Opinion Round 20 Changes vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously, I am chuffed we are rewarding good WAFL form of our second and third year players, but it's a bit of an odd time to do it, as this fortnight is the most critical one for our season. Also, I've always considered Mzungu a player who plays off the half back line role-wise, and Ibbo is obviously from defense - so I'm surprised they've picked two forward type players. Mayne to stay in defense to replace Ibbo with Crozier to play forward?

So what is the mood like for Geelong fans? Are they equally positve their side will smash us as we are negative? Don't intend to go to their board to check

They're in a good place mostly. Lots of discussion about the Beatles' best album, Stevie J etc. Definitely a different kettle of fish to the flogs on the Carltank board.

Seriously, I am chuffed we are rewarding good WAFL form of our second and third year players, but it's a bit of an odd time to do it, as this fortnight is the most critical one for our season. Also, I've always considered Mzungu a player who plays off the half back line role-wise, and Ibbo is obviously from defense - so I'm surprised they've picked two forward type players. Mayne to stay in defense to replace Ibbo with Crozier to play forward?

See I am the opposite, I am glad we are trying something different again to increase our scoring power. Ibbo or no Ibbo we already have the defence to win a flag, but we have nowhere near the attack to win it. It's a bold move and personally I like it.

Good to see WAFL form rewarded. I think Sheridan would have come in instead of Duffy, but Bond said he's injured. Duffy next in line atm.
Mora needs a few more weeks after being dropped & id be very surprised to see Sylvia again this year (even though he's out injured atm)

Who plays in defence on all the speedy types?

from memory, a lot of their speed is through the middle...christenson, stokes and murdoch run similar patterns to our dpearce and hill from what I remember ( don't watch a heap of geelong games ) so it's more about controlling their receives out of stoppages and spread from congestion / overlap.
We've been good at containing geelong in this regard in our last few games - I don't know how it will translate this week though because it was definately lax against st kilda and carlton.

having 2 new additions to the gameplan isn't necessarily going to add to our cohesion levels IMO, the saving grace being that the back 6 and midfield are settled. Hoping they can provide the pressure to reduce geelongs effectiveness moving forward ....we'll soon see !!

Freo can absolutely win this, very few excuses as disappointing as Ibbo's out is and as much as we'll miss the presence of Mzungu who's an absolute workhorse and quiet achiever. However, not at all keen on Duffy. Seems a cheap fix to a bigger problem. I like his arrogance and ability to take the ball on, but I'm not totally sure I agree with playing him or see him as a great white hope.

Freo can absolutely win this, very few excuses as disappointing as Ibbo's out is and as much as we'll miss the presence of Mzungu who's an absolute workhorse and quiet achiever. However, not at all keen on Duffy. Seems a cheap fix to a bigger problem. I like his arrogance and ability to take the ball on, but I'm not totally sure I agree with playing him or see him as a great white hope.

agree with the post but who exactly said he was the great white hope?

They interviewed him and he parroted the usual Ross-speak about effort and role. Just for once would have loved to see someone say they're gonna rip the joint apart.

I'm going full romance on this one. Duffy's gonna with the game off his own boot on debut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After last week's umpiring debacles (against Freo, for Geelong), I was interested to see who the umpires will be.
Stevic, Armstrong and Pannell. The fact I don't recognise the names must be a good thing?
As long as we don't see "Fisher". Probably too much to ask that he's had his arse reamed and pinned up in the VFL reserves comp as second emergency?

I'm with you, re-run of last year during the H&A season.
I don't see it being that bad. We may lose... but i don't see it turning out to be that kind of flogging.

Though if we run with barlow as a high half forward I think we'll get reamed. Savage killed us against the saints. Imagine what mackie could do if barlow is his match up.

Freo's back line is the best in the business so we can probably sacrifice a bit of the defensive dominance if it means our scoring increases.

I.e. allow 2-3 more goals through but kick 5-6 more.
Our defence relies on the mids and half forwards helping to slow the ball down.

Our pressure has been down in recent weeks. Unless we pick it back up our back 6 won't save us and we'll get opened up by the cats' pace and quick ball movement.

Defence isn't just about the back 6.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Round 20 Changes vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back