Preview Round 2, 2022: Fremantle v St.Kilda - Optus Stadium, Sunday 27th March, 6:20PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Dockers

Votes: 53 67.1%
  • Saints

Votes: 26 32.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played great round 1. Win
Sub round 2. Lose
Dumped round 3. Lose
Played great round 4. Win
Dunstan in round 5. Whole team got smashed. Lose
Sub round 6. Lose
Played well round 7. Win
Quieter game round 8. Win
Ok game round 9. Lose
Poor game round 10 (whole team smashed. Mckernan ruck).
Dumped round 11 for the easy game vs North.
Round 13 sub then dumped
Round 18 sub then dumped
Round 21 sub then dumped
Round 23 dominant. Win

He did pretty damn well for being confusingly in and out and medi sub
This is the problem he needed game time and with no VFL , he couldn't get it.
Very hard to assess the kids game when he is in and out of the team and not getting the minutes on the ground to improve.
Now he is having injury issues which again is stalling his career.

If Dan McKenzie has to play can we at least make him tag someone? If he's going to waste one of our spots, he might as well waste one of Freo's too
Would love to see him as that outside midfielder receiving or hitting the pack hard like Zac Jones, we could do with a hard nut running through the guts.
If you think he was bad last week, there were 1/2 dozen players with less possessions than he had. I’m sure they won’t all be dropped.

And Dunstan had at least a month in the VFL where he was averaging over 30 disposals and 2 goals a game. Was undoubtedly Sandy's best - and at times it felt like only - player.

Bytel got every chance to cement his spot before the coaches relented and brought Dunstan in, whose form warranted being brought in weeks earlier.

Bytel played round 1, had 10 tackles and 6 clearances but only 13 disposals. No Dunstan, No Jones. Decent game by Gresham. No Crouch .
Must have been sub round 2, 20% game time and 6 disposals. Reasonable. No Dunstan, Ordinary game by Jones. Gresham 9 clearances. No Crouch.
Round 3: No Bytel, No Dunstan, Jones ordinary, Gresham Injured ( out for year ). Couch a bit ordinary.
Round 4: Very good game by Bytel though lowish TOG ( Tank?), No Dunstan, Jones very good. Crouch very good.
Round 5: Bytel just ten disposals (playing forward?) , Dunstan not much better, 16 disp ( 3 cont ) , 1 clearance. , No Jones, Crouch good.
Round 6: Bytel dropped to Sub. Dunstan just dropped. Crouch and Jones ordinary.
Round 7: Bytel played well , plenty of disposals, clearances, tackles. No Dunstan. Jones just brilliant. Crouch very good too.
Round 8: Bytel sub. No Dunstan. Jones and Crouch good.
Round 9: Bytel played..ok..ish. No Dunstan. No Jones, Good by Crouch but we lost.
Round 10: Bytel not as good as round 9. No Dunstan. No Jones. Crouch OK.
Round 11: No Bytel. Dunstan good. No Jones. Crouch good.
Round 12: No Bytel. Dunstan good. No Jones. Crouch 38 disposals.
Round 13: Bytel sub i guess. Dunstan OK, No Jones. 19 contested possessions to Crouch.
Round 14: StKilda didn't lose.
Round 15: Bytel concussed from training. Dunstan good. No Jones. Crouch good.
Round 16: No Bytel. No Jones. Dunstan and Crouch OK.
Round 17: No Bytel, Jones good , Dunstan and Crouch OK.
Round 18 : Bytel sub. Jones ordinary. Dunstan OK and Crouch good.
Round 19 : No Bytel, Dunstan ordinary , Jones good.Crouch ordinary.
Round 20 : No Bytel.Dunstan Great Game. , Jones very good. Crouch very good.
Round 21 : Bytel Sub , Dunstan ok., Jones good. Crouch OK.
Round 22: No Bytel. Dunstan ok but sprayed it a lot. Jones good. Crouch OK Hannebery OK
Round 23 : Bytel nothing great. 17 disposals. Dunstan dropped. Jones good. Crouch OK Hannebery OK/

People here make up facts based on their crap memory.

Luke Dunstan flourished as a senior member of the Zebras midfield brigade and enters the count as a strong contender for this year’s award, even though he played just the four matches.

