Preview Round 20 - Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns, Sat 27, 4:35PM; People First Stadium, Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't mind Joe down back, he has a bit more body mass than Hippy and should be stronger in a defensive contest. He's pretty mobile and I think he plays on King.

Walter out and Witts in, makes sense that Smith stays in. Joe down back so he'll get the second ruck role, maybe more in the ruck than fwd. Big O fwd more. Morris, I think sticks to the 3rd tall role he's use to. Lester to Lukosious. I think Long is the fwd we may underestimate, hopefully between Berry n Prior they keep him quiet.

I'm thinking with the injuries and the patchwork bandaids around the ground, there is no way complacency will be a factor. It feel like that's been a problem v Suns the second time we play them in the season. I can see the midfield really digging in this game. They know it's their output that will determine the game. No Miller to tag anyone, they should get a good run.

I still think we can win this one, with the changes etc. If we play smart, play to our roles. We've been pretty gutsy lately, digging in when needed, this won't be any different.
Don't forget Rosas is back as well, not sure who'll take him, McKenna ? , Brain?, Zorko?
Will be a great game to watch how we defend or more so who takes who.

Tbh it feels like a 65/35 game in Gold Coasts favour. They've got great form at home, it's a local derby which they'll be up for, they lose this and finals for them are almost gone and we have no key defenders in our line up.

It'll be a frustrating loss and I think it will kill our top 2 chances, but even if we lose this one, top four will still be a chance for us which would still be an unbelievable finish from where we were earlier in the season.

Anyone going down?
I hope we can get a pretty decent crowd down there.
Don’t think I have ever seen a game down there with more than about 13-14k?
And even then it felt and looked more like 8k🤔
I flew up to a game there a few years ago and sat in, and looked into, the sun all day. When the ball went into the shade you could not see a thing. It was Answerth's first game I think. The most common comment was 'Who was that?' rather then 'Ball!'. Robbo kicked a few.

I would never go again to that ground unless it was a night match. At the late starting time has the sun set?

I flew up to a game there a few years ago and sat in, and looked into, the sun all day. When the ball went into the shade you could not see a thing. It was Answerth's first game I think. The most common comment was 'Who was that?' rather then 'Ball!'. Robbo kicked a few.

I would never go again to that ground unless it was a night match. At the late starting time has the sun set?
I hate the place for that very reason but I am hoping that our tickets are far enough around that we won’t have the sun for long.

Anyone going down?
Apparently, according to Evans it could be sell out (23K).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh it feels like a 65/35 game in Gold Coasts favour. They've got great form at home, it's a local derby which they'll be up for, they lose this and finals for them are almost gone and we have no key defenders in our line up.

It'll be a frustrating loss and I think it will kill our top 2 chances, but even if we lose this one, top four will still be a chance for us which would still be an unbelievable finish from where we were earlier in the season.
Tbh I'd be still satisfied with 5th or 6th , considering as you say from where we came from.
Get a home final with that.
Could be against the Gold Coast, crazy stuff.

I don't mind Joe down back, he has a bit more body mass than Hippy and should be stronger in a defensive contest. He's pretty mobile and I think he plays on King.

Walter out and Witts in, makes sense that Smith stays in. Joe down back so he'll get the second ruck role, maybe more in the ruck than fwd. Big O fwd more. Morris, I think sticks to the 3rd tall role he's use to. Lester to Lukosious. I think Long is the fwd we may underestimate, hopefully between Berry n Prior they keep him quiet.

I'm thinking with the injuries and the patchwork bandaids around the ground, there is no way complacency will be a factor. It feel like that's been a problem v Suns the second time we play them in the season. I can see the midfield really digging in this game. They know it's their output that will determine the game. No Miller to tag anyone, they should get a good run.

I still think we can win this one, with the changes etc. If we play smart, play to our roles. We've been pretty gutsy lately, digging in when needed, this won't be any different.
Agree that Long has been quite impressive the last few games I've seen him play. Has turned into a pretty dangerous forward. Whoever is on him needs to be pretty switched on

Anyone going down?
The top 7 highest AFL attendances at Carrara are all held by Victorian teams playing GC lol. 20K+

"Green stick fracture" - had one in my wrist.

But no, they're all considered a broken bone. My daughter even did a buckle fracture which is less severe again, but still considered broken according to her physio and GP.
When you do it real good you wind up like this!

I do not recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neale and Dunkley below par in the Swans game so an expected lift from those two tomorrow.
McCluggage in good form and recent cameos from Rayner have been important.
Regarding Ashcroft, we can only hope for solid improvement and for him to regain confidence in his body.
Hopefully our midfield back to top form will result in less forward 50 entries for the Suns.

If we want top 4 we just have to find a way to beat the Suns at their home ground tomorrow.

I think to make top 4 we have to win the next 2 v Suns & Saints.
Then hope we get some players back and no more injuries.
It is going to be a tough 5 weeks of games with big KPD issues for a fair bit of that time.

Various teams have had periods of big form drop-offs this year. We don't want that either as the 8 can easily be missed.

Surely Starc goes to Long? I don't think Berry needs a pure tagging role, our mids will match up well across the board without having to limit Berry, who has been in great form.

If King continues to have the yips that's going to be handy, but I also reckon if Smith is played back, he'll be more useful than up forward. Take away his need to mark and kick for goal, might reduce his pressure a bit.

I can see us losing, but I can also see us having a galvanising win that says we can adjust for anything.

Let's go take their home ground from them!!!

Surely Starc goes to Long? I don't think Berry needs a pure tagging role, our mids will match up well across the board without having to limit Berry, who has been in great form.

If King continues to have the yips that's going to be handy, but I also reckon if Smith is played back, he'll be more useful than up forward. Take away his need to mark and kick for goal, might reduce his pressure a bit.

I can see us losing, but I can also see us having a galvanising win that says we can adjust for anything.

Let's go take their home ground from them!!!

I'm more concerned by rosas than by Long I think.

Can't believe Tom Berry is playing again - Long, Berry and Holman is a lot of spots to devote to try hard pressure forwards. I know Dimma is used to having a lot of those from his richmond time, but even Castagna had more skill with the footy than those three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back