Game Day Round 19, Port Adelaide v Collingwood (23/7, 7.10pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1626946509620.png
1626948310999.png
Last Time
You really need reminding? It was just over two months ago. Even my Grandpa would recall it, and he’s currently sandbagging his unit at the nursing home waiting for the Cuban Missile Crisis to bring ‘sweet apocalypse’. In any case let me tell you that we were brave. Taylor Adams was handsome and fierce. Collingwood led for most of the game but could not hold off the second-half charge of players such as Boak, SPP, Wines and Robbie Gray. Dixon tried to kick his team out of the contest but fell short. We lost by a dismal point.

Prelude: Considerations of Power
This is the moment where the previewer offers waffle with a rather tenuous connection to the match itself. But really, it’s only a game of football which hasn’t been played yet, in a season we’d all rather forget, so how f****** much can you really say about it anyway? If you are one of those uptight ‘just stick to the footy, thanks’ types, please feel free to pass over a few paragraphs until you arrive at my fine-grained analysis.

For myself, the forlorn quest of the PAFC to assume the identity of the Collingwood Football Club is much more fascinating, even if I have nothing whatsoever original to contribute to the discussion.

Apropos of nothing in particular, here’s a little painting I’ve scrawled during this lovely lockdown we’re having:

1626946683507.png

Other people might say that it belongs to someone else, as if a Dutchman who hacked at his own ears could have produced such beauty. The more observant among you might see ‘Vincent’ scrawled on the vase. Vincent is my pet cockatoo.

Really, I simply want to reiterate that David Koch is a dickhead. He has the charisma of Angela Merkel on a double dose of Prozac. As the spluttering buffoon at the head of an imitation football club, he has long been honoured with the title of a ‘poor man’s Eddie McGuire’, although in latter days it seems that Ed might be looking to assume that title himself.

I’m told that charisma and good looks aren’t everything. All sorts of charmless and demented heads try and convince me of this, though I remain unconvinced. Still, I’m happy to explore ‘Kochie’ in deeper detail, beyond the superficial. Desperate for supporters, he has engineered the sale of his team to China. It was quite a feat of forward thinking and vision, playing games in front of 10,000+ spectators, some of whom might actually have been Chinese. The Chairman remains confident that the People’s Republic will resume its wild love affair with Port Adelaide once the pandemic slides into history. Those of you who read the news might have noted that China now has a rather ‘difficult’ relationship with Australian exports, not dissimilar to my ‘difficult’ relationship to dishevelled people selling religion on street corners, so we can confirm that this gimmick is another deadest loser.

Kochie has also managed to oversee an identity crisis. He has tried to pass himself off as an effectual leader, and he has also tried to position his Shanghai outfit as Magpies who should be robed in noble prison bars. Only on select occasions, he says, just a small concession, in the manner that Hitler told Chamberlain he’d be satisfied with the Sudetenland. It’s our heritage, he says. Well David, some social commentators in the distant past thought to observe similarities between the supporter groups of the Collingwood and Port Adelaide Magpies: they were both ‘rough-hewn’, possessed of a certain bawdiness, the ready manner of the industrial working class combined with the casual violence and jaunty indifference of the criminal classes. But you blokes dropped your shiv and the ball at the same time, when you turned teal and begged for entry into our competition. As the Power. With a lightening bolt as your emblem you lit up the sky, revealing quite clearly that Port is a disgrace to the black and white stripes. F*** off.

To complement my Shakespearian foray into the heart of darkness/self-indulgent tripe wrapped in balderdash, I’ve also crafted a poem. It’s a short composition which took a surprisingly long time to write. It is called Dickhead.

1626946797752.png

Those prison bars don’t belong to you, ya dickhead

You’ll never be Ed, ya egghead dickhead

You’re a dickhead.

(JB1975, 2021)​

Form: Port Adelaide
I haven’t been watching them assiduously, been busy painting and engaging my legal team in an effort to secure sole royalties to a song I wrote but was never credited for (you might know it…Smells Like Teen Spirit by ‘Nirvana’), but the Power are travelling okay. They’re in the top 4, and every once in a while since the bye they have managed to resemble a top 4 side. Their win against St Kilda last week wasn’t sexy, maybe it was even unsightly, but it was a solid effort from an injury-troubled side against a finals fancy.

