Round 2 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

first of all we played well for 3/4 of the game last week... we won three quarters and i think teams can be excused for having a poor start to the game especially in round 1.

second we are not a physically weak team, we have players like mcveigh, JJ, watson, houli (his not a skinny kid anymore), slattery, welsh (although he is not playing this w/e), even players like mcphee running through the midfeild, to add to that we have a ruck combination of hille/laycock compared to your combo of west/blake (given ottens isnt playing)... i wouldnt be saying you are too superior in terms of physicality in the midfeild

thirdy i dont see any reasonable essendon supporter saying that we are a premiership contender we are sayign we wont get flogged by geelong and that we shouldnt be underestimated. given we often play well against your side. if you think that geelong are sooo good that they will go the whole year not losing a game you are mistaken. i guarantee geelong will be beaten this year (hell you didnt win convincingly last week) and if your team go in with the same veiw as you it will be this week.

Have you not watched any Geelong games?? Jimmy Bartel is one of the hardets footballers running around! Is always taking strong marks running back witht he fllight of the ball, and standing up in big tackles! Chapman is as tough a nut as you will find, Ablett is the strongest player below the waist in the AFL and Selwood has no fear whatsoever, and throws himself at everyone and everything!
Whilst I think it will be a great game of footy, no doubt Geelong are much stronger physically in the middle and this will be where the game is won!!!

prismall shouldn't blame anyone else apart from himself for continually not getting picked even though he's good enough. was never gonna be in the first team and can't even break in when there are spots up there. i think geelong fans were banking on selwood moving to half-back, allowing prismall to play in the middle. should have gone to another club... essendon?

Who cares?? The facts from my previous post still remain... and they are exactly that, FACTS. Our bodies are far bigger in the midfield.. Ablett / Bartell / Ling / Corey are all nudging 90kg... The players you've mentioned are not comparable to 4AA's and the rising star of '07 so quit it.

Bottom line.... the media have blown up the Bombers with all this 'Speed' talk, its rubbish. Look what all these undersized speedy players did for the Bulldogs in '07??? NOTHING!! They traded a heap of them.. :rolleyes:

ablett - 85kg
bartell - 86kg
ling - 94kg
corey - 87kg

some of the players i meantioned
houli 84kg
mcveigh - 85kg
slattery- 84kg
watson- 88kg

lets not forget either that normally players who are taller will weigh more then the smaller players (in terms of height). and bartel, ling, corey are all a fair bit taller then players like houli, mcveigh and slattery..

i never argued that our midfeild was more skilled that obviously is not the case however i did argue that your midfeild is not necessarily bigger bodied then our midfeild.. as you said "our bodies are far bigger in the midfeild" that obviously is not the case.

then you went on to compare us to the bulldogs, our KPP are our strength, that is the bulldogs weakness. i would say there is no comparison between a bulldogs side and ours, bulldogs didnt have players like lloyd, lucas, fletcher and mal holding up the spine.

Re Firstly: I thought the Roos out played Essendon in the first half but were unlucky on the scoreboard.

Re: Secondly: I would say you are physically a very weak side, even the midfeilders you mention are on average 4 kg lighter than ours. Mcphee is a Princes, do you remeber what happened when he ran in to Hawkins? Laycock is also piss weak, I saw a photo of him with his shirt off taken about two months ago, he had man boobs.

Re Thirdly: You don't often play well against us. YOu have lost 4 of the last 5. We may be beaten but it won't be by a bottom 4 side like Essendon.

second quarter stats. shots at goal kangaroos 6, essendon 8. we won the quarter by 22 points.. yes we had better conversion but we did win that quarter, even in general play anyone who was watching would have known that.

i wouldnt say we are physically intimidating but to say we are physically weak is very incorrect. i cant remember the last time we were intimidated (physically) out of the game by any side... running into hawkins is a pretty big task itself i cant remember the actualy event your talking about but i would say 99% of the AFL players running into hawkins would come off second best.. that isnt really the point anyway, point is i cant remember a time where we were physically intimidated by another team.. in fact whenever a game does get physical we normally lift..

the fact that we have lost 4 of the last 5 matches is irrellevant, you have been the better performed side over the past 4 or 5 years.... easily in fact. in theory that would mean you would win around 80% of the matches if you are far more dominant that year.

