Review Round 19, 2023 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we all agree keeping Boak on the list is nuts? Him wanting to play on is purely selfish.
He certainly looks cooked atm. Too slow, can't keep his feet, poor disposal. Hope he can get back to playing well because we don't have the depth to replace him atm. There's too many others that need replacing before him.

So hard to know how to feel about this loss.

Half of me is proud of how we played. We gave it 100%. Could not really have done much more. Collingwood did what Collingwood does which is come from behind, kicked a number of clutch goals and got it done. There's no shame in how we lost tonight.

On the other hand...

We've been here, seen this, bought the tshirt before a hell of a lot over the last 10 years. So many close enough, near enough, shoulda/coulda/if only games that we somehow lose at home despite winning a lot of key statistical parameters. Thats why this stings. It feels no different. It's just another "if only"...

• Marshall misses from 20 out on a slight angle. Thats the 1/100 he misses
  • Lachie Jones going up to spoil and missing the ball twice. Two goals
  • Lachie Jones somehow kicking the ball at right angles out on the full. Another goal
  • Finlayson missing two snaps in a minute
  • Farrell with the most obvious deliberate of all time. Knock it through the goals ffs
  • Farrell with the sloppiest of sloppy tackles on Daicos 20 out from goal
  • Farrell missing a sitter mark with a minute left

If only one of these things is different, we win.

These are the Ebert smother, the Duursma dropped mark, the Hartlett deliberate that we rue leaving the ground.

The Farrell deliberate. I just don't know what he was thinking there. There's three options the way I saw it:
  • You try and keep the ball in and cop the tackle. You risk holding the ball. Maybe 50% chance it goes against us
  • You knock it through the points and risk deliberate behind, maybe 25% chance it goes against us
  • You clearly knock it over the boundary line. 1000000% it goes against us.

s**t decision making.

Lachie Jones had a great month or so there. But after getting 4 goals kicked on him in about 2 minutes against Carlton, and whatever it is he was doing tonight, he's had a real dirty two games now. You can't fly up for a spoil/mark, completely miss the ball and take out your own player. Twice. Idiocy.

I'm sure i'll get called a simp again but I thought McEntee was ok tonight. His chasing, harrassing and pressure I thought was pretty significant. I think his pressure was definitely worth a couple goals for us tonight. Does Fantasia play better? Maybe. If he doesn't ping a calf. But Fantasia is definitely not chasing like Jed did. Maybe if we had DBJ out there we win.

JHF had some great play in the second half, but his first half stunk. Wines looked 38yo out there tonight. Duursma's opponents in the first quarter absolutely destroyed him but he came back well and played a real solid game. Drew was bloody good, as was Rioli.

Was hoping we either won or lost big. At least if you lose big you know you aren't good enough. Here, it's that pesky ******* grey area again.
You really shouldn’t lose a game that you keep the opponent to 44 inside 50s. Notwithstanding the fact that they kicked out their a##.

Last edited:
You played better on the night and thought you were harder generally at the ground balls. Rozee great, Houston very good and SPP great. Butters attack on the footy is insanity for a man of his size. A truly remarkable footballer.

For those of you who hate Hinkley, you can't be wrong. Either he wins the big games this year and as fans you will be delirious, or he doesn't and you can say told you so. From my view you're clearly going in a new direction with new, young, very impressive players. And as our Malthouse experience shows, it's not always a good thing to shake up the team when its heading in the right direction. I know head coaches carry baggage, but they should also get better over time too.

It may not be this year, it still might be, but that Drew, JHF, Butters and Rozee mix should take you very far in the next 4-6 years.

It wasn't luck, Jamie Elliott was kicking gals from the boundary line whilst we had guys missing regulation goals.
It wasn’t luck but it’s incredibly rare to see a team come to AO or the old footy park and kick for goal like they did.

I’ve been going to games since the mid 80s and not seen a team kick like that.
I doubt they’ll come here and ever Kick like that again.

It wasn’t luck but it’s incredibly rare to see a team come to AO or the old footy park and kick for goal like they did.