Form: Collingwood
We’ve changed coach since we last played Port, and we’ve had a stirring win, but our form remains – how to put it delicately? – largely shit. We’ve had three losses since the bye, the worst of which was last week’s capitulation against Carlton. The younger players in a building team are allowed to have dodgy games, but the failure of the team’s leaders to offer resistance cannot be excused. I remain horrified.

Opposition: Disconnected Thoughts
Having successfully petitioned the AFL and SA government to let them flee the moribund town of Adelaide, Power will be playing a home game in Melbourne. That won’t bother them too much. They are a team heading towards the serious end of the season, vying for top 4, and they will see this as a chance to bolster their percentage. If they need any more incentive than that, they can look to their captain. Travis Boak plays his 300th game on Friday night, an impressive achievement by an impressive player.

I love Robbie Gray, but he can be a hurtful man when he plays Collingwood, so it’s a relief that he won’t be playing this week. Unfortunately, other weapons are on hand to wreak havoc upon us. Mitch Georgiades didn’t worry us too much last time, but he’s having a good season, while the return of Connor Rozee adds yet more firepower. Our cause won’t be helped by the sublime form of Ollie Wines. It was Port’s midfield which took them over the top of us last time, and it’s quite easy to see it gaining control of the game early and not letting go.

Path to Victory
I thought that a visual representation could best render our path to victory for this week.

1626946938453.png

That’s right, it’s an impenetrable forest, within which lurks a creature who looks forward to (playfully) removing our heads from our bodies.

Decapitation is actually one of the very few ailments which haven’t featured in our list of injuries, which is otherwise quite exhaustive. From last week we’ve lost Callum Brown, Josh Thomas, Chris Mayne and Will Hoskin-Elliott. Maybe none of these are short-list candidates for AA selection, but they compound injuries to other players (notably Howe and Moore) and force us to further explore the nether regions of our playing list.

But in a spirit of defiance and hope (and a touch of desperation), we welcome two debutants for Friday night. Jack Ginnivan will hope to replicate his fine VFL goal-kicking form, while Anton Tohill continues his journey from Ireland to AFL.

We were pummelled in clearances last week, and arguably lucky to lead the game for as long as we did. Could the return of Brayden Sier have helped to turn that around? Hard to say, but more certain is that we’ll all come to regret another week of wailing from TheGreatGrundy. Will Pendlebury play a more defensive role in the middle, to take the pressure off our waferish defence and to give our forwards a chance? Will Grundy give us one of his more herculean efforts, four quarters of grim determination and unstinting power, to lift the less talented and less experienced who surround him? Taylor Adams will launch himself like a cannonball like always, but can JDG actually manage to gain a clearance this week?

Not many among us would describe the Collingwood forward line as ‘potent’. The thing is, I’m a man with an expansive imagination, and I declare that –on its day– it can reasonably aspire to competence. Ollie Henry, Brodie Mihocek, Darcy Cameron and Jamie Elliott are capable of multiple goals, and Ginnivan has shown the same at a lower level. If the ball gets to them enough times, if it arrives to them with a semblance of system, then who knows what sort of magic may happen. And if the ball doesn’t exit our offensive half almost as soon as it gets there, like an exotic bird too frightened to be in one place for too long, there may well be miracles. We just need to control that exotic bird for a bit, hold it in, get some repeat inside 50 entries and boot it through for a few more goals.

The Result: Inevitable
I’ve done the hard yards of crafting the battle plan, all that remains is for the real black and white to put this sophisticated formulation into practice and bring us the glory. We’re a young list, almost heartbreakingly inexperienced, filled with ‘try’ more than talent.

That’s why it’ll get done by less than three goals instead of ten.

Pies by 17 points.

Last Time
You really need reminding? It was just over two months ago. Even my Grandpa would recall it, and he’s currently sandbagging his unit at the nursing home waiting for the Cuban Missile Crisis to bring ‘sweet apocalypse’. In any case let me tell you that we were brave. Taylor Adams was handsome and fierce. Collingwood led for most of the game but could not hold off the second-half charge of players such as Boak, SPP, Wines and Robbie Gray. Dixon tried to kick his team out of the contest but fell short. We lost by a dismal point.

This is the moment where the previewer offers waffle with a rather tenuous connection to the match itself. But really, it’s only a game of football which hasn’t been played yet, in a season we’d all rather forget, so how f****** much can you really say about it anyway? If you are one of those uptight ‘just stick to the footy, thanks’ types, please feel free to pass over a few paragraphs until you arrive at my fine-grained analysis.