Have you not watched any Geelong games?? Jimmy Bartel is one of the hardets footballers running around! Is always taking strong marks running back witht he fllight of the ball, and standing up in big tackles! Chapman is as tough a nut as you will find, Ablett is the strongest player below the waist in the AFL and Selwood has no fear whatsoever, and throws himself at everyone and everything!
Whilst I think it will be a great game of footy, no doubt Geelong are much stronger physically in the middle and this will be where the game is won!!!

omg do people read posts here? i never said essendons midfeild were more skilled or go in harder!!!! i said in terms of the stronger bodies the sides are pretty much even perhaps geelong slightly infront. i never said anything about hardness at the footy or about the skill of each respective midfeild FFS (READ MUCH??).
ILL REPEAT.. IN TERMS OF BODY STRENGTH geelong are not far superior.. in terms of skills geelong are far superior. in terms of hardness at the footy i would say geelong are superior, but in general body strength they are not far superior as a highlighted before the respective weight of our midfeilders are relatively even with the exception of cameron ling (whose weight is increased by his height)

omg do people read posts here? i never said essendons midfeild were more skilled or go in harder!!!! i said in terms of the stronger bodies the sides are pretty much even perhaps geelong slightly infront. i never said anything about hardness at the footy or about the skill of each respective midfeild FFS (READ MUCH??).
ILL REPEAT.. IN TERMS OF BODY STRENGTH geelong are not far superior.. in terms of skills geelong are far superior. in terms of hardness at the footy i would say geelong are far superior, but in general body strength they are not far superior as a highlighted before the respective weight of our midfeilders are relatively even with the exception of cameron ling (whose weight is increased by his height)

Geelong's midfield have far superior everything in comparison to Essendon's, including body strength.

Does anyone remember Last time these teams played. Hawkins picked up 2 essendon players and just tossed 'em aside, I think McPhee was one of them. :D

Geelong's midfield have far superior everything in comparison to Essendon's, including body strength.

i got a bit distracted by all the bullshit some people were replying to my post. origanally someone (cant remember read the posts above and you will see) said geelong have far BIGGER bodies in their midfeild. look at the weights of the key midfeilders i listed above, with the exception of ling who doesnt have a big body in terms of muscle compared to other midfeilders his weight represents mostly his height..

then everyone replied saying that what i said was rubbish and that geelong are far more skilled and hard at the ball.... someone show me where i ever said essendon had better skills or were harder at the ball?

point is someone said that geelongs midfeild has far bigger bodies and that is wrong, i highlighted that out and instead of realising that one of their fellow supporters were wrong they claimed for some reason i commented on the skills and hardness of each respective midfeild...

someone tell me the logic in that?

Does anyone remember Last time these teams played. Hawkins picked up 2 essendon players and just tossed 'em aside, I think McPhee was one of them. :D

aha so hawkins is soo huge that in the middle of a football match he just picked up mcphee with one hand another essendon player in the other just for the hell of it??

seems realistic to me

point is someone said that geelongs midfeild has far bigger bodies and that is wrong, i highlighted that out and instead of realising that one of their fellow supporters were wrong they claimed for some reason i commented on the skills and hardness of each respective midfeild...

someone tell me the logic in that?

Well, the fact that we are such an imposing force in the midfield, it must rub off that way. Your midfield has been among the weakest in the AFL for several seasons... if weight / size is not the issue then it gets worse.. your players must be soft or just unable to compete at a skills level... if you want some logic there it is sunshine. :D

Either that or perhaps Sheedy was dragging that list downwards, as many do believe. If the team turns around very quickly(not that I think it will, nor does the coach) it's pretty damming evidence that Sheeds was not doing any good.

