Preview Round 20 - Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns, Sat 27, 4:35PM; People First Stadium, Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason Henry Smith got a reprieve is because he is tall IMO, don't like the call but I hope it works out for us.
I still maintain that Fort would be better at this level even if Smith may have been better in the reserves.

I’m not against Smith but I hate seeing players play at senior level when it is so obvious they’re out of their depth and you’re effectively one short. Thought the same when Tunstill debuted. Smiths debut was up there as one of the worse and it’s unfair on him like Tunstill being asked to debut against the red hot ladder leaders even though I think he’ll be ready in about 26.

With Witts coming in and Moyle staying in, it's a pretty good call IMO - those guys really could work over Oscar if he's really solo rucking.
Particularly if Joe does take on defensive duties (even part-time). He won't be as available to give Oscar the chop out when needed.

I am glad they omitted Alex Sexton, it is my perception that he generally plays very well against us.

I still maintain that Fort would be better at this level even if Smith may have been better in the reserves.

I’m not against Smith but I hate seeing players play at senior level when it is so obvious they’re out of their depth and you’re effectively one short. Thought the same when Tunstill debuted. Smiths debut was up there as one of the worse and it’s unfair on him like Tunstill being asked to debut against the red hot ladder leaders even though I think he’ll be ready in about 26.

Think it's hard to make a call on a tall in their debut, but I think it's safe to say he wouldn't be playing if we weren't depleted.

Think he's absolutely a better option than Fort though, and we really need him to play his role on Saturday. Doesn't need to be flashy, just predictable.

Without any intelligence as to who we're intending to play in the back half there is some possibility that Joe could tear it up back there. He must be getting sick of being the guy in front whom the opposition takes a pot shot at every time he goes up. I think he'd be fine especially at the kick in where he could run his 20m and launch it. The issue is he's performing a valuable role for us of which Smith would offer around 15 % of the impact.

Give him a chance mate.
He had a better debut than JB.
If he plays a bit more in the ruck in this game he will have a good chance to get himself into the game.
I don’t remember Brody Grundy (one of the best rucks this year) giving him a bath on the weekend?
I actually thought he competed quite well when in the ruck.
He gets his chance to back it up and go again and show us a bit more of what he is about.

Give him a chance mate.
If he plays a bit more in the ruck in this game he will have a good chance to get himself into the game.
I don’t remember Brody Grundy (one of the best rucks this year) giving him a bath on the weekend?
He gets his chance to back it up and go again and show us a bit more of what he is about.
I really like the way he moved and got into position. He coughed it up from there but you'd have to think the experience will do him the world of good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joe's football is too dumb to play full back.

Bruce was dropped because 3 subs in a row is not good - Brain must play.

Henry - we crave height because if they play Moyle & Witts and we don't have him, they are home.

If we play Prior, that leaves Cal to be omitted.

Glad it is not my job.

If we do play Daniher forward, I wonder if thinking comes from not whether Hippy or Joe is better back, but more which of their roles Henry Smith can more easily replace. In that lens sending Joey back so Smith plays deep forward and second ruck, instead of a hard running mobile second tall, works for me. And Morris back in the third tall role that Henry had last week. Joey could have a bit of fun back there too and get a rest from ruck duties...

If we do play Daniher forward, I wonder if thinking comes from not whether Hippy or Joe is better back, but more which of their roles Henry Smith can more easily replace. In that lens sending Joey back so Smith plays deep forward and second ruck, instead of a hard running mobile second tall, works for me. And Morris back in the third tall role that Henry had last week. Joey could have a bit of fun back there too and get a rest from ruck duties...
Joe has been turning up in our D50 quite regularly lately, maybe he likes it down there.;)

I just figured he was lost!
At least my Mum will stop complaining how "unproductive" he is in our forward line ;)

(Opinions are not the same in our family so don't worry Joey)

Give him a chance mate.
We must’ve been watching different games but that is ok.

I thought he looked over awed (understandably) and second guessed himself the whole game particularly that instance in the half forward where he stopped to basically handball because he had no clue what to do and certainly didn’t back himself like say Morris did.

Also the Brown comparison is a bit silly. Brown was in his first year and Smith is in his fourth year.

Anyway, he couldn’t do any worse than last week and like I said I just thought debuting him against the flying Swans was kinda setting him up to fail in a finals like game. Not many adjust to the pace like Wilmot and Morris did in debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back