4 spot at the start of the season.

8 consecutive wins. Our best winning streak since 2012.

Can’t really call it luck anymore

I just can’t process how we won that game.

- Every little scrub kick or 50/50 ball went Adelaide’s way

- They handled the wet conditions better

- They had 3 extra players on the field for the entire game

- They got their goals infinitely easier than we did

It literally makes no sense how we won

Nick Daicos with 40 classy possessions and 3 clutch goals is how. The bloke is so effortless it's hard to notice he won the game for us.

Uncanny how many close wins we've had. 7 wins by under 2 goals.

Round 6 vs Essendon = +11
Round 11 vs Carlton = +4
Round 12 vs Hawthorn = +4
Round 15 vs GWS = +11
Round 16 vs Gold Coast = +5
Round 17 vs North Melbourne = +7
Round 18 vs Adelaide = +5
It’s a very good trait to have and shows a level of maturity with your team. Also helps having possibly the best first year player ever. Conversely, we are 1-3 in games decided by less than a goal this year and have lost another couple of games by 3-4 goals when we were within a goal during the last quarter, makes a huge difference being able to close out these close games.

Fly's pressers always worth watching.
When asked about Ginni and free kicks, he said to the journo: "Did you think it was a free kick?"
He gives straight answers without giving too much away.
And when asked if he'd seen a better first year from a player, his answer was simple: "No."

Fly's presser

Since this streak began, you've won several close games.
"There wouldn't be too many Collingwood supporters turning the TV off at three quarter time I wouldn't have thought. Ideally, we don't want to be in that position to have to dig deep but we're finding ways. This group wants to win. It's almost the thrill of the chase. I hate saying that because it means you're behind, but this group has a real will to win and a belief in it. They come to the bench going 'we've got this boys, we're okay'. I think it's tight".

Apart from willpower, how do they find a way to win?
"We've got a clear method. We analyse that part of the game funnily enough probably as much as any other part of our game because we've been in it so much. It's a story of our season. This is our story that close games are going our way. You need a little bit of luck, but there's a lot of good decisions being made at critical times".

How did you deal with Pendles' milestone pre-game? Did you build it up?
"We built it up probably from Thursday. All year, we've had this mantra of honouring the jumper. We want to honour the past; Collingwood greats and the history of it and every bit of it. We've slowly but surely working through that. We had Ash Johnson debut today. Every time we have a debutant we talk about honouring the jumper and have a past person present to it. Today we talked about honouring Pendles so the message was honour Pendles. The guy who has worn the jumper more than any other person in the history of our club and we talked some detail around that".

Pendles' performance was massive today and to perform like that in a milestone.
"He's so important to us. He leads from the front and he takes others with him. He's on a roll, it's unbelievable. Players wanted to play for him. We mentioned at three quarter time, we talked about honouring Pendles and this is the time to do that right now".

Do you have an issue with conceding too much despite having more inside 50s than Adelaide?
"I think centre bounces has been a real issue for us all year and we're getting to work on that. They took small steps forward on that. I thought that on this ground, it's such a difficult ground to take territory from D50 to F50 so we talked about that. The conditions have probably been similar today to what it has been for 4 out of our last 6 games so we've had to work our way through that. I thought today we didn't maintain our whole territory as good as what we could have in answer to your question. I thought we've done that better in the past and we'll look at ways on how to improve that".

126 tackles to 107 tackles today. How do those numbers jump up?
"The weather makes it clearly difficult to move the ball. I know you guys study the Crows more than we do. I've been watching them for about a month, and their last six weeks their pressure has been as good as anyone in the competition so I know that they've got that part of their game going really well and it will keep them competitive if that maintains. We were well aware of what was coming. Number 1 team pressure team in the competition so you have to handle that".

Are you blown away by what Nick Daicos is doing in his debut season?
"Yeah, it just seems to be going to another level. He had 40 today and kicked 3. He's a first year player; unbelievable. We moved him forward. The coaches upstairs made some awesome decisions and that was one of their best ones. They said let's move Nick forward and get Jack Crisp to half back. To Bolts, Leppa and Skip, that decision making won us the game. Clearly, Nick has to do it. Nick is having an outstanding season and it seems to be getting better every week".