Well, the fact that we are such an imposing force in the midfield, it must rub off that way. Your midfield has been among the weakest in the AFL for several seasons... if weight / size is not the issue then it gets worse.. your players must be soft or just unable to compete at a skills level... if you want some logic there it is sunshine. :D

Either that or perhaps Sheedy was dragging that list downwards, as many do believe. If the team turns around very quickly(not that I think it will, nor does the coach) it's pretty damming evidence that Sheeds was not doing any good.

i agree it has been weak mostly because our midfeild was not accountable and our skills were not quite up to AFL standard... from what i have seen at training, reports, and preseason + premiership games ours skills have significantly improved (still have a long way to go) and knights game plan seems to make us a lot more accountable..

weight/size was never the issue (if it was why would we get rid of players like heffernan, MJ etc and replace them with players like dempsey, jetta, davey)... it was skill and accountability that was the issue..

i agree ive said in every post i have written on the topic that sheedy was not a good coach the last few years.... he played many players out of position (for example mcphee as a KP defender, laycock playing off the bench not going forward, MJ on the small quick forward like eddie betts, leon davis etc, lucas down back.. there is countless examples)... i was one for sheedy to be removed, i thought it was necessary..

that wasnt really logic though you still didnt reply to my point in the first place.. i said in terms of big bodies geelong were not far superior in the midfeild then essendon... if you think otherwise then prove me wrong dont just make up things that i didnt say and try to make it out like i did say them like your fellow supporters were doing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the game on free to air live on sunday? i lookeat yourtv.com.au and it said it starts at 3:10 but its live?? confused

Physical size does count for something, but in the grand scheme of things its only just one part. It won't really do you that much good if you can match our strength, if you keep turning the ball over due to our pressure and poor skill levels.

i said in terms of big bodies geelong were not far superior in the midfeild then essendon... if you think otherwise then prove me wrong dont just make up things that i didnt say and try to make it out like i did say them like your fellow supporters were doing

Mate, I think you've done it yourself (proved you wrong that is). If you do the math on the weights you quoted, Geelong are ahead by 11kg. Maybe not FAR superior, but superior nevertheless.

i agree it has been weak mostly because our midfeild was not accountable and our skills were not quite up to AFL standard... from what i have seen at training, reports, and preseason + premiership games ours skills have significantly improved (still have a long way to go) and knights game plan seems to make us a lot more accountable..

weight/size was never the issue (if it was why would we get rid of players like heffernan, MJ etc and replace them with players like dempsey, jetta, davey)... it was skill and accountability that was the issue..

i agree ive said in every post i have written on the topic that sheedy was not a good coach the last few years.... he played many players out of position (for example mcphee as a KP defender, laycock playing off the bench not going forward, MJ on the small quick forward like eddie betts, leon davis etc, lucas down back.. there is countless examples)... i was one for sheedy to be removed, i thought it was necessary..

that wasnt really logic though you still didnt reply to my point in the first place.. i said in terms of big bodies geelong were not far superior in the midfeild then essendon... if you think otherwise then prove me wrong dont just make up things that i didnt say and try to make it out like i did say them like your fellow supporters were doing

Like I said in the last post, maybe it just seems like we are so much bigger being that we give nearly every midfield a lesson. Its one thing to have a big body... its another to be able to use it to your advantage... I guess it depends which way you look at things doesn't it?

Either way... those players you named may be as big as some of our guys but how about the others?? We have size everywhere and rotate many others into the midfield. Davey, Jetta, Dyson etc.. will struggle to win the ball against ANY of our rotated mids... purely because they are too small.

Still can't believe Mcveigh is 85kgs.. He's not carrying that weight were it counts, not a strong body in the contests.

Like I said in the last post, maybe it just seems like we are so much bigger being that we give nearly every midfield a lesson. Its one thing to have a big body... its another to be able to use it to your advantage... I guess it depends which way you look at things doesn't it?

