Preview Round 20 - Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns, Sat 27, 4:35PM; People First Stadium, Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on Elixuh. His name is Christian.

War Omg GIF by Bombay Softwares

Accountability. I'm going to own this error. It is a bad one.

Without any intelligence as to who we're intending to play in the back half there is some possibility that Joe could tear it up back there. He must be getting sick of being the guy in front whom the opposition takes a pot shot at every time he goes up. I think he'd be fine especially at the kick in where he could run his 20m and launch it. The issue is he's performing a valuable role for us of which Smith would offer around 15 % of the impact.
I'd put Smith in his preferred ruck role and send BigO forward. Smith is welcome to crash into Moyle or Witts for 2 quarters.

From Fages presser this morning:
Happiest/most comfortable I've seen Fages look in a prematch press conference probably all year. I think part of him is really looking forward to the challenge on Saturday, and seeing how the playing and coaching groups respond to potential/likely adversity.

Certainly don't expect we'll be taking the Suns lightly like we seemed to this time last year.

Happiest/most comfortable I've seen Fages look in a prematch press conference probably all year. I think part of him is really looking forward to the challenge on Saturday, and seeing how the playing and coaching groups respond to potential/likely adversity.

Certainly don't expect we'll be taking the Suns lightly like we seemed to this time last year.
Its kind of a no pressure free hit game to me. It doesn't matter if we lose this just have to try and bunch of things and go hard

Joe's football is too dumb to play full back.

Bruce was dropped because 3 subs in a row is not good - Brain must play.

Henry - we crave height because if they play Moyle & Witts and we don't have him, they are home.

If we play Prior, that leaves Cal to be omitted.

Glad it is not my job.
If Cal ever gets omitted get ready for me to go Full Troppo.

A broken jaw is a fracture, then it's just the severity - non-displaced means it's broken but it doesn't need to be re-set or re-aligned, i.e. via surgery. Displaced means it's broken and it needs to be re-set or re-aligned to heal properly, which is worse and requires more recovery.
I've had a fractured jaw that was not broken all the way thru, bloody cricket balls. Needed no surgery, wiring etc. It healed much quicker than I expected. Swelling down in a few days, was back playing in 2 weeks. Granted it was cricket, no body contact etc, but felt no jarring or pain when running or bowling. Also had a cracked cheek bone and nose from a cricket ball. Not the best batsman, lol. But hey if ya gonna bowl bouncers ya gonna cop bouncers. Gave my share of bruises etc.

I thought there was a difference between broken (complete snap in 2 pieces) and a fracture (from a crack to to what's called a green tree fracture).

We must’ve been watching different games but that is ok.

I thought he looked over awed (understandably) and second guessed himself the whole game particularly that instance in the half forward where he stopped to basically handball because he had no clue what to do and certainly didn’t back himself like say Morris did.

Also the Brown comparison is a bit silly. Brown was in his first year and Smith is in his fourth year.

Anyway, he couldn’t do any worse than last week and like I said I just thought debuting him against the flying Swans was kinda setting him up to fail in a finals like game. Not many adjust to the pace like Wilmot and Morris did in debut.
Well said, well measured thought out comments.

I thought there was a difference between broken (complete snap in 2 pieces) and a fracture (from a crack to to what's called a green tree fracture).
"Green stick fracture" - had one in my wrist.

But no, they're all considered a broken bone. My daughter even did a buckle fracture which is less severe again, but still considered broken according to her physio and GP.

I don't mind Joe down back, he has a bit more body mass than Hippy and should be stronger in a defensive contest. He's pretty mobile and I think he plays on King.

Walter out and Witts in, makes sense that Smith stays in. Joe down back so he'll get the second ruck role, maybe more in the ruck than fwd. Big O fwd more. Morris, I think sticks to the 3rd tall role he's use to. Lester to Lukosious. I think Long is the fwd we may underestimate, hopefully between Berry n Prior they keep him quiet.

I'm thinking with the injuries and the patchwork bandaids around the ground, there is no way complacency will be a factor. It feel like that's been a problem v Suns the second time we play them in the season. I can see the midfield really digging in this game. They know it's their output that will determine the game. No Miller to tag anyone, they should get a good run.

I still think we can win this one, with the changes etc. If we play smart, play to our roles. We've been pretty gutsy lately, digging in when needed, this won't be any different.

"Green stick fracture" - had one in my wrist.