For myself, the forlorn quest of the PAFC to assume the identity of the Collingwood Football Club is much more fascinating, even if I have nothing whatsoever original to contribute to the discussion.

Apropos of nothing in particular, here’s a little painting I’ve scrawled during this lovely lockdown we’re having:

View attachment 1183960

Other people might say that it belongs to someone else, as if a Dutchman who hacked at his own ears could have produced such beauty. The more observant among you might see ‘Vincent’ scrawled on the vase. Vincent is my pet cockatoo.

Really, I simply want to reiterate that David Koch is a dickhead. He has the charisma of Angela Merkel on a double dose of Prozac. As the spluttering buffoon at the head of an imitation football club, he has long been honoured with the title of a ‘poor man’s Eddie McGuire’, although in latter days it seems that Ed might be looking to assume that title himself.

I’m told that charisma and good looks aren’t everything. All sorts of charmless and demented heads try and convince me of this, though I remain unconvinced. Still, I’m happy to explore ‘Kochie’ in deeper detail, beyond the superficial. Desperate for supporters, he has engineered the sale of his team to China. It was quite a feat of forward thinking and vision, playing games in front of 10,000+ spectators, some of whom might actually have been Chinese. The Chairman remains confident that the People’s Republic will resume its wild love affair with Port Adelaide once the pandemic slides into history. Those of you who read the news might have noted that China now has a rather ‘difficult’ relationship with Australian exports, not dissimilar to my ‘difficult’ relationship to dishevelled people selling religion on street corners, so we can confirm that this gimmick is another deadest loser.

Kochie has also managed to oversee an identity crisis. He has tried to pass himself off as an effectual leader, and he has also tried to position his Shanghai outfit as Magpies who should be robed in noble prison bars. Only on select occasions, he says, just a small concession, in the manner that Hitler told Chamberlain he’d be satisfied with the Sudetenland. It’s our heritage, he says. Well David, some social commentators in the distant past thought to observe similarities between the supporter groups of the Collingwood and Port Adelaide Magpies: they were both ‘rough-hewn’, possessed of a certain bawdiness, the ready manner of the industrial working class combined with the casual violence and jaunty indifference of the criminal classes. But you blokes dropped your shiv and the ball at the same time, when you turned teal and begged for entry into our competition. As the Power. With a lightening bolt as your emblem you lit up the sky, revealing quite clearly that Port is a disgrace to the black and white stripes. F*** off.

To complement my Shakespearian foray into the heart of darkness/self-indulgent tripe wrapped in balderdash, I’ve also crafted a poem. It’s a short composition which took a surprisingly long time to write. It is called Dickhead.

View attachment 1183962

You’re a dickhead.

(JB1975, 2021)​

I haven’t been watching them assiduously, been busy painting and engaging my legal team in an effort to secure sole royalties to a song I wrote but was never credited for (you might know it…Smells Like Teen Spirit by ‘Nirvana’), but the Power are travelling okay. They’re in the top 4, and every once in a while since the bye they have managed to resemble a top 4 side. Their win against St Kilda last week wasn’t sexy, maybe it was even unsightly, but it was a solid effort from an injury-troubled side against a finals fancy.

We’ve changed coach since we last played Port, and we’ve had a stirring win, but our form remains – how to put it delicately? – largely sh*t. We’ve had three losses since the bye, the worst of which was last week’s capitulation against Carlton. The younger players in a building team are allowed to have dodgy games, but the failure of the team’s leaders to offer resistance cannot be excused. I remain horrified.

Having successfully petitioned the AFL and SA government to let them flee the moribund town of Adelaide, Power will be playing a home game in Melbourne. That won’t bother them too much. They are a team heading towards the serious end of the season, vying for top 4, and they will see this as a chance to bolster their percentage. If they need any more incentive than that, they can look to their captain. Travis Boak plays his 300th game on Friday night, an impressive achievement by an impressive player.

I love Robbie Gray, but he can be a hurtful man when he plays Collingwood, so it’s a relief that he won’t be playing this week. Unfortunately, other weapons are on hand to wreak havoc upon us. Mitch Georgiades didn’t worry us too much last time, but he’s having a good season, while the return of Connor Rozee adds yet more firepower. Our cause won’t be helped by the sublime form of Ollie Wines. It was Port’s midfield which took them over the top of us last time, and it’s quite easy to see it gaining control of the game early and not letting go.

