Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Saints v Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

A good win even if it was against ordinary opposition.

Enjoyable to watch us kicking 17 goals instead of our usual unenjoyable grind where we struggle to kick 10 goals.

Membrey the standout, great to see him bounce back with 5 goals and getting some "me time" from the media as Wilkie said.

Goed to see Hill getting a good send off for his 250th game too, our team spirit still looks good despite our position on the ladder.

The only real negative was the injury to Henry, hopefully it is more of a short term injury than a long term one.

Watching the footage on Kayo, Why does Higgins look so frustrated or mad after the game?
He worked really hard that game and it's probably a mix of feeling knackered and maybe not getting as much reward for the amount of effort he put in. His forward defensive efforts were right up there and probablyly resulted in quite a few scoring opportunities and turnovers.

My first thought for Stocks on that footage in the rooms, was how good is it that a young bloke who has opened himself up on his mental health issues now looks so happy. I'm really happy for him.

We built a club full of great people. They might just be the shoulders on which greatness is reached one day by our kids.

Was good to see us finally go on with it and bury a team rather than protecting a 3 goal lead and keeping them in it.

With that said, you're very unlikely to ever come up against an AFL team as bad as the Eagles tonight.

Membrey was excellent - I'm happy for Skunk and would love to say that he and Jones are back now, but we need to see it against decent opposition. Maybe this was a turning point or maybe we just looked good compared to VFL level opposition.

It was pretty funny seeing Nas and Garcia lining up at a few centre bounces with Steele and Ro. That's how little respect Ross has for WC.

We need to do everything in our power to convince Battle stay. Him along with Wilkie and Howard when all fully fit is actually a great defensive unit.

Now putting Essendon away and seriously messing with their chance of making finals would be something I could really enjoy from this season.

First time in a while when we have thrashed someone. Especially the Wet Toast. We have been inflicted a few by them over the years. Don’t feel sorry for them one bit.

When I lived in Perth in the late eighties I watched us get murdered on a horrible rainy night at the WACA. Their supporters aren’t much fun to be around.

We actually should have got 3 or 4 more goals at least. Some pretty ordinary delivery at times. And rushing too much. A bit more poise and class required.

Hopefully that gives us a bit of impetus and confidence to play the Bombers next week. It would be truly lovely to knock them off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Highly unlikely from that type of contact. Most likely bone bruising or at worst PCL. Then again I'm no doctor ...

What's that though, 4 weeks? Hardly a bold statement by them.

Great to win in a big way, but hard to gauge against a POS team like WCE. Happy to see Tim look full of energy in slotting 5 goals, lots of good efforts and I thought Jones did a good job in the midfield and probably not ready to write him off yet. We just need to sort out that disposal going forward- still a big team problem. Let's hope the form carries on to next week.

I haven't seen the replay, so this is potentially more of a general question if the Henry incident proves to be innocuous.

But, my question would be if you choose to bump and you injure your opponent - should that be a suspension? Or does the AFL only care if it could affect them via a concussion lawsuit?

Triple M was saying season over for Henry.

But no mention of ACL 🤞

If it's a medial knee injury that would be about 6 weeks out which would be the end of his season.

That would be a much better result than an ACL which would rule him out for most of next season as well.

Still disappointing to lose so many of our best 22 players to injury again like King, Windhager, Phillipou and Henry.

We just never seem to be able to get our best 22 players on the park or even close to it, if we ever do then look out.

He worked really hard that game and it's probably a mix of feeling knackered and maybe not getting as much reward for the amount of effort he put in. His forward defensive efforts were right up there and probablyly resulted in quite a few scoring opportunities and turnovers.
He wouldn’t have liked getting a free within range of goal and the umpire calling advantage before Wood had even realised it was a free kick . Lucky it was a goal , but small forwards don’t like goal chances being taken away . I remember Milne being angry all through the second half for a similar situation. He even said it during the interview after the game and even though he was laughing about it you know he was pissed lol.

Brought the pressure and ultimately a good confidence boosting win notwithstanding some awful kicking for a 10 minute period. You can only beat what’s out there but WCE are woeful so keeping things in perspective.

Better test next week against the Bombas but if we can bring the same pressure under the roof and play with some skill we can win.

Like Hugo’s few touches - doesn’t look out of place & expect him to be a regular next year.

Great to see Members play so well . He kicked 5 and gave a few away . Looked like his old self again . And I put my hand up and said Jones was done and shouldn’t be in the side , just shows what I know lol, good on him .
Also good to see Owens play his best game probably of the year , I know it was only West Coast but you can only play against who you are playing if that makes sense.

I haven't seen the replay, so this is potentially more of a general question if the Henry incident proves to be innocuous.

But, my question would be if you choose to bump and you injure your opponent - should that be a suspension? Or does the AFL only care if it could affect them via a concussion lawsuit?

It's the "second action" that would get the scrutiny.

Ryan did not intend to bump, he was running past, Stocker was doing the Sean Darcy thing of stumbling forward to eventually go prone. In seeing this, Ryan braced for contact, because that is what you do, and thus Stockers face met the wall that was Ryan's shoulder and hip connected in a brace for Stocker to then stay on the ground a bit before trotting off for the assessment.

So knowing MC and how much he shoots from the hip, a metric shit tonne will depend on if that double action of a bracing motion gets called an intended bump.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Saints v Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back