Dunstan averaged 37 possessions, 11 clearances and two goals a match and is well placed to poll maximum votes in most, if not all of his four games.

One of his finest performances came in Round 5 as he guided the Zebras to their first win of the season against the previously undefeated Williamstown, gathering 36 possessions and kicking two crucial first half goals.

Sub round 2. Lose
Dumped round 3. Lose
Sub round 6. Lose
Played well round 7. Win
Ok game round 9. Lose
Round 13 sub then dumped
Round 18 sub then dumped
Round 21 sub then dumped
Round 23 dominant. Win

You and I clearly have differing opinions on what a "great" and "dominant" game is

There was nothing confusing about it.

It's on the AFL app champion

Proves you don't watch the game as closely as you make out though by suggesting he was played out of position.
It is. I'll have a look champos. Let's not get too full of yourself but ok? I've watched the game closely for decades. If my memory is clouded a little more than yours that's another story old sport.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sub round 2. Lose
Dumped round 3. Lose
Sub round 6. Lose
Played well round 7. Win
Ok game round 9. Lose
Round 13 sub then dumped
Round 18 sub then dumped
Round 21 sub then dumped
Round 23 dominant. Win

Maybe he doesn't watch the game as closely as others. Don't hold it against him.

we have gone the old favorites with Champion - Champo and old sport

Will we see the classic Legend pulled out or even a Buster

George LOL
Wake up to yourself noddy. . Bit early in the day to be champing people ain't it?

It is. I'll have a look champos. Let's not get too full of yourself but ok? I've watched the game closely for decades. If my memory is clouded a little more than yours that's another story old sport.

Righto cobba, probably don't suggest something is categorically not true if your memory is clouded then

Then again, maybe Bytel was starting in the centre and then running to the back pocket

George LOL
Wait ’til they start calling each other Sven.

You know, as in Sven Maaate 🙄

+1

I think it was Malthouse who would debut kids and give them assurances he would play them for at least 3 games.

This has two tangible benefits that I can notice:

a) gives the kid a bit of job security, knowing that if he is a little overawed or makes some mistakes on debut, he won't be on the chopping block

and

b) gives them two opportunities to work on things that their coach(es) have picked out in the video analysis to implement in the next game.

It isn't very beneficial having kids come in and out of the side. It doesn't give them the opportunity to build any continuity. It's a huge reason why Tom Lynch didn't flourish until he left us, for example.

Ratts job could be gone if we lose the first 5 games. Development it probably not going to be a high priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+1

I think it was Malthouse who would debut kids and give them assurances he would play them for at least 3 games.

a) gives the kid a bit of job security, knowing that if he is a little overawed or makes some mistakes on debut, he won't be on the chopping block

and

b) gives them two opportunities to work on things that their coach(es) have picked out in the video analysis to implement in the next game.

It isn't very beneficial having kids come in and out of the side. It doesn't give them the opportunity to build any continuity. It's a huge reason why Tom Lynch didn't flourish until he left us, for example.
Heard Chris Scott talk about it as well where his strategy is to give debutont a block of games so that they don’t go into self preservation mode.

Would love to see him as that outside midfielder receiving or hitting the pack hard like Zac Jones, we could do with a hard nut running through the guts.
If you think he was bad last week, there were 1/2 dozen players with less possessions than he had. I’m sure they won’t all be dropped.

DMac was great last year where he really pushed the energy up in the side. He needs to bring that to go from a depth wingman to a first picked player. In a low energy and unmotivated group he stood out as a super committed to the contest and ball carrier type. I doubt he'll ever get high possessions but as long as he does what he does well he can be best 22. He wouldn't want a few weeks of mediocrity though.

He wasn't awful but he was part of the problem....without being Robinson Crusoe. I don't think he needs to be any harder, he seems to knock himself out going too hard at contests.

DMac was great last year where he really pushed the energy up in the side. He needs to bring that to go from a depth wingman to a first picked player. In a low energy and unmotivated group he stood out as a super committed to the contest and ball carrier type. I doubt he'll ever get high possessions but as long as he does what he does well he can be best 22. He wouldn't want a few weeks of mediocrity though.

