Review Round 18 - Port Adelaide @ PF Stadium - 14th July 2024 - 1:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Weirdly confident about this game even though I shouldn't be. Even though the GC vs PA record is really bad, on paper we should match up really well against them. The Gold Coast game plan is all about manic pressure and with the exception of Willem Drew their midfield is stacked with one-way runners. It's just a shame Dimma hates taggers because we need to shut down either Butters or Rozee. Port Adelaide can struggle against key forwards but with Day injured and Luko out of form we might not be able to capitalize. It looks like Port Adelaide have gone super-tall with their forward line this week - Playing Marshall, Finlayson, Lord, and Dixon? That can absolutely be played into our hands if Jeffrey, Powell or Uwland get off the chain. Port Adelaide love to bomb it long so the intercept game from Collins, Andrew, and Ballard needs to be locked in.

The Suns’ inability to beat Port Adelaide since that inaugural win is one of those strange, persistent records which could really do with ending.

In terms of keys to the game I think team defence and midfield accountability are where focus has to be. The Power are aggressive and will look to target any holes in the zone or lay runners. If anyone in the middle isn’t pulling their weight it will be shown up on Sunday. Lots of fans have been calling the midfield self-centred in their approach and I’m unconvinced by this. But if they get torn apart from kick-ins and turnovers this weekend then I think they may be on to something.

Rowell and Anderson have to take responsibility, they will have younger midfield partners and no experienced campaigners to back them up. They have to show the Port crew how its done in Queensland. Keep the stoppage an even contest and we win the game off the back of turnover simple as.

A Port win means season over so the mission is clear. They are potent but not without flaws, the sort of team we should deal with at Carrara. Get it done and 4 wins from 6 doesn’t seem outside the realms of possibility.

https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com...ower-preview-how-to-end-an-irritating-record/

The Suns’ inability to beat Port Adelaide since that inaugural win is one of those strange, persistent records which could really do with ending.

In terms of keys to the game I think team defence and midfield accountability are where focus has to be. The Power are aggressive and will look to target any holes in the zone or lay runners. If anyone in the middle isn’t pulling their weight it will be shown up on Sunday. Lots of fans have been calling the midfield self-centred in their approach and I’m unconvinced by this. But if they get torn apart from kick-ins and turnovers this weekend then I think they may be on to something.

Rowell and Anderson have to take responsibility, they will have younger midfield partners and no experienced campaigners to back them up. They have to show the Port crew how its done in Queensland. Keep the stoppage an even contest and we win the game off the back of turnover simple as.

A Port win means season over so the mission is clear. They are potent but not without flaws, the sort of team we should deal with at Carrara. Get it done and 4 wins from 6 doesn’t seem outside the realms of possibility.

https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com...ower-preview-how-to-end-an-irritating-record/

We really do love to throw out the “season over” line quickly. To borrow a phrase from Dimma; “the fact of the matter is” - we have 2 losses up our sleeve, so while a loss here makes it harder it’s not season over till those losses are spent

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We really do love to throw out the “season over” line quickly. To borrow a phrase from Dimma; “the fact of the matter is” - we have 2 losses up our sleeve, so while a loss here makes it harder it’s not season over till those losses are spent

I think it’s cause we have all been so scarred in the past by this team. Every year ends up being the same. History tells us they fold in the second half of the season to the point where it’s engrained in their culture. It’s going to take a lot of mental toughness and sheer willpower to buck the trend and turn the tables.

If we lose this one, the problem will be not just the wins required (another 5 wins out of 6 games, probably) but the number of teams to go past (track position).

Lose and we will be 12th or 13th with 6 games to go. To make it, we will need to both win a lot and also hope that 4 of the 5 teams above us struggle. History says that is too much to ask.

Suspect it would be a good problem to have, scrap and fight our way to 13 wins and finish 9th on percentage.

If we lose this one, the problem will be not just the wins required (another 5 wins out of 6 games, probably) but the number of teams to go past (track position).

Lose and we will be 12th or 13th with 6 games to go. To make it, we will need to both win a lot and also hope that 4 of the 5 teams above us struggle. History says that is too much to ask.

Suspect it would be a good problem to have, scrap and fight our way to 13 wins and finish 9th on percentage.
In summary
MINI GF #5

I can't believe 15 years down the track people are seeing the age of our team as a positive
It's not
Yeah, it's actually shocking for me. We should be entering prime time but in reality, we are in re-build. I am pretty sure never under Dew we were 60 games average. And that was a full re-build. Check out average games for current re-build teams - Hawks, Eagles, North (closer to us).

Not that I don't like the line-up. But again, it's putting games into young talented players with a promise to deliver sometimes in future. We don't have much time with players like King, Luko, Rowell, Anderson before they will start looking for opportunities somewhere else. IMO, next year is a crunch time.

Forget finals as a baseline for this year. Not smart declaration from Dimma.

All I ask for is the team showing the improvement in the remaining games, not falling off the cliff. Be better in contest. Coaches to do better job in figuring out how we should play, players roles. Getting killed by North in stoppage clearances by 20 is poor reflection on midfield and coaches.

