Preview Round 18 v GWS MCG Sunday July 14th 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
17 down, 7 to go and this week is yet another challenge for us as we take on GWS who beat Carlton last weekend, who beat us by 10 goals the week before and we're coming off a hard slog against Fremantle in the wet where we were beaten by 51 points.

The club has said that they won't be rushing back Lynch (at least 1 more week) and Martin (back issues) so we can't really be expecting to see a lot of changes this week outside possibly Prestia returning and rewarding the likes of Trezise and Smith with another opportunity at senior level.

Just like the Dockers the Giants will provide a real challenge for our midfield as they are ranked 9th for clearances and top 2 for contested possessions but we saw that with the return of Taranto & Hopper that our midfield could match it with the top ranked Dockers for clearances and were able to break even in contested possessions. So we should hopefully be able to do similar against the Giants.

Down back it will be another chance for Blight to gain senior experience against either Cadman or Riccardi, while Miller goes to Hogan, which leaves Broad or Brown to go to whoever Blight doesn't get. Up forward both Balta and Koschitzke have shown some good form the last couple of weeks without necessarily getting the full reward on the scoreboard. Balta did kick 3 against Carlton and had 4 goal assists against the Dockers so should continue to do well up forward. Koschitzke seems to have found his spot playing a 2nd forward/ruck role that seems to get him involved in the play more.

As mentioned above I'd like to see us give another opportunity to either or both Trezise & Smith whose VFL for has been quite consistent throughout the VFL season and who both had their first opportunities cut short through no fault of their own.

Potential Line Up:
Out: Campbell Cumberland McIntosh
In: Prestia Trezise Smith

B: Miller Broad Blight
HB: D.Rioli Vlastuin Brown
C: Banks Taranto Ralphsmith
HF: Mansell Baker Sonsie
F: Balta Bolton Koschitzke
R: Nankervis Hopper Graham
INT: Short Prestia McAuliffe Trezise Smith

Pick 1...

secret smell GIF

Seth Meyers No GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I wonder if it’s a good idea to get hopper and Taranto to stare gws down before the game to intimidate them?
we should donate hopper to gws as a welcome to country gift

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is this the Allanah game , I thought that was for the Aints and us?
because we dont want to have an embarrassing under 20k crowd I reckon

James Trezise (28 disposals, 93% disposal efficiency, nine rebound-50s)

“James is in incredible form at the moment, and it’s mostly based off the back of his defensive efforts in recent weeks. We've seen his offensive game grow each and every week, and seeing his speed on offence on the weekend was really pleasing. He's banging the door down.”

Thomson Dow (23 disposals, three marks, three inside-50s, six clearances)

“He's been in good form since coming back to the VFL team and has approached his footy in exactly the way that we would expect from him. He won footy in tight and helped us at clearance greatly and was fantastic again on the weekend.”

Kaleb Smith (20 disposals, 80% disposal efficiency, four marks, four rebound-50s, five inside-50s, four tackles)

“Kaleb was really solid on the weekend. I think his run and drive off half-back was important for us, and he went into the midfield in the last quarter as a bit of a learning opportunity and showed some really exciting traits as a midfielder led by three tackles in a row to create stoppage at the start of the last quarter.”

Oliver Hayes-Brown (13 disposals, nine contested possessions, three marks, three inside-50s, tree tackles, six clearances, 40 hit-outs)

“Yet another step forward for Ollie playing significant minutes in the ruck. It’s really pleasing to see his game grow each and every week, but I continue to challenge him to have a bigger and bigger influence now, as the expectations of him are rising each and every week.”

Steely Green (12 disposals, three marks, three inside-50s, two goals)

“Steely was really good on the weekend once again, similar to Nick (Collier). He runs his patterns well and is really important for us on defence, and he hit the scoreboard again on the weekend.”

Matthew Coulthard (nine disposals, 78% disposal efficiency, three marks, three tackles, two goals)

“Matt didn't have huge numbers, but I thought he impacted the game once again. He had a huge effort to chase and put pressure on which led to a goal. Those sorts of efforts are something that we value greatly and look forward to continuing to see from Matt as that's something he's really capable of. He also kicked one of the better goals you'll see at this level from the boundary. He's a classy player who is in reasonably good form.”

out- McIntosh, Cumberland
in- Smith, Trezise, Prestia

fb- Vlastuin, Miller, Brown
hb- Smith, Blight, Broad
c- Rioli, Baker, Ralphsmith
hf- Short, Balta, Sonsie
ff- Mansell, Kosi, Bolton
r- Nank, Hopper, Taranto
I/C- Banks, McAuliffe, Graham, Prestia
sub- Campbell

Dusty in for Campbell if he's fit.

PLAYER INJURY ESTIMATED RETURN
Jacob Bauer Ribs Test
Judson Clarke ACL Season
Mate Colina Back TBC
Liam Fawcett Back 4-5 weeks
Campbell Gray Hamstring 7-8 weeks
Josh Gibcus ACL Season
Dylan Grimes Back Season
Mykelti Lefau ACL Season
Tom Lynch Hamstring 2-3 weeks
Dustin Martin Back Test
Sam Naismith ACL Season
Marlion Pickett Calf 1-2 weeks
Dion Prestia Calf Test
Maurice Rioli jnr Ankle 1-2 weeks
Jack Ross Foot 3-4 weeks
Samson Ryan Ankle Test
Tylar Young ACL Season
Updated: July 9, 2024

Early prognosis
Richmond could be boosted by the return of Prestia and Martin, with the pair needing to get through training this week in order to face Greater Western Sydey.
Pickett and Rioli are closing in on returns, ……
but Lynch's timeline has bumped out a week, having sat at 1-2 last round.
– Sarah Black

May as well rule a line through Lynch, Ross, Gray and Fawcett for the year….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back