Preview Round 20 - Essendon VS St Kilda - Marvel - Saturday 27/7/24 - 4:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, but I think most are disappointed because there have been chances to fight for a top 4 spot - no, we're not going to make a Prelim, but playing 2 finals would be great experience, win lose or draw. Plus, it can be hard to see improvements, even though they're there, when you completely drop off for no discernible reason.
If the season ended today, I'd be very happy with the progress. If we split our remaining games, still happy. If we disappear into the abyss again, not so happy.
Complete capitulation would be seriously annoying. Not hung up on wins but do want the sort of effort that we mostly have been putting in.

After watching some of the replay it is the skill errors that are ripping us apart again. Missed kicks, fumbles, handballs direct to opposition for goals, accuracy in front of goal etc. etc. Seriously hard to watch.

It is the enemy within that gives the opposition a massive leg up and in turn sets us on a path of panic and dissapointment. You can see it unfolding.

We don't seem capable of slowing the game down for 10 minutes to regain control or just having someone stay back in the opposition goalsquare. Things good teams do. We are still easy to play against.

We start well in 90% of games with little reward. It only takes a goal or two for the opposition to get right back in. 3 goals up and we go to sleep.

So, here we are the final chance IMO. Sick of the talk, sick of players feeling sorry for themselves. Do it on the field is all that matters this weekend or it is over for the year.

After watching some of the replay it is the skill errors that are ripping us apart again. Missed kicks, fumbles, handballs direct to opposition for goals, accuracy in front of goal etc. etc. Seriously hard to watch.

It is the enemy within that gives the opposition a massive leg up and in turn sets us on a path of panic and dissapointment. You can see it unfolding.

We don't seem capable of slowing the game down for 10 minutes to regain control or just having someone stay back in the opposition goalsquare. Things good teams do. We are still easy to play against.

We start well in 90% of games with little reward. It only takes a goal or two for the opposition to get right back in. 3 goals up and we go to sleep.

So, here we are the final chance IMO. Sick of the talk, sick of players feeling sorry for themselves. Do it on the field is all that matters this weekend or it is over for the year.
Have been posting pretty much the same.
Last week was thanks for coming, first hands on the ball at centre bounces, we fumble, opposition clean pick up goal.
It's a recurring dream.

100%. I don't know why everyone wants Wright back in this week when he hasn't even played a game in the VFL to regain some type of form
I'm right with you on this one. He was dropped not managed. Therefore, he hasn't done anything that warrants his inclusion. Same applies to Heppell.

I agree that Goldy should be omitted but bringing Wright back has several issues

1. We are too tall again.
2. Our forward line becomes too predictable.
3. His omission makes us think about different ways to enter the forward line.

Even under the roof, he struggles to clunk marks. This means opposition can spoil him. We all know where it goes from there. For whatever reason, he's just not the player he used to be. I'd prefer to see him get confidence and form at VFL level before bringing him back. Also, I like the idea of Caddy roaming around. He's only played 5 games and has an impact. I'm not saying we can rely on Caddy being a match winner just yet but he has been more than serviceable so far.

I'd love to see Parish back - we've missed him - but, in reality, he hasn't played for about 2 months. He missed the first few games this season and, when he returned, it took him 3 games to get going. Probably ease him back into things a bit.

We have an issue with our wings. As it stands, we have Jones, Cox and Duursma as candidates. All can push forward and bob up for goals but the balance isn't quite right. I'd consider managing Stringer and maybe put Cox in his place.

Finally, I'm a little bit over how many folks have completely given up on us. I know we've had a bunch of false dawns and that the past 2 months have been frustrating and disappointing. We all agree that there's a mentality problem with the playing group, but things can change pretty quickly. Granted, we can't afford to lose this one, but we're up to our necks in it. Go Bombers!

Cheers

I'm right with you on this one. He was dropped not managed. Therefore, he hasn't done anything that warrants his inclusion. Same applies to Heppell.

I agree that Goldy should be omitted but bringing Wright back has several issues

1. We are too tall again.
2. Our forward line becomes too predictable.
3. His omission makes us think about different ways to enter the forward line.

Even under the roof, he struggles to clunk marks. This means opposition can spoil him. We all know where it goes from there. For whatever reason, he's just not the player he used to be. I'd prefer to see him get confidence and form at VFL level before bringing him back. Also, I like the idea of Caddy roaming around. He's only played 5 games and has an impact. I'm not saying we can rely on Caddy being a match winner just yet but he has been more than serviceable so far.

I'd love to see Parish back - we've missed him - but, in reality, he hasn't played for about 2 months. He missed the first few games this season and, when he returned, it took him 3 games to get going. Probably ease him back into things a bit.

We have an issue with our wings. As it stands, we have Jones, Cox and Duursma as candidates. All can push forward and bob up for goals but the balance isn't quite right. I'd consider managing Stringer and maybe put Cox in his place.

Finally, I'm a little bit over how many folks have completely given up on us. I know we've had a bunch of false dawns and that the past 2 months have been frustrating and disappointing. We all agree that there's a mentality problem with the playing group, but things can change pretty quickly. Granted, we can't afford to lose this one, but we're up to our necks in it. Go Bombers!

Cheers
A 70% Parish is a massive upgrade on Perk.

In- Roberts, A.Davey, Hobbs
Out- Kelly, Guelfi, Goldstein

B- J.Ridley B.McKay A.McGrath
HB- A.Roberts J.Laverde M.Redman
C- N.Martin Z.Merrett X.Duursma
HF- J.Gresham H.Jones A.Perkins
F- A.Davey N.Cox K.Langford
FOLL- S.Draper J.Caldwell D.Shiel
I/C- S.Durham, B.Hobbs, N.Caddy, J.Stringer
Sub- N.Hind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we lose this I reckon we should park the bus for the year, send those off for surgery who need it, play the kids who need it. We need at least 3, possibly 4 more wins to make finals from here. With 5 games to play. Saints, Freo, Suns, Sydney (all in Melbourne), Brisbane (away). Can't see us winning 3/5 or 4/5 of those without one of them being the Saints.

So we'll win this one, lose to Freo, win against GCS then play for finals hopes in the last 2 rounds, finish 8th - 10th and get a draft pack around the range of a Kako bid :hearteyes:

Gresham's play on for Cox's sitter really pissed me off. Didn't even run to thank him just wanted that goal on the stat sheet. Hope he gets dropped.
Ive seen all of Cox, Jones, Wright, Draper, Stringer and Langford miss those 'sitters'. When you catch the opposition napping and have a chance to make a goal opportunity a certainty, you should take it every time.

Agree, but I think most are disappointed because there have been chances to fight for a top 4 spot - no, we're not going to make a Prelim, but playing 2 finals would be great experience, win lose or draw. Plus, it can be hard to see improvements, even though they're there, when you completely drop off for no discernible reason.
If the season ended today, I'd be very happy with the progress. If we split our remaining games, still happy. If we disappear into the abyss again, not so happy.
Prepare to be not so happy

Hobbs practising tagging is a good move. Frees up Caldwell to be more attacking - he's an excellent field kick. Love that.
Rated in the top 10 worst kicks inside 50 .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back