I’ve been going to games since the mid 80s and not seen a team kick like that.
I doubt they’ll come here and ever Kick like that again.

Marshall, Finlayson, Rioli all missed easy set shots, I’d rather we just kick those - because if we kicked one of those we win.

But we didn’t and they took their opportunities.

Goal kicking was the actual difference in this game. Jamie Elliot nailed them. I can think of easy misses to Marshall, Drew and Rioli that my dead grandmother could kick

Finlayson missed some easy ones. We seem to have this manic style of getting goals and constantly miss the east shots.

If we don’t sort that it will be a problem at the end of the year.

If we don’t sort that it will be a problem at the end of the year.

I'm following the team since 2017, and this issue precedes me.

We won't sort that.

You played better on the night and thought you were harder generally at the ground balls. Rozee great, Houston very good and SPP great. Butters attack on the footy is insanity for a man of his size. A truly remarkable footballer.

For those of you who hate Hinkley, you can't be wrong. Either he wins the big games this year and as fans you will be delirious, or he doesn't and you can say told you so. From my view you're clearly going in a new direction with new, young, very impressive players. And as our Malthouse experience shows, it's not always a good thing to shake up the team when its heading in the right direction. I know head coaches carry baggage, but they should also get better over time too.

It may not be this year, it still might be, but that Drew, JHF, Butters and Rozee mix should take you very far in the next 4-6 years.
Just to counter this, Bucks made a grand final before being let go a year later, so your Bucks/McRae experience surely shows the shake up works

Just finished it, hell of a game of football.

We lost this one with those missed shots in the 2nd and 3rd. Todd's from 20m odd out in particular was absolutely brutal. When you have the run of play against Collingwood you simply have to make every shot count. We gave our forwards much better looks over the game but Collingwood's forwards just made gold from shit - Josh Daicos on the boundary, Elliott from similar, nerves of steel and made the most of their opportunities. It was the only difference in a game in which by most metrics we were probably a little better.

Effort was there all game though and you can't fault that, a little bit of luck and a bit more composure (lot of dropped marks in the last quarter too) and we win.

One I want to point out is Lachie Jones... had a big "almost" game. Has shown now without doubt he has the talent to be a premiership player, but silly errors from him probably cost us 3 goals. He'd be the one that really needs to spend a lot of time with the coaches afterwards to actually go through his decision-making in big moments. Looks really good at times, but when he goes bad its costly, and he can't afford to do that kind of stuff in a big final.

Another thing is this was the best umpired game I've seen us play this year. Genuinely down the line and let the players play for the most part. We've been hammered a lot this year (and have had a couple go our way) so I think its worth pointing it out when they actually do a good job, even if it seems like once in a blue moon.

Boak is down about 30% on his career stats this season in all areas. Time to give him the Tommy Jonas treatment - or at least 2 to 3 games off to see if he can rebuild for a final burst. I’d be happy to give Huge Jackson a run, or slot Williams back in with Bergman pushing on to the wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way too much focus on umpiring decisions in this forum. Can we just accept that Collingwood were better, and we weren’t?

Missed spoils, dropped marks, poor tackling, panic disposals, & average goal kicking were the reasons we lost.

On top of that, Darcy Moore lead from the front, Wines didn’t.

Game over.

As Tredders said after the game, we would have beaten 16 other teams tonight. As far as I'm concerned, there was one deciding factor: they had Jamie Elliott, and we didn't. The ice in that bloke's veins is extraordinary.

If we bring that effort against Adelaide and Geelong, we'll be bloody hard to beat.
Good point, the only way we can win the next two is with the right mindset and not with goal kicking as dodgy as the current clowns chairman.

Xavier Duursma , boak and wines aren't good enough to be starting premiership players

There skills are so deplorable and it's just 3 player types that failed in 2013-2021 finals

That was a great game of football, worthy of a grand final. Craig Macare said it was the best game he has been involved in during the past 2 years.

We lost by 2 points to the clear number 1 side in the competition with an extraordinary kick from the boundary from a questionable mark. As Macrae said, it was a result that came down to moments in a game.

