Preview Round 20 - Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns, Sat 27, 4:35PM; People First Stadium, Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looking for a preview writer this week - any volunteers, or we can roll this over.
Hey mate, I have no idea how to write a preview or even what I'm talking about, but saw your pin was still there, and I had a few hours on a train in Germany, so thought I'd have a crack. Is this useful?...

-----

QClash Heats Up: Brisbane Lions Aim for 8th Straight Win Against Gold Coast Suns

Big brother versus little brother. Sunshine State bragging rights. The stage is set for another epic as the Brisbane Lions travel south to take on the Gold Coast Suns in QClash 27.

Date:
Saturday, 27 July, 2024
Start Time: 4:35pm (AEST)
Stadium: People First Stadium

Weather Conditions
  • Temperature: 26°C
  • Precipitation: 0%
  • Humidity: 62%
  • Wind: 14 km/h
Perfect conditions are expected, favouring a fast-paced, high-scoring game, with high winds potentially affecting high marking contests. The Suns are hoping for a capacity crowd of 20,000+ to break the attendance record, however, potential train disruptions could affect Lions fans making the trip. Any impact that the crowd has had on the GC Suns’ home form, is therefore likely to be in full play for this game.

Tale of Two Teams

The Suns boast a perfect home record this season but haven't yet faced a current top-four team. Can they maintain their dominance against the in-form Lions in their biggest remaining test?

It's the classic Queensland derby, pitting the "big brother" Brisbane Lions against the "little brother" Gold Coast Suns. The Suns' inconsistency has plagued their season, recently falling to the Giants. However, their perfect home record this season gives them hope. Sitting in 12th, six points adrift from the 8th spot, this is probably a must-win for the Suns.

The Brisbane Lions are riding high with seven consecutive victories, their latest a nail-biting two-point win over the Sydney Swans. As they eye a top-2 finish, they need to maintain their winning momentum.

While the rivalry in the Q-Clash can sometimes feel manufactured…
lions twitter.jpg
Both teams have too much on the line for this match to be anything less than full throttle.

The view from Brisbane
Brisbane's preparation for the QClash has been a whirlwind. The week leading up to their previous match was dominated by the Charlie Cameron tribunal saga, with constant media scrutiny adding tension before the game against the Swans. Adding to the stress levels, the final ten minutes against the Swans were a nail-biter, featuring five lead changes and soaring heartrates. As if that wasn't enough, uncertainty surrounding Harris Andrews' injury overshadowed the post-game celebrations, with news later confirming a delayed concussion that will sideline him for the Suns clash.

Lions form: WWWWW
  • R19: Brisbane 79-77 Sydney
  • R18: West Coast 93-106 Brisbane
  • R17: Brisbane 97-86 Adelaide
  • R16: Brisbane 86-81 Melbourne
  • R15: Port Adelaide 73-152 Brisbane
The view from the Gold Coast
Meanwhile, the Suns' inconsistency continues to plague them. They're fresh off a demoralising loss to the Giants, where even gilt-edged chances went begging. Coleman Medal contender Ben King had a nightmare game, failing to convert any of his seven shots.

The Suns are pulling out all the stops, recruiting from anywhere and everywhere, this week signing ex-cricketer, Zak Evans who last played football at school level. “As a football club, we are continuously striving to improve our list and this includes players from non-traditional pathways,” said Suns National Recruiting Manager, Kall Burns.

Though the game wasn’t without silver linings. Lachie Weller returned from his torn ACL, getting 16 disposals from half-forward and looking like he was never gone. Sam Flanders stepped up in the midfield to gather 43 disposals, while Jack Lukosius looked dangerous with two goals.

Suns form: LWLWL
  • R19: GWS 89-50 Gold Coast
  • R18: Gold Coast 96-82 Port Adelaide
  • R17: North Melbourne 87-83 Gold Coast
  • R16: Gold Coast 101-90 Collingwood
  • R15: Fremantle 85-65 Gold Coast
H2H Results
Brisbane has won four of the previous five H2H results against Gold Coast.

Injuries and Team Changes

Brisbane Lions

Brisbane faces a daunting task with several defensive injuries - as Fages put it: “we’re not having much luck with our tall defenders, I think we’ve got about 1 left, so we’ll have to be a bit innovative this week”.

Harris Andrews' delayed concussion means he will miss the clash against the Suns, placing immense pressure on leaders like Dayne Zorko and Ryan Lester to anchor the backline. The Lions are already without Tom Doedee and Darcy Gardiner for the season due to ACL injuries, and Jack Payne is still recovering from a foot problem. This leaves their defensive stocks thin, and Darragh Joyce is also a doubt with a jaw injury that might require surgery.

Logan Morris is expected to return after a strong performance in the reserves, potentially replacing Henry Smith, who debuted against the Swans. Connor McKenna, rested previously, could also come back, although Shadeau Brain’s impressive display might keep him out of the side.

Eric Hipwood avoided suspension and remains available, and having played a few minutes back against Sydney, may be shifted to support the defence, affecting the Lions’ attacking dynamics. Jackson Prior may be another option, potentially to take the responsibility of shutting down Jack Lukosius.

Gold Coast Suns
The Suns have their share of injury woes, with Touk Miller and Sam Day both sidelined since the Port Adelaide clash. Ben Ainsworth is out for the season, and Alex Davies is suspended, further depleting their ranks.

