Preview Round 2 2018, Brisbane Lions vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serafini blended with Pert = Merrigan .... McStay=depth player
I think McStay is better than depth, but any one of Serafini, Merrigan and Pert are all better than McStay.

We're now playing AFL reserves teams every 2 weeks out of 3. (ie 12 games against AFL twos and 6 other games).

Not all teams in the VFL are AFL teams either so there's no way of doing it every week even in Victoria. Not sure what you're proposing... the twos can't travel to Melbourne every week to play in the VFL. All we can do is make the best of what we have, which I'm sure we're doing.

I appreciate that ,funding must come from the AFL. Reason why I say AFL, the Fitzroy football board found out ( my dad told me) that a certain profile player who went to Sydney on a 1 million dollar contract was solely being paid by the AFL .Sydney from what I recall back then were not as powerful as they are know. The point I am making ,is that if the AFL could do that back then , then If they have any integrity whatsoever they should reintroduce the reserves format.Even ,if they increase the ticket price by a couple of dollars and get sponsors on board as well ,I believe a lot of fans would not mind paying a higher price. I believe it would be a bit of a winner for the AFL. If Melbourne is a gauge,( a lot of supporters here in melbourne,are calling for its reintroduction )then it may very well be successful.

I think McStay is better than depth, but any one of Serafini, Merrigan and Pert are all better than McStay.

OMG ,the memories of the junction oval. The under 19’s ,reserves and the senior team.going there when we made it into finals , watching them train prior to the finals.,what great memories. Long Live Fitzroy.

I appreciate that ,funding must come from the AFL. Reason why I say AFL, the Fitzroy football board found out ( my dad told me) that a certain profile player who went to Sydney on a 1 million dollar contract was solely being paid by the AFL .Sydney from what I recall back then were not as powerful as they are know. The point I am making ,is that if the AFL could do that back then , then If they have any integrity whatsoever they should reintroduce the reserves format.Even ,if they increase the ticket price by a couple of dollars and get sponsors on board as well ,I believe a lot of fans would not mind paying a higher price. I believe it would be a bit of a winner for the AFL. If Melbourne is a gauge,( a lot of supporters here in melbourne,are calling for its reintroduction )then it may very well be successful.

a thought - just supposing the 2s leave the neafl to play in a nationwide reserved league (stuff of fairy tales) what would the impact be on general afl development and senior age league up here? Would it help or hinder? And how would that flow on to youth footy, which is what we really need to ensure high talent locals continue to be available for drafting?

OMG ,the memories of the junction oval. The under 19’s ,reserves and the senior team.going there when we made it into finals , watching them train prior to the finals.,what great memories. Long Live Fitzroy.
You just got Life Membership into The Over 50’s Clique.

Last edited:
a thought - just supposing the 2s leave the neafl to play in a nationwide reserved league (stuff of fairy tales) what would the impact be on general afl development and senior age league up here? Would it help or hinder? And how would that flow on to youth footy, which is what we really need to ensure high talent locals continue to be available for drafting?

My thoughts alone. If the lions can once again be successful.I believe this may inspire and enhance the Neafl ,the academys. Succes breeds sucess and I truly believe that has a flow on effect to the footy leagues in queensland.The reserves will have to, (without a shadow of a doubt) lift their game. It will quickly sort out I believe the guys who have the talent to make it in the AFL and those who don’t. It, I feel, it will raise the standards across the board rather than diminish them.AFL could even look at bringing back to some extent the under 19’s as a pathway to the AFL. Cost may be a factor,so what I would propose , is there would be,a carnival style format at the same time as the national under 18’s. The under 18’s would be the 1st game, then the under 19’s game straight after with a similar format to the under 18 carnival i.e. round robin, the only difference there would by a grand final between the two highest teams at the end of the carnival.

Last edited:
Have you listened to the first Episode of Norther Exposure where the Lions CEO, Greg Swan & the Suns CEO actually discuss the idea of a reserves league with the hosts.

If it was just the Lions and Suns reserves travelling, the AFL might be able to fund it.

But there are more interstate clubs than just us. Might be worth you listening to Swanny putting the kibosh on it.

My thoughts alone. If the lions can once again be successful.I believe this may inspire and enhance the Neafl ,the academys. Succes breeds sucess and I truly believe that has a flow on effect to the footy leagues in queensland.The reserves will have to, (without a shadow of a doubt) lift their game. It will quickly sort out I believe the guys who have the talent to make it in the AFL and those who don’t. It, I feel, it will raise the standards across the board rather than diminish them.AFL could even look at bringing back to some extent the under 19’s as a pathway to the AFL. Cost may be a factor,so what I would propose , is there would be,a carnival style format at the same time as the national under 18’s. The under 18’s would be the 1st game, then the under 19’s game straight after with a similar format to the under 18 carnival i.e. round robin, the only difference there would by a grand final between the two highest teams at the end of the carnival.

