Game Day Round 2 Carlton v Brisbane Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

And it is also pertinent to note that if we can't beat a relatively struggling pies team, there Is no logical reason to expect to beat them later This season.

While one game, especially so early, won't win or lose you a season, it can go a ling way to determining the mindset and therefore the expectations for the season.
without wanting to sound like a prick I can tell u playing a game early in a season means a lot but playing and winning a final means a hell of a lot more,it is not logical but the nature of the beast

There seems to be a lot of people who don't understand the difference between history and the present.
HISTORICALLY we haven't won many big games with this list. NOW is a different story . Why is last years form any guide to what will happen this week?

History is littered with changes. The only sure thing in football is that there will be change.

Look at our form this year. Preseason , not too flash. Now completely different. Change.

without wanting to sound like a prick I can tell u playing a game early in a season means a lot but playing and winning a final means a hell of a lot more,it is not logical but the nature of the beast

I think that is completely logical. There is more riding on a final,
No doubt. Especially a knockout one.

There seems to be a lot of people who don't understand the difference between history and the present.
HISTORICALLY we haven't won many big games with this list. NOW is a different story . Why is last years form any guide to what will happen this week?

History is littered with changes. The only sure thing in football is that there will be change.

Look at our form this year. Preseason , not too flash. Now completely different. Change.

Of course there will be change, but until the corner is turned it is purely conjecture. The only logical way to analyse our chances is current form, current list, and how well we match up against the good sides. The only way to do that is to look at recent past results and attempt to take
List changes into account for matchup difficulties.

A lot of supporters are bullish about beating the cats
When needed. These ideas are due to us having a good run against them. For whatever reason, we have matched up well against them for years, and now, if we infer our list has improved, we would expect To beat them most times.

For whatever reason, we havent matched up well with the pies and hawks. Until I see this has changed, and I'm sure most of the football world would agree, we won't be included in the serious flag contenders debate. Maybe split our games with the other best 4 teams, and then I'm sure we
Will.

For whatever reason, we havent matched up well with the pies and hawks. Until I see this has changed, and I'm sure most of the football world would agree, we won't be included in the serious flag contenders debate. Maybe split our games with the other best 4 teams, and then I'm sure we
Will.

True, we haven't matched well with the Pies over the last 2 1/2 years (our last win against them was a 51 point win in Round 8 of 2009), but this has coincided with Collingwood being at their peak (Top 4 finishes in each of 2009, 2010 & 2011).

We have known all along that Collingwood were a couple of years ahead of us in the development of their playing list (we were still shit in 2006 & 2007 when Collingwood were back playing finals), but I am fairly confident the gap has been closed, mostly due to the development of our key young players e.g. Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Yarran, Jamison, Garlett, along with some of the lesser lights e.g. Henderson, Laidler, Duigan, Hampson. When you take into account some of Collingwood's personnel changes e.g. Davis, Leigh Brown, Krakouer (inj), Malthouse, I think it is a totally different ball game.

Of course Collingwood are still very good at the top end of their list, as are we, but there would not seem to be the same gap between their lesser lights & our lesser lights anymore.

Very good call.

The gap closed a heap last season, but we couldn't quite pip them.

Davis, krakouer and brown are big losses. Maxwell and didak are underdone. Dawes seems to be off the boil. We have a massive chance.

Desperately want to see us take it.

True, we haven't matched well with the Pies over the last 2 1/2 years (our last win against them was a 51 point win in Round 8 of 2009), but this has coincided with Collingwood being at their peak (Top 4 finishes in each of 2009, 2010 & 2011).

We have known all along that Collingwood were a couple of years ahead of us in the development of their playing list (we were still shit in 2006 & 2007 when Collingwood were back playing finals), but I am fairly confident the gap has been closed, mostly due to the development of our key young players e.g. Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Yarran, Jamison, Garlett, along with some of the lesser lights e.g. Henderson, Laidler, Duigan, Hampson. When you take into account some of Collingwood's personnel changes e.g. Davis, Leigh Brown, Krakouer (inj), Malthouse, I think it is a totally different ball game.

Of course Collingwood are still very good at the top end of their list, as are we, but there would not seem to be the same gap between their lesser lights & our lesser lights anymore.

Sunday Shows

AFL Game Day
[youtube]eC5in8tZ5LE[/youtube]

The Sunday Footy Show
[youtube]ItSEDlcp3lo[/youtube]

Thanks so much Wookie :thumbsu:

Hows James Hird, doesn;t like Eddies marks, ha ..guess what James, Eddie the Eagle is waiting for ya in two weeks time

Just watched the game again

Wow. The hard stuff that Mitch Robinson does is exceptional. His ability to hit a contest and cause a spillage is invaluable.

If he wasn't already is now indispensable to this team !!!

Can anyone tell me who matched up on Rockliff? Felt they did a great job nullifying his effectiveness.

Also kudos to Carrots. Have been a long time critic of his. He is playing some of his best football this year. Great work rate and looks like he is not burning the ball like he has in the past.

Dirk

http://www.smartreplay.afl.com.au/?...ype=contestedMark&seek=4192&videoQuality=high

Paul+Bower+AFL+Rd+2+Brisbane+v+Carlton+arXn5NWWrzJl.jpg

:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very impressed with Zac Touhy's effort this game. That tackle on the HFF was excellent. His kicking is just brilliant - heaps of distance and very accurate. Also very strong overhead, and has plenty of leg speed and power. Just gotta get games into this guy. A huge talent.

:)

Always bewilders me that an opposition can get votes in a 91 point thrashing. If they were playing well enough to be top 5 the margin would be smaller wouldn't it?. The exception of course being Gary Ablett.

I don't mind a player getting votes despite their side losing.

A good individual performance is just that, and shouldn't be dependent on the results of the team that individual plays for.

Rich was OK on the night and probably Brisbane's best, but there were plenty of Carlton players who were better. To have him in the votes is just silly. He certainly wasn't in the best 5 players on the ground.

^^^^^^^

Agree with this, Rich was ok, and fought hard against the odds, however in no way was in the best 5 on the ground.

Always bewilders me that an opposition can get votes in a 91 point thrashing. If they were playing well enough to be top 5 the margin would be smaller wouldn't it?. The exception of course being Gary Ablett.

What's he got, some magical ring that gives him the distinction of being the only player allowed to be top 5 in a thrashing? :confused:

Rich was very good. Wouldn't have had him there myself but he was comfortably Brisbane's best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Round 2 Carlton v Brisbane Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back