Preview Round 19 - Essendon VS Adelaide, Marvel, Friday 19/7/24, 7:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know Brad hates making lots of changes but I would still:

OUT: Heppell, Wright, Perkins
IN: Roberts, A Davey, Hobbs

Pretty sensible, Roberts to actually give us some run out of defense, Davey to give us some run up forward and Hobbs for Perkins to keep our inside game going.

Both Scott and Ben Jacobs said the players didn’t comply to their agreed approach against Melbourne. Didn’t stick to structures etc. You would think there will be some repercussions with the selection this week.

Hobbs was rested from the VFL after 3/4, so you’d think he’ll be playing for sure.
Geez

He had those stats in 3 qtrs? Get him in

Unlikely that we bring in any from the VFL game given they’d have a 5 day break. But Hobbs didn’t play the last so he might come in.

In: Hobbs, Laverde
Out: Cox, Heppell

We usually get Adelaide with pace and while Hobbs ain’t quick, we can’t afford to carry all of Draper/Wright/Jones/Caddy/Langford/Cox

OUT: Perkins, Cox, 2MP
IN: Hobbs, Lav, Goldy

Redman McKay Kelly
Ridley Lav McGrath
Martin Caldwell Duursma
Guelfi Jones Hind
Stringer Caddy Langford

Goldy Durham Merrett

Bench: Shiel Hobbs Heppell Draper
SUB: Gresham

Last edited:
Both Scott and Ben Jacobs said the players didn’t comply to their agreed approach against Melbourne. Didn’t stick to structures etc. You would think there will be some repercussions with the selection this week.

Hobbs was rested from the VFL after 3/4, so you’d think he’ll be playing for sure.
"...some selection repercussions..." is overstating it for me. Brad doesn't do 'some' changes. He might do one change. Other than that, I'd say he'll give them another opportunity to comply. If we lose to Adelaide it might be a different story.

Anyone who thinks the Crows will be easy because it's at Marvel is kidding themselves. They went down to the Lions by 9 points at the Gabba two weeks ago. Their recent form is much better than ours. And Rankine out is only going to cause others to rise to the occasion. They'll want to show they can do it without him, and they'll be looking to Melbourne's example that it's doable. I expect them to bring heat.

In: Hobbs, Laverde, Davey
Out: Perkins, Heppell, Cox

I've been for pumping games into Perkins and Cox but something has to give. J Davey may not be ready and Heppell probably stays in but the team is crying out for some spark up forward.

Out - Langford, Guelfi, Hind

In- Setterfield, Hobbs, Jayden Davey (sub)
Yes, let's drop our best forward and our best pressure forward for a midfielder who was average on Sunday and a small forward who doesn't tackle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Hobbs, Laverde, Davey
Out: Perkins, Heppell, Cox

I've been for pumping games into Perkins and Cox but something has to give. J Davey may not be ready and Heppell probably stays in but the team is crying out for some spark up forward.

Forward line is a bad combination of too short and too slow RN.

Worked best at the start of the year with Draper functioning as FF. With Goldy at Ruck.

Then injuries happened and the team got too tall.

Best 7 is probably
FF Draper
CHF ??? (Wright vs Caddy vs Cox)
3rd Langford
Pressure 1 Gresham
Pressure 2 Guelfi
Needs 1 extra medium or mid forward and one of wright/caddy/cox

Then a small pressure player off the bench

Yes, let's drop our best forward and our best pressure forward for a midfielder who was average on Sunday and a small forward who doesn't tackle.

I think Langford has been off the last month. Create a different look inside our 50 and see what happens. As for guelfi being our best pressure forward and brining in Davey instead, guelfi laid 3 tackles on the weekend.

Forward set up of
Gresham - Caddy - Perkins
Stringer - Wright - Cox
with Hobbs, Davey and a resting Merrett / Shiel rotating through is a better set up for me

I think Langford has been off the last month. Create a different look inside our 50 and see what happens. As for guelfi being our best pressure forward and brining in Davey instead, guelfi laid 3 tackles on the weekend.

Forward set up of
Gresham - Caddy - Perkins
Stringer - Wright - Cox
with Hobbs, Davey and a resting Merrett / Shiel rotating through is a better set up for me
Which is better than Davey's 0.

I'm dropping Wright and Stringer before Langford

I'd actually like to see a Cox and Caddy forward set up.

Out: Kelly, Heppell, Wright,
In: Roberts, Hobbs, Laverde

Perkins into Stringers spot Martin stays up forward Hobbs rotating through the middle Roberts down back with Laverde

I know this is a pipe dream though

Perkins into Stringers spot Martin stays up forward Hobbs rotating through the middle Roberts down back with Laverde

+1
Drop Wright. Let Cox chop out the ruck.

2 wins in our past 6 games, it's time for a freshen up/shake up.

Setterfield for Perkins
Roberts for Heppell
Laverde for Kelly
Davey (whichever brother is in better form) for Wright

Cox (or Jones) to second ruck. Cox forward, Hind back, Martin to the wing. Stringer sub - not producing enough, can't take an overhead mark at the moment, needs a rev up via sub.

The above adds pace/pressure (Roberts and Davey) and composure/strength (Setterfield and Laverde) versus those that are going out.

Hepp and Kelly aren't part of our future back 6, time to give Roberts a look and see what he can do.

VFL having a 5 day break I to this makes me think only Laverde, Goldstein and Hobbs (pulled at 3QT) are potential ins. I'm not convinced that Hobbs will play, but be the emergency that shuffles into being sub if there's a late change.

Please don’t be so ludicrous as to suggest we bring in in-form players and then play them in their natural positions.

VFL having a 5 day break I to this makes me think only Laverde, Goldstein and Hobbs (pulled at 3QT) are potential ins. I'm not convinced that Hobbs will play, but be the emergency that shuffles into being sub if there's a late change.

Finally, some hard earned reprieves for Laverde & Goldstein.

As long as it’s at the expense of Caddy, I can’t see what could possibly go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back