Votes: 54 29.7%
  • 38. Steven Morris

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • 48. Kane Lambert

Votes: 14 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to be ruthless post season if we finish 7th or 8th again just throw the kitchen sink at Bummer Thompson

He reckons we are mentally soft then he can fix it lol
We're going nowhere with Hardwick.

Just got back from playing, haven't seen the game and based off this thread probably won't watch it. Was worried they would trouble us with their pressure and intent after watching both sides in round 1 and sounds like it was the case

Rance was the only person that played well. Don't be blinded by the fact that Cotchin got 30+ disposals, he had no impact and had so many cheap backwards and sideways possessions and countless handballs to people who would get tackled immediately. Dusty wasn't that bad but didn't impact as much on the game after quarter time.
Petterd... this useless player.

Only positive I thought was that Rance was absolutely amazing again. sign him up now.

Obviously cotch and martin can hold their heads up, and was pretty happy with Grimes and Bachelor. The rest fairly poor.

We just seemed so much slower and less hungry for the footy

Sorry if not clear.
Partly just amusing myself after my Kempinsky reference and then I see your avatar.
For the other part -
Coz you said we got beat inside. Last time I checked was around 3qtr time and they were pretty even.
And you said there were no positives - I thought Rance was great.
Fair enough. Didn't get the reference at first.
Numbers wise we may have had similar contested possessions/clearances, but it was the MANNER in which they seemed to break from packs and win the ball so much more clean than us.
And yes, Rance was great, best player on the park by a country mile, but is it really a positive that the ONLY player who stood up out of our whole side is a senior full back who may leave at seasons end?
I just wish that we had played a few kids and we could at least say "oh well x had a good game". Macintosh was just ok, nowhere near the impact of last week and looked a little lost out there at times.

I'm not sure if I'm looking at this through angry, depressed eyes But.... When you see a new draftee right after the game smiling and having a laugh, it made me think does losing the game actully mean anything to some of these players. Are they happy enough just to be on an AFL list. I'm starting to believe Cameron Mooney when he said those exact few things about Richmond.
I think we have a culture issue that accepts mediocrity because I'm on an AFL list I've made it yay.
I don't see them play for each other, no shepards, no talk, just finger pointing that wasn't my responsibility.

By the way If Rance leaves God help us.....

I was at the game.
I honestly can't find any positives to take out of it.
We have been completely found out game plan wise. If we lose the clearances, we lose the game. We don't have enough players in the team who work back hard ebough. Everytime there was a contest, the dogs seemed to have more numbers around the ball and they just spread so much more efficiently than us.
It wasn't like there were a few younger players that put their hand up and had a good game. I can't honestly pick more than 3 players to put in the votes.
Why do we have no plan B? We start losing the contested possessions and clearances and was there any sign of a strategic move from the coaches box? The Bulldogs got nearly every single one of their goals by playing fast, running hard and kicking direct. We were so slow, chipping it around the ground and it didn't work for 4 quarters so at what point does the message go out to go "alright **** it, we need to roll the dice here so tell em to kick it through the corridor"? It was like they were all just waiting for us to click into gear and we'd just somehow start playing better.
For me, there is a big question mark on our leadership because we didn't have one senior player who put their hand up and tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck when the chips were down. The good teams who are in the top 4 at the end of the season are the ones who have senior leaders who step up when their teams down and show the rest of the team how to play by their actions. We have too many passengers.
The Bulldogs outplayed us in every area, credit to them. I think they'll finish a lot higher than predicted, and I also think the posters on here who were predicting a landslide victory for us should just have a little holiday off here because you just embarrassed yourself.
What has happened to our good clearance and middle of the ground play?

Despite a crappy loss today, I'm not going to the microwave just yet

Things will be clearer after round 6,,, next 4 games...
Brisbane ( win)
Melbourne ( win)
Geeking (50-50)
Norf (50-50)

At worst 3-3...at best 5-1

Then comes Filth and Port

Sorry mate but you're dreaming.
We will be lucky to come away with 1 win out of that bunch the way we have started the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only positive I thought was that Rance was absolutely amazing again. sign him up now.

Obviously cotch and martin can hold their heads up, and was pretty happy with Grimes and Bachelor. The rest fairly poor.

We just seemed so much slower and less hungry for the footy
Cotchin can't he was awful

God yes. Was waiting to post my view but you nailed it. We just don't have the want/talent to be on a man virtually all game when needed. Every time we went near the ball our mids got tackled straight away, but it was ALL of our mids that had that pressure. They spread from that method but we don't. We need so many more that want to tackle, want to compete like their life depends on it etc. Cotchin, while he got possessions had no influence, Dusty goes early but tired and had little influence after half time. Thought Rance was BOG by a mile, Macintosh was pretty good throughout the game. We seriously need to up tempo our tackling pressure, manning up within the middle of the ground, pressing up to players fwd of the play not just to the SAME players. Its also not just a coaching issue, its our players pulling their fingers out and being aggressive at the contest. As others have stated, its a typical Richmond thing. Some players don't think things thru(like Gordo), but when your best don't what chance do other lesser known have?
Edit: Real surprised about winning the CP's as I would've said we got hammered.