Have you ever seen a first year player like this in your time?
"No I haven't. He's just doing it in different ways. The last few weeks he's been kicking classy goals. I've seen him at training kick these classy goals and I thought geez it would be nice to move him forward and now we're doing that and you've seen the benefit of that".

Ginnivan seems to have been hard done by today.
"My message to Jack after the game is I want him to keep attacking the footy hard. What comes of it, whether it's a high tackle or holding the ball; just keep attacking the footy hard. Because it was a wet weather day, he just had to keep turning up to contests. I thought he was just getting away from it anticipating we were going to win it in the dry we probably do, but in the wet you need to comeback. He's really in his first year, he's played 19 games or something. I just want him to keep attacking the footy hard. That's my message to him".

Is Ginnivan becoming a victim or misunderstood?
"I think if you're a victim, you think you are. I think he just needs to keep attacking the ball hard. We don't make excuses. We don't look for blame. Umpires make mistakes, they get some right and wrong. I've said that weeks gone by. I don't want to play the blame game or the excuse game".

How do you counsel Ginnivan about whether he's dropping his centre of gravity and the reason he's dropping it.
"I've said this for probably the 10th week in a row but there's a skill to it, there is. Choco Williams coached me at Glenelg and one of the first things he said 'it's hard to tackle a little bloke, so as the tackle comes just drop your knees a little bit', so that's a skill. I just said to Jack don't be a one-trick pony though. I said that weeks ago, not this week. He's got a lot of talent and he's playing a role for us. Every week there's a story about this. I don't want that to be his story".

Another win keeps you in touch with the top 4. Is there genuine belief that you belong in that top 4 echelon?
"Taking it a week at a time. We've had 8 wins in a row. It's quite a remarkable run we're on. We've got so much improvement whether it was talking about keeping the ball inside 50 or centre bounces. On Tuesday, you're not comfortable and you say 'come on boys, let's do this better'. A few weeks in a row it was goal kicking and then it's centre bounce. There's always something to improve on. I love to live in the growth mindset where tomorrow is the best day of my life. We're just trying to get back to work and what will be will be. We don't know, it's a really tight season. We take nothing for granted".

Is there a belief that you belong?
"There's a genuine belief within this group, particularly when it's close that we can get the job done. So far, so good".

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jamie Elliott uses his kung fu on 3 evil Crowbots

Rugged contest: Jordan Butts collides with Reilly O’Brien.

Scott Pendlebury's 350th game produced another tense cliffhanger that had heaps of pressure and intensity with Collingwood coming from behind to win against Adelaide by 5 points. The Magpies overcame a slow start in the opening term where the Crows kicked the first three goals, before the Pies hit back with the next 4 goals to take a small lead into quarter time. The second term saw the Woods break away slightly, before Adelaide took away ascendancy and momentum with a run of goals to restore their lead into the main break at half time. The third term was evenly fought between both sides, despite Collingwood dominating forward territory and did not maximise their value from their forward entries, while the Crows had significantly better scoring efficiency which kept the Magpies trailing on the scoreboard at three quarter time. The final quarter saw the Woods control most of the term and threatened to build a buffer that may have proven to be too great for Adelaide, before the Crows responded with two quick goals during time on of the 4th quarter to reduce the margin below a kick. For the next 12 minutes, Collingwood were forced to defend for their life during this period and were able to emerge as victors under besieged circumstances in the dying minutes and seconds that counted down until the final siren.

Collingwood won their statistical categories from sources such as disposals by +57 (374 - 317), +36 for kicks (228 - 192), handballs were up by +21 (146 - 125), while uncontested possessions had a differential of +36 (181 - 145). Hit-outs were won by +10 (59 - 49), with clearances claimed by +4 (51 - 47), stoppage clearances had a margin of +9 (42 - 33), while tackles had a gap of +19 (126 - 107), and Tackles Inside 50 had an advantage of +16 (21 - 5). Marks went Collingwood's way by +6 (45 - 39), +13 for uncontested marks (44 - 31), and Inside 50s were won by +12 (61 - 49). Adelaide won their statistical categories from components such as contested possessions by +10 (159 - 149), +1 for intercept possessions (83 - 82), centre clearances had a differential of +5 (14 - 9), while contested marks were up by +7 ( 8 - 1 ), and Marks Inside 50 were won by +3 (9 - 6).