I really like the u19s idea. It's 2 years until the change in school year hits us and draft year will be same as final school year (12).

Under 19 providing a pathway to elite means kids may be able to have some hope of finding time for school work.

Also means that late developers also have a shot.

And even kids without a shot may stay engaged in sport - a hell of a lot stop sport when they stop school. Benefits all round.

Have you listened to the first Episode of Norther Exposure where the Lions CEO, Greg Swan & the Suns CEO actually discuss the idea of a reserves league with the hosts.

If it was just the Lions and Suns reserves travelling, the AFL might be able to fund it.

But there are more interstate clubs than just us. Might be worth you listening to Swanny putting the kibosh on it.

If you look at my earlier posts , i think over 5 years ago or even more I suggested that. I am a massive fan of that Briztoon. And from my earlier post i.e. under 19’s mini comp,if you want to call it that.If we can offer the youth of Queensland even greater chances, to have a pathway to the AFL ,I think that is a winner for everyone.

Last edited:
I really like the u19s idea. It's 2 years until the change in school year hits us and draft year will be same as final school year (12).

Under 19 providing a pathway to elite means kids may be able to have some hope of finding time for school work.

Also means that late developers also have a shot.

And even kids without a shot may stay engaged in sport - a hell of a lot stop sport when they stop school. Benefits all round.

Fantastic post. Absolutely right,their are late developers,it gives them a chance to hold onto their dream of playing AFL ,with exposure and most importantly all the benefits the AFL has to offer. Great post.

We’re not likely to leave...but another thought...If you check out the NEAFL teams, the lists are on their website, they are increasingly made up of ex AFL listed and AFL academy players. And quite a few players from Melbourne. The stronger they become, the better for local players, the more chance of a local pathway. I realise there’s been an issue with sides getting smashed by AFL teams, but it might start to shift this year. Will be interesting to see how the new format works.

Bewick selection is something I'm struggling with given the young talent we have to unleash. Just don't get it at all. The guys had more chances than my Grandma with lotto.
I honestly think someone chafing at the bit with youth and enthusiasm would of been an obvious choice but I'm not in the know nor a selector with intimate knowledge. So on with the show....
Strange all the same. I can always yell - "Told you so" at the ground. Always makes a disgruntled fan feel better....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re not likely to leave...but another thought...If you check out the NEAFL teams, the lists are on their website, they are increasingly made up of ex AFL listed and AFL academy players. And quite a few players from Melbourne. The stronger they become, the better for local players, the more chance of a local pathway. I realise there’s been an issue with sides getting smashed by AFL teams, but it might start to shift this year. Will be interesting to see how the new format works.

What I am talking about ,is playing against current battle harden AFL talent ( thru the reserves ). Unfortunately ex players do not experience the same tough standards as current AFL players in the system do. As I said earlier the true indicator as to were we r at , in terms of talent is to play in a superior competition.From what I have heard the intensity is far less. We need to raise the standards ,not lessen them.

Bewick selection is something I'm struggling with given the young talent we have to unleash. Just don't get it at all. The guys had more chances than my Grandma with lotto.
I honestly think someone chafing at the bit with youth and enthusiasm would of been an obvious choice but I'm not in the know nor a selector with intimate knowledge. So on with the show....
Strange all the same. I can always yell - "Told you so" at the ground. Always makes a disgruntled fan feel better....

Agree with you.really good post.
I honestly think someone chafing at the bit with youth and enthusiasm would of been an obvious choice.
Brilliant !!!!!

How do you know that Bewick isn't chafing at the bit either to impress, particularly given he is out of contract at the end of the year and fighting to save his career?

I do understand where you're coming from, but I dare say the coaches are also mindful of not going in too inexperienced and selecting someone with a known skill set.

I'm by no means a Bewick advocate, although I appreciate where the match committee is coming from regarding Bewick's selection.

I hate that term "interstate clubs" that many footy experts and pundits still over use.

Not having a go briztoon but the correct term is "non-Victorian clubs".

"The Victorians are not the issue here dude."

How do you know that Bewick isn't chafing at the bit either to impress, particularly given he is out of contract at the end of the year and fighting to save his career?

I do understand where you're coming from, but I dare say the coaches are also mindful of not going in too inexperienced and selecting someone with a known skill set.

I'm by no means a Bewick advocate, although I appreciate where the match committee is coming from regarding Bewick's selection.

I don’t know if Bewick is chafing but if he is I think some cream might help.It might clear up the problem.

How do you know he is? He has had a lot of chafing at the bit opportunities.... time for another contestant.

Now really......I hate to be a grammnar/spelling nazi but I just can't let this one go!

There really is no such idiom/phrase as chafing at the bit.

Strictly speaking the correct word is champing at the bit but it seems that chomping has become acceptable just through usage

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/champ-or-chomp-at-the-bit

Chafing is what happens to your bum if you use an inferior grade dunny paper after consuming an Indian Hot vindaloo the night before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back