Preview Round 2: St.Kilda v West Coast - Domain Stadium (A), Saturday 1 April 2017, 4:40pm (7:40pm AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why everyone wants to gift Paddy a game as he hasn't done much so far, and did a couple of nice things but not a cut above some others against Port in the VFL last week. Sinclair and Acres would have selected themselves with good performances, and would be nice to see a raw young guy like Battle get a sniff.

I hope the players aren't going into this game thinking as negatively as some on here

If its true that by midway in the 2nd we had 3 down on the bench and still only lost by 30 that's made me a bit more confident in our abilities. I did myself notice Jimmy Webster hobbling around barely able to walk but not coming off the ground so there's probably a bit more to it than it seemed on game day.

I see the players going over with a point to prove and while i doubt we'll win i don't see a slaughter coming up like last year, especially if Hickey wants to keep his spot because you'd hope he'll want to show last year wasn't a fluke

Not sure why everyone wants to gift Paddy a game as he hasn't done much so far, and did a couple of nice things but not a cut above some others against Port in the VFL last week. Sinclair and Acres would have selected themselves with good performances, and would be nice to see a raw young guy like Battle get a sniff.

I think it's desperation, we had a complete collapse in the midfield and the whole forward line shat it's self on the same day. All the good stuff that Membery was doing last year seem to have dried up. Bruce is a bit better but not back to his 2015 form and Wright was terrible. Lonie was marginally better but still no world beater. At least he would offer hope. Gresham the only player that fired last week.

I've heard there'll be "at least" 3 changes this week and that Paddy and Joey are definites.

Paddy, Joey, and Dempster (if he wants to continue playing)

for Riewoldt, Armitage and Webster (who looked quite sore and limping heavily during the game)

I think they'd free up one more spot for Acres as well...

I've heard there'll be "at least" 3 changes this week and that Paddy and Joey are definites.

The fact that Acres is not a definite in is ridiculous, I swear it's some kind of obstinacy from the coaches. WTF are they doing? He'll end up requesting a trade home and being a star. I'm losing faith in our ability to not implode. Richo needs hand holding, they should get him some experienced, quality assistants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's desperation, we had a complete collapse in the midfield and the whole forward line shat it's self on the same day. All the good stuff that Membery was doing last year seem to have dried up. Bruce is a bit better but not back to his 2015 form and Wright was terrible. Lonie was marginally better but still no world beater. At least he would offer hope. Gresham the only player that fired last week.
Wright was seeing stars.

I see injury being the only reason players come out:

Roo (knee) > Paddy
Wright (head) > Acres
Webster (leg) > Montagna
Armitage (groin) > I dunno, Sincs?

Paddy, Joey, and Dempster (if he wants to continue playing)

for Riewoldt, Armitage and Webster (who looked quite sore and limping heavily during the game)

I think they'd free up one more spot for Acres as well...
I'm not sure selecting Dempster does the whole supposed "integrity at selection" argument any good

I really think we need to get AFL games into him. We need some perspective with Paddy's development, he just hasn't got a decent run of games. The most AFL games he's played in a row is 4.

2015: Started his career with 2 AFL games, back to VFL for 9, in 4 AFL games, back to VFL for 1 and the season shut down.
2016: 4 AFL matches to start, then rested and relegated to VFL for 2, back into AFL for 3, concussed for 2, back for 2 AFL games, out with concussion again for 3, come back through VFL for 2, AFL 2, then got the collarbone.

In the same time frame, Darcy Moore has had a much more stable run at it with substantial runs of games of 7+.

If Paddy's fit, just pump the games in. Take the Riewoldt injury as an opportunity to develop the forward line so when he's actually gone for good it won't be a rude shock.

In: McCartin, Acres, Monty, Sinclair
Out: Roo, Armo, Webster, Wright

Change Wright's role to a resting mid and play Sinc and Acres in the middle a lot.

E: Had Wright and Sinc in the wrong spot.

Last edited:
My final side;

B: Geary, Brown, Roberton
HB: Montagna, Carlisle, Savage
C: Newnes, Ross, Billings
HF: Membery, Bruce, Weller
F: Lonie, McCartin, Wright
R: Hickey, Steven, Steele
Int: Dunstan, Gresham, Gilbert, Acres

In: Montagna, McCartin, Acres
Out: Armo, Riewoldt, Webster

Defence;
*Brown to start on Kennedy, needs a big one especially after the Dempster news.
*Carlisle to take Vardy/Giles. Hopefully Browny can hold JK and we don't have to switch these match ups.
*Roberton vs Darling, Geary vs Lecras.

Midfield;
*Steven to go H2H with Shuey, can't see us winning this game if we go in too defensively against their midfield.
*Dunstan and Steele to take Priddis at stoppages
*Ross gets the job on Mitchell. Seb was the most disappointing for me on Saturday, someone suggested this match up earlier in the thread and I'm all for it.
*Newnes to run with Gaff.

Forward;
*Membrey to play further up the ground
*Paddy/Bruce deep is a tough one. I feel we lose a lot of defensive pressure with Paddy deep although I think he is the perfect target for the long kick. Restricting McGoverns intercept marking will be massive, interesting to see how Richo handles this.

Absolutely no idea. When mccartin plays along with our 2 other forwards (Bruce and membry) atleast 2 out of the 3 play well, how did they go last week without paddy? It's not always about how he is doing on the stat sheet he is critical for the forward structure And takes a huge defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back