Review Round 18 - Port Adelaide @ PF Stadium - 14th July 2024 - 1:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems fate has conspired against us before we even play the match. Gold Coast really needed Carlton to beat the Bulldogs and Freo to beat Hawthorn to stay within reaching distance of the top 8. Also need Essendon to beat Melbourne, but the Demons are leading at half time.

It seems fate has conspired against us before we even play the match. Gold Coast really needed Carlton to beat the Bulldogs and Freo to beat Hawthorn to stay within reaching distance of the top 8. Also need Essendon to beat Melbourne, but the Demons are leading at half time.
Yep been a bad weekend of footy already and we haven't even played yet. Must win.

Dew is the reason we don’t have the cattle and have had to rejuvenate to build around Hardwick’s style with young players who have talent.

Hollands, Sharp, Markov, Bowes, Wright, Lyons, Scrimshaw, Chol, etc. No interest in developing rebounding halfbacks or attacking small forwards.

Sooo many players who didn’t exactly fit what Dew wanted so instead of trying to be flexible and work with them he just shipped them off and built a squad of Macpherson’s, Lemmens’, etc who were “Dew players”, leaving us with the mess we are in.

We have had to go backwards to go forward and this was always going to be a year of cleaning out the deadwood and finding the players on the list who can fill a role and keep around.
Jirik13 your thoughts?

I imagine how much better our team looks if Dew doesn't isolate and drive people out of the club through his refusal to give players a look in.

Sharp is probably running the wing for us.
Lyons will probably have rotated out by now, but would have been a great contested player when we didn't have a lot else.
Bowes may have found a role as an experienced good 15-22 player.
Wright plays a solid hand ushering the likes of King and Lukosius through and as a 2nd ruck.
Hollands probably hangs around and could be anything.

We would be a lot more experienced than the team running out this weekend. Dew seemingly focused on what players can't do, rather than focus on their strengths. He almost lost us Flanders as well.

Weird season. A win tomorrow will have us only 6 points out of the top 4. Well and truly season is alive imo

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm just feeling super deflated about the season. Like I know there's still enough games take make finals but the Saints and North loss was bad.

I don't think playing young players is bad. Graham and Uwland give more than players with 100 games under their belts. I think as long as they're contributing it's ok. I think Jed probably needed to go back and find form in the vfl earlier in the season after watching how good Sam Day was (I know he's injured but I think he's having his best season so far).

Anyway, I'm still committed, currently in Japan but I'm going to find a way to watch the game today.

We have no option but to win with the way the round is going. A lot of upset for the race to finals. Let's hope our midfield smash it today.

Dew is the reason we don’t have the cattle and have had to rejuvenate to build around Hardwick’s style with young players who have talent.

Hollands, Sharp, Markov, Bowes, Wright, Lyons, Scrimshaw, Chol, etc. No interest in developing rebounding halfbacks or attacking small forwards.

Sooo many players who didn’t exactly fit what Dew wanted so instead of trying to be flexible and work with them he just shipped them off and built a squad of Macpherson’s, Lemmens’, etc who were “Dew players”, leaving us with the mess we are in.

We have had to go backwards to go forward and this was always going to be a year of cleaning out the deadwood and finding the players on the list who can fill a role and keep around.
For me it seems a bit biased view but fair enough.

I agree, Dew had more than enough time (6 years) and we should let him go earlier in hindsight. We probably wasted 1-2 years.

To blame Dew for not having cattle now or for not developing players seems unfair to me.

There are assistant and development coaches. There were cap issues. Should we blame Dimma for Humphrey's regression this year?

The general consensus was that the list when Dew left was underperforming and is finals quality. As Dimma famously announced when he was hired 80% of championship team is there already. That was before he got 4 top quality academy kids.

From the players you mentioned (surprisingly missing Brodie) none of them excites me and are at best role players.

Except Bowes, I would say all have one thing in common and that is often not working hard, no putting effort consistently. They all got second chance. Good on them. Some improved but overall, I don't believe they would make a difference for us. Would they be in our best 22? IMO, most of them would be a depth.

BTW, Dimma let go Hollands and Chol. Read some comments from fans about Hollands, Chol, Wright, Markov recently. A bit up and down. Just watched Sharp yesterday. Afte some good games he was back to a seagull again.

I understand Dimma's approach to go young athough I did not expect to break record this weekend. It's pretty clear the players we drafted recently are top quality and should push us towards finals. Unfortunately, it will take time for them to contribute consistently. It's a risky strategy as we don't have 3 years for re-building.

Learning about players what they can do and how they fit into his plan is fine, but it has to click next year. Some decisions by Dimma as a coach are questionable for me. For example, Flanders spending half season as HB was crazy.

This year is essentially the same as last year. Sometimes we actually look worse in contest. We can't afford to fall of the cliff again.

Another pre-season and we will be flying :) I hope but have some doubts. We should try to get 1-2 high quality assistants in the off-season besides 1-2 quality players. Not playing finals will probably impact our recruitment.

Last edited:
I'm just feeling super deflated about the season. Like I know there's still enough games take make finals but the Saints and North loss was bad.
Seems like a lot of teams are currently struggling to win games that their ladder position suggests they should. It's turned into one of those weeks where we just have to bank 4 points to stay in the race. As long as we beat Port today, we're guaranteed to be within a win of 7th and 8th as well as having a superior percentage to both of those teams. As lommy pointed out, we're also guaranteed to be just 6 points behind the top 4 if we win today. I'll even go one step further and say we're guaranteed to enter the top 8 (at least temporarily) if we beat Port today and beat GWS next week.