Yeah, it's actually shocking for me. We should be entering prime time but in reality, we are in re-build.
This
And I would fully understand if the rebuild was based on a few young superstars but we're actually trying to apply the Packer Whacker to a few stop start careers
We're not talking Sheezel Daicos Butters Rankine here
Budarick Johnston Davies Humphrey will do good things sometimes but do we think they are A graders?
We have collective supporter high hopes for them no doubt
I don't want to undervalue Rowell Anderson Miller Witts and King- they are gold stamped A graders but I honestly think the only gamechanger superstar we have on the books is Mac Andrew
I agree with Bodsy
This is a mini GF
Because if we really have put the cue in the rack and as a Club we're content to slide to a dismal second half of the season yet again then -well-let's just hope the boys who come in can show something
My greatest fear is losing our A graders to Melbourne in the next couple of years because we just don't seem to be able to progress

Last edited:
Yeah, it's actually shocking for me. We should be entering prime time but in reality, we are in re-build. I am pretty sure never under Dew we were 60 games average. And that was a full re-build. Check out average games for current re-build teams - Hawks, Eagles, North (closer to us).

Not that I don't like the line-up. But again, it's putting games into young talented players with a promise to deliver sometimes in future. We don't have much time with players like King, Luko, Rowell, Anderson before they will start looking for opportunities somewhere else. IMO, next year is a crunch time.

Forget finals as a baseline for this year. Not smart declaration from Dimma.

All I ask for is the team showing the improvement in the remaining games, not falling off the cliff. Be better in contest. Coaches to do better job in figuring out how we should play, players roles. Getting killed by North in stoppage clearances by 20 is poor reflection on midfield and coaches.
If I could triple like this post I would
Great summation
And I'm sure it reflects the Demons in the cupboard at the foot of the bed for most long term Suns supporters
We all love seeing the young guys, but if we were where we should be it would be one or two being dripfed into the team
They shouldn't be coming in to right the sinking ship

Would you rather swallow, ellis, fiorini?

It is
Does it mean that Dew actually did not have the cattle for finals assault? General view was that Dew had enough talent on the list but could not take them to finals level?

So, Dimma is now trying to speed up development of additional talent he got as the list he inherited (one year older) is not up to it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it mean that Dew actually did not have the cattle for finals assault? General view was that Dew had enough talent on the list but could not take them finals level?

So, Dimma is now trying to speed up development of additional talent he got?
It was upto Dew to prove that he could develop the talent he had (or) play youth and rotate the magnets to a point the club had faith in his trajectory, he did neither.

Dimma sees the club as it is, not going to contend with the elder statesman and has moved on.

The ironic part is that it's very likely we'll enter the game against Port tomorrow knowing that we have the opportunity to move into the top 8 (at least temporarily). If you can enter the top 8 with 7 games to go then it's definitely not season over. People are just scarred from the past and don't want to get their hopes up because history tells them that this team is only going to disappoint them later on.

The ironic part is that it's very likely we'll enter the game against Port tomorrow knowing that we have the opportunity to move into the top 8 (at least temporarily). If you can enter the top 8 with 7 games to go then it's definitely not season over. People are just scarred from the past and don't want to get their hopes up because history tells them that this team is only going to disappoint them later on.
It's more about how we play on the road. The games against Saints and North were key to our finals chances. Midfield is really disappointing on the road. I expected midfield to be our strength this year. It's disappointing.

Sure, we can still make it, but we can't afford to lose at home. I am not holding my breath especially with kids playing. Tomorrow line-up is crazy young. Never seen anything like it. 12 players with less than 50 games. Hopefully home stadium will help them.

Last edited:
It's more about how we play on the road. The games against Saints and North were key to our finals chances. Midfield is really disappointing on the road. I expected midfield to be our strength this year. It's disappointing.

Sure, we can still make it, but we can't afford to lose at home. I am not holding my breath especially with kids playing. Tomorrow line-up is crazy young. Never seen anything like it. 12 players with less than 50 games. Hopefully home stadium will help them.
I understand the concern about our road form, but this is a home game and to date we've been good at home in 2024. Some have said we're a five goal better side at home. If you apply that logic to our away losses then we would have beaten GWS, Carlton, St Kilda, Fremantle and North this year with those extra five goals.

Until we lose a home game this year, I don't have any reason to doubt this team when we play at PFS. We also need to do our part and make sure we are loud and ensuring we get the rub of the green with the umps. I just hope the penny has dropped and our players understand the opportunity they have tomorrow with a top 8 spot potentially being up for grabs.

Young team, but it looks pretty good IMO. I'm pretty happy with that defence going forward, will be interesting to see where Weller slots in next week, maybe the wing?

Forward line looks better with Rosas there. Like a smaller forward line, will needs the likes of Rosas and Ainsworth to kick multiples and Lukosius to provide presence.

Young team, but it looks pretty good IMO. I'm pretty happy with that defence going forward, will be interesting to see where Weller slots in next week, maybe the wing?

Forward line looks better with Rosas there. Like a smaller forward line, will needs the likes of Rosas and Ainsworth to kick multiples and Lukosius to provide presence.
That's because Rosa's is the only small forward we have that actually kicks goals

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does it mean that Dew actually did not have the cattle for finals assault? General view was that Dew had enough talent on the list but could not take them to finals level?

So, Dimma is now trying to speed up development of additional talent he got as the list he inherited (one year older) is not up to it?
Dew is the reason we don’t have the cattle and have had to rejuvenate to build around Hardwick’s style with young players who have talent.

Hollands, Sharp, Markov, Bowes, Wright, Lyons, Scrimshaw, Chol, etc. No interest in developing rebounding halfbacks or attacking small forwards.

Sooo many players who didn’t exactly fit what Dew wanted so instead of trying to be flexible and work with them he just shipped them off and built a squad of Macpherson’s, Lemmens’, etc who were “Dew players”, leaving us with the mess we are in.

We have had to go backwards to go forward and this was always going to be a year of cleaning out the deadwood and finding the players on the list who can fill a role and keep around.

Review Round 18 - Port Adelaide @ PF Stadium - 14th July 2024 - 1:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back