Preview Round 20 - Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns, Sat 27, 4:35PM; People First Stadium, Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riddle me this. Eric comes out and plays a blinder this week in defence/on King. The forward line functions well mobility wise with Joe and a bunch of smalls and mediums (Cam/Cal etc) at his feet.

Harris is back next week but we are still undersized a bit with only him and Lester available. Where does Eric line up then?

I think I’m at the stage where I’ve mentally got my head around that we probably drop this game, but seeing how Hipwood goes down there is a bit exciting, if for no other reason then it may give us another option in game moving forward.

Riddle me this. Eric comes out and plays a blinder this week in defence/on King. The forward line functions well mobility wise with Joe and a bunch of smalls and mediums (Cam/Cal etc) at his feet.

Harris is back next week but we are still undersized a bit with only him and Lester available. Where does Eric line up then?

I think I’m at the stage where I’ve mentally got my head around that we probably drop this game, but seeing how Hipwood goes down there is a bit exciting, if for no other reason then it may give us another option in game moving forward.

Goes forward. Too late in the season to tinker. Valuable anyway because we need a swingman

Anyone have gps stats on Morris? My hunch is he doesn’t get around the ground heaps nor is overly quick. He just reads the play well, doesn’t get sucked in to the contest and is damaging. Not sure he’d make a good defender at all
This would have been my view until watching the VFL last week. That is ‘doesn’t get involved around the ground and isn’t quick”, but had did an incredible run off wing/half back with three involvements in the procession chain, ending in a goal.

However I’m not sure this qualifies him as a defender. My view is leave him to learn further forward craft as a forward.

If he plays a blinder? Backline. If we have someone good enough to shut down the opposition's #1 key forward, it leaves Harris free to roam and intercept once he's back. Payne isn't coming back for a while. Neither is Joyce.

I really don't get the Hipwood down back talk when on song he's our best forward Morris if wants back in the team should play back
But is he on song? I'm not saying he's been bad, but four goals and zero contested marks in the past four games isn't lighting the world on fire. Of course we'd rather him play forward but we have nobody tall and mobile down back, and he's tall and mobile.

Hipwood will play CHB and win the Ashcroft Medal.
Why stop there - Hippy for the Norm Smith!
Saints next week who are short, Giants the following week is an issue
Giants are deceptively short in the forward line.

Hogan is obviously a real target, but Cadman is still developing and Riccardi doesn't use his height to any advantage - instead preferring to jump for the speccy (to the point where I just looked at his height and realised I thought he was a good couple of inches shorter than he actually is).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This would have been the perfect opportunity for Hardwick to bring Day or Casboult in to really stretch our 3rd tall e.g. Prior or Starce. We are fortunate they are injured as I could see Prior or Starce handling Walter much better at this stage.

Alastair Lynch says Lions shouldn't put Hipwood in defense.

The depletion has led to speculation that 203cm giant Hipwood – a former under-18 All-Australian defender – could be shifted into Brisbane’s backline to nullify a Suns forward arsenal that includes Ben King (202cm) as well as sizeable pair Jed Walter and Jack Lukosius.
However, Lynch said he would be reluctant to tinker with Brisbane’s forward framework to try to patch up the defence.
“I’d stay with the structure they have in place in the forwards,” the three-time premiership winner said.
“They should back themselves to restrict the ball from entering Gold Coast’s forward line.”
Lynch said the likes of Lester and Brandon Starcevich would also need to “play bigger” in Brisbane’s backline in the absence of Andrews, Joyce and Payne.
Lynch said the Suns had “no margin for error” such was the pressure they had put on themselves this season with their poor away form.
“If they can win this game, it still gives them a chance of finishing in the top eight,” he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back