Review Round 19, 2023 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest missed opportunity to put to bed the idea that no lead is safe against Collingwood. Had we been able to hold on it would've given us and others a lot of confidence.

Really liked most of Lachie Jones game. Unfortunately his errors are costly, as most backline mistakes are, but I think with more experience he will be an excellent player for us in the coming years.
Yeah Lachie had two glaring errors plus the miscommunication with Dan but plenty of errors out there and missed chances across the board. We want our defenders going in and intercepting marks and spoiling as the third man up, he made more than he missed, hopefully him and Bergman will make an awesome duo coming across in the years ahead.

Its interesting when we win, we associate it with Carr say he's the "one in charge" and disregard Hinkley but when we lose we blame it on Hinkley.
I just don't see the logic in this...
Disappointing loss... but you cant blame the coach for players fumbling, not able to handle pressure in our defense and missing set shots

No it was called before he stepped into the field of play. The mark is on the boundary line
Yes that right it was before he stepped into play but it's still the same.

You can't go past the mark while staying out of bounds, otherwise you have played on out of bounds and it is a throw in.

But I don't know if he actually did that, buts it's the only explanation for what ocurred

Darcy Cameron had 20 hit outs to advantage. His previous best was 13. Put in a decent ruck like Hayes and you get a different result.

Hayes is not a decent ruck but I agree Lycett is finished.

So much loser talk on here. Proud of the boys, just lost to the best team in the comp. * off. We should have won that game by 3 or 4 goals. Weak as piss when it mattered. Missing easy goals is sapping. As I said our lack of killer instinct is a direct reflection on the piece of s**t head coach. The guy is a born loser.
Interesting you start your statement criticising loser talk then go on with it yourself. We all know there is a soft underbelly in our player group which Ken endorses.

We really need to look at mongrel qualities during future recruitments as we don't do enough to rough up the opposition to put them off their game.

Also Lachie Jones isn’t far off. He has traits that we hate others for their lack of, like lack of pace and aggression, I think give him two more years and he’s a lite version of Quaynor. Will rarely lose a 1on1 regardless of size and be a weapon moving forward. Was sceptical earlier this year but now all in on his output.

Yes that right it was before he stepped into play but it's still the same.

You can't go past the mark while staying out of bounds, otherwise you have played on out of bounds and it is a throw in.

But I don't know if he actually did that, buts it's the only explanation for what ocurred

Read what I wrote again. The mark is on the boundary line so what you are suggesting isn’t possible.

Read what I wrote again. The mark is on the boundary line so what you are suggesting isn’t possible.
No, it is very possible. That mark is on the boundary line, but you can still run past the mark whilst staying out of bounds. You don't enter the field of play before the mark = throw in.

It's pretty simple to understand...

Darcy Cameron had 20 hit outs to advantage. His previous best was 13. Put in a decent ruck like Hayes and you get a different result.

Lol lycett, teakle and visentini keep setting new low bars of shitness, and we keep ignoring Sam Hayes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its interesting when we win, we associate it with Carr say he's the "one in charge" and disregard Hinkley but when we lose we blame it on Hinkley.
Disappointing loss... but you cant blame the coach for players fumbling, not able to handle pressure in our defense and missing set shots
You’re on BF, logic isn’t a thing. I just assumed Josh had taken the last two weeks off. Don’t worry he’ll be back when we win our next game. 😂

I missed the game to do SAHMRI’s 15km fundraising BRIGHT walk which was a great event despite the rain and cold.

Could tell from the lack of cheers coming from Adelaide Oval after 9:30 that the game was not necessarily finishing our way.

More than a bit gutted to see the final result after seeing the 3QT score. I agree that it was an opportunity lost to sew up a top two spot and give ourselves the belief that we could hold onto a third quarter lead of some substance against them.

I’d be dissecting how we handed back momentum at the beginning of the last, e.g., what happened in centre square, and why couldn’t our players stop some of those inside 50m plays - eg the lead up to McCreerie’s kick to Hill, not to mention Farrell’s ginormous brain fade to not rush the behind, and Jones’ string of three goal-costing blues. You only need to watch the highlights to realise that Jones’ mistakes were extremely costly.

We still rely on too few guys IMO. Clearly not getting enough, or even anything tbh, out of Wines and Boak. That they haven’t been up to helping Butters, Rozee and Drew is a massive issue.

I’ll also point out what is blatantly obvious. We’ve wasted time on the wrong ruckmen : Lycett and Teakle.

It’s not too late for someone to see the light. None of our listed rucks are good enough to have an influence around the ground, let alone in big finals. So pick the one who might give us some advantage from stoppage. Give Hayes five weeks and let him carry us through September.

Key changes:
DBJ for Evans
Strongly look at Fantasia or Narkle for McEntee, but the Jed’s pressure needs to be replicated by whoever comes in.
Hayes for Lycett.
Look seriously at Jackson for Wines. Wines needs some sore of circuit breaker to get something out of this year for him. Huge disappointment.

Last edited:
Hey all - just wanted to drop in and give some two cents.

Given how insanely good Collingwood have been this year, that game should give you some confidence that you can keep up with the best until the final siren. Games like that are always a coin toss in the dying minutes. Collingwood got away with one there. A few unlucky little moments, like your dropped mark on the 50 in the dying minute, or the incorrect disposal free that wasn't paid to you on the wing in the last 20 seconds.

You guys should at least make the GF this season. I'm expecting Port will probably belt us in a couple of weeks, but maybe there's a chance it'll be a good close game.

Not at cat park, we haven't won there since cassisi I think in 2007. Expecting a 6 goal loss.

Composure and handling key moments is probably the #1 job of the coach.

Even moreso when that coach isnt doing strategy from the box.

Just watched the Hinkley post game presser. His glass half full approach and blind optimism is exactly why he needs to be replaced. He has conflated the idea of a one goal loss in a game that could have gone either way as being just as meritorious as winning that same game by a goal.

They're doing a lot right, and to suggest otherwise would be ignorantly foolish. But there's a killer instinct that this team lacks which all of the top teams in history have. And until they can fix that (and imo they won't fix it under Ken) they are going to be forever the bridesmaid.

We’ve shown more killer instinct and clutch play this year than any year i can remember since the old Magpies days. Sydney, Dogs, Saints, Melbourne, Essendon were all big clutch wins. We kicked a goal from 55 basically on the boundary a few weeks ago to win.

Losing to what is the best clutch team the AFL has ever seen by 2 points doesnt change that. We absolutely have to beat Adelaide and Geelong now though

Hayes is not a decent ruck but I agree Lycett is finished.

Hayes is prime Dean Cox compared to the other options currently on our list.

Darcy Cameron is a good ruckman, but he had 103 Supercoach points more than Lycett last night to be the highest scoring player on the ground.

but he's their coach

We were a ruck & KPD short coming into the season & we are still a ruck & KPD short approaching finals. Cripps will need to pull some more rabbits out of the hat this off season with very little draft capital, if we are to become a legitimate contender next year.

At this stage, we definitely sit behind Collingwood & Melbourne if all teams are at full strength, & probably break even with Brisbane.

100% a choke and a disgraceful one at that given the chances we let go begging, but I'm not going to join in the bedwetting and act like there was nothing positive to take away from that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 19, 2023 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back