Either way... those players you named may be as big as some of our guys but how about the others?? We have size everywhere and rotate many others into the midfield. Davey, Jetta, Dyson etc.. will struggle to win the ball against ANY of our rotated mids... purely because they are too small.

Still can't believe Mcveigh is 85kgs.. He's not carrying that weight were it counts, not a strong body in the contests.

davey jetta dyson are part time midfeilders, they dont spend a lot of time there. davey and jetta are mostly there for their defensive pressure anyway and dyson is a receiver, he doesnt win the hard ball for us anyway. most teams have players like that who run into their midfeild in bursts...

got it from the essendon website.... i would say mcveigh is a pretty strong body, ever watch him shrug a tackle?? he may not look overly huge like someone say like chapman but he is bloody strong...

i realise that big bodies isnt something that is critical to a midfeild in fact i never said it was important at all... another cat supporter was claiming geelong were better because of their so called "bigger bodies" but they dont have far bigger bodies... if he had of said we are better because of our skills and hardness of the ball i would have agreed.

its a perception like you said that you have far bigger bodies, not reality...

Mate, I think you've done it yourself (proved you wrong that is). If you do the math on the weights you quoted, Geelong are ahead by 11kg. Maybe not FAR superior, but superior nevertheless.

yeh i said in all my posts that you are probably just ahead in that department but definately not far superior.. i would really call ling a bigger body based on his weight though.... if you compare him to someone like JJ, JJ would have the bigger body but weighs less... ling is not your ordinary midfeilder he is one of the tallest midfeilders in the league and thats why his weight was so much higher then anyone else...

but yeh i acknowledged your point in my previous posts and said perhaps geelong are slightly ahead but not far ahead like the other poster was saying

could be on the cards , Just carnt see Wojo recovering that quick. who knows
Could come down to a last minute test of the finger... either Pris or Wojak could be beneficial. Speed, breaking the lines or countering the Bombers pace brigade, or a bigger body around the contests. Win/Win:D

In saying that, Pris should be right.

I am so pumped for this match , love watching this Bomber side play , Last years game was a fantastic contest with there young kids and now a little older they should really be in there for a good challenge. Although I think we will be too good and too experienced for them it should be one of the games of the year for us.
Tony can I just say what you just said but add that the emphasis is the experience in the Geelong camp. More concerned about the disciplined aspects of the game the could really hurt us
Interesting to find out why you think Essendon would win if the midfield breaks even? I know this is last season but the Cats were the best offensive and defensive team in the competition. That would suggest that if the midfield was even, Geelong would win..

and its a shame that I edited your post because you made other very good points re Geelong. But the one comment I wished to reply to was the defensive component that your midfield has had to assist both your defense and forward structures in the Cats team. Every side now knows post 2007 that this has to be broken down. And the Essendon midfield and running play is cloned on the beautiful footy that G'long played. That’s the danger. Dana is right too re ling on Watson as ling will do better away from bounces and clearance plays as well.

One further comment on the game, I know that scarlett is capable of holding LLoyd but I reckon he is different player this time around and wil play better without Lucas in the side. Also will run much further upfield if Scarlett is too damaging down back to free up others.

Geelong with *******e Essendon. There are literally a maximum of 3 positions on the field where I MIGHT rate the ability of the Essendon player over his Geelong opponent. Multiply the amount of contests during a game with the ratio of Geelongs match up dominance and you will get a clear winner. The team work aspect - Geelong run like a well oiled machine; Essendon run like a bunch of school kids. I said it before, the only thing stopping this from a blow out in Geelongs favour will be inaccuracy in front of goals or a final quarter snooze due to laziness.
But love this. Its your board and voice your opinion as you will but I suggest that you are grossly infatuated with last years standings and this really is a different game. I reckon the odds are about right but would expect them to be much higher if you were setting the dividends.

If you think that sodomy is the prize then I am happy to chip in a coin or ten if the trophy should be award the other way for some other bugger to remind you. Might also suggest that you will swallow more than the 'running game' in such an event.

In any event, post game I'll come back to collect your sentiments but keep your pants on dude.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 2 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back