Round 2 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

i read someone said scarlett did well on lloyd well he averages 3or 4 goals on scarlett so i wouldnt say thats holding him,but geelong win something and every player is a champion
Someone on hear (DanA? Patrirdge?) argued that the Lloyd thing was a semi-myth, 'cause Lloyd often kicks goals on Scarlett in junk time.

If the midfield is break-even Essendon will win. More likely though that Geelong will win in the midfield and Essendons defenders in Fletcher and Michael will be too slow to keep up with Geelongs faster forwards.

Interesting to find out why you think Essendon would win if the midfield breaks even? I know this is last season but the Cats were the best offensive and defensive team in the competition. That would suggest that if the midfield was even, Geelong would win.

Our strength up forward is it's ability to share the load in goal kicking. Geelong kicked 15 goals and had 10 goal kickers last week compared to Essendon who kicked 19 goals and had 11 goal kickers. With Lucas out, stopping Lloyd means the match is half won. You can bet Geelong will have that spare player(Milburn or Harley) dropping back into Lloyd's path.

Also Essendon were really accurate(70%) in front of goals last week. If they keep that up, they will be hard to beat but I think maintaining that kind of accuracy week in week out is difficult. The Cats were only 50% accurate but managed 3 more scoring shots then Essendon and were playing in Adelaide.

It's no secret that our midfield has been shizen for years now so for lloyd to kick 3-4 in the last couple is excellent. Lets see how he goes now our midfield is a bit better.

i read someone said scarlett did well on lloyd well he averages 3or 4 goals on scarlett so i wouldnt say thats holding him,but geelong win something and every player is a champion
Lloyd has averaged 3 goals on scarlett in there past 7 encounters. Whilst only 3 of those games he kicked bags of goals, and were in junk time when Geelong had the game won. So I would say Scarlett has got the wood over Lloyd. Anyway with Lucas out, Geelong players are gonna drop back and nullify the supply Lloyd gets.
Check these stats if you don't believe me. http://www.finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=21&SeasonID=2003

Lloyd has averaged 3 goals on scarlett in there past 7 encounters. Whilst only 3 of those games he kicked bags of goals, and were in junk time when Geelong had the game won. So I would say Scarlett has got the wood over Lloyd. Anyway with Lucas out, Geelong players are gonna drop back and nullify the supply Lloyd gets.
Check these stats if you don't believe me. http://www.finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=21&SeasonID=2003

3 Goals a match is about average for most key forwards these days but why specifically limit it to 7 matches.
Lloyd has a career average of 4.2 Goals against Scarlett - Higher than his average and higher than the average of any Key forward going around. Interestingly Scarlett only averages 9.7 disposals a game against Lloyd against his career average of 13.7

Some Facts:

Joel Corey has averaged 30 disposals in his past three games against the Bombers.

Paul Chapman has totalled 66 disposals and four goals in his past two games against Essendon.

Matthew Lloyd has kicked 46 goals in his past 11 games against Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys,

Just got one thing to say to some Geelong fans that think they will smash us.

Don't Underestimate the Bombers. We gave you a great shake last year lads and that was without some of the quick and pacy players we have now.

Gonna be one hell of a game and a great test for our young kids and as a previous post said men vs boys. David vs Goliath sounds better.

Although I think that the Cats will get up, wouldn't be surprised if we pip ya ;) good luck guys

hunts probaly one our fastest players in our team look at his first 5 metres.

Yeah but you know what I mean. It is as much to do with Mobility as anything else. He just isn't light enough on his feet. Tenace has been ommited and DJ is on the bench so I might have my wish.

3 Goals a match is about average for most key forwards these days but why specifically limit it to 7 matches.
Lloyd has a career average of 4.2 Goals against Scarlett - Higher than his average and higher than the average of any Key forward going around. Interestingly Scarlett only averages 9.7 disposals a game against Lloyd against his career average of 13.7

Lloyd has averaged 4.4 goals a game at the Dome over his career. Thereis no doubt Scarlett plays well on him. There is also no doubt both of them are great players, capable of cleaning the other up on any given day.

If either team is relying on this to happen to win, we are sadly mistaken....midfield boys, thats what its all about this Sunday

While stoping lloyd will help we had I think it was 11 seperate goal kickers against NM.
Correct, but you will not kick 19 goals against our defence.

Geelong with *******e Essendon. There are literally a maximum of 3 positions on the field where I MIGHT rate the ability of the Essendon player over his Geelong opponent. Multiply the amount of contests during a game with the ratio of Geelongs match up dominance and you will get a clear winner. The team work aspect - Geelong run like a well oiled machine; Essendon run like a bunch of school kids. I said it before, the only thing stopping this from a blow out in Geelongs favour will be inaccuracy in front of goals or a final quarter snooze due to laziness.

Just like you were meant to slaughter us last year...well you did in the end, but we stuck right with you for the first 3 quaters until injuries to key players on the night (Davey and Hird) and dropping our bundle after you guys slammed on some kick goals to start the last quarter.

In the lead up to that game, it was meant to be a matter of how many and that we had no hope of competing with you.

I'm not saying I expect to beat you guys, I just wondering where this idea that our midfield is "slight" has come from.

You guys should be able to beat us, and beat us fairly easily (4-5 goals) given that you are the reigning premiers and we are coming of a 3rd straight bottom 5 finish.

All I was saying is that we do have some big bodies in the midfield to get the ball out to the smaller, slight running players.

And I agree with DanA...I reckon the key matchup of the game will be Cameron Ling on Jobe Watson.

Don't forget that last time we played was Hird's 250th and Rama's comeback game, so there was a lot of emotion on Essendon's part, and they played accordingly. That emotion won't be there this time.

you are right there!!!

WE WILL KICK MORE THAN 19

A good questions is... When was the last time a team kicked 19 goals against Geelong? I can't recall it happening for a long time, i could be wrong.

One thing I know... Essendon played a HALF of decent footy against a team that were terrible!! Essendon got absolutely crushed early, but Roos couldn't put the score on the board. Geelong will not let this happen I can guarantee.

The nerve / arrogance to think these chumps are a chance.... That midfield may be fast but you need to win the ball first, thats the key. Our bodies are much bigger, more skillful and much more dangerous by hand / foot. We are stronger ALL over the ground... No chance for the Bombers.

Be prepared to be brought back down to earth where you belong... you are not a premiership contender!!

I wish I was as confident as some of my fellow Catters in this thread. We badly ran out off puff about half way through the third quarter last week and we have more than a few out. Hille looked in great touch against the Roos wheras sadly, Blakey and West did not.

I think the extra days preparation will be invaluable but I reckon this game will be a lot closer than many of us think. Cats by about three goals only.

regards,

REB

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 2 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back