Am I shattered at losing, of course. But we have to take the good things out of that game, work on what we can do better and keep pushing on to get the highest ladder position we can.

Bergman came back into some form.

I liked most of what Lachie did, he seems very confident in his body now

Willie Rioli, welcome back. Super small forward game.

Willem Drew, 16 tackles and limited Daicos's influence

Rozee, Butters and Houston just look so good

Burton looked more like the reliable attacking defender that he can be

Peps was a force of nature again

JHF is a unique talent. He's going to be so important in coming years as he builds fitness and experience. Another competitive beast and exceptional talent.
Agree with all that except Burton. Thought he was very soft 2nite & too many disposal errors. Shadow of the player he was at his best for us.

Last edited:
Boak is down about 30% on his career stats this season in all areas. Time to give him the Tommy Jonas treatment - or at least 2 to 3 games off to see if he can rebuild for a final burst. I’d be happy to give Huge Jackson a run, or slot Williams back in with Bergman pushing on to the wing.
Problem for Boak is he's not a starting mid anymore in this side & he struggles in other roles and always has.

Agree with all that except Burton. Thought he was very soft 2nite & too many disposal errors. Shadow of the player he atm compared with his best.
With 22 disposals and a game high 742 metres gained Burton (AkA The General) gave us a heap of drive from the back and could have kicked a couple himself. It was a dogshit decision to drop him and bring Jonas in last week

That was a great game of football, worthy of a grand final. Craig Macare said it was the best game he has been involved in during the past 2 years.

We lost by 2 points to the clear number 1 side in the competition with an extraordinary kick from the boundary from a questionable mark. As Macrae said, it was a result that came down to moments in a game.

Am I shattered at losing, of course. But we have to take the good things out of that game, work on what we can do better and keep pushing on to get the highest ladder position we can.

Bergman came back into some form.

I liked most of what Lachie did, he seems very confident in his body now

Willie Rioli, welcome back. Super small forward game.

Willem Drew, 16 tackles and limited Daicos's influence

Rozee, Butters and Houston just look so good

Burton looked more like the reliable attacking defender that he can be

Peps was a force of nature again

JHF is a unique talent. He's going to be so important in coming years as he builds fitness and experience. Another competitive beast and exceptional talent.
We definitely gave them plenty to think about. Yes there's a number of things we could have done better, but we stamped ourselves as a worthy challenger. It'll be tough to play them at the MCG in September, but if we play like that again, we'll give ourselves every chance of reversing last night's result.

At one point last night, I even saw Scott Pendlebury fumble. He's a great player, but he's not immune to feeling extreme heat when the pressure is applied.

Hey all - just wanted to drop in and give some two cents.

Given how insanely good Collingwood have been this year, that game should give you some confidence that you can keep up with the best until the final siren. Games like that are always a coin toss in the dying minutes. Collingwood got away with one there. A few unlucky little moments, like your dropped mark on the 50 in the dying minute, or the incorrect disposal free that wasn't paid to you on the wing in the last 20 seconds.

You guys should at least make the GF this season. I'm expecting Port will probably belt us in a couple of weeks, but maybe there's a chance it'll be a good close game.

He was let go 3 years later.
True, that covid season really mucked around my memory.

Still though - he got further than Ken Hinkley has ever gotten in 11 years yet was let go anyway to bring a new voice to the playing group and as a result Collingwood was incredibly unlucky not to win a flag last year and are flag favourites this year.

End of the day the big question that only our club will know is to what extent is this season's performance for Port Adelaide due to Ken Hinkley changing things up, and to what extent is it the changes to the other coaches, in particular the hiring of Josh Carr. I suspect everyone thinks its moreso the latter and as a result we should make the change.

Xavier Duursma , boak and wines aren't good enough to be starting premiership players

There skills are so deplorable and it's just 3 player types that failed in 2013-2021 finals
Harsh on Duurs. He's only just gotten back and had a much better game than the week before. Still an asset but just needs to spend an extended run not being injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 19, 2023 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back