Scott Pendlebury (29 disposals @ 59%, 320 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 17 handballs, 2 marks, 12 tackles, 2 goal assists, 6 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) provided stability and leadership in the clinches, produced territory under pressure, tackled with intent, and kicked a superb goal that saw him mobbed by teammates in his 350th game.

Patrick Lipinski (29 disposals @ 57%, 301 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 13 kicks, 15 handballs, 2 marks, 13 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 2 goal assists, 8 score involvements, 6 clearances, 5 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) provided tackling pressure and forward territory to give Collingwood's forwards every chance to impact the scoreboard.

Josh Daicos (24 disposals @ 46%, 428 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 9 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 2 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 5 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) accumulated possessions under pressure, but had difficulties hitting targets and maintaining possession on a day where there was no time and space to dispose of the footy in a perfect manner.

Josh Carmichael (24 disposals @ 25%, 448 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 24 kicks, 3 marks, 8 tackles, 3 score involvements, 6 clearances, 6 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal) looked to kick the ball forward every time he won possession when he had time and space under pressure to execute his craft. Carmichael was able to kick his first AFL goal to ensure the team stayed alive in the game.

Trent Bianco (20 disposals @ 90%, 308 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 6 tackles, 5 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) maximised his ball use to the team's advantage by being bold and daring with the decisions he made that allowed the team to keep possession and contribute to scoring chains when he could.

Jack Crisp (18 disposals @ 61%, 381 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 6 handballs, 2 marks, 10 tackles, 4 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 6 Inside 50s) applied excellent tackling pressure and surged the ball forward every time he won possession.

Darcy Cameron (17 disposals @ 53%, 222 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 31 hit-outs, 11 kicks, 6 handballs, 5 tackles, 2 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s, 3 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) gave great effort in the ruck and fed his midfield clearances from stoppages around the ground.

Nick Daicos (40 disposals @ 82%, 747 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 31 uncontested possessions, 10 intercept possessions, 25 kicks, 15 handballs, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 5 Inside 50s, 8 Rebound 50s & 3 goals) continued his meteoric ascent to prominence with career-best numbers all over the park. Nick demonstrated composure under pressure and was prepared to push higher up the ground to convert three quality goals.

Brayden Maynard (16 disposals @ 69%, 385 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 6 handballs, 6 marks, 12 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) was a human brick wall by taking intercept marks, tackled successfully behind the ball to save numerous goals being conceded, and created quality rebound that resulted in scores at the other end.

Jeremy Howe (14 disposals @ 86%, 197 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 5 kicks, 9 handballs, 5 tackles, 3 score involvements & 2 Rebound 50s) chose to play conservative footy behind the ball to give the team every chance of keeping possession and preventing goals from turnovers.

John Noble (13 disposals @ 77%, 302 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 4 handballs, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 2 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) offered some run and carry from defence and took territory down the ground to allow his teammates to defend behind the ball.

Trey Ruscoe (13 disposals @ 62%, 183 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 4 handballs, 1 goal assist, 2 score involvements & 3 Inside 50s) played his role solidly without standing out. Ruscoe played within his limitations and delegated to teammates who could make bold and daring choices.

Darcy Moore (11 disposals @ 91%, 255 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 marks & 4 Rebound 50s) gave Collingwood some aerial presence and stability by taking some crucial marks and generating rebound when it was on.

Steele Sidebottom (20 disposals @ 60%, 290 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 8 handballs, 7 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal) gave Collingwood a different look closer to goal, while spending some time on the wing. Sidebottom was able to create scoring forays and pump it forward around the ground.

Jamie Elliott (18 disposals @ 56%, 197 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 10 handballs, 3 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 6 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) provided an avenue to goal at all times and started quarters at centre bounces to see if he could maximise his value for the time he spent in the midfield.