He wasn't awful but he was part of the problem....without being Robinson Crusoe. I don't think he needs to be any harder, he seems to knock himself out going too hard at contests.
I think he did his role tbh. It’s the guys who should be top 10 players for us that let us down.

+1

and

Yeah - agree wholeheartedly.

Last week the coaching staff would have been pumping up his tyres, telling him we've watched you all pre season, we've played you against Steele, we back you, you're good enough and the message a week later is nah mate, we got it wrong - you're not ready.

Bad for the kid, does nothing for the credibility of the coaching panel.

If the selection panel think McKenzie was the problem on Friday night...

Interesting though that despite resisting it all of last season, through some perplexing situations, Ratten sent McKenzie to the backline last week when he needed to put Sinclair into the middle.

Which means there is an opportunity to replace a mid with a defender and keep Sinclair in the midfield rotation. Connolly and Geary the options for another non-KPD defender to replace someone like Owens.

I agree that getting Owens a block of games would be good for him though. He was better in the 4th quarter on Friday. I'm happy to see him retain his spot.

Byrnes would be the one I would leave out because he was particularly poor.

Would you get NWM in for Kent? I wasn't a huge fan of Kent's game last week, but I'm more tolerant of him than others on here.

Defenders: Howard, Battle, Wilkie, Webster, Paton, Hill, Geary
Midfielders: Marshall, Steele, Gresham, Sinclair, McKenzie, Ross, Owens, Crouch
Forwards: King, Membrey, Hayes, Butler, Higgins, Kent, Wood

Ratts job could be gone if we lose the first 5 games. Development it probably not going to be a high priority.
If we drop Owen after one game then selection committee should be looked at for getting it so wrong for round 1

If the selection panel think McKenzie was the problem on Friday night...

Interesting though that despite resisting it all of last season, through some perplexing situations, Ratten sent McKenzie to the backline last week when he needed to put Sinclair into the middle.

Which means there is an opportunity to replace a mid with a defender and keep Sinclair in the midfield rotation. Connolly and Geary the options for another non-KPD defender to replace someone like Owens.

I agree that getting Owens a block of games would be good for him though. He was better in the 4th quarter on Friday. I'm happy to see him retain his spot.

Byrnes would be the one I would leave out because he was particularly poor.

Would you get NWM in for Kent? I wasn't a huge fan of Kent's game last week, but I'm more tolerant of him than others on here.

Defenders: Howard, Battle, Wilkie, Webster, Paton, Hill, Geary
Midfielders: Marshall, Steele, Gresham, Sinclair, McKenzie, Ross, Owens, Crouch
Forwards: King, Membrey, Hayes, Butler, Higgins, Kent, Wood

Kent is first out for me. 4 touches and 1 tackle simply isn't good enough for any player let alone a 28 year old.

You get it Mowman. Unfortunately our club lives in cuckoo land along with about 56 posters on this board who think 86% of the ridiculous selections we make are the right ones.

Everyone's a dum dum and you are the only smart one.

It's getting old mate, we get it.

Move on.

If we drop Owen after one game then selection committee should be looked at for getting it so wrong for round 1
The problem I saw watching at the ground is that he was predominantly playing inside mid and just couldn't get near it at the clearances. If he's staying in we'd need another plan for him.

Someone mentioned he got a few touches in the last so maybe he's worth giving another week, maybe move him into Byrnes' position.

George LOL
What an incredible turn of events. I've decided to clear out my schedule for today to hopefully bear witness to the very rare but psychologically damaging "Speed Racer" used next.

Champion and Champos are tried and true in the old game of dick measuring, but if someone whips out the Speed Racer it could take years to recover and possibly several therapy sessions.

Legend, Buster, Tiger are the obvious next steps here. Let's see how the combatants decide to play it.

What an incredible turn of events. I've decided to clear out my schedule for today to hopefully bear witness to the very rare but psychologically damaging "Speed Racer" used next.

Champion and Champos are tried and true in the old game of dick measuring, but if someone whips out the Speed Racer it could take years to recover and possibly several therapy sessions.

Legend, Buster, Tiger are the obvious next steps here. Let's see how the combatants decide to play it.

you-got-it-chief-randy-mouch-mcholland.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back