Jarrod Witts in the ruck is a test for this game, and his presence could be pivotal against Brisbane's Oscar McInerney. If Witts is fit, the Lions may need to rely on their newest gun ruckman, Charlie Cameron, to take some of the weight off of Big-O’s shoulders.

Tactical Snapshot

Brisbane Lions

The Lions will likely emphasise their kick/mark game. They lead the competition in average kicks and 3rd for marks inside 50, reflecting their ability to control the ball and create scoring opportunities. This composed approach in the forward 50 has been a consistent strength, with the Lions’ abysmal early-season form being largely down to inefficiency kicking at goal.

However, the Lions face a significant challenge due to a depleted defence. With several key defenders out, they must find a way to compensate for the loss, potentially reassigning players like Eric Hipwood to support the backline at the expense of some attacking fluidity.

Gold Coast Suns
The Suns will rely on their speed and ability to create overlap run through handball chains, a tactic that has been effective at home. They excel in generating fast breaks and linking up play, but their high turnover rate remains a critical weakness. The Suns average the highest number of turnovers in the league, while the Lions are the second-best at avoiding them.

Ben King will be looking to right the ship. With no experienced defenders to square up against him, he can expect to get a few chances, so it remains to be seen if he has his shooting boots on.

Players to watch
The battle in the centre of the ground will be a fascinating duel. Matt Rowell, the Suns’ clearance machine, will hope to consistently win possession from both stoppages and centre bounces. Meanwhile Lachie Neale will look to gain ground on a third Brownlow medal and get back to dictating the game. Whichever player asserts their dominance in the midfield is likely to have a significant influence on the final outcome.

matchup.png

Key questions
  • How will Brisbane manage its defensive injury woes and keep the GC forwards quiet?
  • Will Logan Morris continue to impress against the team he made his debut against only a few months ago?
  • Could Stuart Dew use his 1-day-a-week to give us the inside scoop on the Suns’ weaknesses and make the difference?
  • Can the Gold Coast hold their home record against the stiffest opposition they’ve faced at First Choice Arena or People’s First Stadium, whatever it’s called?

Verdict
The stage is set for another enthralling chapter in the QClash rivalry. Both teams enter the match with plenty at stake. Brisbane are charging for a top-two finish, while the Suns desperately need a victory to maintain their fading finals hopes.

The Suns shouldn't be underestimated. Matt Rowell and Sam Flanders will fight for control, and if a home crowd turns up it could create a tense atmosphere. They’ll be fighting to extend their undefeated home record, and will be loath to allow the Lions to not only end their streak, but possibly also their finals hopes.

However, the Lions' current form and their dominance in stoppage clearances (ranked 1st compared to Gold Coast's 15th) make them favourites. Brain, Ah Chee, McCluggage, Bailey, and Rayner all stepped up against the Swans, and with the Suns unlikely to run a hard tag, key players Lachie Neale and Josh Dunkley can be expected to bounce back after their quiet showings. If the Lions can win the battle in the middle, they should have more than enough to compensate for a makeshift defence.

Final Score: Gold Coast Suns 80 - Brisbane Lions 112

What have I missed in selection and match-up? How do you think they’ll line up and what’s your prediction?

Last edited:
Hey mate, I have no idea how to write a preview or even what I'm talking about, but saw your pin was still there, and I had a few hours on a train in Germany, so thought I'd have a crack. Is this useful?...
100%! Congrats on the promotion to standalone thread.

Pl2E3UAH.jpg

#LesterPower

Great preview and don’t worry mate, none of us do.

Given the circumstances I think we are all members of 3KZ’s Lester army this week by necessity #LesterArmy 1721785140308.jpeg

Last edited:
Give Zee a crack.
I'm a fan of blooding him soon to see if it brings about a big improvement, but maybe next week instead where he'll have Harris back to take the #1 key forward. Going up against King or Lukosius would be a bit of a trial by fire for ZZ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a nice headache it would be if Hipwood did a Liam Jones, or a Leppa!

After considering all the bad ideas on the changes thread, I’m coming around to the idea of giving Eric first crack at King. King isn’t going to out muscle him, Eric’s field kicking is first rate and Eric’s pace may actually be an advantage. Prior to come in to play third tall.

Smith stays in /or is replaced by Fort. Morris comes in and replaces Eric in the forward line.

I think these are the best bad ideas from the BigFooty “Brain” trust.

I know it is a big game for us too but the win over Sydney probably makes this one not quite as do or did as it might have otherwise been, therefore to me, given our outs, all the pressure is on the GC and they don’t seem to do well when that’s the case. It’ll either be a boil over or we get smashed, I just don’t sense this one being super close either way…and I’m probably completely wrong.

Last time we had 4 injuries (Starce, Answerth, McCarthy, Gardiner) 2 down in bench by end of Q1, a bloke wearing wrong shoe size and playing his second game of the day - still managed to smash the Suns.

I wonder we'll wheel out the same treatment this time too with our entire tall back line missing. If we manage that, Suns morale will be damaged badly considering its on their home deck.

Last time we had 4 injuries (Starce, Answerth, McCarthy, Gardiner) 2 down in bench by end of Q1, a bloke wearing wrong shoe size and playing his second game of the day - still managed to smash the Suns.

I wonder we'll wheel out the same treatment this time too with our entire tall back line missing. If we manage that, Suns morale will be damaged badly considering its on their home deck.
You never know sometimes out of adversity and a few enforced changes you can go really well.

On paper Harris is a big out . I still think we'll win well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back