Path to Victory
I thought that a visual representation could best render our path to victory for this week.

View attachment 1183965

That’s right, it’s an impenetrable forest, within which lurks a creature who looks forward to (playfully) removing our heads from our bodies.

Decapitation is actually one of the very few ailments which haven’t featured in our list of injuries, which is otherwise quite exhaustive. From last week we’ve lost Callum Brown, Josh Thomas, Chris Mayne and Will Hoskin-Elliott. Maybe none of these are short-list candidates for AA selection, but they compound injuries to other players (notably Howe and Moore) and force us to further explore the nether regions of our playing list.

But in a spirit of defiance and hope (and a touch of desperation), we welcome two debutants for Friday night. Jack Ginnivan will hope to replicate his fine VFL goal-kicking form, while Anton Tohill continues his journey from Ireland to AFL.

We were pummelled in clearances last week, and arguably lucky to lead the game for as long as we did. Could the return of Brayden Sier have helped to turn that around? Hard to say, but more certain is that we’ll all come to regret another week of wailing from TheGreatGrundy. Will Pendlebury play a more defensive role in the middle, to take the pressure off our waferish defence and to give our forwards a chance? Will Grundy give us one of his more herculean efforts, four quarters of grim determination and unstinting power, to lift the less talented and less experienced who surround him? Taylor Adams will launch himself like a cannonball like always, but can JDG actually manage to gain a clearance this week?

Not many among us would describe the Collingwood forward line as ‘potent’. The thing is, I’m a man with an expansive imagination, and I declare that –on its day– it can reasonably aspire to competence. Ollie Henry, Brodie Mihocek, Darcy Cameron and Jamie Elliott are capable of multiple goals, and Ginnivan has shown the same at a lower level. If the ball gets to them enough times, if it arrives to them with a semblance of system, then who knows what sort of magic may happen. And if the ball doesn’t exit our offensive half almost as soon as it gets there, like an exotic bird too frightened to be in one place for too long, there may well be miracles. We just need to control that exotic bird for a bit, hold it in, get some repeat inside 50 entries and boot it through for a few more goals.

I’ve done the hard yards of crafting the battle plan, all that remains is for the real black and white to put this sophisticated formulation into practice and bring us the glory. We’re a young list, almost heartbreakingly inexperienced, filled with ‘try’ more than talent.

Pies by 17 points.
Fantastic, I was spellbound through all paragraphs. You didn't let me down.

Not sure I agree with the last line though.

Last Time

View attachment 1183960

View attachment 1183962

You’re a dickhead.

(JB1975, 2021)​

We’ve changed coach since we last played Port, and we’ve had a stirring win, but our form remains – how to put it delicately? – largely sh*t. We’ve had three losses since the bye, the worst of which was last week’s capitulation against Carlton. The younger players in a building team are allowed to have dodgy games, but the failure of the team’s leaders to offer resistance cannot be excused. I remain horrified.

Path to Victory

View attachment 1183965

Pies by 17 points.
Brilliant work.
Although your painting looks so amateurish, it’s good we have a lockdown for you to keep practicing.. if you want, I’ll buy that one off you. I’ll give you enough for a brand new roll of canvas, some brushes and some paint to help you along😛

This is the finest of previews, and we've had some slick work to date.

You have exposed your vindictive side JB. You made it very clear that the pic of Jeanne Pratt in last week's preview was "unpalatable". Today you return serve with a pic of SA's biggest dighead in yours. Well played good sir, well played.

Kochie is the right leader for that club. He is the leader they deserve.

The CFC will be out to prove itself after last week's humiliation but I hesitate that our depleted side will not be able to give Port the thrashing they so deserve.

Pies by 11 points in a tight one. Ginnivan to kick 2 on debut.

EDIT: Until I read "Dickhead" Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken" was my fave poem.

Last Time

View attachment 1183960

View attachment 1183962

You’re a dickhead.

(JB1975, 2021)​

Path to Victory

View attachment 1183965

Pies by 17 points.

You magnificent bastard. I will now have to use "rough-hewn" in all future erotic literature.

That ode to Lochie is economically written, but an elegant reminder of what he is and the club he presides over. Thank you JB.