But no, they're all considered a broken bone. My daughter even did a buckle fracture which is less severe again, but still considered broken according to her physio and GP.
Like all Stetsons are cowboy hats but not all cowboy hats are Stetsons.

By that I mean they all fall under the category of a break but there's a variety of types and severity.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not convinced they will send Jo back at all, maybe Hippy will get a go at some stage.
I think we start with just Prior, Lester and see how thing go in the 1st quarter.
Best thing is to keep it out of their forward 50 as much as possible.
Every player in the team below has played defense so should know the system structure.
Big O to drop back a bit more into defense.
Berry and Rayner to help out in defense also.
Not sure on the sub it depends on the clubs plan be it tall or not. Smith for now. McKenna before Brain.
Fletcher, Berry and Bailey played wings last week. Bailey had his most wing time this year and 2nd most TOG for the year.
If Berry goes into defense, then Ashcroft back to more wing time.
Berry to start on the ground but just not sure if it will be wing or defense. So, on the I/C for now.
Berry the same height as Lester so most likely he gets a go in defense.

FB: Zorko - Prior - Starcevich
HB: Wilmot - Lester - Brain
CTR: Fletcher - McCluggage - Bailey
HF: Ah Chee - Daniher - Lohmann
FF: Rayner - Hippy - Cameron

Foll: McInerney - Neale - Dunkley
I/C: McKenna - Ashcroft - Berry - Morris
Sub: Smith

I don't mind Joe down back, he has a bit more body mass than Hippy and should be stronger in a defensive contest. He's pretty mobile and I think he plays on King.

Walter out and Witts in, makes sense that Smith stays in. Joe down back so he'll get the second ruck role, maybe more in the ruck than fwd. Big O fwd more. Morris, I think sticks to the 3rd tall role he's use to. Lester to Lukosious. I think Long is the fwd we may underestimate, hopefully between Berry n Prior they keep him quiet.

I'm thinking with the injuries and the patchwork bandaids around the ground, there is no way complacency will be a factor. It feel like that's been a problem v Suns the second time we play them in the season. I can see the midfield really digging in this game. They know it's their output that will determine the game. No Miller to tag anyone, they should get a good run.

I still think we can win this one, with the changes etc. If we play smart, play to our roles. We've been pretty gutsy lately, digging in when needed, this won't be any different.
I imagine they will send their resting ruckman forward whenever they can to really stretch us for height. It's a double edged sword - if they're allowed deep high entries it will be to their advantage, but if we're able to pressure them into scrappy hack kicks inside 50 we should be able to run the ball out.

Not convinced they will send Jo back at all, maybe Hippy will get a go at some stage.
I think we start with just Prior, Lester and see how thing go in the 1st quarter.
Best thing is to keep it out of their forward 50 as much as possible.
Every player in the team below has played defense so should know the system structure.
Big O to drop back a bit more into defense.
Berry and Rayner to help out in defense also.
Not sure on the sub it depends on the clubs plan be it tall or not. Smith for now. McKenna before Brain.
Fletcher, Berry and Bailey played wings last week. Bailey had his most wing time this year and 2nd most TOG for the year.
If Berry goes into defense, then Ashcroft back to more wing time.
Berry to start on the ground but just not sure if it will be wing or defense. So, on the I/C for now.
Berry the same height as Lester so most likely he gets a go in defense.

FB: Zorko - Prior - Starcevich
HB: Wilmot - Lester - Brain
CTR: Fletcher - McCluggage - Bailey
HF: Ah Chee - Daniher - Lohmann
FF: Rayner - Hippy - Cameron

Foll: McInerney - Neale - Dunkley
I/C: McKenna - Ashcroft - Berry - Morris
Sub: Smith
McKenna sub for mine. If we get no injuries, he can come on midway through the third quarter when there's already some fatigue in the game. He goes into the back 7 and we shift Berry into the midfield. OR we shift Joe/Eric forward if we are struggling to score with our setup as it's been to that point, and take the gamble with a smaller back line.

Must admit I wouldn’t be surprised if the Suns dropping of Walter won’t eventuate and they’ll play him and bring someone else out. I was really surprised they’d him otherwise.

Agree with Me Malice that the dropping of Sexton is a bonus because i too have this feeling that he seems to save his best for us.

Looking at the experience thread, we really should be winning this but can’t help but think our decimated back line could be our undoing. Just need our forwards and mids to really be top of there game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back