Jack Ginnivan (13 disposals @ 69%, 150 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 5 kicks, 8 handballs, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 1 goal) impacted the scoreboard with a trademark snap from the pocket during the third term. Aside from that, Ginnivan's tactics at drawing free kicks are becoming increasingly fruitless, while the holding the ball decision where did not have possession is the clubhouse leader for the worst decision of the season.

Beau McCreery (12 disposals @ 67%, 288 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 6 handballs, 2 marks, 7 tackles, 4 Tackles Inside 50, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was very good at providing pressure and tackling like a maniac in his home state and booted an excellent goal to cap off his day's work up forward.

Ash Johnson (11 disposals @ 73%, 100 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 5 handballs, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 4 score involvements & 2 goals) made an impressionable debut where he was lively and provided a scoring outlet for his side throughout the day.

Brody Mihocek (10 disposals @ 50%, 170 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 6 tackles, 4 Tackles Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 2 goals) made the most of his limited opportunities and tackled ferociously when required.

Collingwood's next game will be against Essendon on July 24 at the MCG. The key objective for the Magpies is to keep banking the wins and deny the Bombers all of the confidence they have built over the past month. Collingwood's focus will be on winning contested possession, centre clearances and converting opportunities up forward to ensure they are not wasted. Tick all of those boxes, and the Woods will be on their path to victory.

Fly's presser

Since this streak began, you've won several close games.

Apart from willpower, how do they find a way to win?

How did you deal with Pendles' milestone pre-game? Did you build it up?

Pendles' performance was massive today and to perform like that in a milestone.

Do you have an issue with conceding too much despite having more inside 50s than Adelaide?

126 tackles to 107 tackles today. How do those numbers jump up?

Are you blown away by what Nick Daicos is doing in his debut season?

Have you ever seen a first year player like this in your time?

Ginnivan seems to have been hard done by today.

Is Ginnivan becoming a victim or misunderstood?

How do you counsel Ginnivan about whether he's dropping his centre of gravity and the reason he's dropping it.

Another win keeps you in touch with the top 4. Is there genuine belief that you belong in that top 4 echelon?

Is there a belief that you belong?

Love your work Pinny. Keep it going!

I wouldn't be against Ginivan having a week as the sub. He's a young player, and feel his impact is lessening and he looks frustrated. A rest might help. He's clutch around the corner. Early season he was clutch with drop punts too.

Re the sooking about high tackles. He plays for them so much it's gone over the top. If he played for Carlton we'd be screaming for them to be not paid. I don't even mind him dropping, but he stops and looks at the ump when there's no whistle.

Yeah, I dont usually complain about umpires but there were A few shockers today.

the decision to not pay ginnivan free kicks is pretty concerning.

It went both ways. There were a few free kicks that should have been paid to Adelaide. The one where Sidebottom wrapped his arms around his opponent’s neck then quickly pulled them back looking like a guilty kid getting busted with their hand in the cookie jar gets paid 999 times out of 1000.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be against Ginivan having a week as the sub. He's a young player, and feel his impact is lessening and he looks frustrated. A rest might help. He's clutch around the corner. Early season he was clutch with drop punts too.

Re the sooking about high tackles. He plays for them so much it's gone over the top. If he played for Carlton we'd be screaming for them to be not paid. I don't even mind him dropping, but he stops and looks at the ump when there's no whistle.

Ginnivan does an enormous amount without the ball in hand. He pinballs around the forward line putting pressure on opponents. He’s not quick and he rarely catches them, but he does put pressure on the kicker which is helpful to keep the ball in our front half. Doesn’t get a stat for any of it.

That’s why Henry gets dropped and Ginnivan holds his spot. Sure, Henry can take the big marks and kick the set shots. But while Henry only spends 60% TOG and can’t run and chase, Ginnivan is running around the forward line like a blue assed blow fly.

Ginnivan gets up the ground to provide escape options for getting the ball out of defense (Or draws his opponent away from the others). Very smart footballer. If he’s fit I don’t think we can afford to drop him. Let’s put it this way, if he’s rested or omitted he gets replaced by Callum Brown.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 18 = Adelaide 86-91 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back