They are pretenders. Work themselves up into a lather over some black stripes on a white background. Something to do with their pathetic history as a struggling footy club in a maritime backwater that no one has ever heard of. Get over it.

In fact we’ll help them get over it by winning by 10 goals tomorrow. Then they can sook about that too.

Desperate for supporters, he has engineered the sale of his team to China. It was quite a feat of forward thinking and vision, playing games in front of 10,000+ spectators, some of whom might actually have been Chinese.​

I can assure you that it was all expats.

During the first one, I'm not sure if it was the AFL or Port who had stuffed up the negotiations, but on the morning of the game, food vendors with exclusive rights for the game rocked up to offer their wares, a different group of vendors who had exclusive rights to sell food and drinks at the stadium rocked up too. A stand off ensued, before the AFL/Port and the stadium owners came to a cunning compromise. Both exclusive rights remained intact, because noone sold anything inside the stadium, not even water.

So on a hot Shanghai day, large sections of the crowd, who had arrived in various stages of pissed, missed much of the game as they were outside the stadium, clearing out local convenience stores of their supplies of beer, water and chips.

It was a fun day though.

Last edited:
I can assure you that it was all expats.

During the first one, I'm not sure if it was the AFL or Port who had stuffed up the negotiations, but on the morning of the game, food vendors with exclusive rights for the game rocked up to offer their wares, a different group of vendors who had exclusive rights to sell food and drinks at the stadium rocked up too. A stand off ensued, before the AFL/Port and the stadium owners came to a cunning compromise. Both exclusive rights remained intact, because noone sold anything inside the stadium, not even water.

So on a hot Shanghai day, large sections of the crowd, who had arrived in various stages of pissed, missed much of the game as they were outside the stadium, clearing out local convenience stores of their supplies of beer, water and chips.

It was a fun day though.

Those games feel very historical now.

Those games feel very historical now.
To be honest, there was a drunken looseness that made it feel like historical VFL at the time too, but without the passion or much of the crowd caring who won.

The toilets had a very Vic Park feel and smell too.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excited by all the youth out there. IMO that’s the way it should be week in, week out

Injury has forced the selectors hand somewhat but history won’t care to remember if the pies lost 5 games by 12 points or under in 2021...or whether they lost them all by 30 points plus

So the win or loss matters little to me tonight. Just hoping to see the better ball movement and solid performances from the kids.

Ruscoe and Henry showed us last week they were potentially long term players... hopefully Ginnivan and Tohill can do the same this week

Brilliant stuff JB! All the mystique regarding this gameday thread (Will it happen? Where will it be? Will it be moved to Saturday? etc.) only added to the suspenseful build up. Masterpiece!

You had me hooked with:
David Koch is a dickhead. He has the charisma of Angela Merkel on a double dose of Prozac.

I dips me lid to you JB1975 .
The economy of prose in the dickhead poem...
Move over Bob Dylan. Positively Lulie Street.
Not confident about tonight.
Just wanting to see guts and determination.
A win will have me pouring Shanghai slings!

My dear JB1975 that was a vintage preview and I thank you sir.

Your prose harks back to the memorable 'Idiot Box' from 1996 where Jeremy Sims' Mick was heard to exclaim:-

'I've got a poem for ya. "You are an idiot, You are a bitch, You shit me to tears, ...I'm goin' down the pub."'

I hold no hope for victory, only that the young squad out there makes their own fun in front of goal and no-one gets injured.

Collingwood social media out here talking like we're the "baby mags"

View attachment 1184232
Young side, yes, but maybe not as young as they'd like us to believe. Very poorly skewed in experience 😢
Our side looks like when the kindergarten has an excursion to the nursing home.

Young side, yes, but maybe not as young as they'd like us to believe. Very poorly skewed in experience 😢

Definitely young in experience, if you change the games played bracket to <= 10

Port: 1
Collingwood: 7

Our games played/age profile is definitely wack though compared to Port :(

Despite my earlier prediction, I feel a hammering of biblical proportions coming on.

But as others have stated, let the kids have some fun, and may more of the senior players turn up for work this week.

View attachment 1184232
I did this on twitter, but..

Games experience. 12 under 40 games. 6 under 30.

Tohil – 0
Ruscoe – 9
Quaynor – 32
Poulter – 10
Noble – 39
Murphy – 13
Madgen – 35
Macrae – 5
Ollie – 5
Ginnivan – 0
Cameron – 24
Bianco - 7