Well its not all doom and gloom - we do have 5 first round draft selections not in the team so we can make changes. However soem players seem to have

Conca, Lennon, Ellis, Deledio, Vickery - plus Knights, Edwards, Astbury

So lets go through a few of our players today:

Petterd - do not play this guy ever again how many times can he butcher a footy and still find himself in the ones
Morris - just not an AFL player - back pocket plumber or nothing
Chaplin - wow wee. This guy has the entire coaching staff fooled. He should be charged with fraud for impersonating an AFL footballer. Astbury not Chaplin.
Newman - too old and all his fundemental errors, that have limited him to being nothing more than a foot soldier, still emerge constantly
Houli - is younger version of Newman - a fundamentally flawed footballer who cannot handle pressure

Chaplin & Houli in particular have become too comfortable with their positions in the team

Maric - was poor today. Insipid actually.
Cotchin - I am no longer drinking the Cotchin Coolade - this guy has A+ talent with, B grade output

Changes for next week if possible:

Out: Petterd, Chaplin, Newman, Houli, Lambert, Gordon
In: Deledio, Astbury, Conca, Lennon, Edwards, Knights

P.S. Dimma - please can we kick the footy more, just a little, please
I agree. Add Batchelor though as he makes shocking decisions and he cannot kick and he never will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What has happened to our good clearance and middle of the ground play?
I honestly don't know mate. Last few years it has been one of our strengths.
For everyone bagging Cotch, I think the reason his disposal efficiency is so bad is because he is actually trying to get himself involved in the game when the pressure is on. So he goes in hard and wins contested possession and is forced to kick under pressure. He is probably a little more of an outside player but because we have nobody in the team who is going in and winning the bloody thing he is forced to do it himself. Ideally he should be the one on the end of a handball out of a pack and the linkman to clear it from the contest, but as we have very few players apart from miles and Edwards who actually go in hard and try to win the thing out of a pack he is forced to do it himself.

Oh and another thing: any player who elects to handball to a player with an opponent breathing down their neck at full speed should be dragged immediately.

Games like this always bring up stuff...this is not a season killer for the club, but it's a circuit breaker for us who expected to see the playing group advance. They have had 5 months to work out systems to counter a style of footy that belted us 3-10 last year...

So do I do my nut...or be coldly analytical. The second seems better...and IMO there are weaknesses in our playing group that we have to solve. The shortcut Blair approach has given us a reason to engage...I won't forget we have played 2 final series when the Suns and Giants were easy beats...given we were all on the same page in 2010.

But we have to ask ourselves...have we the guts to strip back, maybe take a step back, so we can fly higher with better in the future? Because I fear this group is not going to the grab #11...and because it isn't, let's start working on the new template.

I don't want us scrapping into the 8 for the third year in a row to be bundled out like cat litter...and today suggests to me that it's likely to be the case.

And I'm not big on a messiah...I don't need a super coach...Ross Lyon isn't going to get more out of the journeymen we have in the squad.

Time for some "left of centre" & forward thinking kpi's...and if we make finals, then that's a bonus. If we have any kid's not playing that are expected to be long termers, then let's get them in...I want to see if they wish to step up.

Fair enough. Didn't get the reference at first.
Numbers wise we may have had similar contested possessions/clearances, but it was the MANNER in which they seemed to break from packs and win the ball so much more clean than us.
And yes, Rance was great, best player on the park by a country mile, but is it really a positive that the ONLY player who stood up out of our whole side is a senior full back who may leave at seasons end?
I just wish that we had played a few kids and we could at least say "oh well x had a good game". Macintosh was just ok, nowhere near the impact of last week and looked a little lost out there at times.
Can't argue with that.
Re Mac - he copped a knock early - maybe, hip or thigh which affected him.

Bomber Thompson said that last week on 360, how when he was at the Cats regardles of Tiger form the coaches and players viewed us as mentaly weak and never took us serious. He hinted nothing has changed in his opinion.
He didn't say that, he just said we beat them all the time. No considering the team v ours that was just a given. Nothing at all about mentally weak, as they didn't have to play mind games. Way too much talent. I did find it funny that we did beat him last year(at the dons).

The Dogs were absolutely switched on today and played excellent football. We stayed there abouts but never really looked like it unfortunately. Just when a potential window of opportunity seemed to be opening it was shut and boarded up by a terrible turn over or mistake. The boys were under enormous pressure all day. The Bulldogs swarmed and ran for 4 quarters . They dominated the affair and had all the answers.

Still, the fisrt home and away loss in 11 games. I'll take that. Can't win em all. We will be all the better for the loss today. It could have been a lot worse. If it had of been a rubbish game skills wise by both teams that would be worse. But we lost to a team that played super football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 2: Richmond V Western Bulldogs @ MCG - Saturday 1:45pm, 11/04/15

Back