It's an incredibly tight season and we're right in the middle of this race. Dimma was very good at getting his players at Richmond to win these types of games late in a season and I know we're all hoping he can sprinkle some of that magic on us over the next few weeks. All we can really do as fans is go to the games and make as much noise as possible to intimidate the opposition and influence the umpires into giving us the better calls.

It's go time so let's f'n go!

I don't think playing young players is bad. Graham and Uwland give more than players with 100 games under their belts. I think as long as they're contributing it's ok. I think Jed probably needed to go back and find form in the vfl earlier in the season after watching how good Sam Day was (I know he's injured but I think he's having his best season so far).

Anyway, I'm still committed, currently in Japan but I'm going to find a way to watch the game today.

We have no option but to win with the way the round is going. A lot of upset for the race to finals. Let's hope our midfield smash it today.
I’m in the same boat. However, if we kick just 1 more goal against North and St Kilda (or if the squad doesn’t develop a mindset where winning on the road is the absolute hardest thing in the world to do) then we are playing today for a spot in the top 4 and I don’t think my thoughts on how we are going would be much different.
Just a crazy season, which we really haven’t made the most of with our fixture.

But a win today is massive. I can see a scenario where a loss shatters our home confidence and we struggle to win again this season. Alternatively, I could weirdly see a loss today making the team realise that this Home V Away mindset is stupid and they go on a tear to end the season (much copium with this one).

A win today not only is critical for this seasons hopes but it will show we have the makings of a dynasty level team. We are so young and have given the chop to those who are not in the future plans of the first premiership tilt. Players like Anderson, Rowell, Flanders are going to have to step up and play as senior players and lift their team to an inspiring win. Not super confident but hoping to see a win and some young players to take a step up.

A win today not only is critical for this seasons hopes but it will show we have the makings of a dynasty level team. We are so young and have given the chop to those who are not in the future plans of the first premiership tilt. Players like Anderson, Rowell, Flanders are going to have to step up and play as senior players and lift their team to an inspiring win. Not super confident but hoping to see a win and some young players to take a step up.
I recall Port Adelaide being in a similar scenario a few years ago when thet debuted Rozee, Butters, Duursma and another debutant all in the same game against the previous year's prelim finalists Melbourne at the MCG and the young Port side pulled off a massive victory that set them on an upward trajectory that has led to where they are now (Rozee is now the captain and Butters is the co-captain). The media consensus at the time was Port had gone too young and had no chance.

It's obviously a bit different for us in this game because we're undefeated at home and it feels like people are just defaulting to that strong home record as justification for our favouritism. In reality, we've dropped several older players + named a very young side to face a top 8 team and in some ways it could be viewed as a symbolic changing of the guard if we do get the chocolates today. These youngsters have an opportunity over the next fortnight to send a message to everybody that we're not here to make up the numbers and we mean business.

Ben King was quoted this morning saying that the group reacted very well to Dimma's "grow the f*%k up" call to action so maybe we will see something very different today. Here's hoping!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I imagine how much better our team looks if Dew doesn't isolate and drive people out of the club through his refusal to give players a look in.

Sharp is probably running the wing for us.
Lyons will probably have rotated out by now, but would have been a great contested player when we didn't have a lot else.
Bowes may have found a role as an experienced good 15-22 player.
Wright plays a solid hand ushering the likes of King and Lukosius through and as a 2nd ruck.
Hollands probably hangs around and could be anything.

We would be a lot more experienced than the team running out this weekend. Dew seemingly focused on what players can't do, rather than focus on their strengths. He almost lost us Flanders as well.
I would genuinely be ropable if I was watching Flanders do what he's doing this year at Hawthorn.

Our best accumulator, one of our better ball users and one of our most versatile players, and we almost lost him for a packet of twisties

On this week though - Underrated In for us is Rosas. We've missed his pressure and one touch play in the forward line since he went down.

Looks like Swallow is going to be a late in for you guys today at the expense of Moyle who is currently playing vfl?

Ben Moyle, younger brother of SUNS ruckman Ned, has also been named to play as the team’s ruck in the absence of Read and with co-captain Jarrod Witts still unavailable through injury.

In summary
MINI GF #5
Be there
Be GC
This is the MINI GFs of all the 2024 MINI GFs. Lose today and we stand a good chance of finishing 15th or lower given Eagles and Tigers are probably our most likely chances for wins. Teams below are improving (Crows, Hawks etc) while we are regressing. Finish below 12th will be a disaster for Dimmer's plans - would've expected a near miss to the 8 I'd guess. I think we have a shot but MUST win this one - or season completely wasted and pressure to retain the likes of Ainsworth, Humphrey, Rowell in the years to come. Those two losses to NM and STK were absolutely critical. I'll be there and hoping for a win.

Ben Moyle, younger brother of SUNS ruckman Ned, has also been named to play as the team’s ruck in the absence of Read and with co-captain Jarrod Witts still unavailable through injury.

Thanks for clarifying. The VFL app has Ned Moyle listed as playing right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18 - Port Adelaide @ PF Stadium - 14th July 2024 - 1:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back