Preview Round 2 2018, Brisbane Lions vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both teams base their game around contested footy. Should be a good contest. Problem is if we don't get the footy first we really struggle and this is why I am a bit concerned. Need to learn from the Cats last week.

I get what you are saying dlanod and mean no disrespect to McStay, but during that period he has also had numerous forays forward for significant periods in games for little or no return. When was the last time he played forward and kicked 3 or 4 goals, because that is what we need a Key Position Forward to do week in and week out. There is a saying in sport that you are only as good as your last game, well all I am saying is let’s look at the last two seasons, during which he had been tried as a forward plenty of times, the most recent being last weekend. I actually really like McStay and see him as a fantastic spoiling and running defender in the mould of Laurie Serafini. I would like to see him selected as a defender every week. In defence he and Andrews are my first two picked. I just don’t think he is being played in the right position if he is played forward.
Serafini was not an aerialist,of McStay's ability.The player McStay most obviously resembles,is Gary Pert,who was brilliant in the air ,until his knee injuries, and was a beautiful kick.I think McStay is the best kick on our list.

Edit: BTW absolutely agree the the NEAFL is a joke and contributes to our lack of depth. Unless the AFL fund a second tier competition with some of the better teams from Victoria as well can't see it improving.
Is the NEAFL responsible for the Swans lack of depth or the Giants lack of depth? Not aware that they have depth issues, yet their developing players play in the same comp. This is the competition in which Tom Mitchell developed and look at him now... the NEAFL is fairly different this year anyway with the AFL clubs playing each other 4 times. We only play the non-AFL clubs once... at least 3 of those NT. Syd Uni and Aspley will give us good competition, possibly all of the 6. Redland should be stronger this year as well. Many of our ex-players... Freemann, Hammelmann, O'Brien etc are playing NEAFL. It has to be improving and is not the basket case that many seem to believe. Players can now be drafted from the NEAFL to the AFL, as Oskar Baker (Aspley) was to Melbourne last year. Can't really see in what universe the NEAFL is a joke, unless you were joking, Gadzorks ?

Easter Friday is so boring so why step up to the plate Lionsrbest and comebacklions and start having the mother of all arguments to liven up the day.

I will start something

Cutler looks the goods but isn't.
Bewick looks the goods every fifth match but is crap the other four weeks, a characteristic I enjoy.
Lester looks awful but is surprisingly well regarded at the club.
Beams is over rated.
I liked Lewie Taylor better when he ran around in ever decreasing circles. He was circling a miniature back hole and disappeared over the event horizon. The new Lewie(black holes do radiate dark body energy) is a different beast and a lot more boring.
To put Sera (Number 10, if you don't mind) and McStay in the same sentence is like putting Steve Smith and Bill Woodfall in the same sentence
Nothing to argue with here. And clique members don't argue with each other, period.

Serafini was not an aerialist,of McStay's ability.The player McStay most obviously resembles,is Gary Pert,who was brilliant in the air, until his knee injuries, and was a beautiful kick.I think McStay is the best kick on our list.
Good call. I tossed up on this one. You will recall that Pert played forward in his first season before moving back. I hadn’t really pegged McStay as an aerialist, but where I think he has great potential is as a leaping, spoiling and rebounding backman, which both Serafini and Pert were.

Is the NEAFL responsible for the Swans lack of depth or the Giants lack of depth? Not aware that they have depth issues, yet their developing players play in the same comp. This is the competition in which Tom Mitchell developed and look at him now... the NEAFL is fairly different this year anyway with the AFL clubs playing each other 4 times. We only play the non-AFL clubs once... at least 3 of those NT. Syd Uni and Aspley will give us good competition, possibly all of the 6. Redland should be stronger this year as well. Many of our ex-players... Freemann, Hammelmann, O'Brien etc are playing NEAFL. It has to be improving and is not the basket case that many seem to believe. Players can now be drafted from the NEAFL to the AFL, as Oskar Baker (Aspley) was to Melbourne last year. Can't really see in what universe the NEAFL is a joke, unless you were joking, Gadzorks ?

I only got to 3 neafl games last year so my perception may well be screwed but seemed like a major step down. Looked a bit like the st kilda/ north game today so maybe I have under estimated the competition.

Nothing to argue with here. And clique members don't argue with each other, period.
Yeah, we are The Over 50’s Clique, but how can we be a clique without ‘group think?’ People need to stop going off their meds.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serafini was not an aerialist,of McStay's ability.The player McStay most obviously resembles,is Gary Pert,who was brilliant in the air ,until his knee injuries, and was a beautiful kick.I think McStay is the best kick on our list.
Laurie no, but Renato was. I was a big fan when I was a kid. He and Alex Ruscuklic, who could also take a big grab, were two of my favourite players in that era.

Laurie no, but Renato was. I was a big fan when I was a kid. He and Alex Ruscuklic, who could also take a big grab, were two of my favourite players in that era.
Great to see the Over 50’s Clique taking over this thread,

I only got to 3 neafl games last year so my perception may well be screwed but seemed like a major step down. Looked a bit like the st kilda/ north game today so maybe I have under estimated the competition.

Don’t worry I totally agree with you. It is a major step down from melbourne reserves football. You are totally right.
Get a petition started to restart the reserves again. I will gladly sign it .Many of the lions ex players mentioned by comeback lions, were rejects from the bottom of the table lions , that to me ,says it all. When a club like the lions with far more resources, than say the redlands for example ,play each other, I believe their is a mental drop off. The attitude would be ,easy win we do not have to try ,so mentally the side becomes lazy. Whereas ,when you play a top side ( you see this quite often in the AFL, top sides being beaten by bottom sides) there is a completely different mental approach by the bottom side that is ,they are more switched on. The lions would find it a far more difficult proposition each week ,coming up against harden afl reserves teams.Their performance against afl reserves teams ,would give us a far better indication of were our list is at.Simply put ,it is a far tougher standard than the Neafl and therefore is the benchmark we should be tested against.

Last edited:

Sounds like it

Last edited:
I also loved Alex Ruscuklic, hence my avatar photo. Thinking of replacing it with one of Big Oscar, but haven't got around to it yet.

The lions would find it a far more difficult proposition each week ,coming up against harden afl reserves teams.Their performance against afl reserves teams ,would give us a far better indication of were our list is at..

We're now playing AFL reserves teams every 2 weeks out of 3. (ie 12 games against AFL twos and 6 other games).

Not all teams in the VFL are AFL teams either so there's no way of doing it every week even in Victoria. Not sure what you're proposing... the twos can't travel to Melbourne every week to play in the VFL. All we can do is make the best of what we have, which I'm sure we're doing.

Good call. I tossed up on this one. You will recall that Pert played forward in his first season before moving back. I hadn’t really pegged McStay as an aerialist, but where I think he has great potential is as a leaping, spoiling and rebounding backman, which both Serafini and Pert were.
Serafini blended with Pert = Merrigan .... McStay=depth player

I also loved Alex Ruscuklic, hence my avatar photo. Thinking of replacing it with one of Big Oscar, but haven't got around to it yet.
David Wall was one of my early favourites.

Pert and Sera had great timing and don't forget the master- Harvey Merrigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back